My take on the Ozen/Jefferson situation......

TopHat31

I don't know if it's taboo or not to start another thread over this stuff but I am just afraid that after 12 pages of stuff written what I have to say may get lost.  But, according to the DISTRICT POLICY for Ozen High School here is the part that is written about what happened with this young man.  In any school when a student is ARRESTED they are to be sent to some kind of Alternative Education Placement center.  According to Beaumont ISD's own student "Code of Conduct" this is what it says regarding a student, athlete or not:

This is the hidden content, please

At the bottom of page 24 and carried over to page 25 it says this,

"A student must be placed in a DAEP if the student:"....

"Sells, gives, or delivers to another person, or possesses, uses, or is under the

influence of marijuana, a controlled substance, or a dangerous drug in an amount

not constituting a felony offense. (School-related felony drug offenses are

addressed in the Expulsion section.) (See glossary for “under the influenceâ€)"

Now, you can sit there and tell me all the if’s and’s or but’s you want but it is clearly spelled out that if a student is caught with that stuff, and this applies to on or off campus, then they are to be put into AEP or DAEP whatever you want to call it.  Being in education I know that it is a mandatory placement when a student has charges filed against them, no questions asked about it, that kid goes to AEP until said charges are dropped.  He NEVER went and will he ever go? It sounds like that’s going to be a no.

Two game suspension, in games that EVERYONE knows doesn’t mean jack squat, is possible the dumbest thing I have ever heard and I have been around for quite a while.  And then he will be back in the playoffs?  What a joke, that kid will learn nothing and remember a coach’s job first and foremost is to TEACH a kid how to be a productive citizen not a menace.  It’s not to win, though there is tons of pressure, but it is to help that student athlete grow up and give him or her qualities and attributes to be a productive person in society.

Also, how do you as a coach not know what is going on with your program?  Saveat can tell us all day long that he didn’t know this happened, that’s BS and I say that because if a coach doesn’t know what is going on inside his or her program then they need to be gone anyway.  EVERY coach knows when something like this happens because people EVERYWHERE talk.  Also, the local police department is supposed to let the school know when they arrest a kid or take him to jail and that kid is a student.  Saveat knew and he and his coaching staff playing dumb is a HUGE black mark on his career because know matter what he does from here on out people will still think he is doing some shady stuff.  I am disappointed in him as well.

So, in all this stuff going on who cares if they forfeit their last five games or not the kid is not going to be put into AEP.  How does that follow their own guidelines and how do they explain this situation to the rest of their student body?

By the way for you Ozen fans backing the school on all this and calling us other people crazy.  I honestly believe that if you go back and look at Ozen’s school records over the course of this year, you will find a kid that was caught with some kind of drug or was involved with the police and that kid was sent to AEP (DAEP).  How come it’s not the same in this situation?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hoops12

I don't know if it's taboo or not to start another thread over this stuff but I am just afraid that after 12 pages of stuff written what I have to say may get lost.  But, according to the DISTRICT POLICY for Ozen High School here is the part that is written about what happened with this young man.  In any school when a student is ARRESTED they are to be sent to some kind of Alternative Education Placement center.  According to Beaumont ISD's own student "Code of Conduct" this is what it says regarding a student, athlete or not:

http://www.beaumont.k12.tx.us/handbook/conduct07-08.pdf

"Sells, gives, or delivers to another person, or possesses, uses, or is under the

influence of marijuana, a controlled substance, or a dangerous drug in an amount

addressed in the Expulsion section.) (See glossary for under the influence)"

Now, you can sit there and tell me all the ifs ands or buts you want but it is clearly spelled out that if a student is caught with that stuff, and this applies to on or off campus, then they are to be put into AEP or DAEP whatever you want to call it.  Being in education I know that it is a mandatory placement when a student has charges filed against them, no questions asked about it, that kid goes to AEP until said charges are dropped.  He NEVER went and will he ever go? It sounds like thats going to be a no.

Two game suspension, in games that EVERYONE knows doesnt mean jack squat, is possible the dumbest thing I have ever heard and I have been around for quite a while.  And then he will be back in the playoffs?  What a joke, that kid will learn nothing and remember a coachs job first and foremost is to TEACH a kid how to be a productive citizen not a menace.  Its not to win, though there is tons of pressure, but it is to help that student athlete grow up and give him or her qualities and attributes to be a productive person in society.

Also, how do you as a coach not know what is going on with your program?  Saveat can tell us all day long that he didnt know this happened, thats BS and I say that because if a coach doesnt know what is going on inside his or her program then they need to be gone anyway.  EVERY coach knows when something like this happens because people EVERYWHERE talk.  Also, the local police department is supposed to let the school know when they arrest a kid or take him to jail and that kid is a student.  Saveat knew and he and his coaching staff playing dumb is a HUGE black mark on his career because know matter what he does from here on out people will still think he is doing some shady stuff.  I am disappointed in him as well.

So, in all this stuff going on who cares if they forfeit their last five games or not the kid is not going to be put into AEP.  How does that follow their own guidelines and how do they explain this situation to the rest of their student body?

By the way for you Ozen fans backing the school on all this and calling us other people crazy.  I honestly believe that if you go back and look at Ozens school records over the course of this year, you will find a kid that was caught with some kind of drug or was involved with the police and that kid was sent to AEP (DAEP).  How come its not the same in this situation?

All in all I agree with your take on the situation.

This is the hidden content, please

addressed in the Expulsion section.) (See glossary for “under the influence”)"

Now, you can sit there and tell me all the if’s and’s or but’s you want but it is clearly spelled out that if a student is caught with that stuff, and this applies to on or off campus, then they are to be put into AEP or DAEP whatever you want to call it.  Being in education I know that it is a mandatory placement when a student has charges filed against them, no questions asked about it, that kid goes to AEP until said charges are dropped.  He NEVER went and will he ever go? It sounds like that’s going to be a no.

Two game suspension, in games that EVERYONE knows doesn’t mean jack squat, is possible the dumbest thing I have ever heard and I have been around for quite a while.  And then he will be back in the playoffs?  What a joke, that kid will learn nothing and remember a coach’s job first and foremost is to TEACH a kid how to be a productive citizen not a menace.  It’s not to win, though there is tons of pressure, but it is to help that student athlete grow up and give him or her qualities and attributes to be a productive person in society.

Also, how do you as a coach not know what is going on with your program?  Saveat can tell us all day long that he didn’t know this happened, that’s BS and I say that because if a coach doesn’t know what is going on inside his or her program then they need to be gone anyway.  EVERY coach knows when something like this happens because people EVERYWHERE talk.  Also, the local police department is supposed to let the school know when they arrest a kid or take him to jail and that kid is a student.  Saveat knew and he and his coaching staff playing dumb is a HUGE black mark on his career because know matter what he does from here on out people will still think he is doing some shady stuff.  I am disappointed in him as well.

By the way for you Ozen fans backing the school on all this and calling us other people crazy.  I honestly believe that if you go back and look at Ozen’s school records over the course of this year, you will find a kid that was caught with some kind of drug or was involved with the police and that kid was sent to AEP (DAEP).  How come it’s not the same in this situation?

AMEN!!!!

This is just completely retarded...  BISD is a joke and if they do not follow their own rules I hope the state and the UIL rains the pain on them... They have written rules for a reason...    OZEN IS CHEATING...    Any game that he plays in from now til the end of his senior year should be forfiet... I believe that all the school districts in 20-4a should file a grievance if it is not handled exactly like it is lined out...

The only moral to this story.. you should have been caught in Beaumont.. you would have gotten away with it... someone would have made this minuscule charge go away...

Nice cherrypicking of information. ::)

Did we forget this little nugget of information to include?

Commits the following offenses on school property or within 300 feet of school

property as measured from any point on the school’s real property boundary line, or

while attending a school-sponsored or school-related activity on or off school

property:

This was not on school property.  I don't condone drug usage but let's get our facts straight.

property as measured from any point on the school’s real property boundary line, or

property:

This was not on school property.  I don't condone drug usage but let's get our facts straight.

Your right, I will give you that.  I didn't notice the fact that the quote was in a bullet underneath that.

So, let me ask you this question. A student gets in a fight off campus, charges are filed against him by the other kids family, that kid is scooped up and sent to AEP until those charges are dropped.  How does that happen?  Because it has.

property:

amen

property:

Your right, I will give you that.  I didn't notice the fact that the quote was in a bullet underneath that.

So, let me ask you this question. A student gets in a fight off campus, charges are filed against him by the other kids family, that kid is scooped up and sent to AEP until those charges are dropped.  How does that happen?  Because it has.

Was he charged with a felony such as with a deadly weapon?  That would force the DAEP hand.  Off campus felonies are a whole different ballgame. 

I would have to have more information on the incident to give a better answer.  I would wager the charges were either felony or this is tied into an incident that may have occured on campus.  I am going strictly by TEA rules and not individual district policies.

Well, I understand what your saying but I can't say anything more because I don't know who reads these boards.  But, from what I know of this incident there was nothing that made it a felony and it still happened.  Seeing that play out and now seeing this play out it just boggles my mind that there was nothing done, whether or not TEA says it has to be done or not, the fact that Ozen is simply giving him a meanningless 2 game suspension is in my mind a way for them to apease some people and keep their star player out there.  Regardless of what TEA says, sorry.  APpreciate the info though.

Every school has policies and codes of conducts their student athletes must follow 24/7. Also, in every school the top athletes get away with breaking these rules. Had Willie been first chair tuba player preparing for solo and ensemble of preparing for UIL one act play, he would have been whisked off and not been allowed to participate in any activities.

Had this been an athlete from Central that was caught, all the Ozen backers would be calling for his head and the Central backers would be in their places defending him.

Gifted athletes have always been able to break the rules. 30 years ago when I was in high school the top performers could do anything then. As sad as it is, it has always been that way and it probably always will.

Guest nostradamus

Tiger90,

Thank you for your insight.  I said some things yesterday that were incorrect.  I have my master's in administration (though I am not a practicing administrator) and was going off my memory and what I had spoken to some others about.  However, I spoke to our campus principal this morning.  I gave him the scenario as if it were one of our student athletes.  This is what he told me would happen in our school:

-The district is not required to take any action and would not since it happened more than 300 feet from the school campus.

-However, the athletic department would be REQUIRED to act on it because this type of act is outlined in our athletic policy manual (something that I believe all school districts have)

-In our athletic manual, it states that any misdemeanor REQUIRES that student athlete to be removed from ALL athletics immediately for one calendar year and cannot be reinstated until certain requirements have been met.

I set back and read comments on Top Hat and how he/she wanted to blast BISD and then I read as he/she stood corrected by Tiger 90, I now see why you are not a practicing administrator.. For the simple reason that if this were not on thread charges could be brought up against you for slander... No fun intended...

Yes, because everyone on a message board is innocent in that case.  NO ONE and I mean no one says anything bad about a team, coach, administration etc.  That's the whole premise of a message board, to criticize and discuss and each and every person on here is guilty as charged when talking about specific kids or coaches. Give me a break!!

"-However, the athletic department would be REQUIRED to act on it because this type of act is outlined in our athletic policy manual (something that I believe all school districts have)

-In our athletic manual, it states that any misdemeanor REQUIRES that student athlete to be removed from ALL athletics immediately for one calendar year and cannot be reinstated until certain requirements have been met."

In order for them to act on it, they would have to KNOW about it.  Hence, the claim that the coach was not aware of it.  Do you seriously think they are going to jeopardize their chances of doing well in the playoffs by being upfront in admitting this, and just simply bench/suspend this kid??  LMAO.....  They will do anything and everything in their power to keep him eligible for the playoffs, as I think any school would do.   It's political BS at its finest!

Guest nostradamus

I believe that authorities are required to inform an ISD within 3 days of of the arrest.  So the school/ISD does know about it.  That doesn't necessarily mean the coach would know about it but, to my knowledge, the authorities must inform the school.

I believe that authorities are required to inform an ISD within 3 days of of the arrest.  So the school/ISD does know about it.  That doesn't necessarily mean the coach would know about it but, to my knowledge, the authorities must inform the school.

You would think because he is also an Assitant Principal he might have a clue about.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder