Tonight's Vidor-Livingston more than just a game for Some

daddy23

Tonight is a huge game for both Vidor and Livingston players and coaches.  For Vidor, a win means the first playoff birth in almost a decade and only the second (I think) in my lifetime.  (I realize that half the teams now make the playoffs but I do not think that reality undermines my point). 

Before the Opening Kickoff, Before the Coin Toss, Before the band plays the National Anthem, outside the Pirate Locker Room, a couple hundred young men gather.  These young boys, ranging in age from 5 to 14, will come because some Little League (or Jr High) coach told them that the Vidor Pirates need their help.  They need some extra support from these little Pirates.  Maybe all of those little Pirates gathered outside the locker room will give the Varsity Boys the extra fire that they need to come out strong, play hard all night, and obtain the victory.  Maybe those little faces and voices will be just what the Varsity Pirates need.

But I know at least 3 (and I guess many more) of these young men are really counting on the Pirates tonight.  While these boys are still young, each of them know how long it has been since Vidor went to the Playoffs.  Each of them have heard parents, teachers, and friends comment that "These are the games that Vidor loses."  Each of them have been exposed to the tradition of losing that some Pirate Fans have embraced. 

If the Pirates fall short this evening, then life will go on for everyone involved.  (I am not trying to make more out of this than it is--it is just a game.)  Coaches will keep coachings.  Players will continue to be students.  And Fans will return next season to cheer on the Team again. 

However, if we win tonight, then it will be a Spark of Hope (hopefully just one of many) that these Young Pirates outside the Locker Room will always remember.  They will remember the night that the Pirates won the big game--the night when Vidor's team came up big.  And no matter how many games they may lose through the years;  And no matter how many times their team may be outmatched, tonights victory can be one that gives hope and inspires a whole generation of Young Pirates. 

For that reason, I am hoping (and may even utter a little prayer--although I am sure that God doesnt give a damn) that the Pirates come up Big Tonight.  And although I hate to wish for another team's (full of equally deserving young men) season to end, I am headed to the stadium with more hope for a victory than I can ever remember--Hope for the Sake of those Young Men outside the Locker Room

[quote name="daddy23" post="699252" timestamp="1257552909"]
And if Livingston wins, I give them my hearty Congrats and sincerely wish them a long playoff run (as I do all 20-4A teams).  However, my heart is with the Pirates.
[/quote]

you know something daddy23, i have known you for awhile and this was well written...this will be the first time in some of our lives that the youth football leagues, the youth baseball leagues or whatever leagues in Vidor put away the politics and stand side by side as one, the thought of those kids united brings a tear to my eye....life long dream somewhat reached....Go Pirates

I think there were more than a couple hundred kids that lined the walkway out of the Locker Room. 

Hats of to Coach Matthews for coming up with such a great idea.  Hats off to everyone who put politics aside and stood together. 

I wish everyone of you could have been there to see the excitement in the eyes of the Young Men who lined the sidewalks to cheer the Varsity Team on as the left the locker room.  Tonight, a lot of Young Men made a memory that may well last a lifetime. 

I know I made one that will last forever.

[quote name="daddy23" post="699979" timestamp="1257568904"]
I think there were more than a couple hundred kids that lined the walkway out of the Locker Room. 

Hats of to Coach Matthews for coming up with such a great idea.  Hats off to everyone who put politics aside and stood together. 

I wish everyone of you could have been there to see the excitement in the eyes of the Young Men who lined the sidewalks to cheer the Varsity Team on as the left the locker room.  Tonight, a lot of Young Men made a memory that may well last a lifetime. 

[/quote]I say we start a tradition and do that every home game...why not?

[quote name="piratefan" post="700014" timestamp="1257569362"]
[quote author=daddy23 link=topic=61985.msg699979#msg699979 date=1257568904]

[/quote]I say we start a tradition and do that every home game...why not?
[/quote]

we are in we will make sure our football league and yours make this happen

Man, when I read this quote, I just about cried. I graduated from VHS in 08' and I played Varsity and we did not do good that year. We only won one district game that year and even though that was the only one that we won, we were still celebrating like we had the perfect season. I wish that I could be apart of that group of pirates. I only played with Pittman and peavey and Tate and all of those guys for one year and that was when we were a very new team. I am so happy for those guys that I played with and it is awesome to see how much more of a team that they developed into now. I wish hope that they have a great and deep drive into the playoffs and show everybody who the pirates are and that we are for real!!

GO PIRATES!!!

[quote name="vhs" post="700706" timestamp="1257611295"]
Thanks for stepping up big time daddy23. I know running the clock wasn't the ideal way for you to enjoy the game, but you sure helped us out in a huge way.  We really appreciate all you do for the program.
[/quote]

;)

It was a great game and I am very proud of our boys for going out there and giving it their all. My son is a senior this year and It tooke all my power to not cry that they finally made it to the playoffs. I will be there to cheer them on and hopefully to state. Some tell me that I am wishing big but they do not know our boys. If they really want it they will fight for it. I have one thing else to say. IF I DO GO COMPLETELY BLIND I WANT TO THANK THOSE BOYS FOR GIVING ME ONE HELL OF A YEAR.

• 2 years later...
[quote name="daddy23" post="699241" timestamp="1257551372"]
Tonight is a huge game for both Vidor and Livingston players and coaches.  For Vidor, a win means the first playoff birth in almost a decade and only the second (I think) in my lifetime.  (I realize that half the teams now make the playoffs but I do not think that reality undermines my point). 

Before the Opening Kickoff, Before the Coin Toss, Before the band plays the National Anthem, outside the Pirate Locker Room, a couple hundred young men gather.  These young boys, ranging in age from 5 to 14, will come because some Little League (or Jr High) coach told them that the Vidor Pirates need their help.  They need some extra support from these little Pirates.  Maybe all of those little Pirates gathered outside the locker room will give the Varsity Boys the extra fire that they need to come out strong, play hard all night, and obtain the victory.  Maybe those little faces and voices will be just what the Varsity Pirates need.

But I know at least 3 (and I guess many more) of these young men are really counting on the Pirates tonight.  While these boys are still young, each of them know how long it has been since Vidor went to the Playoffs.  Each of them have heard parents, teachers, and friends comment that "These are the games that Vidor loses."  Each of them have been exposed to the tradition of losing that some Pirate Fans have embraced. 

If the Pirates fall short this evening, then life will go on for everyone involved.  (I am not trying to make more out of this than it is--it is just a game.)  Coaches will keep coachings.  Players will continue to be students.  And Fans will return next season to cheer on the Team again. 

However, if we win tonight, then it will be a Spark of Hope (hopefully just one of many) that these Young Pirates outside the Locker Room will always remember.  They will remember the night that the Pirates won the big game--the night when Vidor's team came up big.  And no matter how many games they may lose through the years;  And no matter how many times their team may be outmatched, tonights victory can be one that gives hope and inspires a whole generation of Young Pirates. 

For that reason, I am hoping (and may even utter a little prayer--although I am sure that God doesnt give a dang) that the Pirates come up Big Tonight.  And although I hate to wish for another team's (full of equally deserving young men) season to end, I am headed to the stadium with more hope for a victory than I can ever remember--Hope for the Sake of those Young Men outside the Locker Room
[/quote]

I am shameless bumping an old thread that I started almost 3 years ago. 

But after a historic season for the Pirates last year.  And after 2 solid scrimmages and a shutout opener.  I cannot help but look back on that November night in 2009. 

There is a different confidence that flows from the Pirate Football players and coaches.  Not a immature cockiness, but a confidence that they can play and compete with any team they come up against. 

We are a long ways away from building a winning tradition in Vidor Football.  But I sure like the way it is headed in the last 3 years.  Hats off to Jeff, his staff, and all those young men! 

[quote name="daddy23" post="1262128" timestamp="1346963667"]
[quote author=daddy23 link=topic=61985.msg699241#msg699241 date=1257551372]

For that reason, I am hoping (and may even utter a little prayer--although I am sure that God doesnt give a dang) that the Pirates come up Big Tonight.  And although I hate to wish for another team's (full of equally deserving young men) season to end, I am headed to the stadium with more hope for a victory than I can ever remember--Hope for the Sake of those Young Men outside the Locker Room
[/quote]

But after a historic season for the Pirates last year.  And after 2 solid scrimmages and a shutout opener.  I cannot help but look back on that November night in 2009. 

There is a different confidence that flows from the Pirate Football players and coaches.  Not a immature cockiness, but a confidence that they can play and compete with any team they come up against. 

We are a long ways away from building a winning tradition in Vidor Football.  But I sure like the way it is headed in the last 3 years.  Hats off to Jeff, his staff, and all those young men! 
[/quote][quote author=NDNation link=topic=61985.msg1262133#msg1262133 date=1346964115]
Made me cry...Hope Vidor does well this season! All the smack talk aside...love being in district with Vidor and the atmosphere when we play the Pirates. ;D
[/quote]

This is the first time I read it and truly inspiring 23! Indianforever, I'm also glad we are in 20-4A also with the like of y'all that brings great tradition! I can't help but get excited each and every time our Pirates face the Indians it truly is an awesome atmosphere. ;D

[quote name="SmokinSkull2" post="1262142" timestamp="1346964543"]
[quote author=daddy23 link=topic=61985.msg1262128#msg1262128 date=1346963667]
[quote author=daddy23 link=topic=61985.msg699241#msg699241 date=1257551372]

[/quote]

[/quote][quote author=NDNation link=topic=61985.msg1262133#msg1262133 date=1346964115]
Made me cry...Hope Vidor does well this season! All the smack talk aside...love being in district with Vidor and the atmosphere when we play the Pirates. ;D
[/quote]

This is the first time I read it and truly inspiring 23! Indianforever, I'm also glad we are in 20-4A also with the like of y'all that brings great tradition! I can't help but get excited each and every time our Pirates face the Indians it truly is an awesome atmosphere. ;D
[/quote]

20-4A is the best district in the state with some great rivalries. Time for a state championship to come from our ranks.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder