• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PNG's Fab Five (my opinion)

1. John Worthington
2. Jamel Durasau (Sp)
3. Travis Thompson
4. Travis Weathersbee
5. Damon Kerr

I know Thompson went to ETBU, and heard something about Weathersbee going to UT-Tyler. Worthington and Jamel went to Lamar Pa, Damon did not decide to go play anywhere. So PNG does produce collegiate athletes just not much.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="Prideisforever" post="745905" timestamp="1263870146"]
PNG's Fab Five (my opinion)

1. John Worthington
2. Jamel Durasau (Sp)
3. Travis Thompson
4. Travis Weathersbee
5. Damon Kerr

I know Thompson went to ETBU, and heard something about Weathersbee going to UT-Tyler. Worthington and Jamel went to Lamar Pa, Damon did not decide to go play anywhere. So PNG does produce collegiate athletes just not much.
[/quote]
You must not have seen Bobby Straface play that cay was one of the top PG's when he played.....

[quote name="The Ingredient" post="744257" timestamp="1263570922"]
[quote author=shorttexas1 link=topic=47993.msg743704#msg743704 date=1263475501]
Well AG!  THE best out of Jaguar land has to be Damon Sweet!  THE best out of Lincoln has to be Stephen Jackson. THE best out of Westbrook has to be Luke Jackson but Sneed is pushing him!  I think THE best out of your school has to be Thadeous Holden.  THE best out of TJ has do be Darious Hayes.. THE best out of Memorial has to be Jacovin Brown.   THE best out of Ozen is Perk.

[/quote]

Best out of TJ was Brannon Hayes. I think you confused him with Darious Brannon who played for Lincoln about same time. You really think Stephen Jackson was better in HS than McElroy and BJ Tyler and Anthony Allen???? I just looked up that Lincoln has 23 players who were all-state from 1973 to 2001!!!!! Yes Jackson has had a better career, but McElroy was the best HS player IMO. But I didnt see all the others since some were before my time. Same with Keena Young and Perkins @ Ozen. Young was the better HS player.
[/quote]

Stephen Jackson was not the best to come outta the HIVE, I have seen BJ, Mac, Red(Anthony Allen), Leonard Allen, Kelvin McKyer, ect. They say a guy by the name of Earl "The Pearl Evans was the best to ever don a Bees Uniform, played both NBA and CBA, and was ranked 2nd in the nation only to Moses Malone, who went to the pros after HS.....That I've seen either BJ or Mac....

[quote name="bees85" post="751288" timestamp="1264753160"]
[quote author=The Ingredient link=topic=47993.msg744257#msg744257 date=1263570922]
[quote author=shorttexas1 link=topic=47993.msg743704#msg743704 date=1263475501]
Well AG!  THE best out of Jaguar land has to be Damon Sweet!  THE best out of Lincoln has to be Stephen Jackson. THE best out of Westbrook has to be Luke Jackson but Sneed is pushing him!  I think THE best out of your school has to be Thadeous Holden.  THE best out of TJ has do be Darious Hayes.. THE best out of Memorial has to be Jacovin Brown.   THE best out of Ozen is Perk.

[/quote]

Best out of TJ was Brannon Hayes. I think you confused him with Darious Brannon who played for Lincoln about same time. You really think Stephen Jackson was better in HS than McElroy and BJ Tyler and Anthony Allen???? I just looked up that Lincoln has 23 players who were all-state from 1973 to 2001!!!!! Yes Jackson has had a better career, but McElroy was the best HS player IMO. But I didnt see all the others since some were before my time. Same with Keena Young and Perkins @ Ozen. Young was the better HS player.
[/quote]

Stephen Jackson was not the best to come outta the HIVE, I have seen BJ, Mac, Red(Anthony Allen), Leonard Allen, Kelvin McKyer, ect. They say a guy by the name of Earl "The Pearl Evans was the best to ever don a Bees Uniform, played both NBA and CBA, and was ranked 2nd in the nation only to Moses Malone, who went to the pros after HS.....That I've seen either BJ or Mac....
[/quote]

No disrespect to the other great players but Earl Evans was in a different league as a high school player. I seen him play as an 8th grader and he was the most dominate player in this area imo. Your jaw would drop if we had youtube back in the 70's.

• 1 month later...
[quote name="Boogy1000" post="780937" timestamp="1269391842"]
Ill take the Top 9 Tigers vs your TOP 9 anyday baby!!!

SF Michael Dabney
PF Lewis Arline
C Eddie Fobbs
SG Darrel McArthur
PG Thad Holden

PF Chris Miller
SG Al Henry
SF Chris Martin
PG Tirus Elam

LETS PLAY BALL!!!!!
[/quote]

IMO if you get the best 9 from Lincoln could take on Silsbee no question. Silsbee has some great ones but Lincoln takes it.

If you take the best 5 out of any school for the most part they would be able to compete with just about any other school in the area. And I am not sure these would be the best the Tigers have had not a bad list but somewhat of a recent flavor.

Thad Holden.  I saw him 3 or 4 times.  Good player.  Nice jump shot.  I grew up with his Mom and his Aunt.  I used to watch his dad play sports for the old Waldo Matthews teams. He's aiight in my book.

Silsbee all timers vs. PA Lincoln?  That's pure speculation there.  They put out a lot of legends at PA Lincoln.  Before Steve Jackson there was Earl Evans.  Then there was that pg that went on to star at U T Austin for 2 or 3 years.

Going to play at the beehive (PA Lincoln gym) used to make opposing team's knees knock with fear.  I miss that school.

The best basketballl rivalry doenst live anymore. Silsbee vs Lincoln was the absolute best. Each and every single game was a sell out. I went to these match ups for 15 straight years. I remember when they both were in 23-4A and played each other twice a year. Linclon was always ranked #1 or so in the state and Silsbee #9 or not ranked at all. The bee hive was a absolute nightmare of a place to play. The fans were "crazy"! The would talk about Joe Siglers suites so bad, you would have to laugh. The last one I went too was in 1997 when Silsbee beat Lincoln by 26 points in the Tigers Den. I saw Kevin Mckyer, BJ Tyler, Steve Jackson, McElroy, Keith Harris, Spencer Comeaux, etc... Overall, I would be fair to say that both teams were evenly matched from a talent stand point. Silsbee ALWAYS had a ton of talent. Andre Bouttee was the diference maker to some degree. He really knew how to maximize his guys talents. I wish that PA Lincoln still existed. Great for Golden Triangle basketball in the 70's-90's.

For Madison I'll go with...

Dave "The Rave" Stallworth

He was a 6'7" forward who played for the Trojans almost 50 years ago. More than 45 years later, Harrison Hamm, a good friend of mine and our former head coach, brought Stallworth back to have his number 22 retired during halftime of a game in 2006.

This would be a bit difficult to pick one (I had to leave out Archie Beason, Jerome Rogers, Donnie Beacham and most recently Desmond Flentroy among many others.) but I'll pick the player that paved the way for future NBA players from Dallas. He was the first NBA player to come from Dallas for those that don't know. I'm obviously way too young to have ever seen this man play, but anyone who blazed a trail for so many others from Dallas in the ensuing decades deserves top billing.

Stallworth played for Madison during the PVIL (Prairie View Interscholastic League.) era. Knowing the history of the school that was a rough period because the school had previously been an all-white school named Forest Avenue High School. It had students such as Aaron Spelling and Stanley Marcus before it became James Madison High School in 1956.

From Wikipedia: [b]Dave Stallworth entered the program in the 1961-62 season. Nicknamed "The Rave", Stallworth became the Shockers' first consensus All-American in 1964. He finished with a career scoring average of 24.2 points per game and was second on the all-time scoring list with 1,936 points.[/b]

He played in the NBA from 1965-75. He won a championship as a member of the 1970 New York Knicks championship team. What folks bring up often about him being on that team is that he had missed the prior two seasons due to a heart attack, but he came back and had a big role off the bench for the Knicks that year.

He also has a scholarship named after him at Wichita State.

http://webs.wichita.edu/?u=foundation&p=/SpiritoftheGiftBiographyProject/Biographies/DaveStallworthAllAmericanScholarship/

Dave Stallworth All-American Scholarship
On February 2, 1962, Shocker basketball player Dave Stallworth officially became a member of the varsity team, putting an end to the days of small crowds and sub par competition. Describing his first game with Marquette, he said, Ć¢ā‚¬Å“I was completely full of energy. It was such an exciting atmosphere.Ć¢ā‚¬Ā He estimated his first shot was at 22 feet, a carefully selected attempt that paved the way to a 79-71 victory.

Following his initial game, Dave Ć¢ā‚¬Å“The RaveĆ¢ā‚¬Ā Stallworth led the team to NCAA Tournament appearances in 1963-64 and 1964-65. He established several university records and received the All American title for his final two years as a Shocker. After college, he went on to play professionally for the New York Knicks and the Baltimore Bullets.

In 1979, Mr. Stallworth became a charter inductee into the Shocker Hall of Fame and, in 1997, a charter member of the Missouri Valley Conference Hall of Fame. He was the first Shocker to have his number (42) retired. The Dave Stallworth All-American Scholarship is awarded to student athletes as a lasting reminder of Mr. StallworthĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s contributions as a talented and memorable Shocker basketball player.

This is a quote from, Mike Kennedy, the voice of Wichita State athletics...

http://webs.wichita.edu/dt/shockermag/show/dept.asp?_s=624&_d=16

[b]I have had many special Ć¢ā‚¬Å“Shocker momentsĆ¢ā‚¬Ā in my 61 years. I can remember my first Shocker football and basketball games with my dad, and I was in the stands as a high school student to see Dave Stallworth score 40 points in his final college game.[/b]

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="504134" timestamp="1231840532"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=47993.msg504124#msg504124 date=1231839957]
I remember a Bokin kid from kountze back in the late seventies that was good. Help me out someone.
[/quote]

Esker Boykin, '5"7 dunk artist. He was the Spud Webb before there was a Spud Webb. He and William Coffey ruled their district for a few years.
[/quote]
He played with Russell Coffey....another "animal around the rim" for Kountze

[quote name="whsalum" post="744928" timestamp="1263673276"]
[quote author=texasbasketballfan link=topic=47993.msg743690#msg743690 date=1263453050]
WHS alum where is ur list for the warriors?
[/quote]Warren doesn't have a rich basketball history as of late but they used to put some really god teams on the floor.If I had to make a list it would have a lot of old schoolers on it:
1-The Whites-Reuben,Daniel,Wayne and Jessie.Throw in a couple of sisters and they beat most teams.
2-Jessie and James Wolf.Two great high school players who went on to the NFL.
3-Jimmy Rawls-He played in the late 60's I believe and could score 50 on any given night.
4-Johnathan McNeal-Big guy with a soft shot who could fill it up.
5-Jacob Terrell-Great player on a average club.
6-Jerrod Walles-Spent more time on baseball/football but was the real deal.
7-Alan Danos-Didn't play but 1 year but was the piece that made Warren go.
8-Paul Sims-Shot over 80% from the FT line and over 40% from behind the arc for his career.
9-Fred Dunham-PG-Could single handidly beat the press.

These guys are not intended to be in any particular order but if I had to pick 1 as the best it would we Reuben White.This guy cut 4 fingers severely on his right hand in an ag shop accident and learned to play lefthanded and never missed a beat.

[/quote]
What about Ken Horuchuck(spelling?) & Bucky White from '81 - White went on to the Houston Oilers. Those were the 2 best that I've seen from Warren.

[quote name="Lt. Dangle" post="784133" timestamp="1269972160"]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=47993.msg744928#msg744928 date=1263673276]
[quote author=texasbasketballfan link=topic=47993.msg743690#msg743690 date=1263453050]
WHS alum where is ur list for the warriors?
[/quote]Warren doesn't have a rich basketball history as of late but they used to put some really god teams on the floor.If I had to make a list it would have a lot of old schoolers on it:
1-The Whites-Reuben,Daniel,Wayne and Jessie.Throw in a couple of sisters and they beat most teams.
2-Jessie and James Wolf.Two great high school players who went on to the NFL.
3-Jimmy Rawls-He played in the late 60's I believe and could score 50 on any given night.
4-Johnathan McNeal-Big guy with a soft shot who could fill it up.
5-Jacob Terrell-Great player on a average club.
6-Jerrod Walles-Spent more time on baseball/football but was the real deal.
7-Alan Danos-Didn't play but 1 year but was the piece that made Warren go.
8-Paul Sims-Shot over 80% from the FT line and over 40% from behind the arc for his career.
9-Fred Dunham-PG-Could single handidly beat the press.

These guys are not intended to be in any particular order but if I had to pick 1 as the best it would we Reuben White.This guy cut 4 fingers severely on his right hand in an ag shop accident and learned to play lefthanded and never missed a beat.

[/quote]
What about Ken Horuchuck(spelling?) & Bucky White from '81 - White went on to the Houston Oilers. Those were the 2 best that I've seen from Warren.
[/quote]

no zane hoffpauir in that list? crazy

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder