10. Damon Bassett
11. Big Walt
12. Demond Chambers
13. Kensly Barrett
14. Anthony Collins
15. Darrelll Goolsby
I added a few names!
[/quote]

skip was no where near #2. Clarence got that sewed up and above Garrett naw......maybe 4 or 5

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 15 in Ozen History!!!!!!

1. BIG Perk (All Everything)
2.Kena Young (3rd team All American, All State, All region, and All District)
3.Kris Richards (All State, All region, and All District)
4.Albert Marshall (2nd Team All State, All Region, and All District)
5.Mac Randle (All State Football and Basketball, All Region, and All District)
6.Breon Johnson (Honorable Mention All State, All Region, and All District)
7.Joe Lamb (All State, All Region, and All District)
8.Demond Cooper (All Region, and All District)
9.Mike Thomas (Honorable Mention All State, All Region, All District)
10.DeCarlos Frank (All State, All Region, and All District)
11.Rod Bellard (All Region, and All District)
12. Brandon Chapel (All Region, and All District)
13.Willie Jefferson (All Region, and All District)
14.Andre "P-NUTT" Boutte (All Region, All District)
15.Tigee Ridueax (Academic All State, and All District)

This is based on individual players making their team better...

Well AG!  THE best out of Jaguar land has to be Damon Sweet!  THE best out of Lincoln has to be Stephen Jackson. THE best out of Westbrook has to be Luke Jackson but Sneed is pushing him!  I think THE best out of your school has to be Thadeous Holden.  THE best out of TJ has do be Darious Hayes.. THE best out of Memorial has to be Jacovin Brown.  THE best out of Ozen is Perk.

Short, I will agree with your picks as THE best except for the Silsbee pick. I really like Holden, but the best to ever come out of Silsbee was McDonald's All-American Darryl McArthur. He scored over 2500 points in his high school career, which at the time had him in the top 20 all time scorers in the state of Texas, all classifications. McArthur was also a 3 time 1st team All State player(soph, jr, sr). His freshman year he started as a post player on the '83 team that went to the state tourney and lost in the semis. The team was 35-3 that year. That was the only year he played inside, he then moved out to the 2 guard the next three years and lit it up.

I remember his first three games his senior year he scored 52, 45, 49!!

[quote name="DogOne" post="742509" timestamp="1263270708"]
[quote author=NHS83LU87 link=topic=47993.msg499500#msg499500 date=1231230621]
Weaver Ned. '83
[/quote]

Jamie Weaver was a very good player but not the best to come out of Nederland.  That honor belongs to Buddy Davis ('48).  Davis was 6' 8" and averaged over 30 points his senior season at Nederland and accounted for 60% of the Bulldogs' points that season.  At Texas A&M Davis became an All-American in basketball and an Olympic high jumper.  Davis won the gold medal with an Olympic record in the high jump at the 1952 Olympics.  In 1953 Davis set the world record in the high jump.  He also played six years in the NBA.

I realize that this was over 50 years ago but the discussion of who is the best basketball player (and probably best athlete) to come out of Nederland starts and stops with Buddy Davis.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info.  IMO it's hard to compare where anyone absolutely falls because the game has changed so much over the years but you can't argue with and Olympic Gold and NBA career.  It's one of the reason's I like this type of question because you find out some history. 

[quote name="team first" post="742626" timestamp="1263314337"]
Ned Fab five: 
1. Francis Torres 2009
2. Brian Hefner  late 80s
3. Jamie Weaver early 80s
4. Corey Loupe 2000ish
5. Dionte Forney PRESENT
THIS GROUP COULD SCORE IN BUNCHES...
[/quote]

I can agree with Hefner, Weaver, and Loupe.  Forney may become a top five by the end of his senior year if he gets to playing consistent.  He has a ton of talent.  Torres was good but no way is he top five from Nederland.  He averaged 10-12 points a game.  I started watching Nederland Basketball in the 70's. Pat Wilson(70's), Wade Prejean(70's), Rory Hanley(70's), Brian English(80's), Mike Mayes(80's), Kevin Austin(80's), Greg Macon(80's), Cody Becnol(90's), Buddy Davis(see prior post) etc. all averaged more than that. Wilson and Prejean knew how to pass the ball better than anyone I have seen in modern Nederland Basketball.  I think a lot of those players get missed due to only one team going to the playoffs in the late 70's and early 80's.

[quote name="DogOne" post="742509" timestamp="1263270708"]
Weaver Ned. '83
[/quote]

Jamie Weaver was a very good player but not the best to come out of Nederland.  That honor belongs to Buddy Davis ('48).  Davis was 6' 8" and averaged over 30 points his senior season at Nederland and accounted for 60% of the Bulldogs' points that season.  At Texas A&M Davis became an All-American in basketball and an Olympic high jumper.  Davis won the gold medal with an Olympic record in the high jump at the 1952 Olympics.  In 1953 Davis set the world record in the high jump.  He also played six years in the NBA.

I realize that this was over 50 years ago but the discussion of who is the best basketball player (and probably best athlete) to come out of Nederland starts and stops with Buddy Davis.
[/quote]
second to him has to be George DeVries..
15 letters out of 16 tries
all four years in track
all four years in basketball
all four years in baseball
three in football
won state as runnning back for nederland in '57
and went pro in baseball

[quote name="shorttexas1" post="743704" timestamp="1263475501"]
Well AG!  THE best out of Jaguar land has to be Damon Sweet!  THE best out of Lincoln has to be Stephen Jackson. THE best out of Westbrook has to be Luke Jackson but Sneed is pushing him!  I think THE best out of your school has to be Thadeous Holden.  THE best out of TJ has do be Darious Hayes.. THE best out of Memorial has to be Jacovin Brown.  THE best out of Ozen is Perk.

[/quote]

Best out of TJ was Brannon Hayes. I think you confused him with Darious Brannon who played for Lincoln about same time. You really think Stephen Jackson was better in HS than McElroy and BJ Tyler and Anthony Allen???? I just looked up that Lincoln has 23 players who were all-state from 1973 to 2001!!!!! Yes Jackson has had a better career, but McElroy was the best HS player IMO. But I didnt see all the others since some were before my time. Same with Keena Young and Perkins @ Ozen. Young was the better HS player.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="499345" timestamp="1231215933"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=47993.msg499340#msg499340 date=1231215497]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=47993.msg498874#msg498874 date=1231166116]
ME!!!
[/quote]

It makes me feel so proud that nobody has disputed this. I thank you.

BTW, the best basketball player to come out of Silsbee really is Darrell McArthur, McDonalds All-American. ;)
[/quote]

I did not have my computer last night so I am reading this for the first time!!!!!!  If you are one of the best then either you did not graduate from Silsbee or the Silsbee program must have really sucked backed then!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D
[/quote]What's your list for HJ Lazeek ?

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="743728" timestamp="1263480072"]
Short, I will agree with your picks as THE best except for the Silsbee pick. I really like Holden, but the best to ever come out of Silsbee was McDonald's All-American Darryl McArthur. He scored over 2500 points in his high school career, which at the time had him in the top 20 all time scorers in the state of Texas, all classifications. McArthur was also a 3 time 1st team All State player(soph, jr, sr). His freshman year he started as a post player on the '83 team that went to the state tourney and lost in the semis. The team was 35-3 that year. That was the only year he played inside, he then moved out to the 2 guard the next three years and lit it up.

I remember his first three games his senior year he scored 52, 45, 49!!
[/quote]

On the money AAW,  I remember a quote I believe from the BC coach at the time that "Silsbee should put up curtains and charge for people to see the McArthur show."

[quote name="bball101" post="744239" timestamp="1263568178"]
[quote author=DogOne link=topic=47993.msg742509#msg742509 date=1263270708]
Weaver Ned. '83
[/quote]

[/quote]
second to him has to be George DeVries..
15 letters out of 16 tries
all four years in track
all four years in basketball
all four years in baseball
three in football
won state as runnning back for nederland in '57
and went pro in baseball
[/quote]

Wow!  I Knew Mr. Devries was a good athlete but didn't know how good. 

[quote name="texasbasketballfan" post="743690" timestamp="1263453050"]
WHS alum where is ur list for the warriors?
[/quote]Warren doesn't have a rich basketball history as of late but they used to put some really god teams on the floor.If I had to make a list it would have a lot of old schoolers on it:
1-The Whites-Reuben,Daniel,Wayne and Jessie.Throw in a couple of sisters and they beat most teams.
2-Jessie and James Wolf.Two great high school players who went on to the NFL.
3-Jimmy Rawls-He played in the late 60's I believe and could score 50 on any given night.
4-Johnathan McNeal-Big guy with a soft shot who could fill it up.
5-Jacob Terrell-Great player on a average club.
6-Jerrod Walles-Spent more time on baseball/football but was the real deal.
7-Alan Danos-Didn't play but 1 year but was the piece that made Warren go.
8-Paul Sims-Shot over 80% from the FT line and over 40% from behind the arc for his career.
9-Fred Dunham-PG-Could single handidly beat the press.

These guys are not intended to be in any particular order but if I had to pick 1 as the best it would we Reuben White.This guy cut 4 fingers severely on his right hand in an ag shop accident and learned to play lefthanded and never missed a beat.

thanks 4 the love texasbasketballfan! i only played with one of those players on that list paul sims he was a really good player he def belongs on the list i saw a couple of the other ones play and they were good. i know that i could play with any body on the list but they must have done something i couldnt do 4 them 2 be on the list so they were prob pretty good!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ProfessorMandela12
    Newest Member
    ProfessorMandela12