Why is PA Memorial getting no love on here?

Strake Jesuit would beat PAM by a BUNCH...They could NEVER beat Kingwood either...Not to mention FB Bush, or even Hightower (coached by former PAM coach David Green)...They have done well in a weak district, but state is not in the cards for them this year... ;)

This is very true. PAM will lose to Hightower in the third round. Thanks for making this post Dicky. I was about to do it.

If anyone knows David Green it's us. Slow it down get it to the big man in the post, we get up and down the floor for that. Other teams can't keep up, we're running everyone out the gym. Just when you think your close you look @ the clock and your down by 15.

Back in the day PA Lincoln basketball was the talk of the region, of the state.  Schools in Houston, Dallas, where ever whatever they all feared and respected lincoln basketball.  Then Lincoln closes and the PA basketball mystique vanishes.  Like over night.

What happened?  The only folks making noise outta PA these days are rappers.  (far as I know).I know they still shooting hoops in the playgrounds.  I don't understand the fall off.

~Kountzer~

Back in the day PA Lincoln basketball was the talk of the region, of the state.   Schools in Houston, Dallas, where ever whatever they all feared and respected lincoln basketball.   Then Lincoln closes and the PA basketball mystique vanishes.  Like over night.

What happened?   The only folks making noise outta PA these days are rappers.  (far as I know).I know they still shooting hoops in the playgrounds.   I don't understand the fall off.

~Kountzer~

There's no Kingwood in 4A.  5A is the real deal in all sports.  Plus Green wasn't ready to coach them up.  The UIL gave PAM a break getting Humble ISD out of the district....

Guest DickVitale

Back in the day PA Lincoln basketball was the talk of the region, of the state.   Schools in Houston, Dallas, where ever whatever they all feared and respected lincoln basketball.   Then Lincoln closes and the PA basketball mystique vanishes.  Like over night.

What happened?   The only folks making noise outta PA these days are rappers.  (far as I know).I know they still shooting hoops in the playgrounds.   I don't understand the fall off.

~Kountzer~

I will tell you EXACTLY what has happened...When Memorial was created, they made a HUGE mistake in trying to "start over" and not embrace Port Arthur's west side and retaining all of that tradition...BIG MISTAKE...They killed interest along with tradition, therefore you lose players to Beaumont Kelly (J'Covan Brown in 9th and 10th grade) Nederland, PNG, and other surrounding schools that would have NEVER left Lincoln..PARENTS would not allow that to happen when Lincoln was around..They should have followed Ozen's lead when they "resurrected" Hebert...Same colors (blue and gold) same mascot (Panthers) and they simply named the school after someone that the entire community knew and loved, Clifton J. Ozen....If Memorial's colors were purple and gold, the mascot were bumblebees, and they would have named the school JAMES GAMBLE HIGH, they would not have missed a beat!! THATS the reason why they fell so far, so fast...They lost the WEST SIDE of Port Arthur... ;)

Back in the day PA Lincoln basketball was the talk of the region, of the state.   Schools in Houston, Dallas, where ever whatever they all feared and respected lincoln basketball.   Then Lincoln closes and the PA basketball mystique vanishes.  Like over night.

What happened?   The only folks making noise outta PA these days are rappers.  (far as I know).I know they still shooting hoops in the playgrounds.   I don't understand the fall off.

~Kountzer~

I will tell you EXACTLY what has happened...When Memorial was created, they made a HUGE mistake in trying to "start over" and not embrace Port Arthur's west side and retaining all of that tradition...BIG MISTAKE...They killed interest along with tradition, therefore you lose players to Beaumont Kelly (J'Covan Brown in 9th and 10th grade) Nederland, PNG, and other surrounding schools that would have NEVER left Lincoln..PARENTS would not allow that to happen when Lincoln was around..They should have followed Ozen's lead when they "resurrected" Hebert...Same colors (blue and gold) same mascot (Panthers) and they simply named the school after someone that the entire community knew and loved, Clifton J. Ozen....If Memorial's colors were purple and gold, the mascot were bumblebees, and they would have named the school JAMES GAMBLE HIGH, they would not have missed a beat!! THATS the reason why they fell so far, so fast...They lost the WEST SIDE of Port Arthur... ;)

I understand what you are saying, Dicky, truely I do. But you can't name the only school in PA after a Lincoln coach and use Lincoln colors and mascot. There was a school named Thomas Jefferson also that was involved in the consolidation. There has to be some consideration for that school also.

I think that it was handled about as good as could be expected. You really can't compare Ozen to Memorial. Memorial is the only school in PA, where as Ozen is just a newer version of Hebert, there still is West Brook and Central. Now if you were to merge all three of those schools, then you could compare it to the merger of Lincoln and TJ.

~Kountzer~

I understand what you are saying, Dicky, truely I do. But you can't name the only school in PA after a Lincoln coach and use Lincoln colors and mascot. There was a school named Thomas Jefferson also that was involved in the consolidation. There has to be some consideration for that school also.

I think that it was handled about as good as could be expected. You really can't compare Ozen to Memorial. Memorial is the only school in PA, where as Ozen is just a newer version of Hebert, there still is West Brook and Central. Now if you were to merge all three of those schools, then you could compare it to the merger of Lincoln and TJ.

Don't forget about SFA.....

Anyway, the boat was missed during consolidation as far as coaching goes.  Suggs got away.  Green wasn't ready to step up to 5A bball, the girls programs suffered(except for Bball as long as Tae-Tae was there).  Painting PAM purple and gold would've ment anything without a good staff in place.....

When PAM first opened, there were some digruntled parents who took their kids else where( a subject for a later date).  On the surface, it seem to be a great loss(J'Covian's brother comes to mind) but as time went on, alot of these kids didn't amont to a hill of beans after high school.  Alot of parents tell me it's about their kids education and I feel them on that but at the end of the day, running away from the problem doesn't do anybody any good in the long run....

Guest DickVitale

Yeah thats true, but was there any REAL history at TJ, as far as sports go? SFA? Not really...Not much at all...When people thought about Port Arthur, the first thing that comes to mind is LINCOLN...If they tore that old TJ campus down TODAY, it would mean absolutely NOTHING...You know why? Most of the old TJ folks don't CLAIM TJ anyway, because they really don't want to be associated with PA...Thats a fact, but a conversation for another day and thread... ;)

Lincoln has PROUD history and people would be outraged if that history were to be torn down or taken away...I truly feel that the Lincoln resurrection idea would have worked on SO many levels.

Yeah thats true, but was there any REAL history at TJ, as far as sports go? SFA? Not really...Not much at all...When people thought about Port Arthur, the first thing that comes to mind is LINCOLN...If they tore that old TJ campus down TODAY, it would mean absolutely NOTHING...You know why? Most of the old TJ folks don't CLAIM TJ anyway, because they really don't want to be associated with PA...Thats a fact, but a conversation for another day and thread... ;)

Lincoln has PROUD history and people would be outraged if that history were to be torn down or taken away...I truly feel that the Lincoln resurrection idea would have worked on SO many levels.

TJ and Lincoln did well before intergration in football.  Bone Washington tore down what was once a Lincoln tradition on the field.  The Old Man Thompson had one good run, while my Eagles made 2 semifinal apperances in the 80's.  Lincoln held down basketball and track while Austin did well in track and baseball.  All that said, I could care less about what school folks assumed one went to when it was found out one was from PA.  I'm all about the present and it starts with the hiring of a new football coach and Henderson getting pass the first round in Bball starting this week.....

Back in the day PA Lincoln basketball was the talk of the region, of the state.   Schools in Houston, Dallas, where ever whatever they all feared and respected lincoln basketball.   Then Lincoln closes and the PA basketball mystique vanishes.  Like over night.

What happened?   The only folks making noise outta PA these days are rappers.  (far as I know).I know they still shooting hoops in the playgrounds.   I don't understand the fall off.

~Kountzer~

There's no Kingwood in 4A.  5A is the real deal in all sports.  Plus Green wasn't ready to coach them up.  The UIL gave PAM a break getting Humble ISD out of the district....

I know, I know Green is from Silsbee.   Joe Price is from Silsbee also, and he led the bumble bees to one of those 4A championships.  He's @ Northshore now, I believe.   Lincoln won at least one 5A championship way back in the day.   Back when the beehive was stinging it really didn't matter during the regular season.  5a, 2a whatever, Lincoln would give them a beatdown, then march on to State.  

Then 5a schools like Kingwood start running their razzle dazzle.  Mysteriously pulling Nic Wise from Fort Bend Hightower(where Green is now), recruiting players, allegedly (using my best Jim Rome impersonation).   Now strake jesuit is in the mix.  They recruit statewide, nationally, internationally.  It don't matter to them.   Mark of the beast...sorry that's too deep.

I wish PAM well.  I just remember Lincoln that's all.   I live in Houston btw, but part of my heart is still in hardin county and all of SE Texas.

~ Kountzer ~

"

Then 5a schools like Kingwood start running their razzle dazzle."

Kingwood and razzle dazzle in the same sentence?????? Kingwood runs THE MOST (boring) fundamental** bball system anywhere. The coach punishes razzle dazzle stuff.

**especially DEFENSE and controlling the tempo (truly bball fundamentals). J'Covan Brown never scored a single point against Kwd in the 4th qtr of ANY game PAM ever played against Kwd.

~Kountzer~

Don't forget about SFA.....

Anyway, the boat was missed during consolidation as far as coaching goes.  Suggs got away.  Green wasn't ready to step up to 5A bball, the girls programs suffered(except for Bball as long as Tae-Tae was there).  Painting PAM purple and gold would've ment anything without a good staff in place.....

When PAM first opened, there were some digruntled parents who took their kids else where( a subject for a later date).  On the surface, it seem to be a great loss(J'Covian's brother comes to mind) but as time went on, alot of these kids didn't amont to a hill of beans after high school.  Alot of parents tell me it's about their kids education and I feel them on that but at the end of the day, running away from the problem doesn't do anybody any good in the long run....

SFA you missed the boat... There was mnbo step up for Green... Central was 5A at the time he left them.  Central went to state and was a factor in the region every year.  Green knows 5A ball but PA couldn't get with his discipline style... That is what hurt the program... The FANS themselves!

Great point short TX. the fans,parent and students killed what we had in PAT. But the dead has risen and we're getting the buses ready for AUSTIN again. The past is dead. Let the parents have the purple,the maroon and the blue. These children are ready to set a new standard, now lets give MHS the love its due. either way it starts tommorrow night in baytown @ 7.

Yeah, It is no wonder why Green won Big at Central and now is winning Big at Hightower.  Both 5A programs in tough districts but could not do it at Memorial in a tough district.  Green was at the Jags when kingwood, Humble, Baytown Lee, and Brook were at their best!  Humble had three D1 signees all taller that 6'5" one year and one of those kids was a PG!

Trust me when I say it is not ALL Henderson that has turned arround PA.  It is the breed of kid that he has playing for him now.  He could not do much with some highly talented teams at Lincoln in 4A on his first SETX tour.  But now the kids have Memorial pride, not just Lincoln or TJ pride.  It is much less bickering between the kids because the only identity they have is Memorial.  Also, the district is not that powerhouse district that they have been in in the past.

Westbrook is not strong, NS is good but have been very beatable, and from there who is tough?  Timing means alot, and look at the area rankings by coaches... Only Strake (#1) is in the top ten, with Hightower (GREEN), FB Bush (same district as GREEN), and Kingwood in the top 15... So they can make some noise in the first two rounds before seeing any of these teams....  And the character kids that Memorial has there now helps alot...  These kids just want to play ball!

Yeah, It is no wonder why Green won Big at Central and now is winning Big at Hightower.  Both 5A programs in tough districts but could not do it at Memorial in a tough district.  Green was at the Jags when kingwood, Humble, Baytown Lee, and Brook were at their best!  Humble had three D1 signees all taller that 6'5" one year and one of those kids was a PG!

Trust me when I say it is not ALL Henderson that has turned arround PA.  It is the breed of kid that he has playing for him now.  He could not do much with some highly talented teams at Lincoln in 4A on his first SETX tour.  But now the kids have Memorial pride, not just Lincoln or TJ pride.  It is much less bickering between the kids because the only identity they have is Memorial.  Also, the district is not that powerhouse district that they have been in in the past.

Westbrook is not strong, NS is good but have been very beatable, and from there who is tough?  Timing means alot, and look at the area rankings by coaches... Only Strake (#1) is in the top ten, with Hightower (GREEN), FB Bush (same district as GREEN), and Kingwood in the top 15... So they can make some noise in the first two rounds before seeing any of these teams....  And the character kids that Memorial has there now helps alot...  These kids just want to play ball!

This is a great post, short. You have nailed it. David Green was just as good a coach back then as he is now. The PA kids just didn't take to his style of coaching. There's no question that it is a winning style.

You mention that the kids are more team oriented now. I beleive that to be true, all the prima-donnas are gone. ;)

This is a great post, short. You have nailed it. David Green was just as good a coach back then as he is now. The PA kids just didn't take to his style of coaching. There's no question that it is a winning style.

You mention that the kids are more team oriented now. I beleive that to be true, all the prima-donnas are gone. ;)

Short u da man, The GOAT could not have said it better myself the have PRIDE,even if on one else does,and the just wanna play ball. Forget the 1 and 2 round were for Hightower now.

I guess as far as Green goes.  Yes he won @Central--well he got out of the region once but that didn't transfer to PAM.  I think the perfect storm was brewing when Kingwood was just the school of Region 3 in the early part of this decade.  Couldn't get passed them.  The one time PAM won the district, they couldn't win the next game after the bye.  All I know is Henderson better get them at least to the 3rd round or he will be seeking work else where...

I guess as far as Green goes.  Yes he won @Central--well he got out of the region once but that didn't transfer to PAM.  I think the perfect storm was brewing when Kingwood was just the school of Region 3 in the early part of this decade.  Couldn't get passed them.  The one time PAM won the district, they couldn't win the next game after the bye.  All I know is Henderson better get them at least to the 3rd round or he will be seeking work else where...

Yeah your right too, I think Boutte wants to taste AAAAA!!!!!!! :o

As a former Coach Green player yall are right he was a good guider, but we dont play motion basketball in P.A. and it was taking us a long time to get to his style...I feel we was held back with coach Green but he is a good man...and disicipline was not it either...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder