Nederland Bond

It seems like there has been some talk about the Nederland School Bond on here on another thread, so I figured I would start a new one devoted just to the bond.

I serve on the citizens bond committee and the main thing I want to achieve is to be certain that people make their decision based on facts and not assumptions.  The bond truly is an investment in our community. Anyone who thinks that the quality of schools is not directly related to the long term economy of the community is mistaken.  If we continue to let our schools age and deteriorate, our community will do the same.  At that point, property values will drop.  I heard mention of a figure of an annual tax increase of $490.00 per $100K.  This number is the absolute worst case scenario and is largely dependent on when the school board actually chooses to sell the bonds. The $490 per $100K figure assumes all bonds are sold at the same time and this is a highly unlikely scenario.  Also keep in mind that the proposed tax rate is still actually lower than the tax rate we paid in 2005 as our school tax rate has actually decreased over the past couple of years.

Also, it needs to be known that NISD spends a great deal of time and money maintaining the existing buildings.  This is your tax money at work.  Would you rather see it spent to maintain old buildings or provide newer, more efficient buildings?  The average age of school buildings in NISD is 50 years old and many schools are at or very near capacity and this includes a fairly heavy reliance on portable buildings.  To meet space needs, we can add on to buildings that are nearing the end of their life or for slightly more money, we can have new schools.  The committees opinion was that new schools was a much wiser use of funds than contuing to pump money into old, outdated buildings.

For all of the facts about the bond, go to nederlandbond.com.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James, that is the case, but for comparative purposes, PNG's was, let's say, quite a bit more than that.  Currently, the press box has actual holes in the floor and it is pretty much a shambles and far too small.  The proposal does not call for anything elaborate, for certain, but any construction done on the press box causes us to bring the entire press box up to code.  This is where a majority of the cost comes from.  If you have not been in it recently, I encourage you to pay it a visit.

Both the press box and the visiting coaches box (on visitor's bleachers) are in bad shape. The bond would put one press box on the home side, for all press, both school's coaches, those running scoreboard, etc. Like it is at most other high schools.

Rumors are flying I know, but from what I understand from NISD, the press box will NOT be like PN-G's, it will remain a one-level facility.

However, with ADA codes needing to be enforced, part of that $1.8 million will be to put in a working elevator. No district can get around ADA codes in this day in time without facing fines.

(The only exception for press boxes I can see in this area would be Silsbee. But not everyone has the luxury of being at the top of a hill where a ramp will suffice for ADA code.)

A large part of the cost of the press box is to bring it up to code, which is required if any work is to be done at all.  What we are talking about here is very modest and at the end ofthe day, represents 1.4% of the total proposal.  The scope of work is outlined below, directly from the plan:

"Coaches rooms (home and visitor), press/media room (4-total), scout room, public address, scorekeepers/clock.  Cost based on the use of a modular structure with standard width of 12' 0" in standard length increments and single level design.  Includes elevator, restrooms as required by code."

I do agree with you that the schools must come first and they are. The interior of the high school will be completely redone with this bond plus we will have all new elementary schools as well as a new CO Wilson Middle School.  One of the misconceptions about the bond is that it is all about athletics when in fact, stadium renovations account for less than 3% of the total package.  The rest is devoted to new and improved schools.

Also keep in mind that the proposed tax rate is still actually lower than the tax rate we paid in 2005 as our school tax rate has actually decreased over the past couple of years.

This sounds like the same message we heard in Beaumont.  Are folks really paying less in taxes now, or did they just jack up the property values to offset the lower rate?

More than likely, it will be done near the beginning of the project, much like PN-G's is now usable when their schools are not yet finished. Many people say that is because of athletics taking priority, but the real reason for that is because work on a field and press box are much easier work than building an entire new school and the construction will go quicker as well.

Look at a field being put down and a school being renovated/constructed. I can tell you real quick what the easier job is, and I don't even work in construction.

The thought on the stadiums is pretty much a "get the easy stuff out of the way first" mentality. Then you are one project down within a few months of construction beginning.

That is my two cents on that anyway.

I wouldn't let the cost of the press box be my determining factor in the vote.

From what it sounds like, the athletic facilities are a small percentage of the total package.

Just curious...

I know when Dayton built their stadium, the home side was built to a level that did not require an elevator, which really adds a lot to the cost (putting restrooms that high would also be a large cost item).

What are the building codes that require an elevator to the press box?

I guess if you have a larger press box, it might not have to be as high.

GOOD LUCK BULLDOGS WITH THE BOND!

The kids and future students are counting on you to update some very old buidlings that have outdated utility systems.

I know when Dayton built their stadium, the home side was built to a level that did not require an elevator, which really adds a lot to the cost (putting restrooms that high would also be a large cost item).

Are you kidding me?

How is that pressbox on Dayton's home side not requiring an elevator? That thing is in the clouds. In 2007 when we were there I watched a guy start the treck to the box in the first quarter and at halftime he was still 10 rows from it, and needed oxygen! ;D

From what it sounds like, the athletic facilities are a small percentage of the total package.

Just curious...

The kids and future students are counting on you to update some very old buidlings that have outdated utility systems.

I do not remember the square footage but we stayed under the number required to install an elevator--and you are correct the elevator requirement is tied to the square footage of the press box and the elevator is very expensive--if I remember correctly about 600,000 dollars

Still don't believe we need a press box, build the schools. You WANT a press box, that is different, we NEED schools fixed. BIG difference. I will vote for what we NEED not what we WANT. Let's leave it at that.

Give me your opinion or best guess on when the new high school and stadium would be built. Best guess - ---

To answer your question, James, the high school is being completely redone on the inside in this bond issue and this should get the school through another 20 years.  The hope and plan is that a new stadium could be constructed as part of a smaller, phase two bond in 8 to 10 years after all of the schools needs are addressed.

My question was when do you think our new High School and new Stadium would be built, not talking about when the press box would be built, when will we sit and watch a football game in a new stadium and when will a brand new high school be completed?

Ah, I see. I misunderstood your question when I read it.

Bad timing for a 126 million dollar bond election.  During an economic down turn, the last thing people usually want is more taxes to pay.  A couple of bond proposals have recently been voted down in the area.  But we shall see.

Just curious...

I do not remember the square footage but we stayed under the number required to install an elevator--and you are correct the elevator requirement is tied to the square footage of the press box and the elevator is very expensive--if I remember correctly about 600,000 dollars

If I were Nederland ISD Id take my chances of upgrading the restroom & concession stands at Bulldog Stadium before installing FieldTurf or a new press box. The grass at Bulldog Stadium is always beautiful and Im with James when it comes to spending 1.8 on a pressbox.

I much prefer real grass over Field Turf. 

Have to disagree with you on this one James, in typical Nederland fashion it will take someone to get injured before the Pressbox is rebuilt. It is in very bad shape. If it gets rebuilt it will need a elevator. If the restrooms get rebuilt they will need to be A.D.A. approved. There supposed to be separate quarters for the referees to be able to change and shower. How about a actual locker room for the players. I for one could care less for the Field Turf, i think it only adds to injuries, ACL, MCL, etc. Now on the "only 5 home games a year" subject that is a Varsity Football Statement.You know that Central , C.O. Wilson, Freshmen, J.V., Soccer, Track, Westerners, Band all use that same Pressbox. I really have a problem with that one sided comment and i am sick of hearing We only have 5 Home Games. Are you really going to stick with that. Its called a community and we all use it. You for one should know better. As all Bonds go there are going to be some needed items and some gravy items. My guess is this Bond will be voted down then they will regroup cut the fat and it will pass, just like the last one did. Talk around town is everything hinges on the Field Turf, i believe if they would take this off the Bond it would pass with flying colors.

The bottom line is will taxpayers accept an 126 million dollar bond issue in an economic down-turn.  Think about it this way:  People are losing their jobs and those that have a job are having to tighten their belts and cut spending.  While everyone is tightening up their spending, now along comes a taxpayer funded entity that wants to increase spending to the tune of 126 million dollars.  And a lot of it will not educate one child.  IMO.  Anyone agree/disagree with what's said here? 

I say screw the field turf. We need to use the natural grass as our home field advantage.

Chill. Ok lets say we spend $200,000 on the pressbox. Bond pass? I don't think so. The gravy i am referring to is the Field Turf, nice but not needed and i think this will be the road block on the Bond. As far as 2 people up there at Soccer games maybe they could just put a tent up on the stands and they could run it from there. ;D

I see you stated you are voting for the bond issue.  Did you read my last post?  Any comment on that post?

Chill. Ok lets say we spend $200,000 on the pressbox. Bond pass? I don't think so. The gravy i am referring to is the Field Turf, nice but not needed and i think this will be the road block on the Bond. As far as 2 people up there at Soccer games maybe they could just put a tent up on the stands and they could run it from there. ;D

Regarding the turf,does anyone remember the significant concern everyone had at the beginning of last season regarding the condition of the field before the home opener against WOS?  There were questions whether the game would have to be moved or postponed due to the condition of the field.  We have also had comments from some of the soccer coaches that the field can get in pretty bad shape during soccer season as well, thus the reason for he turf.  NISD staff estimates that the maintenance savings on a turf field comes to about $60,000.00 per year.

Again, field turf and press box combined account for less than 3% of the bond proposal, but seem to account for 90% of the conversation.  Also, the comment stating that this bond does nothing to educate children is off base.  The remaining 97% of this proposal goes to either totally new or renovated schools.  Disagree with the minor stadium upgrades if you will; you are entitled to your opinion, but to throw the entire bond out over that doesn't make good sense.

These are all great questions and concerns and that is the purpose of the discussion, to be certain that people know the facts about the issues.  Everything that has been mentioned here was considered, studied, and debated by the citizens committee at length.

Regarding the economy, this too was considered.  Passing the bond proposal does not mean that taxes go up immediately and/or all at once.  Passing the bond, simply gives the NISD Board the authority to sell bonds at a time they deem appopriate.  No doubt, the eceonomy is not good right now, but at some point, it will improve and things will look better.  The numbers you keep hearing regarding tax increases are worst case scenarios and assume that all bonds are issued at once.  It is highly unlikely that this will be the case and your trustees have stated as much.  Bottom line, the needs of our schools have not changed for the better and they will not if we do nothing.  Something will have to be done about the schools in NISD at some point.  The cost for this will not go down in the future.  It is a pay me now or pay me later proposition. Besides, a bond proposal with school construction will actually put a few people to work as well.

The bottom line is will taxpayers accept an 126 million dollar bond issue in an economic down-turn.  Think about it this way:  People are losing their jobs and those that have a job are having to tighten their belts and cut spending.  While everyone is tightening up their spending, now along comes a taxpayer funded entity that wants to increase spending to the tune of 126 million dollars.  And a lot of it will not educate one child.  IMO.  Anyone agree/disagree with what's said here?

I thought this was a supposed to be a GREAT time to spend taxpayers money.  At least according to our President.  ::)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Raza012
    Newest Member
    Raza012