Nederland Bond

I'm not griping about needing new schools, I'm commenting on the need to maintain what we've got with the budget that we have.  It's got to come from somewhere, I named the three likely places we will be getting money from to maintain the struggling facilities that we have.  Not sure where your attack is coming from, these are the facts.  The money has to come from somewhere, there is no maintenance money tree out back of the administration building, we'll have to find the money in other places.

Nederland teachers make about $5000 a year more than I do, once again we would kill for another $5000. We are at pretty much state pay. ( The way you keep paying teachers past 20 years would give me an additional $9000 a year.)

Nederland has about 300 teachers, so if they really want to repair the buildings, take the additional $5000 away until they can pass a new bond. 300x5000= $1,500,000. That could fix some schools....

YOu  call yourself a teacher??  I'm glad you don't teach my kids with that assanine statement.

What? Give up pay for the good of the school district?

I understand it is not enough money to fix the district, but it would go along way to help patch until you can pass a bond....

Folks in Nederland, I do not think you understand, until you see what I am teaching in, your district is a Taj Mahal....My flag still has 48 stars....Literally....

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that voters so strongly supported Sanderson who was an obvious YES vote and thinks this is what the school district needs... yet voted so resoundingly against it.  I normally factor someones judgement and decision making into my vote, so am having a hard time understanding this extreme disconnect.  I think the dynamics of Sanderson getting the most votes and the bond being deystroyed are something that I will struggle to understand for awhile.  It is likely the root cause of the bond failure.  I hope everyone who voted thinks about that as well.

Does seem strange, doesn't it?.  I suppose if Weaver ran, he would have been re-elected, too.

But one of the incumbents did lose.  I hope that's enough to focus the collective mind of the Board.

Guest L212

Two things from the election that are very hard to figure out:

1. Everett Sanderson was an incumbent and strong proponent of the bond.  Mr. Sanderson was overwhelmingly re-elected with 2126 votes while only 853 votes were cast in favor of the bond proposal.  Apparently the voters really like him but don't agree with him, at least not on the bond. 

2.  Mr. Sanderson was obviously surprised by the defeat of the bond proposal saying it was a "crushing blow".  So surprised that he doesn't know "how we're going to handle it".  How is someone as popular as Mr. Sanderson so out of touch with his constituents?  I could understand if the bond had been narrowly defeated but this was a landslide.  How did he not see this coming?

Guest Penny

I'm not griping about needing new schools, I'm commenting on the need to maintain what we've got with the budget that we have.  It's got to come from somewhere, I named the three likely places we will be getting money from to maintain the struggling facilities that we have.  Not sure where your attack is coming from, these are the facts.  The money has to come from somewhere, there is no maintenance money tree out back of the administration building, we'll have to find the money in other places.

Nederland teachers make about $5000 a year more than I do, once again we would kill for another $5000. We are at pretty much state pay. ( The way you keep paying teachers past 20 years would give me an additional $9000 a year.)

Nederland has about 300 teachers, so if they really want to repair the buildings, take the additional $5000 away until they can pass a new bond. 300x5000= $1,500,000. That could fix some schools....

YOu  call yourself a teacher??  I'm glad you don't teach my kids with that assanine statement.

I understand it is not enough money to fix the district, but it would go along way to help patch until you can pass a bond....

Folks in Nederland, I do not think you understand, until you see what I am teaching in, your district is a Taj Mahal....My flag still has 48 stars....Literally....

The Taj Mahal is due to the people, not the facilities.  It's time the facilities match the people.

1. Everett Sanderson was an incumbent and strong proponent of the bond.  Mr. Sanderson was overwhelmingly re-elected with 2126 votes while only 853 votes were cast in favor of the bond proposal.  Apparently the voters really like him but don't agree with him, at least not on the bond.   

2.  Mr. Sanderson was obviously surprised by the defeat of the bond proposal saying it was a "crushing blow".  So surprised that he doesn't know "how we're going to handle it".  How is someone as popular as Mr. Sanderson so out of touch with his constituents?  I could understand if the bond had been narrowly defeated but this was a landslide.  How did he not see this coming?

The Board and Bond Committee must have been working in an echo chamber.  I can't think of another rationale, but I'd be interested in other POV's.

I must admit, I wasn't really impressed by CARE.  The way this thing went before the voters made their job easy.

Penny, I don't think him getting re-elected was a surprise.  It was a little home cooking, with breakfast in bed, so to speak.  You know, home-town boy and good ol' boy network.  It did disappoint me, though, but didn't surprise me. 

But, look on the other side:  Two anti-bond candidates emerged victorious.  So I think there is some hope.  One just has to understand Nederland and it's networks.  IMHO.

Interesting that voters so strongly supported Sanderson who was an obvious YES vote and thinks this is what the school district needs... yet voted so resoundingly against it.  I normally factor someones judgement and decision making into my vote, so am having a hard time understanding this extreme disconnect.  I think the dynamics of Sanderson getting the most votes and the bond being deystroyed are something that I will struggle to understand for awhile.  It is likely the root cause of the bond failure.  I hope everyone who voted thinks about that as well.

Not now.  In a recession, one doesn't ask to screw the taxpayer more.  Obviously, the NISD hasn't caught on yet.

No we should not!   Do you know the definition of insanity?

I think they need to restructure the bond and maybe it will pass next time.  During a major recession is probably not the right time to ask people for such a large tax increase.  I think we really needed the new schools but the people have spoken...

we should start monday on new plan that will pass.

In previous posts you have said you could support a small, less expensive bond. Why not start immediately on a new streamlined plan?

Just wondering.

Good point!  Check my other post on why I think he was re-elected.

Penny, I don't think him getting re-elected was a surprise.  It was a little home cooking, with breakfast in bed, so to speak.  You know, home-town boy and good ol' boy network.  It did disappoint me.  But didn't surprise me. 

But, look on the other side:  Two anti-bond candidates emerged victorious.  So I think there is some hope.  One just has to understand Nederland and it's networks.  IMHO.

The way I see it, there are now two anti-bond board members who will soon be saying we NEED a bond. Give it time. Once they see we have no other choice, they will restructure and propose another bond.

So, 3200 voters were uninformed and 800 were informed.  Friend, you lost because we WERE informed.  You were on the bond committee?  Get on it again next time and we'll win again.  Hopefully they've learned their lesson, though.  This was not a mere defeat, this was a STUNNING defeat.   And this is all you can say?!   ;D   ;D

Won't happen, to many uniformed voters that just know they don't want anything! I don't care what you try to get through they are not going to vote for it!

I hate to say it but smitty you are acting like a  pompous, arrogant, (you know the rest). You seem selfish and you don't have the future of our children at heart. You are just a hater.    I agree with the posters that the way the bond was proposed to the public in a wrong manner.  Nederland schools have needs. You should listen to the people that spend there time everyday working in those schools. It seems most of them were for the bond. If you care about our city you should show concern for our children and schools.  

From the Nederland Bond Poll forum:

Siphoning off millions of tax dollars during a recession, coupled with a bad bond proposal, is not anti-improvement.  I believe 3,200 other people will attest to that also.  So your idea of talking "up" the school district is throwing more money at it?  With all due respect, friend, this type of thinking is what got it defeated.  How about this novel approach:  Be a good steward with the tax dollars you have and as efficient as possible.  Remember: I questioned the maintenance dept. for letting the school get in such bad shape.  One maintenance individual wrote back and said it was the "administrations" fault.  I don't care who's at fault, just fix the problem. 

Quote from: fbplayer999 on Today at 08:20:55 AM

Quote from: smitty on Today at 05:39:26 AM

How about:  79%  --  21%  Sweet!

what will you do now smitty that the bond is over?  Next i guess you will finding other ways to talk down about the School district and the people that are in favor of improving their town.

Not now.  In a recession, one doesn't ask to screw the taxpayer more.  Obviously, the NISD hasn't caught on yet.

I think they need to restructure the bond and maybe it will pass next time.  During a major recession is probably not the right time to ask people for such a large tax increase.  I think we really needed the new schools but the people have spoken...

In previous posts you have said you could support a small, less expensive bond. Why not start immediately on a new streamlined plan?

Just wondering.

So when you previously said "you could support a smaller bond"; was that a disingenious statement? How could a smaller bond with a minimal tax increase to meet minimal facility needs "screw the taxpayer"?

This is not an original idea that I've come up with; you recommended it many post back.

3,200 (79%!) other people also disagree with you, my friend.  Maybe it's you that needs to listen!  

So, 3200 voters were uninformed and 800 were informed.  Friend, you lost because we WERE informed.  You were on the bond committee?  Get on it again next time and we'll win again.  Hopefully they've learned their lesson, though.  This was not a mere defeat, this was a STUNNING defeat.   And this is all you can say?!   ;D   ;D

Won't happen, to many uniformed voters that just know they don't want anything! I don't care what you try to get through they are not going to vote for it!

I hate to say it but smitty you are acting like a  pompous, arrogant, (you know the rest). You seem selfish and you don't have the future of our children at heart. You are just a hater.    I agree with the posters that the way the bond was proposed to the public in a wrong manner.  Nederland schools have needs. You should listen to the people that spend there time everyday working in those schools. It seems most of them were for the bond. If you care about our city you should show concern for our children and schools.  

The Taj Mahal is due to the people, not the facilities.  It's time the facilities match the people.

Not really, I am thrilled I don't have to teach Nederland kids, or put up with their parents. I was offered a position in NISD about 20 years ago and I am SO glad I didn't take it. I love my kids, I think I have the best in the area.

Smitty,

I would love it if you could come up with a proposal to build new schools without a bond.  You would have to be a miracle worker to make that happen.   Maybe I am ignorant but how is the school district wasting money?  How are they bad stewards of taxdollars?

Or, James, maybe they can do a better job with the money they already have.  Example:  Giving the head coach a $20,000 raise when, according to the pro-bonders, obviously we didn't have the money is not what I personally call a "being a good steward with our tax money" philosophy.  I'm all for people making as much as they can.  But, when some whine about not knowing what the school is going to do if this fails, well, then, events like I mentioned needs to be looked into.

Remember, Sanderson said we needed to pass this to pay for the budget.  Sanity or insanity?!  

Penny, I don't think him getting re-elected was a surprise.  It was a little home cooking, with breakfast in bed, so to speak.  You know, home-town boy and good ol' boy network.  It did disappoint me.  But didn't surprise me. 

The way I see it, there are now two anti-bond board members who will soon be saying we NEED a bond. Give it time. Once they see we have no other choice, they will restructure and propose another bond.

Smitty,

I would love it if you could come up with a proposal to build new schools without a bond.  You would have to be a miracle worker to make that happen.   Maybe I am ignorant but how is the school district wasting money?  How are they bad stewards of taxdollars?

When will all of you understand, smitty and all the CARE people have no answers. Give the newly elected board time to meet a few times and see what happens. Their leader will soon see the truth first hand. Give it time. It wasn't 20,000 smitty, but then again, I didn't expect you to give an actual true number. ;D

Listen, friend, you don't need to build new schools.  3,200 people just told you that.  You pro-bond people need to restructure your thinking if you are going to convince people anymore tax dollars is needed.  But, more advice, you also have to convince these same people that the district is not wasting their money.  IMO.

How are they wasting?  Remember I questioned why the maintenance dept. wasn't taking care of the repairs if all these buildings were in bad shape.  Remember the post by what appeared to be a maintenance worker from the district who said it's the "administrations" fault that these repairs are not being made.  You tell ME what that means.

Smitty,

Didn't it go from 70 something to 90 something?  It's in the ball park.  What was the actual increase then?

PS - Maybe our bond figures were a little more accurate they some would say.

Smitty,

When will all of you understand, smitty and all the CARE people have no answers. Give the newly elected board time to meet a few times and see what happens. Their leader will soon see the truth first hand. Give it time. It wasn't 20,000 smitty, but then again, I didn't expect you to give an actual true number. ;D

Not really, I am thrilled I don't have to teach Nederland kids, or put up with their parents. I was offered a position in NISD about 20 years ago and I am SO glad I didn't take it. I love my kids, I think I have the best in the area.

why are you on here then? great you have not good points at all.

You're right Smitty, we need to start targetting which teachers we're going to let go, which programs we're going to drop, and how many more portable buildings we're going to need.  Then we can maintain these facilities properly. 

Has nothing to do with teachers, or portable buildings, or programs......As I have said in the past, I teach in a school district that really needs some new buildings, computers newer than 10 years old, a decent library, a new cafeteria, our teachers would kill for the salaries NISD teachers get, heck in the winter, my heater may or may not work.....Guess what, our TAKS scores are going to be very close to yours, all my kids are going to say "Yes Sir " and Yes Ma'am." My college bound kids are going to do just as well as yours, they are going to Baylor, and A&M, and Texas and Rice. And are doing well. Quit griping about you need new schools in a recession.

You made an interesting recommendation to Nederland to reduce salaries to pay for facility improvements. Good Idea? Maybe you can recommend the same thing to your district to address the facility needs you listed at your school. While your at it you can get some new flags. ;D

Didn't it go from 70 something to 90 something?  It's in the ball park.  What was the actual increase then?

PS - Maybe our bond figures were a little more accurate they some would say.

Smitty,

Look smitty, I'm done with this topic, CARE has no answers to our school districts problems. The newly elected spokesperson for CARE will soon find out this and will bring you all over to see it our way. Our schools budget can not maintain the level of building integrity our kids deserve. The bond would have given our district the maintenance relief it needed, that is what was meant by Mr. Sandersons quote, “The bond was a crushing blow,†Sanderson said. “It puts us in a bind for the budget and I don’t know how we’re going to handle it.â€

If you can't see that now you never will, so that is why I'm done arguing this with you and the rest of your group.

Just wondering.

So when you previously said "you could support a smaller bond"; was that a disingenious statement? How could a smaller bond with a minimal tax increase to meet minimal facility needs "screw the taxpayer"?

This is not an original idea that I've come up with; you recommended it many post back.

No reply Smitty?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder