school

3A-CC-Coach

LC-M Uncertain of Reopening

Special to The Leader

The Orange Leader

Reports indicate that the restoration of power may take three to six weeks. Power must be restored and necessary repairs made in order for school to reopen. Depending on individual situations, parents may want to enroll their children in another school district until LCM reopens. In the meantime, students should continue to study and practice skills, as appropriate.

The following two links provide grade-specific information that will help students stay focused on the objectives that will be addressed when class resumes. The first link leads to interactive study guides that will allow students to practice on line.

This is the hidden content, please

We love and value our students and staff and hope to see each one back at LCM soon.

BC's Dr. Harrison said "the plan is to start school in about three weeks"

OC school districts report minor damages

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

Students had not been in school too long before Hurricane Ike blew through Orange County.

Now students might have a little bit of an unwanted vacation as school districts work to get campuses back into operational form after flood waters made life difficult in a lot of areas of Orange County.

West Orange-Cove Consolidated ISD suffered damage yet Superintendent Dr. Taylor O. Collins hopes to have schools open as soon as possible.

“Our greatest damage came at the North Early Learning Center,†Collins said. “That campus is flooded. All in all across the district, the damage was not as extensive as with Hurricane Rita. Our major concern is our students and their families and with our teachers. Flooding is now the issue rather than winds with Rita. I want to get us up and running as soon as possible.â€

Collins reported no major damage at Anderson, the middle school, Oates Elementary and at West Orange-Stark High School.

A car building at the middle school did receive some minor damage after a sky light blew off.

“The best place for kids to be after returning is at school,†Collins said. “We can feed them there and take care of them. That is why I want to get us back up ASAP. This might take a little longer because I believe people are going to start coming back a little slower than after Rita. Generators and food are on stand by and ready to come in when I make the call. We are going to be operational and take care of our people. We are a Mustang family and we take care of one another.â€

Collins wanted to assure pre-school families that students will be moved to other campuses when schools reopen so there is no worry on that end.

Bridge City Athletic Director Cris Stump said he is yet to officially talk with Superintendent Dr. Jamie Harrison but has received text messages and voicemails.

“What Dr. Harrison said was for the plan to start school in about three weeks,†Stump said. “We had people get back and our schools are bad but not as bad as after Rita. We have crews there and we are in the clean up process. Our schools are trying to get back to normal as soon as we can.â€

Stump said athletic directors will more than likely have a district meeting to decide on what to do with the volleyball and football seasons.

“Volleyball district season starts next week so something will need to be decided,†Stump said.

Orangefield Superintendent Phillip Welch reported no major damages to Orangefield schools and while the district was mostly unharmed, his personnel is ready to help others.

“I know there is a possibility some teachers at Sims Elementary in Bridge City lost some supplies,†Welch said. “I will be emailing our teachers and try to find materials to get to Bridge City. We also may have extra furniture for those who need it. We are going to do what we can to help Bridge City and West Orange.â€

Welch reported minor damages at several Orangefield locations. The scoreboard on the softball field had a part removed, rooftop AC units moved around at the middle school and the tennis court had minor damages.

“We will try to assess our staff and when they may be able to get back into town once we get power,†Welch said. “So many on our staff live in Bridge City and in Orange. A lot of people have lost their homes. It could be tough.â€

LC-MISD sent out an email Monday confirming school could be out for several weeks as campuses await power.

“Reports indicate that the restoration of power may take three to six weeks,†the email stated. “Power must be restored and necessary repairs made in order for school to reopen. Depending on individual situations, parents may want to enroll their children in another school district until LCM reopens. In the meantime, students should continue to study and practice skills, as appropriate.

“The following two links provide grade-specific information that will help students stay focused on the objectives that will be addressed when class resumes. The first link leads to interactive study guides that will allow students to practice on line.

or
We love and value our students and staff and hope to see each one back at LCM soon.â€

A later press release reported all available Little Cypress-Mauriceville faculty and staff should report to their designated workplace on Friday, September 19 at 8:00 a.m. to prepare for the reopening of classes. Administrative staff meeting will be held at 8:00 a.m. in the Board Room. The exact date of reopening of schools will be determined in the near future.

**Updated Schedules for School Closures**

Hurricane Ike School Schedules

By The Enterprise

The following is an update on school closures:

School district*time closed*website

Anahuac ISD *At least one month*

Beaumont ISD *At least through Friday*

Bridge City ISD *Three to four weeks*

Buna ISD *Indefinitely*

Deweyville ISD *Likely through Friday

Hamshire-Fannett ISD *At least through Friday*

Hardin-Jefferson ISD *At least through Friday*

Jasper ISD *Could reopen Wednesday*

Kirbyville ISD *Could reopen Wednesday*

Kountze ISD *At least through Tuesday, further closings depend on power* 

Little Cypress-Mauriceville ISD *At least through Friday*

Lumberton ISD *Indefinitely*

Nederland ISD *Indefinitely*

Newton ISD* At least through Friday*

Orangefield ISD* At least through Friday*

Port Arthur ISD *Indefinitely* www.paisd.org

Port Neches-Groves ISD *Indefinitely*

Sabine Pass ISD *Indefinitely*

Silsbee ISD *Two to four weeks*

Vidor ISD *Indefinitely*

West Orange-Cove CISD *Indefinitely*

BISD has tentatively set their start date for Sept. 29th, with staff coming back early.  If the city does not lift the mandatory evacuation soon, us teachers are not going to have the opportunity to address the damage to our houses before we have to go back to work.  I've been told I should not expect power back at my house until October 6th, so I'm not particularly looking forward to having to live in the dark for a week and a half because i have to be back at work.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder