Who Will Be The Next Barbers Hill HC?

KFDM COOP

[quote name="GCMPats" post="716163" timestamp="1258991829"]
This whole thing is kinda like watching a NASCAR event. I don't really care who wins or know who's driving what car, but the wrecks are spectacular.

Gotta love small town politics.
[/quote]

It's official....I will be the next head coach at BH. 

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="7mary3" post="716166" timestamp="1258992040"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=62612.msg716163#msg716163 date=1258991829]
This whole thing is kinda like watching a NASCAR event. I don't really care who wins or know who's driving what car, but the wrecks are spectacular.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think they would rather have Sheriff Buford T. Justice over The Bandit. He's more of a "take charge" kind of guy.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="716169" timestamp="1258992372"]
[quote author=7mary3 link=topic=62612.msg716166#msg716166 date=1258992040]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think they would rather have Sheriff Buford T. Justice over The Bandit. He's more of a "take charge" kind of guy.
[/quote]

Haha, I couldn't help it.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="716169" timestamp="1258992372"]
[quote author=7mary3 link=topic=62612.msg716166#msg716166 date=1258992040]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
If Barbers Hill doesn't watch it, they could end up with Roscoe P Train, or even worse, Barney Fie.
They really let a good coach go.

To clear yet another rumor starting BH-89 is not a board member ::)  I think allot of you are letting your personal relationships get in the way of common sense. I will agree that BH just got rid of a great person, but it was and is time for a change. The BH football program has become stagnate and needs some fresh air in order to breathe and believe again. Some seem so shocked that this happened. Do you keep up with sports much? 10 years as a head football coach is a life time and whether it was the right thing to do or not someone took a chance to see if they can make BH better! No one knows if it was the right or wrong thing to do at this point, but we all have our opinions. This is not a game that we are talking about here it is BH! Some are willing to hang out and watch 5 more losing seasons and blame it on the level of athletes that we have at the Hill. It’s common sense that when something seems broke you fix the constant in the equation. I think Price did everything in his power to adjust, move folks around, try more aggressive play calling. Price did want BH to win, but when you start to lose the respect from the community, then the kids you are fighting a losing battle. Coach Price was a victim of circumstance, but on the other hand he benefited from coaching a BH as well. I’m curious what will happen at the next school he coaches at (I assume he will). Personally I think any program will benefit from his hire and will become more successful. 

[quote name="BHFAN" post="716285" timestamp="1259003261"]
To clear yet another rumor starting BH-89 is not a board member ::)  I think allot of you are letting your personal relationships get in the way of common sense. I will agree that BH just got rid of a great person, but it was and is time for a change. The BH football program has become stagnate and needs some fresh air in order to breathe and believe again. Some seem so shocked that this happened. Do you keep up with sports much? 10 years as a head football coach is a life time and whether it was the right thing to do or not someone took a chance to see if they can make BH better! No one knows if it was the right or wrong thing to do at this point, but we all have our opinions. This is not a game that we are talking about here it is BH! Some are willing to hang out and watch 5 more losing seasons and blame it on the level of athletes that we have at the Hill. It’s common sense that when something seems broke you fix the constant in the equation. I think Price did everything in his power to adjust, move folks around, try more aggressive play calling. Price did want BH to win, but when you start to lose the respect from the community, then the kids you are fighting a losing battle. Coach Price was a victim of circumstance, but on the other hand he benefited from coaching a BH as well. I’m curious what will happen at the next school he coaches at (I assume he will). Personally I think any program will benefit from his hire and will become more successful. 
[/quote]

No one said he WAS a board member, the post read something like "for all we know he could be". It's not hard to assume he's known about this for a while, just go back and read some of his posts during the season. The real touch of class was the morning after the PNG loss, he started the thread of "who will be the next Ad / coach at BH. Probably not word for word but you get the jest.

We do need to move on, just quit trying to spin what really went on. There are a lot of people still upset about it. You guys are happy you got what you wanted. But remember "you got what you wanted".

Quote from: Stranger on Today at 08:05:16 AM
I would not be suprised if this costs the Superintendent his job in the long run. 

No, who's gona fire him? The board and he are one.

Do what we do and vote against every current board member.  Not just because of this issue, but it is another good reason.

[quote name="UgotTRUCKED" post="716297" timestamp="1259004302"]
[quote author=BHFAN link=topic=62612.msg716285#msg716285 date=1259003261]
[/quote]

No one said he WAS a board member, the post read something like "for all we know he could be". It's not hard to assume he's known about this for a while, just go back and read some of his posts during the season. The real touch of class was the morning after the PNG loss, he started the thread of "who will be the next Ad / coach at BH. Probably not word for word but you get the jest.

We do need to move on, just quit trying to spin what really went on. There are a lot of people still upset about it. You guys are happy you got what you wanted. But remember "you got what you wanted".
[/quote]

My bad I mis read your post. I understand folks being upset, it sucks and there is no was to sugar coat something like this. I didn't know Price personally, but if I did I'm sure I wouldn't have like the decision.

[quote name="UgotTRUCKED" post="716943" timestamp="1259087574"]
[quote author=steele curtain link=topic=62612.msg716929#msg716929 date=1259086025]
From looking through these last 16 pages, it sounds like Trucked has the inside scoop.  Let the rest of us in on it.  Inquiring minds want to know.
[/quote]

No scoop, just a pretty good memory.
[/quote]

I know the feeling... Heck when I moved in Larry Hope was the AD/HC at the Hill... After 20 years in town its hard not to remember most of what has happened...

[quote name="UgotTRUCKED" post="716043" timestamp="1258953063"]
BH89-2 you can spin all you want, I was there and I know what went down. And it was the outporing of support for Don that totally wrecked the plans of your precious board, for which all we know "you" are a part of.

The deeds been done, no changing it now. Just don't try to spin the events to make yourself feel better. I want things to turn out great for BH just like everyone does. But I will not act like I'm happy with what happened when I'm not. The people on your side of the fence are happy, fine! Just don't expect everyone one to be happy with the way it was handled. You have been in here for the past couple of months spewing your dislike for coach Price, calling him names and just waiting for the day to come. Well it's easy to see that apparently someone tipped you off that it was going down because you've been crowing about it for weeks. Well now you can have your "county wide" B-B-Q that you boasted about a few weeks ago, you got what you wanted.  ENJOY!
[/quote]

You got me, I am a long time board member...... ;D  No sense in beating this dead horse, he is gone and I am looking forward to what the school does going forward.  Hope it all works out in the end, BBQ or not. Wished I had been on the Board though, he would not have made it this long.....promise you that.

Well, got to run and go check my hotwire to the Board room. ;) ;)

Guest SKEETER09
[quote name="bh89-2" post="717728" timestamp="1259199694"]
[quote author=UgotTRUCKED link=topic=62612.msg716043#msg716043 date=1258953063]
BH89-2 you can spin all you want, I was there and I know what went down. And it was the outporing of support for Don that totally wrecked the plans of your precious board, for which all we know "you" are a part of.

The deeds been done, no changing it now. Just don't try to spin the events to make yourself feel better. I want things to turn out great for BH just like everyone does. But I will not act like I'm happy with what happened when I'm not. The people on your side of the fence are happy, fine! Just don't expect everyone one to be happy with the way it was handled. You have been in here for the past couple of months spewing your dislike for coach Price, calling him names and just waiting for the day to come. Well it's easy to see that apparently someone tipped you off that it was going down because you've been crowing about it for weeks. Well now you can have your "county wide" B-B-Q that you boasted about a few weeks ago, you got what you wanted.  ENJOY!
[/quote]

You got me, I am a long time board member...... ;D  No sense in beating this dead horse, he is gone and I am looking forward to what the school does going forward.  Hope it all works out in the end, BBQ or not. Wished I had been on the Board though, he would not have made it this long.....promise you that.

Well, got to run and go check my hotwire to the Board room. ;) ;)
[/quote]

bh89-2 you would fit in with at least three of them and the reasons don't need to be explained.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="bh89-2" post="718099" timestamp="1259278691"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=62612.msg717912#msg717912 date=1259245619]
I'm hearing that a Skidmore has the inside track.
[/quote]

Ugottrucked don't get your hopes up, but if that happened I will go to every game naked for the tenure of that deal..... ;D ;D ;D  Good one GCMPats........ ;D  That will get some of the Price lovers fired up.....;D     
[/quote]

That comes from a very reliable source.

[quote name="bh89-2" post="718099" timestamp="1259278691"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=62612.msg717912#msg717912 date=1259245619]
I'm hearing that a Skidmore has the inside track.
[/quote]

Ugottrucked don't get your hopes up, but if that happened I will go to every game naked for the tenure of that deal..... ;D ;D ;D  Good one GCMPats........ ;D  That will get some of the Price lovers fired up.....;D     
[/quote]

I don't think their bringing Skidmore back nor do I think he would take the job. I think Skidmore is a great X's & O's coach, but I not a head coach. It doesn't matter cause no way their bringing him back.

Guest GCMPats
[size=14pt]Barbers Hill’s Price: ‘I still want to coach’ [/size]

By Dave Rogers
The Baytown Sun
Published November 28, 2009

Don Price, the second-winningest football coach in Barbers Hill history, said his school district induced him to resign by agreeing to a $153,000 buy-out of the final year and a half remaining on his contract as coach and athletic director.

The resignation of Price, whose 12-year record of 99-35 is second only to the 118-35-5 mark Lloyd Kelly set as BH coach from 1953-1967, was announced by the district Nov. 18.

Price said he intends to leave the school he’s served since 1992 at the end of the fall term.

“I’ve really enjoyed being here,” Price said. “The kids and staff were great. That’s what we do it for.”

Price said the buyout offer grew out of talks with BHISD superintendent Greg Poole that began the week of Barbers Hill’s final regular season game, which was played Oct. 30.

Price, 57, said he was told the school board was unhappy with the state of the Eagle athletic program and had created a position for him as assistant to the district’s assistant superintendent of planning and operations at his current salary of $98,800 per year.

“I still want to coach,” said Price, whose Eagle football teams won six district championships, the last in 2006.

Barbers Hill’s football team won Oct. 30 to qualify for the playoffs, joining the other four fall sports at the school – team tennis, volleyball, boys and girls cross country – in advancing past district play.

Price’s ninth playoff football team in the last 11 years finished the season 5-6 after a 21-7 bidistrict loss to Port Neches-Groves Nov. 13.

Despite never having coached a player who was recruited and signed by a NCAA Division I-A school, Price was 85-19 at BH after the 2006 season and had an overall winning percentage of 81.73, which at the time, ranked second all-time among Southeast Texas football coaches, according to Texas high school football historian Joe Lee Smith.

Only Alex Durley, who led both Beaumont Hebert and Beaumont West Brook to state titles (and was 97-13-3, 87.17 percent), was better.

After going 10-1 in 2006, Barbers Hill’s first season to move up from Class 3A to 4A, the Eagles missed the playoffs for the first time since 1998 when they finished 6-4 in 2007 and 3-6 in 2008.

Currently, Price’s overall winning percentage of 73.88 at Barbers Hill is good enough for 21st all-time in Southeast Texas and No. 9 all-time among those who coached 10 or more seasons in an area that runs from the Louisiana border to Livingston and nearly as far north as Lufkin.

Coaches below Price on the list include Dayton’s Jerry Stewart (72.19 percent) and Bum Phillips (70.12 percent), who coached at both Nederland and Port Neches-Groves.

More than his football team’s success, which included five 10-0 regular seasons (1999-2001, 2005-2006), Price is proud of the success of the entire Eagles athletic program and especially points to the 2006-07 school year.

That’s when Barbers Hill was moved up from Class 3A to 4A and, with a high school enrollment of 963 in a classification for schools ranging from 950 to 1,984 students, won district championship in 14 of the 15 sports in which it competed.

Girls basketball has reached the playoffs each of the 11 seasons Price has been athletic director. The boys track team has won district 10 years in a row and girls track has won district eight of nine years.

The softball team has been in the playoffs nine years in a row, including a trip to the state tournament in 2006, and the baseball team has been in the playoffs eight years in a row. The spring tennis team won eight straight district titles.

During Price’s tenure as AD, Barbers Hill implemented a volleyball program in 2001 that has qualified for the playoffs every year, reaching the state finals in 2003.

Under Price’s tenure, Barbers Hill also implemented middle school academic tutorials, middle school cross country and tennis programs and high school swimming.

“I was never an AD who was just a football coach,” he said. “We tried to have an overall program that offered every player in every sport the opportunity to compete at the highest level.

“I took my tenure as athletic director very seriously. I think if you compare it to the history here, it’s unsurpassed.”

A native of Nederland, Price grew up in the same neighborhood with current Dallas Cowboys coach Wade Phillips, whose father, Bum Phillips, went on to coach the Houston Oilers and New Orleans Saints.

He ran hurdles for the Lamar University track team and began his coaching career at the University of West Georgia. He returned to Texas and was an assistant coach at Troup, Hawkins and Joshua high schools before a two-year stint as head coach at Maypearl.

At Troup and Hawkins, he was on the staff of Kenneth Skidmore, who brought Price to Barbers Hill as his defensive coordinator and head track coach in 1992.

Price’s overall record as high school head coach is 105-48-1. His wife, Cindy, is secondary curriculum director for BHISD and she has a law practice in Mont Belvieu.

“My second year as head coach here we went 12-1 and played in the Astrodome,” Price said. “I learned right then it didn’t silence my critics.

“I learned right then to focus my energy on my kids and my coaching staff. I couldn’t worry about the rest of the stuff. I don’t have the time.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[quote name="bh89-2" post="719842" timestamp="1259456672"]
That's about typical of Price and the Baytown Sun.  Everything is everyone Else's fault and Price is great.  There is a very good reason his football players did not get div-1 offers, they had no support form him.  Furthermore, we did have div-1 players, but then again the Baytown Sun would have to say something negative about the coach they so love to kiss the A&$ of. 

How about all the playoff games he never won or how many he coached that embarrassed the fan base by such a poor job he did.  Write the "other side of the story" Baytown Sun.......  Geez!  Good riddance Price......hope your next school welcomes you as we once did.

Sincerely,
One of you critics
[/quote]
You did have division I players???
Except for the twins, which ones???  Price did the best he could with what he had.

This "BH 89-2" is a piece of work.

You will be sorry for sending Price away.  You mark my words.  You had no d1 players because there never has been an "elite" athlete go through BH.  Just a bunch of hard working WELL COACHED young men. 

You got what you wanted, now leave the man alone.  His family doesn't deserve to have to hear from ignorant people like yourself.

"Bh-89-2". You my friend are a joke. Your senseless posts continue to show how ignorance runs rampant through you.  Coach Price has more sense in his pinky finger than you do in your whole body.  You could not hold his jock.  Trust and believe that. Keep posting your non BH support crap.  Your the type of person    Who will not be happy with anyone.  I am sure the next coach will not walk on water either and you will
be the first person to persecute him too. Your a piece of work for sure.

[quote name="bh89-2" post="719842" timestamp="1259456672"]
That's about typical of Price and the Baytown Sun.  Everything is everyone Else's fault and Price is great.  There is a very good reason his football players did not get div-1 offers, they had no support form him.  Furthermore, we did have div-1 players, but then again the Baytown Sun would have to say something negative about the coach they so love to kiss the A&$ of.  

How about all the playoff games he never won or how many he coached that embarrassed the fan base by such a poor job he did.  Write the "other side of the story" Baytown Sun.......  Geez!  Good riddance Price......hope your next school welcomes you as we once did.

Sincerely,
One of you critics
[/quote]

It hurts for you to see what a stupid thing your school district just did doesn't it.  You just sent away a coach who has a great winning percentage, several championships and he did all this without any division 1 football players.  BTW there is not other side of the story.  He was a good FB coach, and a good AD.  

My goodness BH89-2 you and your friends got the man run off. Is that not enough? Why deny the man his accomplishments at the Hill. I promise you he earned them. That man has more character than your Supt. and Board will ever have. You got your cake, let it go. Are any of the facts in the Sun wrong? ???

BH89-92      I sure would like to know who you are. I played highschool football for BH from 1989-1992. I would lay money on it that you did not. And, if you did, you probably did not play that much that it mattered. And, again, if you did, i am sorry. Because if you did, you did not learn the meaning of loyalty, comradery, or friends. If you are not affraid to let me know who you are, e-mail, pm me, whatever... lets talk to see why you would bad mouth someone so bad.   

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    katty
    Newest Member
    katty