Fema information

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think you misunderstood me, i was saying everyone ive spoken with including myself is running into the problem of exceeding the income maximums. i thought being this was considered an "emergency" situation that the income maximums would be waived and the only requirements would be if you lived in a county that was considered to be a disaster.

I applied for the emegency foodstamps and received them. However, my sister did not. Reason given was too much income. Actually it was her $ savings that caused her to be denied. The state worker told me that of the 8 people that she had seen today, 2 had been denied based on income. SHe told me that "emergency" meant that they would give you an interview without waiting several weeks. During Rita my family was eligible for $600 for three months, but this time it was only $240 for two months. I am thankful for any assistance that I have gotten since so many seem to have been denied. Evacuating is very costly!!!!!

My take on this...If you pay your taxes, you should get what is offered...If you don't pay your taxes, start paying them so you can receive this help.  This is what is so screwed up with our system... The people that pay to have this money end up not being eligible even though they are the reason there is money there to give out... >:(

Guys I have an idea. We can send a few more billion dollars for "foreign aid". That should take care of the help we have been getting from our government...

I appreciate every church, electrician, lineman, volunteer that is here helping, and I'm lucky in the sense that were self sufficient at this point, however so many people got it worse than us and fema can't help you'll because the government hasn't given them enough of our tax dollars....maybe if we saved a little more for our own people instead of sending it all overseas conditions would be a little better for folks in orange, bridge city, galveston, and Port Bolivar...I don't know if everyone realizes how many people live from high island to galveston but none of them have houses at this point.

For those of you tired of recordings.... here are some numbers for the regional FEMA offices for texas/louisianna...

The guy I talked to several minutes ago knows what is going on... they will try and direct you to the website/hotline, but be persistant and your questions will be answered...

Telephone Numbers:

Main Number: 1 (940) 898-5399

Congressional Inquiries: 1 (940) 898-5104

Media Inquiries: 1 (940) 898-5104

called the main number, the guy who answered flatly refused to answer questions and referred me to a 800#.  I called this number only to find that it is no longer working

Guest gladiator2

I was called by FEMA  and was told that my hotel expenses would be covered, but I am staying in Dallas at a hotel that does not accept FEMA. I recieved a call from a FEMA inspector and wanted to inspect my house but I was not home. He told me to keep all of my reciepts and when he came to my house, he would go over them and FEMA would reimburse me for all of my expense including clothes,food,hotels,prescription medication, and gasoline. They went to my brother-n-laws house this morning and he told them that he did not want any help fixing house because his insurance would cover it,so he documented his expenses and told him that the money would be put into his account.He asked if he bought agenerator and chainsaw and he told him that he already had both. He said that they would pay a certain amount if he didn't already have one. This is about as good as I believe you can get and to me it is just like Rita but you have to show reciepts which I think is a good thing. He was not questioned about his income and he works for one of the local refineries. I hope it works out for everyone else. I thought they responded very quick to inspect our homes. I registered Sunday and they called me Tuesday and was ready to be at my house Thursday. Good luck to everyone!!!

Guest gladiator2

I don't want this to come out wrong, but everyone had a choice to leave and a way to go. Those who stayed chose to for various reasons. I am one that chose to leave, I have left twice (rita and ike). I watch the weather and radar very closely when a storm is predicted to come our way and with a hurricane the size of Ike, I knew that it was time to go. When I was getting gas and seeing people loading up on liquor with their kid's and talking about having a real hurricane party and was just getting ready to have a good time. The police and city officials went through our neighborhood urging us to leave and if we didn't what could happen and now people are blaming the system. The news said that if you chose to stay you need to be self sustainable for up to 10 days, I believe it has been 8 days. People can't blame money because they had buses headed to shelters, I know that most people did not want to hurt their pride and now are feeling the effects. People still have not been told to go home and stay and that's what a lot are doing and some are suffering. I am not saying this to be rude but everyone had a choice. I am with you about we need a change but the next president can't make people leave!! I have a lot of friends and family who lost everything and may god be with them and everyone else!! God bless everyone.

I don't want this to come out wrong, but everyone had a choice to leave and a way to go. Those who stayed chose to for various reasons. I am one that chose to leave, I have left twice (rita and ike). I watch the weather and radar very closely when a storm is predicted to come our way and with a hurricane the size of Ike, I knew that it was time to go. When I was getting gas and seeing people loading up on liquor with their kid's and talking about having a real hurricane party and was just getting ready to have a good time. The police and city officials went through our neighborhood urging us to leave and if we didn't what could happen and now people are blaming the system. The news said that if you chose to stay you need to be self sustainable for up to 10 days, I believe it has been 8 days. People can't blame money because they had buses headed to shelters, I know that most people did not want to hurt their pride and now are feeling the effects. People still have not been told to go home and stay and that's what a lot are doing and some are suffering. I am not saying this to be rude but everyone had a choice. I am with you about we need a change but the next president can't make people leave!! I have a lot of friends and family who lost everything and may god be with them and everyone else!! God bless everyone.

So you don't think we should be getting more and sending less overseas? (I do agree those who didn't leave had a choice no doubt.)

I wonder if any watched the news on Friday morning (9/12/08) when the news taped the elderly man on the walker who showed up 10 minutes late for the bus.  I did and was infuriated.  They showed an army guy loading water and MRE's into the man's car and then a "spokesman for state resources" was interviewed and said that the little man was late and that they were sending him home to "hunker-down".  He also said that the state resources were depleted and that anyone needing to evacuate now should not leave their homes because there was no way to get them out of town.  Within an hour, Mayor Prince was interviewed stating that anyone who needed/wanted to leave needed to  be at the Bob Bowers' center because PA district buses would get them out of town until it was no longer safe to run those buses.

This entire thing was a fiasco from get-go.  Officials are elected to have plans A, B, C, etc. in these types of situations and they simply didn't.  Not necessarily our local officials, but at the state/federal level. I have to disagree that everyone had the opportunity because this entire ordeal was not very well-organized, but at least Corpus Christi had plenty of resources.  BTW, I am curious as to the average income in CC compared to here...

What point are you trying to make with this post?

I think his post is the same as my thoghts....  Granted, the short timing made it difficult, but because of where we live, each house should have supplies ready for when something like this happens.  As adults, most of us have the ability to plan for ourselves and not insist that the government do it for us...

The bridge city area is a little different as is bolivar.  Citizens who stayed were told to have supplies for up to 10 days... It is not even 10 days yet, but people were already griping at FEMA 1 and 2 days after the storm... In times like this, individuals need to be able to rely on themselves rather than any governmental body... or they will be severly dissapointed.

I think his post is the same as my thoghts....  Granted, the short timing made it difficult, but because of where we live, each house should have supplies ready for when something like this happens.  As adults, most of us have the ability to plan for ourselves and not insist that the government do it for us...

The bridge city area is a little different as is bolivar.  Citizens who stayed were told to have supplies for up to 10 days... It is not even 10 days yet, but people were already griping at FEMA 1 and 2 days after the storm... In times like this, individuals need to be able to rely on themselves rather than any governmental body... or they will be severly dissapointed.

Yeah, I can understand that. Maybe 24x7 just has rough wording.

If the officials said to have 10 days of supplies and you would be on your own if you stay and then told the people not to come back, then it is their fault. I am forced to stay due to work but we know that FEMA (or anyone else) is not going to be there for probably 3 days just to get us some relief in the form of food and water. We have provisions for food, water and housing for several days after a storm. If anyone wants to stay, they should expect the same.

Anyone that thinks FEMA is going to be (or even should be) camped out on their doorstep a couple of days after a storm is being ridiculous. Put that way, I can see the point.

Bridge City area and Bolivar are different.  Before the storm the big question was the levees in Port Arthur.  I wonder how many over there stayed and got lucky. 

I think his post is the same as my thoghts....  Granted, the short timing made it difficult, but because of where we live, each house should have supplies ready for when something like this happens.  As adults, most of us have the ability to plan for ourselves and not insist that the government do it for us...

The bridge city area is a little different as is bolivar.  Citizens who stayed were told to have supplies for up to 10 days... It is not even 10 days yet, but people were already griping at FEMA 1 and 2 days after the storm... In times like this, individuals need to be able to rely on themselves rather than any governmental body... or they will be severly dissapointed.

Bridge City area and Bolivar are different.  Before the storm the big question was the levees in Port Arthur.  I wonder how many over there stayed and got lucky. 

Was it worth the risk though? I don't think so but maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah, I can understand that. Maybe 24x7 just has rough wording.

If the officials said to have 10 days of supplies and you would be on your own if you stay and then told the people not to come back, then it is their fault. I am forced to stay due to work but we know that FEMA (or anyone else) is not going to be there for probably 3 days just to get us some relief in the form of food and water. We have provisions for food, water and housing for several days after a storm. If anyone wants to stay, they should expect the same.

Anyone that thinks FEMA is going to be (or even should be) camped out on their doorstep a couple of days after a storm is being ridiculous. Put that way, I can see the point.

Put that way, I see the point and I agree. I was one who stayed, and as they warned, was prepared for the 10 days with no help. We were fully self sufficient. I think most are concerned with the expenses incurred, whether they stayed or left, that cannot be avoided. Those who left incurred hotel and food expenses. I incurred gas expenses for my generators. My wife is out of work now because of it which has nothing to do with staying or going. My point is that, just because I stayed should not negate me from any recovery available. Their are expenses incurred either way.

It now is looking like no one is going to recover anything... ::)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder