Craziest Rivalry?

What is your schools wildest rivalry game of the year and why?  Memories/pranks/shenanigans from rivalries past?

At Dayton it would have to be Crosby as of late.  However, I do remember sneaking across the river with some cohorts and lighting up liberty's bonfire the night before their homecoming festivities were scheduled.

What is your schools wildest rivalry game of the year and why?  Memories/pranks/shenanigans from rivalries past?

At Dayton it would have to be Crosby as of late.  However, I do remember sneaking across the river with some cohorts and lighting up liberty's bonfire the night before their homecoming festivities were scheduled.

Nederland and PNG and BC and Orangefeild!

Baytown Lee vs Baytown Sterling

In the 1970s I doubt there was a bigger high school rivalry in this area than "The Game." Both teams dominated district titles during the decade with REL winning in 1970, 76 and 78 and RSS winning loop championships in 1971, 72, 73, 74 and 75 (the Ganders frequently came in second during Sterling's run). Stallworth Stadium was always filled for that one, drawing 22,000-plus in '72 or '73.

Back then the windows of the businesses on one side of Texas Ave. (the main drag through the old downtown) were painted blue for Sterling and maroon for Lee on the other side. Lots of fights broke during the week of the game down at the old Brunson movie theater, the bowling alley and the local hamburger joints between rival students.

What made the rivalry so intense was that both sides knew each other so well. Half the players from three of the (then) four junior highs in the district (Baytown, Horace Mann, Cedar Bayou) seperated into the two high schools which meant that when REL and RSS butted heads you were playing against guys who used to be your buddies. If you played organized sports from an early age in Baytown like I did, you were constantly crossing paths and competing with and against guys from other schools and neighborhoods in the city that would come to a head in the Lee-Sterling game. Familiarity breeds contempt like you would not believe!

Guest Burkeville Chronicle

My vote goes to West Hardin vs. Hull-Daisetta. Sometimes the smaller schools get overlooked in the grand scheme of things, but if any fan wants to see a good SETX rivalry...then these two schools certainly provide a very intense one.

WB vs. Central

This was the talk of the town weeks prior to the game.  There was a big 'hate' for one another.  Noise talking in the mall, Movie theater, or anywhere we seen them (West Brook playere, fans, or students).  There were even times when schools got toilet papered!    :D :D  It was all in good fun. 

Then the big day comes.  over 10K + begins to pack Cardinal stadium, standing room only.  students and fans had to stand over the rails of the Montagne Center.  There was a place behind the end zone called the 'hill' where kids wastched the game.  There was even a dude that parachuted from a plane right on the field.

I tell you, there was no rivalry like it!

First, we have our on Port Neches Groves and Nederland  85 games played. Always a great high school football atmosphere. 47-31-7

Second, The battle of the Ax. Shermen High school and Dennison High school    59-34-6.

Third, The Guadalupe River Bowl  New Braunfels high school and Seguin high school  since 1914  55-36-3

Just a couple I could think of.

Also Midland    Odessa

Beaumont Central    Westbrook

Lamarque  Texas City

Jasper  Silsbee  maybe

Ill stop here

First, we have our on Port Neches Groves and Nederland  85 games played. Always a great high school football atmosphere. 47-31-7

Second, The battle of the Ax. Shermen High school and Dennison High school    59-34-6.

Third, The Guadalupe River Bowl  New Braunfels high school and Seguin high school  since 1914  55-36-3

Also Midland    Odessa

Beaumont Central     Westbrook

Lamarque   Texas City

Jasper   Silsbee   maybe

Ill stop here

I thought that LaMarque's rivalry was with Galveston Ball?

They have one with them too, although I don't think it is as intense as the one with TC.  MCM used to be real intense, burning letters in the field, TP, rocks in windshields, totem poles cut down, etc. It is still intense now but not in the same way. A lot of the silly stuff has stopped.

How about the 3-way rivalry between PNG, Nederland, and TJ?  I remember the 5th down controversy between TJ & Nederland and other bazaar situations such as the extra time out (don't remember which teams involved).    Before that, in the 50's between Baytown Lee and TJ, also Galveston Ball vs. TJ thrown in.  Actually, I remember the Lee/TJ rivalry back in the 40's when I was just a kid living in Pear Ridge before moving to Groves.  Now you know how ancient I am................

They have one with them too, although I don't think it is as intense as the one with TC.  MCM used to be real intense, burning letters in the field, TP, rocks in windshields, totem poles cut down, etc. It is still intense now but not in the same way. A lot of the silly stuff has stopped.

I think alot of the pranks have stopped because the kids now-a-days have played on travel baseball, soccer and even basketball teams together so they are more civilized. Most of them have good friends at the other school.

None was ever bigger than the biggest Odessa Permian-Midland Lee

For those who know Texas football outside of SETX--this is definitely the truth.  I would go out on a limb and say that this was the biggest rivalry in the nation.  The oil industry in this area has been accused of moving personnel into the area to fill positions on both of these teams. 

LOL---it was Labor verses corporate.  ;)

Also Midland    Odessa

Beaumont Central     Westbrook

Lamarque   Texas City

Jasper   Silsbee   maybe

Ill stop here

I thought that LaMarque's rivalry was with Galveston Ball?

You may be right I remember in the 90's they had a good rilvary going. Maybe it is traditionally GB though

Baytown Lee vs Baytown Sterling

In the 1970s I doubt there was a bigger high school rivalry in this area than "The Game." Both teams dominated district titles during the decade with REL winning in 1970, 76 and 78 and RSS winning loop championships in 1971, 72, 73, 74 and 75 (the Ganders frequently came in second during Sterling's run). Stallworth Stadium was always filled for that one, drawing 22,000-plus in '72 or '73.

Back then the windows of the businesses on one side of Texas Ave. (the main drag through the old downtown) were painted blue for Sterling and maroon for Lee on the other side. Lots of fights broke during the week of the game down at the old Brunson movie theater, the bowling alley and the local hamburger joints between rival students.

What made the rivalry so intense was that both sides knew each other so well. Half the players from three of the (then) four junior highs in the district (Baytown, Horace Mann, Cedar Bayou) seperated into the two high schools which meant that when REL and RSS butted heads you were playing against guys who used to be your buddies. If you played organized sports from an early age in Baytown like I did, you were constantly crossing paths and competing with and against guys from other schools and neighborhoods in the city that would come to a head in the Lee-Sterling game. Familiarity breeds contempt like you would not believe!

I went to Sterling...the rivalry is still there is just isnt as intense since Sterling has been horrible for a long time....you saw a little of it come back here recently and hopefully they will keep playing each other enough (if Lee drops to 4a) to bring it back full scale....it is unfortunate they moved the game to the beginning of district instead of the end, last year Sterling/Lee would have been for a playoff spot and that would have brought the game up a little more....but for a game that has so called fallen from glory they still almost fill Stallworth for it every year....

oh and not debating your number but stallworth only sits 16,500 (w/ the old pressbox i think it was 17,000)...even w/o the fire marshall intervening i dont see how they could get over 22,000 in there unless if they were standing around the fence (this may have been the case, i wasn't alive then to know, but currently they wont allow people to do this at all)....

How about the 3-way rivalry between PNG, Nederland, and TJ?  I remember the 5Th down controversy between TJ & Nederland and other bazaar situations such as the extra time out (don't remember which teams involved).    Before that, in the 50's between Baytown Lee and TJ, also Galveston Ball vs. TJ thrown in.  Actually, I remember the Lee/TJ rivalry back in the 40's when I was just a kid living in Pear Ridge before moving to Groves.  Now you know how ancient I am................

That would be the TJ vs PNG game where Wayne Legraph kicked a field goal just before half time for TJ. They called a time out, (5 Th), just before half time and was granted it. TJ won the game by three points. The same referee allowed the 5Th down for TJ in the Nederland game that allowed the 5 Th time out. I don't remember his name. By the way Nederland won the game against TJ anyway. The joke going around was that TJ fans didn't leave the stands after the game because they were waiting for the 5 Th quarter. lol

As far as the Nederland/ PNG rivalry, it is a good one and has been. But in the 70's PNG's rival was TJ by far. I believe in the 80's and so on Nederland became much more competitive and the rivalry got bigger. One particular prank I remember that gets my vote for the best is one that Nederland pulled on us. I believe it was 1986 when Nederland football players entered the field before PNG amd ran through our run through sign. This gets my vote for best, yeah our totem pole got painted black and gold almost every year but the run through had some originality. I give them an A on that one.

As far as the Nederland/ PNG rivalry, it is a good one and has been. But in the 70's PNG's rival was TJ by far. I believe in the 80's and so on Nederland became much more competitive and the rivalry got bigger. One particular prank I remember that gets my vote for the best is one that Nederland pulled on us. I believe it was 1986 when Nederland football players entered the field before PNG amd ran through our run through sign. This gets my vote for best, yeah our totem pole got painted black and gold almost every year but the run through had some originality. I give them an A on that one.

I remember that! That was definitely original. I did not remember exactly what year it was, thanks for bringing it up. Didn't they run thru the PN-G sign and then circle back and run thru the Ned sign as well?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder