*HURRICANE IKE AFTERMATH AND COMMENTS*

KFDM COOP

Are any of you seeing all the people standing behind Cantore every time they go live to Galveston waving at the camera to get on TV! Why aren't they getting the heck out of there!

It's a little odd that more people here are more worked up about this than people in Galveston...

Thats cause we took a direct hit from Rita. We are a little gun shy!

I imagine if (Lord forbid) they take a direct hit, they will be the same way the next few years.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally would not want to be the mayor of any town in the Golden T, galveston or houston. changes inside the local gov will be pending if this thing hits any between near galveston to the louisiana border.

Yeah, I noticed the state of LA got themselves a new governor since Katrina, too! Funny how those things seem to happen.

Voluntary evacuation set for 6 a.m.

Debby Schamber

The Orange Leader

A hurricane watch was issued Wednesday by the National Hurricane Center which stretches from Cameron, La. to Padre Island.

However, officials predict Hurricane Ike to make landfall about 5 a.m. near Port Lavaca as a Category 4 hurricane. Residents of the area could see a storm surge of up to 30 feet.

Orange County officials called for a voluntary evacuation for 6 a.m. Thursday for the county.

“Orange County citizens who decide to leave on their own are asked to travel the recommended evacuation routes,†a press release said. “The National Weather Service advises that we can anticipate tropical storm force winds on Friday and Category 1 hurricane force winds on Saturday.â€

For more information residents are urged to see www.setinfo.org and www.co.orange.tx.us.

After making landfall the storm is expected to move along the coast in a northwesterly pattern.

Orange County Emergency Management officials are continuing to monitor the hurricane. Based on the current track and predictions provided by the NWS, there are no planned evacuations for the region.

“The deadline is (Thursday) morning to order an evacuation,†Carl Thibodeaux, Orange County Judge/Regional Commander, said early Wednesday evening. “All we can do now is sit and wait.â€

Thibodeaux added there are still some special needs evacuees who still have not returned form the Hurricane Gustav evacuation because they are too ill to travel.

If an evacuation is ordered, about 84,000 Orange County residents and more 250,000 Jefferson County residents could be filling up the roadways as they try to escape the wrath of Ike.

As of press time Tuesday the storm was traveling at 8 mph, but it is expected to accelerate to 14 mph before it slows to 11 mph as it reaches the coastline, according to Jim Sweeney, forecaster for the National Weather Service.

Residents of Orange County could see the effects of the hurricane as soon as 9 a.m. Friday with tropical storm force winds reaching up to 40 mph. They are expected to increase as the day progresses to 58 mph, Sweeney said.

Additionally, since the hurricane will make landfall near the time of high tide at 3:41 a.m. there is a possibility of along the saltwater waterways there will be up to 8 1/2 feet of water in some areas of Orange County, he added.

Some areas especially prone to the effects of the high tide are near the Sabine River and Adams Bayou. Residents who live in the flood prone area south of Interstate 10 are advised to expect rising water in the Sabine River and its tributaries.

The city of Orange will provide sandbags to people who reside with the city limits. They will be available from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Thursday and 7 a.m. until noon Friday at the Polk Street service center.

A strong upper level ridge is keeping Ike away from Orange County.

“Without it the storm would be coming directly here,†Sweeney said. But, he added, “Unfortunately, we are looking for a turn beginning at 1 p.m. Friday to a more northwesterly path.â€

On Wednesday, President Bush announced an emergency declaration for the state of Texas and ordered federal aid to supplement state and local response efforts due to the emergency conditions resulting from Hurricane Ike beginning on September 7, 2008, and continuing.

The President's action authorizes the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), to coordinate all disaster relief efforts which have the purpose of alleviating the hardship and suffering caused by the emergency on the local population, and to provide appropriate assistance for required emergency measures, authorized under Title V of the Stafford Act, to save lives, protect property and public health and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a catastrophe in the counties of Aransas, Brazoria, Brooks, Calhoun, Cameron, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Hardin, Harris, Hidalgo, Jackson, Jefferson, Jim Wells, Kenedy, Kleberg, Liberty, Matagorda, Nueces, Orange, Refugio, San Patricio, Victoria, Wharton, and Willacy, according to the Harris County Homeland Security & Emergency Management.

Ok  ive been sitting here reading all this and it pisses me off. if u want to leave then leave. 99% of yall have no idea what is involed in a mandated evac. the decisions that our officials make are from the government not the weather  chanl who wants to sell advertising. everyone needs to chill. they will make the best decision by the situation. if yall had any clue what  r local officials go through yall would keep yalls mouth shut.

MANDATORY EVACUATION NOON THURSDAY!!!!!!

Just heard this and they will also be having another meeting at 2am!!!!

This is the info that I just received!!!

Well FINALLY!!! Somebody bent over and pulled their head out of their.........never mind!

Don't count your chickens.

Ok   ive been sitting here reading all this and it pisses me off. if u want to leave then leave. 99% of yall have no idea what is involed in a mandated evac. the decisions that our officials make are from the government not the weather  chanl who wants to sell advertising. everyone needs to chill. they will make the best decision by the situation. if yall had any clue what  r local officials go through yall would keep yalls mouth shut.

What he said.

If anyone thinks they need to leave, then they need to leave. If the schools aren't closed now, nothing says they will not be eventually. If they never do, then that's a good thing, isn't it? If your child gets an unexcused absence, well, there are surely worse things that can happen. I am certain they will not be beaten for it. As for your job, call and tell your boss you don't feel good about it and ask him if it's ok to go. If he says no then take vacation, if they won't let you do that then call in sick. If all that fails then send your family without you.

I'm not leaving, but if I thought I should, I sure as heck wouldn't leave the safety of my family to someone I don't even know. Ultimately, we are the ones responsible for our own. I'm not going to put my family in harms way waiting on someone else. I think we rely way to much on our elected officials, we need to take control of our own destiny. So, if you feel you need to go, then go. Don't wait and then blame it on someone else.

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, i just really feel that, you guys who have a bad feeling, need to get. Take care of your families because that is what's really important here.

If anyone thinks they need to leave, then they need to leave. If the schools aren't closed now, nothing says they will not be eventually. If they never do, then that's a good thing, isn't it? If your child gets an unexcused absence, well, there are surely worse things that can happen. I am certain they will not be beaten for it. As for your job, call and tell your boss you don't feel good about it and ask him if it's ok to go. If he says no then take vacation, if they won't let you do that then call in sick. If all that fails then send your family without you.

I'm not leaving, but if I thought I should, I sure as heck wouldn't leave the safety of my family to someone I don't even know. Ultimately, we are the ones responsible for our own. I'm not going to put my family in harms way waiting on someone else. I think we rely way to much on our elected officials, we need to take control of our own destiny. So, if you feel you need to go, then go. Don't wait and then blame it on someone else.

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, i just really feel that, you guys who have a bad feeling, need to get. Take care of your families because that is what's really important here.

Good points and very well said!

HURRICANE IKE DISCUSSION NUMBER  39

NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL  AL092008

500 PM EDT WED SEP 10 2008

THE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT DATA SHOW THAT IKE HAS TWO WELL-DEFINED

WIND MAXIMA OF ROUGHLY EQUAL STRENGTH.  THE PEAK FLIGHT-LEVEL WINDS

OF 93 KT WERE FOUND IN A BAND ABOUT 90 NM EAST OF THE CENTER.  A

DROPSONDE WITHIN A FEW MILES OF THE CENTER REPORTED LOW-LAYER MEAN

WINDS OF 97 KT...WHICH CORRESPOND TO 82 KT AT THE SURFACE.  THE

ADVISORY WINDS ARE SET TO 85 KT ON THIS BASIS.  THE LARGE EXPANSE

OF HURRICANE AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXPLAINS THE APPARENT

MISMATCH BETWEEN THE PEAK WINDS AND THE CENTRAL PRESSURE.

CONDITIONS IN THE GULF OF MEXICO REMAIN FAVORABLE FOR

STRENGTHENING...INCLUDING LIGHT SHEAR AND STRONGLY DIFLUENT

UPPER-LEVEL OUTFLOW FOR THE NEXT DAY OR TWO.  ON THE OTHER

HAND...RECENT NORTHWARD SHIFTS IN THE TRACK NOW SUGGEST THAT IKE

MAY ENCOUNTER A COOL EDDY IN THE CENTRAL GULF AND MISS A WARM EDDY.

NEVERTHELESS...ALL OBJECTIVE GUIDANCE NOW MAKES IKE A MAJOR

HURRICANE AND THE OFFICIAL FORECAST IS INCREASED SLIGHTLY OVER THE

PREVIOUS FORECAST.  OTHER THAN INTERNAL EYEWALL DYNAMICS...WHICH

ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO FORECAST MORE THAN A FEW HOURS IN ADVANCE...I SEE

NO REASON WHY IKE SHOULD WEAKEN APPRECIABLY AS IT MOVES INTO THE

WESTERN GULF.

THE INITIAL MOTION IS 310/7.  THE TRACK FORECAST PHILOSOPHY IS

BASICALLY UNCHANGED.  IKE IS MOVING NORTHWEST TOWARD A WEAKNESS IN

THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE.  THIS RIDGE IS FORECAST TO BUILD IN OVER THE

NEXT DAY OR TWO...WHICH SHOULD TURN THE TRACK BACK TO THE

WEST-NORTHWEST UNTIL IKE APPROACHES A DEEP LAYER TROUGH FORECAST TO

COVER THE WESTERN UNITED STATES IN TWO DAYS.  ALL GUIDANCE TURNS