BH Hires Two-time State Champ Coach - Ronnie Gage

HillGuy

Austin College Football Coach Ronnie Gage Steps Down

Austin College's head football coach, Ronnie Gage, is stepping down, going back to the high school football coaching ranks.

After four seasons at the helm for the Kangaroo football team, Gage accepted the same position at Barbers Hill ISD, a class 4A Texas school near the Houston area. He will also serve as that school's athletic director.

Gage came to Austin College prior to the 2006 season and the 'Roos led the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference in rushing each of the four years.  Austin College also finished among the top rushing teams in NCAA Division III every year over that span.

Austin College officials thanked Gage for his service and for helping move the football program in a new direction.

"We are thankful for the time that we had Ronnie Gage as our head football coach," said Vice President for Student Affairs and Athletics Tim Millerick.  "He was instrumental in moving the program to a new, improved level of competition as we transitioned to the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference."

Under Gage, the 'Roos posted an overall record of 17-22, including a 9-17 mark against SCAC competition.  In four years, Gage coached 40 players to All-Conference honors, and in his first three seasons, 43 of his student-athletes were named to the SCAC Academic Honor Roll.  This year's Academic Honor Roll has not yet been announced.

"As I understand it, this move is a very good one for Ronnie and his family," said Millerick.  "On behalf of the entire Austin College community and in particular those associated with the athletics family, I thank Ronnie for the effort he put forth here and wish him all of the best."

Before coming to Austin College, Gage was a two-time Texas 5A State Championship coach at Lewisville High School, compiling a career record of 137-60-9 in his 18-year high school coaching career.  His teams won five district championships over that span.  Gage also formerly served as the president of the Texas High School Coaches Association, and in 2009 was inducted into the THSCA Hall of Honor in recognition of his accomplishments.

Austin College athletic teams participate as a member of the NCAA, Division III, and the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BH85" post="749458" timestamp="1264463455"]
I think the new AD wants to do away with Baseball.  They just had a news story that they have removed over 50 bats from the high school.

Oh wait...sorry.  It was not baseball bats, but the flying/biting kind.  My bad.   ;D
[/quote]

Yea, I was waiting to see who was going to play off the BAT STORY. I really thought someone would go after the school board with that one. You know something like Bats removed from BH High School....new school board election coming soon. ;D

[quote name="GCMPats" post="749728" timestamp="1264526512"]
You boys be sure to go and meet your new coach.

http://www.bhisd.net/PublicNotices/Board/MeetGage.pdf

[/quote]

Man Pats, you sure do spend a lot of time on the BH website.  Envy is certainly demanding these days..... ;D ;D Just picking at ya friend.  ;) ;)

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="bh89-2" post="749784" timestamp="1264531045"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=64943.msg749728#msg749728 date=1264526512]
You boys be sure to go and meet your new coach.

http://www.bhisd.net/PublicNotices/Board/MeetGage.pdf

[/quote]

Man Pats, you sure do spend a lot of time on the BH website.  Envy is certainly demanding these days..... ;D ;D Just picking at ya friend.  ;) ;)
[/quote]

Always something exciting happening on the Hill. Baytown is just so boring!

Keep your friends close. Keep your enemies closer.

WOW!  Got to meet and hear Coach Gage tonight as he addressed the public in an informal gathering to welcome him to Barbers Hill.  He is FANTASTIC and just exactly what Barbers Hill needed.  I had heard great things, and I can tell you he is definitely the real thing.  Way to go BH and everyone who had anything to do with bring him here!

Very compelling man, Coach Gage.  Congrats to Dr. Poole and the School Board for their efforts to bring a class act to BH.  Can't wait to see our poor athletically limited football team kick some PNG and Dayton ARSE.....  ;)

Maybe we should extend the School Board Appreciation month to 6 months for restoring pride and respect to BH?     

[quote name="Stranger" post="750843" timestamp="1264686450"]
How about we wait until some W's are put up before we bow down to the school board.  Their voice in who is hired is not as big as you might think.
[/quote]

I figured you might like that.......  ;) ;) It's hard to bow down at a school board meeting when GCMPATS is standing in the door of the board room....  ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="TrueBlue" post="750701" timestamp="1264647037"]
WOW!  Got to meet and hear Coach Gage tonight as he addressed the public in an informal gathering to welcome him to Barbers Hill.  He is FANTASTIC and just exactly what Barbers Hill needed.  I had heard great things, and I can tell you he is definitely the real thing.  Way to go BH and everyone who had anything to do with bring him here!
[/quote]

Sorry I missed it!!!!! I thought you all may not appriciate me sharing this head cold with everyone. I'll be there in august though. Rock on Coach!!!!!!

[quote name="Stranger" post="750843" timestamp="1264686450"]
How about we wait until some W's are put up before we bow down to the school board.  Their voice in who is hired is not as big as you might think.
[/quote]

Not to worry Stranger. There are still some serious issues on the school board and I think most folks know that. It is just that the sinners won't come out and support the elections so the church vote is twice as strong as it should be but I know that you know that. Like we say in the USA, if ya don't vote don't complain and our voters just don't come out on those days. I vote so I will continue to complain but I'm sure I will be taking some shots now!!!!! ;D

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="bh89-2" post="750855" timestamp="1264688493"]
[quote author=Stranger link=topic=64943.msg750843#msg750843 date=1264686450]
[/quote]

I figured you might like that.......  ;) ;) It's hard to bow down at a school board meeting when GCMPATS is standing in the door of the board room....  ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Hey.......what did I do?  8)

[quote name="GCMPats" post="750864" timestamp="1264690924"]
[quote author=bh89-2 link=topic=64943.msg750855#msg750855 date=1264688493]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just pokin fun at you friend........  ;D ;D  So ya'll gonna let your running back transfer to The Hill this spring?  We'll take really good care of him.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="bh89-2" post="750867" timestamp="1264691108"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=64943.msg750864#msg750864 date=1264690924]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just pokin fun at you friend........  ;D ;D  So ya'll gonna let your running back transfer to The Hill this spring?  We'll take really good care of him.
[/quote]

Who we talking about here? Guillory?

Glad to hear about the new coach! I don't think you can go wrong with brining in a coach of this caliber. I have no doubt that cage will make BH football more competitive. The man has allready proved so much and we are lucky to have him. Those that attended the meeting was there any dates mentioned of when he will be activily performing the AD job? Anything about Football training? I hope Cage gets the boys into the state 7 on 7 tournament this summer I know we have competed in local 7 on 7, but the state tournament would be better IMHO.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="BHFAN" post="750891" timestamp="1264693620"]
Glad to hear about the new coach! I don't think you can go wrong with brining in a coach of this caliber. I have no doubt that cage will make BH football more competitive. The man has allready proved so much and we are lucky to have him. Those that attended the meeting was there any dates mentioned of when he will be activily performing the AD job? Anything about Football training? I hope Cage gets the boys into the state 7 on 7 tournament this summer I know we have competed in local 7 on 7, but the state tournament would be better IMHO.
[/quote]

I talked to parent who attended last night, not too sure how sold on 7 on 7 Coach Gage is. Said he was "one of the last ones on board" with 7 on 7.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="750881" timestamp="1264692623"]
[quote author=bh89-2 link=topic=64943.msg750867#msg750867 date=1264691108]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not sure of his name, I called him "Slippery".  Little Barry Sanders.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="bh89-2" post="750908" timestamp="1264695234"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=64943.msg750881#msg750881 date=1264692623]
[quote author=bh89-2 link=topic=64943.msg750867#msg750867 date=1264691108]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not sure of his name, I called him "Slippery".  Little Barry Sanders.
[/quote]
Sophomomore?

Why would a coach that runs a running attack offense care about 7 on 7?  I just hope he mixes it up, which I'm sure he will.  We have a couple of very talented Wrs. coming back over the next couple of years, hope we do not stop the passing all together.    Can't wait to see how different things will look next year.  Anybody know what kind of defensive formations his teams have ran in the past ?  Have heard and read nothing but great things about the man.

[quote name="Eagle0011" post="750920" timestamp="1264696406"]
[u][b]Why would a coach that runs a running attack offense care about 7 on 7?[/b][/u]  I just hope he mixes it up, which I'm sure he will.  We have a couple of very talented Wrs. coming back over the next couple of years, hope we do not stop the passing all together.    Can't wait to see how different things will look next year.  Anybody know what kind of defensive formations his teams have ran in the past ?  Have heard and read nothing but great things about the man.
[/quote]

Oh I dont know maybe keep your recievers and QB sharp ;D you have the throw to open the run and visa versa I doubt we will go to a straight run offense. That wasn't the case for his Austin College team anyway.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder