Nederland Bond

The bond issue is such a large figure (126 million) that when you say, "it's only 3%," well, it does sound small.  That is until you actually state the figure 1.8 million.  Now "that" figure is astounding and will not educate one child.  Now to the other part:  Tearing down two schools and rebuilding them.  How will this educate one child?  Couldn't they learn just as well with a smaller amount of money and repair what they have?  I would think so.  My friend, 126 million dollars is an awful lot of money.  That high dollar stadium over at PN-G, did it make them play any better?  So, the point is priorities.  Get them straight, and a smaller bond issue, and I think you may have something there.  But, as is, I'm afraid it's doomed.  IMHO. 

Regarding the turf,does anyone remember the significant concern everyone had at the beginning of last season regarding the condition of the field before the home opener against WOS?  There were questions whether the game would have to be moved or postponed due to the condition of the field.  We have also had comments from some of the soccer coaches that the field can get in pretty bad shape during soccer season as well, thus the reason for he turf.  NISD staff estimates that the maintenance savings on a turf field comes to about $60,000.00 per year.

Again, field turf and press box combined account for less than 3% of the bond proposal, but seem to account for 90% of the conversation.  Also, the comment stating that this bond does nothing to educate children is off base.  The remaining 97% of this proposal goes to either totally new or renovated schools.  Disagree with the minor stadium upgrades if you will; you are entitled to your opinion, but to throw the entire bond out over that doesn't make good sense.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First let me say, I am voting for the bond.  It will not benefit my kids at all but buildings only last so long before they nickel and dime you to death and that is where we are now.  If we don't pay now, I do believe we will pay more later.  I originally was against it because of the updates to the football stadium.  I had an extensive conversation with a member of the bond committee that I have absolute trust in.  The turf in the long run should pay for itself in approximately 6 years with less upkeep costs.  It will also benefit many sports and other activities especially those outside activities that rain effects.  On rainy days baseball could possibly do fielding drills, throw, etc..... soccer of course will gain an advantage over most of their opponents(except PNG)..... obviously track ....... graduation....... relay for life.... etc.  If I thought it would benefit only football, I would have a big problem with it.  The press box has to be fixed to comply with ADA.  Should it take as much as is stated....I don't know. 

I am voting for the bond however those who want to minimize the cost of the football stadium updates by saying it is only 3% are doing their cause an injustice by treating the people reading this as too stupid to look at the actual cost of 1.8 million.  If it is only 3% and it will costs you getting this bond passed then cut it!  Better to get the other 97% than none at all.

OK, I appreciate your comments.  But, have you talked to someone that you absolutely trust that is against the bond issue?  You know, just to get both sides of the story.  Because, let's face it, what do you think someone from the bond committee was going to say?  See my point?      ****126 MILLION DOLLARS****    :(  :(  :(  :(

First let me say, I am voting for the bond.  It will not benefit my kids at all but buildings only last so long before they nickel and dime you to death and that is where we are now.  If we don't pay now, I do believe we will pay more later.  I originally was against it because of the updates to the football stadium.  I had an extensive conversation with a member of the bond committee that I have absolute trust in.  The turf in the long run should pay for itself in approximately 6 years with less upkeep costs.  It will also benefit many sports and other activities especially those outside activities that rain effects.  On rainy days baseball could possibly do fielding drills, throw, etc..... soccer of course will gain an advantage over most of their opponents(except PNG)..... obviously track ....... graduation....... relay for life.... etc.  If I thought it would benefit only football, I would have a big problem with it.  The press box has to be fixed to comply with ADA.  Should it take as much as is stated....I don't know. 

I am voting for the bond however those who want to minimize the cost of the football stadium updates by saying it is only 3% or doing their cause an injustice by treating the people reading this as too stupid to look at the actual cost of 1.8 million.  If it is only 3% and it will costs you getting this bond passed then cut it!  Better to get the other 97% than none at all.

OK, I appreciate your comments.  But, have you talked to someone that you absolutely trust that is against the bond issue?  You know, just to get both sides of the story.  Because, let's face it, what do you think someone from the bond committee was going to say?  See my point?      ****126 MILLION DOLLARS****    :(  :(  :(  :(

I am voting for the bond however those who want to minimize the cost of the football stadium updates by saying it is only 3% or doing their cause an injustice by treating the people reading this as too stupid to look at the actual cost of 1.8 million.  If it is only 3% and it will costs you getting this bond passed then cut it!  Better to get the other 97% than none at all.

I am the one who was dead set against this in the beginning that I trust.  Therefore, I contacted someone to get facts in favor and then I make my own decision.  You will be hard pressed to find a more honest and straightforward person than the trusted friend that I mentioned above.  Voice your opposition and reasons but don't insinuate that people on either side of the issue cannot give objective opinions or facts.  Most in the opposition including myself have only based their arguments on opinions and would be against it no matter what was being proposed.     

These are all great questions and concerns and that is the purpose of the discussion, to be certain that people know the facts about the issues.  Everything that has been mentioned here was considered, studied, and debated by the citizens committee at length.

Regarding the economy, this too was considered.  Passing the bond proposal does not mean that taxes go up immediately and/or all at once.  Passing the bond, simply gives the NISD Board the authority to sell bonds at a time they deem appopriate.  No doubt, the eceonomy is not good right now, but at some point, it will improve and things will look better.  The numbers you keep hearing regarding tax increases are worst case scenarios and assume that all bonds are issued at once.  It is highly unlikely that this will be the case and your trustees have stated as much.  Bottom line, the needs of our schools have not changed for the better and they will not if we do nothing.  Something will have to be done about the schools in NISD at some point.  The cost for this will not go down in the future.  It is a pay me now or pay me later proposition. Besides, a bond proposal with school construction will actually put a few people to work as well.

First I would like to commend you on your effort to improve your district and your commitment to serve on the bond committee. There is a lot more time and effort involved than most people think. I also think you have done a very good job of presenting the facts and representing your position.

I equally appreciate those who differ because their opinions/votes also matter as long as they are informed opinions.

Now, if it appears the stadium and turf improvements could cause the bond to fail, the committee may want to concider separating those items and having two bond proposals to vote for. WOC had to split their bond request because of opposition to turf. In the end their bond passed by a slim margin and the turf bond failed. If they had not separated it the bond would probably have failed.

Good luck on a successful bond campain because the students deserve it.

This is the hidden content, please
Just putting this on here for all to see, surely you all have read the multi page outline of the complete bond breakdown. This is just a summary. By the way i am voting yes. James has a problem with the  1.7 million Pressbox, i have a problem with the 1.3 million injury prone Field Turf. Whether you vote yes or no please look at the big picture, not just one item. James may be right that the right people will show up to vote and pass this thing, but look out if the old school population shows up in full force.

Doggies, where's the data on the injuries with the new field turf?

i knew that was coming. Sorry but i have all ready done my research. Its kind of like going to 2 doctors for a second opinion, who are you going to believe? I am going with the 3rd independent doctor. Google it and you will get field turf better than grass, then you will get grass better than field turf. Head injuries on grass, muscle strains on field turf. Muddy conditions on grass, extreme temperatures on field turf. Grass is self rinsing, field turf has to be sanitized. On and on and on. I hope you come up with your own answer to this i have mine.

I was talking to a few local contractors this week. The Nederland Bond issue came up and they knew I was from Nederland, they offered this advice.

Use local architechs who pay local Nederland taxes. Their reason the consultants get a % of total bond cost.

Since I'm not on bond committee I'm sure this has been already been addressed.

Good job!  Looks like you done your homework. 

Doggies, where's the data on the injuries with the new field turf?

i knew that was coming. Sorry but i have all ready done my research. Its kind of like going to 2 doctors for a second opinion, who are you going to believe? I am going with the 3rd independent doctor. Google it and you will get field turf better than grass, then you will get grass better than field turf. Head injuries on grass, muscle strains on field turf. Muddy conditions on grass, extreme temperatures on field turf. Grass is self rinsing, field turf has to be sanitized. On and on and on. I hope you come up with your own answer to this i have mine.

Guest Brubaker

Hitchcock High School opts for High Performance FieldTurf surface to replace its grass field

The Hitchcock Independent School Board has decided that local football games will be played on a brand new FieldTurf synthetic turf field at the start of the 2009 season. The Hitchcock Bulldogs will benefit tremendously from the turf’s renowned playability and safety characteristics. These improvements will be particularly significant for the town’s 2A football team after having competed on a diminished natural grass field for a number of years.

“Many schools in Galveston County currently have FieldTurf football fields,†expressed Gary Carney, athletic director at Hitchcock for the past 15 years. “Every time we played on these fields, we were very impressed with how well-conditioned the turf was, and how well it played even after heavy downpours of rain. It’s now our turn to have a field that we can be proud of.â€

“This is a fantastic project both for FieldTurf Tarkett and for the Hitchcock Independent School Board,†stated Dan Jameson, Regional Vice-President of FieldTurf Tarkett. “Our company is proud to work with institutions of all sizes in the great state of Texas. Whether it’s with the Texas Longhorns or the Hitchcock Bulldogs, our turf provides all athletes with the safest and highest performing surface to play on.â€

The FieldTurf system dramatically reduces downtime with superior drainage characteristics and very little maintenance required. Teams can spend more time on the playing field: “We will be able to get more practices and playing time in all types of weather conditions, something we could not do as effectively with our previous grass field. We have seen how FieldTurf remains in great playing condition after numerous years of use, which is exactly what we needed for our players, staff, and community.â€

The artificial turf industry’s only true independent long-term safety study was completed in 2004 in Texas at the high school level. The study compared FieldTurf to natural grass over a 5 year period of competitive high school football play. The findings show that there were significantly less severe injuries on FieldTurf. The report was peer reviewed and published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine in October of 2004.

The new field is set to be completed for spring 2009, allowing Coach Carney and his team to practice right through to the home opener in late August. “Construction is underway and everyone is very excited. It’s truly beautiful to watch it all come together. We believe that this field will benefit the whole community of Hitchcock,†explained Coach Carney.

Guest Brubaker

Higher incidences of 0-day time loss injuries, noncontact injuries, surface/epidermal injuries, muscle-related trauma, and injuries during higher temperatures were reported on FieldTurf. Higher incidences of 1- to 2-day time loss injuries, 22+ days time loss injuries, head and neural trauma, and ligament injuries were reported on natural grass.

I pulled this from the study results.

This is good also.  More info the better.

But from what I'm hearing, the total hefty price tag will probably be the telling factor.  People usually vote with their pocket books.  We shall see.

Hitchcock High School opts for High Performance FieldTurf surface to replace its grass field

The Hitchcock Independent School Board has decided that local football games will be played on a brand new FieldTurf synthetic turf field at the start of the 2009 season. The Hitchcock Bulldogs will benefit tremendously from the turf’s renowned playability and safety characteristics. These improvements will be particularly significant for the town’s 2A football team after having competed on a diminished natural grass field for a number of years.

“Many schools in Galveston County currently have FieldTurf football fields,†expressed Gary Carney, athletic director at Hitchcock for the past 15 years. “Every time we played on these fields, we were very impressed with how well-conditioned the turf was, and how well it played even after heavy downpours of rain. It’s now our turn to have a field that we can be proud of.â€

“This is a fantastic project both for FieldTurf Tarkett and for the Hitchcock Independent School Board,†stated Dan Jameson, Regional Vice-President of FieldTurf Tarkett. “Our company is proud to work with institutions of all sizes in the great state of Texas. Whether it’s with the Texas Longhorns or the Hitchcock Bulldogs, our turf provides all athletes with the safest and highest performing surface to play on.â€

The FieldTurf system dramatically reduces downtime with superior drainage characteristics and very little maintenance required. Teams can spend more time on the playing field: “We will be able to get more practices and playing time in all types of weather conditions, something we could not do as effectively with our previous grass field. We have seen how FieldTurf remains in great playing condition after numerous years of use, which is exactly what we needed for our players, staff, and community.â€

The artificial turf industry’s only true independent long-term safety study was completed in 2004 in Texas at the high school level. The study compared FieldTurf to natural grass over a 5 year period of competitive high school football play. The findings show that there were significantly less severe injuries on FieldTurf. The report was peer reviewed and published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine in October of 2004.

The new field is set to be completed for spring 2009, allowing Coach Carney and his team to practice right through to the home opener in late August. “Construction is underway and everyone is very excited. It’s truly beautiful to watch it all come together. We believe that this field will benefit the whole community of Hitchcock,†explained Coach Carney.

To all the people in Nederland ISD who developed this bond.

GOOD LUCK!

The school buildings in Nederland are extremely old.

The cost to update and or tear down and rebuild these buildings will be EXTREMELY expensive, but the longer you wait the more expensive it will be.

As far as the athletic complex.

The football stadium is also very old (except for the scoreboard) and does need some renovation.

Those complaining about the prices (IMO) are just finding reasons to oppose any type of tax increase.

The pressbox is expensive, but the restroom and elevator (which are mandated by law) are probably close to if not more than half the cost.

GOOD LUCK ON THE BOND.

Remember the best investment a community can make is in it's future.

The school district and the students they serve represents the future of the community!

From a PN-G graduate...

GOOD LUCK BULLDOGS ON THE BOND!!!

JUST DO IT FOR THE KIDS!!!!

I see!  You want to spread your PN-G tax burden misery to the Ned folks.  You want the Ned folks to "feel your pain," in other words.  All I can say is, let the buyer beware!   ;D  ;D  ;D

GOOD LUCK!

The cost to update and or tear down and rebuild these buildings will be EXTREMELY expensive, but the longer you wait the more expensive it will be.

The football stadium is also very old (except for the scoreboard) and does need some renovation.

Those complaining about the prices (IMO) are just finding reasons to oppose any type of tax increase.

The pressbox is expensive, but the restroom and elevator (which are mandated by law) are probably close to if not more than half the cost.

GOOD LUCK ON THE BOND.

The school district and the students they serve represents the future of the community!

From a PN-G graduate...

I see!  You want to spread your PN-G tax burden misery to the Ned folks.  You want the Ned folks to "feel your pain," in other words.  All I can say is, let the buyer beware!   ;D  ;D  ;D

GOOD LUCK!

GOOD LUCK ON THE BOND.

From a PN-G graduate...

he's a PNG grad living in dayton.... He's all about the kids. He'd vote for it and pay for it if Dayton tried to pass it!!  ;D

Guest b-a-g fan

Nederland school buildings are sad  >:(  Would like to see money be spread to fix up the girls softball field ,real concessions, dugouts moved down so people can see the game and more fans could find seats . You have to spend money to make money . Help the future  :o

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Raza012
    Newest Member
    Raza012