Fema information

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got thru twice today and was told we werent eligible for assistance! i ask about the 2k and if they were gonna cover rooms for evacuees and they said no! does anyone have solid info if this is actually gonna happen???

We went to fema.gov and filled out all of the information.  Checked back a few hours later and it said that we were denied because we had appropriate house/flood insurance.  Sorta baffled on that one........I tried calling but, it just said that all reps. were busy and it would hang up.  I'm not sure if they know the seriousness of the situation just yet?

I recieved the same info. on the FEMA crap, they are not giving the 2K out. They said an inspector would have to come out and visually look at my house, but only after we make an insurance claim. ??? ???  I said heck lady I cant get to my house! Where's the love!!!!

Maybe the inspector can go out and then let us know when it is Ok to go home!  On a serious note, I thought that the $2000 was supposed to be for assistance like food, clothing, shelter, etc.....I'm with....Where is the love?

They're probably watching and concentrating on where the news casts are looking...the high rises in downtown Houston that has curtains and blinds flapping in the wind.  I got the same information.  Also, I asked the woman I spoke with about hotel assistance and she said that there were no programs currently in place.  Asked how to find out about them when/if they came into place and she stated to call the fema number again.  Also, she suggested watching the news, but still calling to see if there was truth to it or if it was a rumor.  You have to live outside of the US and go through a disaster to get immediate relief from the US.

Plus, by the time you go through the whole insurance thing, Hurricane season of 2010 (if you are lucky) or 2011 (most probable) will be in full effect.  Where is the headquarters for fema?  We could all go up there when we run out of money and camp out at their offices. ::)

I applied with FEMA, got an ID number.  Also made application for hotel assistance, but no answer.  After going thru the FEMA app online, I got a message that said I didn't qualify for assistance and I'm a homeowner.  They were very particular about all the gross income in your house, insurance info, etc.  I know they have to be careful this time, because so many people abused the privaledge last time with Rita.  I made application with the hotel thru FEMA, but no word yet.  If we are out for 3 to 5 weeks, this is definitely going to make a dent in the budget.  FEMA did say they would not allocate money until my property was inspected.  I can't even get home to see what the damage is.  Guess I'll just have to wait.  If anyone hears when the county is allowing folks to go back in to inspect their property, please post so I can know.  I'm praying for everyone in our area.  I live in Groves, and have heard there is minimal damage there, but no confirmation as yet.  Take Care!

just talked to fema again and got a rude azz lady, she said that there would be no assistance until we tell them what the damage was! she also told me "look at houston, they said there wouldnt be electricity and now they have it!" i proceeded to tell her "we have more than broken window where im from!"  i got nowhere with her and eventually got hung up on.  there is no help...

Guest Demons Co-owner

This is starting to really piss me off! All I want is reinbursment for my hotel exspenses and thats it, but like everyone else I was denied. Does anyone know when the cerfews will be lifted so we "can go back and inspect our damage"?

Coop, I didn't know you were a liberal...... hahaha

Not to sound harsh..... but.....for homeowners....

First, we live in a hurricane prone area....

1. Most of us chose to live here.

2. We can choose to have adequate insurance..(flood, homeowners, windstorm, etc.)

3.  The government can only do so much.

4.  most personal insurance carries a "loss of use" provision which will cover hotel, etc...  check your policy.

** While I hate not recieving free money, I am at least glad that FEMA is not just giving money away with out asking any questions...

Hawk,

I do think that is a bit harsh in this situation. Most of us grew up in this area. Yes, we choose to live here but we don't deserve it because we choose to live here. Not all people are homeowners. Renters do not have the insurance luxuries as do the homeowners. I don't think anyone is just asking for "free money." Nothing is ever free. We may be given assistance but the price is destruction and devastation. We are only asking for FEMA help to cover hotels. We are fine with no other assistance, just want them to do their job. They are a Federal EMERGENCY agency. We also do ALL pay taxes. Be thankful it appears that the HJ area had minimal damage. We are from BC where there are dead bodies found floating. My mother and granfather's homes are up to rooves with water as most people there. We have structural damage as well as emotional damage. I don't think that asking a little positivity right now is a lot to ask of everyone spared.

I agree with your statement....

Orange County residents should be taken care of immediately!  (no questions asked..)

What i was talking about was all the people who are inconvienced... The gov't shouldn't have to pay because people are inconvienced...

**THe orange county situation (as well as those who live on Bolivar) is a different story.  Our prayers are with you guys...  when we are allowed to come back, I will be one of the first to come and help do what I can...

-Mike

Orange County residents should be taken care of immediately!  (no questions asked..)

What i was talking about was all the people who are inconvienced... The gov't shouldn't have to pay because people are inconvienced...

**THe orange county situation (as well as those who live on Bolivar) is a different story.  Our prayers are with you guys...  when we are allowed to come back, I will be one of the first to come and help do what I can...

-Mike

Thanks Mike- I apologize if I came off rude, the stress level is through whats left of the roof.

This is the hidden content, please

FEMA Boss says "You will be reimbursed for your hotel"!   He didnt' say MIGHT!

8)

Regardless of what Chertoff said, I would think that eligibility is predicated on your income, insurance coverage, and the amount of damage you suffered, since they ask for that information when you register.   

This is the hidden content, please

FEMA Boss says "You will be reimbursed for your hotel"!   He didnt' say MIGHT!

What about those who are still behind? I'm living off 2 generators. I'm spending as much in gas every day as a motel would cost. Also, my wife is a nurse and her patients who live in assisted living complexes are not here and when they aren't here she does not work. When she does work she pays her taxes just like we all do. When something like this occurs we SHOULD be able to recover the FEMA money. That's why we live and pay for this country. I DO NOT consider it "free money". I consider it the country stepping up to the plate in our time of need just like we do every tax season. Surely, FEMA is not going to screw those of us who are living off generators!

What about the Red Cross? They had some funds available for living expenses as well. Anyone know about that?

-Mike

Don't forget Sabine Pass they had 14 feet of surge

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder