NEDERLAND FANS! SAVE THE DRY ERASE BOARD AND SCHOOL SPIRIT

neddog69

I for one think it's crazy to not let them show school spirit. I hate that everytime I hear it. I know that the Hawk Hecklers have been asked and warned to tone there acts down as well, I think it's silly, but I do see both sides, I have also been there when parents chew on the Highschool administration for letting it go on, and then go as far as writing letters to the school board members claiming how disrespectful it is to have fans like that. I've seen it at other schools I know Silsbee had a similar problem with some kids with painted chest and they tried to ban them or something from the games, I have watched the Hawk Hecklers for the last 8 or 9 years and yes every now and then you had one or two guys go overboard and they were punished for it, but it seems like we are penny smart and pound foolish. If someone goes overboard then you punish them, not dismantel the whole group. I think it's good for the kids to feel like they are a part of the game. Again I think it is silly to stop kids from showing up and supporting their team when they could be out doing a lot worse. There should be some Parents held accountable for their actions but you never see that happening either.Please cut these kids some slack and let them bring their erase board and have some good clean fun. If they do bad things with it, then punish them but set the guidelines up first.But it's probably just easier to stop the whole thing.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can be like Duke fans all they want as long as they don't add Speedo man like the Cameron Crazies have LOL! Seriously I find myself now over 10 years out of school saddened by what I'm seeing at most of our local schools where higher ups have taken character out of each school. My name is Ashly you think I didn't hear it when I played baseball come on WO-Stark was the worst but I did my talking on the field. Guess what I don't have nightmares over it I'm OK. Seriously it's time for the world to just lighten up and have fun.

im not saying the team wont be good without the board cause they will be but lets be honest this is the first time in school history that they have a chance to make playoffs. and its like the admis. make it seem as if they dont want the kids to care that their friends are doing something good and making history..i say the little man and his possy need to screw off and let the kids have fun

This is clearly an example of how the N.H.S. administration is being very unreasonable. They are most certainly not carrying out the will of the people of Nederland. My question is, since there is nothing in NISD school policy referring to unoffensive signs at sporting events, the students have paid money to be spectators at the game, the majority of students have not been instructed to not bring a dry erase board, and there is nothing offensive on the board as well as no rules being broken, can the students be disciplined in school? Hmmm...might be a legal issue there. I can see the kids being kicked out of the game okay on the grounds that something offensive was written on the boards, but if nothing offensive was written what is accomplished by kicking out your student section? Oh yeah, helping the other team. I can tell you this much, if my son wasn't on the floor playing and "the man" attempted to take disciplinary action against him for supporting his team with a harmless dry erase board, I'd be complaining in that front office pretty quick. I would like a public explanation as to the threat the admin. feels is posed by the "board".  What a joke.

Man I can remember back in the day, Silsbee would cheer like crazy when the announcer called out our players and when the announcer calls out other teams players we would have pages to the news paper and hold them up over our faces and holler out "who cares" or "so what" or "go home" among other things. Man those where the days and not one administrator said a word.

heyyy jus to let you know we did that firstt.. uhmm silsbee and about 3 other schools stole that from us... i HATE imitators mannnn...

i think its crap that the admin is trying to tell us how to cheer at a game. its not like any of us are writing bad things on the board . i got in trouble for writing the board supports girls basketball too. and i got yelled at i mean common. and your correct friday night is the big night i dare them to take them friday night

thanks everyone...as a fellow dome dummy it makes me feel better knowing im not the only one that thinks this is absolutely RIDICULOUS...so thats why we ask everyone to come out friday to the dog dome and witness the dogs make their way into playoffs...and the board WILL be there...along with a few others just in case ;D

Bring the BOARD to the game, keep it clean, have fun with it, and pump up your team from the stands. What the heck is wrong with that? I hate it when the good kids get knocked around, the ones who obey school rules, make the grades and represent their schools well, I hate it when they get put in the same category as the ones who could care less about the school and school spirit. I was against the dress code and this is just another example of what a person in charge does to try and dictate a situation. Why not try and give the BOARD operator guidelines to follow, monitor it, and see if the kids can follow your guidelines. Wait, that would actually be trying to teach, educate, and bridge trust, we can't do that. Yep, it is much easier just to put the kid in the same category as the bad kid and take away the fun of being a high school student. Give the kids rules to follow, if they follow them it's because they have respect for you. That is how you get respect from the kids. Don't just throw a rule out there because it makes YOUR job easier. Bring the BOARD.

Now if the board guys have already broken the rules then I retract all of this, but until they break your rule, how fair is it to judge them this way, kinda like all the kids who obeyed the rules already in place for the dress code, but that is another subject.

Kind of silly to talk about this stuff on a message board, almost as silly as someone in charge telling a kid he can't bring a dry erase board to a school basketball game...Again, keep it clean and wheres the harm, flat telling a kid no without seeing if he can respect your guidelines, now that is wrong without argument.

Go Dogs!

P.S. - I only wrote this because I know the boys involved, and I know they love their school and are good young men. Again, if you give them rules to follow and they do, where is the harm, and, who has gained their respect?

Way to go Mr. Mosley... I could not agree more..

I agree...Nederland should pack the dome Friday night with dry erase boards that all have positive messages to support to DAWGS....I am not talking about students only.....ALL fans!  What a great year for hoops!! ...... Playoffs, 20 win season, beat the State Champs in the YMBL....fantastic...I hope Nederland packs the house to come watch these boys play some great hoop...the dawg dome should be rock-in Friday night!!!!

After reading all these posts, one thing comes to mind. They won't let the kids support the team then why should the parents support  the bond election? It seems that the administration has forgotten that NHS is not THEIR school. Seen it too many times in other districts. I think from all that is being said that this situation is just the 'tip of the iceberg'. I think this one dry erase board issue has finally forced parents and students alike to FINALLY stand up and say something. I talked to a Board member who said the "top dog" at the HS told him the reason was that the sign might incite a riot. At a rival game, as was told to the board member, the opposing team had a dry erase board, too. The "top dog" said the opposing coach asked that both sides remove the dry erase boards. Well, children, I talked to the coach in question and he informed me that, "I have no idea what you are talking about." Uh oh. Did a "top dog' tell an un-truth to a Board member? This dry erase board issue has finally unveiled the real reason for the banning.....a hidden agenda. Same as the  dress code. What is school approved and where can the approved apparel be purchased? Someone made a ton o' money off that new rule, and, no, I bet it wasn't the school district and I bet that the business that profited pays taxes in another school district. Enough is enough!!!

You have hit the nail on the head.  I was voting for the bond but will not now.  The only way to hold the administration truly accountable to the tax payer is to vote.  This is, in the grand scheme of things, a minor issue but as you said it is the tip of the ice berg and the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. 

Not voting for a bond is costly to you as a tax payer and only hurting the kids the administration still gets paid, if you want to make a difference you need to ask to be on the agenda before the next board meeting at least a week a head of time, show up in force young and old and voice your opinion, there usually is a comment section at the end of each board meeting for public comments but there can be no official action on the item unless it's on the agenda. I support your fight now go take it to them.

Hey Mr. Dome Dummie.

I don't know exactly who you are but I am always at the games sitting with yall and I graduated in 07 so I'll bring a board to and if they try to take my board we will have some problems. Not cause I will do anything stupid on it but I will show my support for the team. And I dare Mr. Little Man 9 Fingers to stop me!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    catherine
    Newest Member
    catherine