Liberty VS Dayton

Guest KHS 89

7mary3,

Last I heard it was the Dayton's team that had to kick 5 players off the team due to felony act - not Liberty's.

No doubt that Dayton is a quality program and Liberty is in rebuilding mode - but don't ever say never - you might just have to eat those word sometime.

And I have been a close follower of Liberty's program for years and do not recall Liberty ever taking a Dayton reject - espically a problem child.  As far as going to the "pen" I personally do not know of any from Liberty but do know of 1 from Dayton

You totally missed that post.  I said Dayton has 5 available players not Liberty.  AND YES, Liberty has taken several of Daytons rejects, very good athletes i should say that turned out to be felons, and thats a FACT, whether or not they graduated I have no idea but i know where they are now and what they did.

I have wondered this myself and in talking to a lot of players, coaches and fans this is my thinking on the matter:

No Doubt recently - last 2 - 3 years Dayton has a distinct advantage over Liberty and the games would likely have been very lopsided.  However, before that time both Liberty and Dayton had good teams and would have been a good game to go watch - and I think very competitive.  The year Liberty was 10 - 0 I really would have liked to have seen this game - I think would have been a great game (2003).

Liberty at this time does not want to play Dayton due to the difference in talent level - But do not think that Dayton really wants to play Liberty either - right now they would win fairly easily - but when (and it will happen) that the teams become closer in talent then IF Liberty were to play Dayton then Dayton is the only team with any risk - and what I mean is this: If Liberty loses then "well they were supposed to lose so really so what" but, if Liberty where to pull the upset Dayton then everyone will start saying "well whats wrong with Dayton if they cannot beat Liberty - a Smaller school". 

Personally I would like to see these two teams play - but would really like to see Liberty be able to step on the field with Dayton with either team having a chance to win.

Go Panthers  ;D

your right about that. I think the 2003 Liberty team would have proably beaten Dayton that year.

7mary3,

Last I heard it was the Dayton's team that had to kick 5 players off the team due to felony act - not Liberty's.

No doubt that Dayton is a quality program and Liberty is in rebuilding mode - but don't ever say never - you might just have to eat those word sometime.

And I have been a close follower of Liberty's program for years and do not recall Liberty ever taking a Dayton reject - espically a problem child.  As far as going to the "pen" I personally do not know of any from Liberty but do know of 1 from Dayton

Hate to remind you Oldtimer but there was a thug that played for Dayton and he went to Liberty and played QB within the last ten years. He came over to Huffman and showed his back side.

I do remember him but cant think of his name. He lasted 1 season. Cant think of any others though. Dayton does seem to have alot more discipline problems than Liberty does. At least as long as I remember and I went to school in Dayton myself.

I do remember him but cant think of his name. He lasted 1 season. Cant think of any others though. Dayton does seem to have alot more discipline problems than Liberty does. At least as long as I remember and I went to school in Dayton myself.

Hey we do and let me tell you we have some walking the halls over here that could be really good football players. We had one kid that is competing in that kickboxing stuff on a national basis. Never played a down of football and can take out any kid in Kingwood-Humble area. Every school has them and no one is immune as much as we would like to think.

I have wondered this myself and in talking to a lot of players, coaches and fans this is my thinking on the matter:

No Doubt recently - last 2 - 3 years Dayton has a distinct advantage over Liberty and the games would likely have been very lopsided.  However, before that time both Liberty and Dayton had good teams and would have been a good game to go watch - and I think very competitive.  The year Liberty was 10 - 0 I really would have liked to have seen this game - I think would have been a great game (2003).

Liberty at this time does not want to play Dayton due to the difference in talent level - But do not think that Dayton really wants to play Liberty either - right now they would win fairly easily - but when (and it will happen) that the teams become closer in talent then IF Liberty were to play Dayton then Dayton is the only team with any risk - and what I mean is this: If Liberty loses then "well they were supposed to lose so really so what" but, if Liberty where to pull the upset Dayton then everyone will start saying "well whats wrong with Dayton if they cannot beat Liberty - a Smaller school". 

Personally I would like to see these two teams play - but would really like to see Liberty be able to step on the field with Dayton with either team having a chance to win.

Go Panthers  ;D

your right about that. I think the 2003 Liberty team would have proably beaten Dayton that year.

2003, 2004, and 2005 all put together would get stomped

All Liberty did was widen the gap between them and Dayton.  They let the best thing they had going for them go in coach Jeff Stewart.  They wanted Jeff to fail, some of the higher ups.  Those with great VISION or who help correct vision, if you know what I mean.  We at Dayton are glad that Liberty is so smart, we now have Jeff and from what I heard he feels like he has died and gone to Heaven.

Texans---you are correct. It is not every day that the opportunity to acquire a coach with Jeff's knowledge and experience is to be had. The fact that he is a hometown man is just icing on the cake.  We are glad to have him!

Go Panthers  ;D

oh please that 2004 team got stomped by Nederland in the first round of the playoffs

Go Panthers  ;D

oh please that 2004 team got stomped by Nederland in the first round of the playoffs

What do you mean, "oh please" they would have not even let Liberty on to the field. If Nederland stomped us then ya'll might have been able to beat their drill team, maybe.  ::)

Go Panthers  ;D

What do you mean, "oh please" they would have not even let Liberty on to the field. If Nederland stomped us then ya'll might have been able to beat their drill team, maybe.  ::)

Wait a minute, didn't Liberty that year resort to their drill team for players? :D

1985 was the last time the two schools played each other. Two years later, 1987, was the last time Dayton played Barbers Hill. The latter will be rectified, or renewed, due to the district alignment including both teams.

30 years ago, the roles of Dayton and Liberty were reversed with Liberty being a 3-A school, back when there were only four classifications (A-AA-AAA-AAAA). The history of playing each other goes way, way back with Liberty holding a great advantage, but when "the worm" began to turn and Dayton became the population center of Liberty County, with the Panthers falling from AAAA to AAA and Dayton maintaining a "middle of the AAAA pack" in school population, Liberty no longer wanted Dayton on their schedule.

At the time, in '86 when the schedules were being done, the Liberty coach at that time (and I don't know who it was) basically said that when his team played Dayton they were absolutely no good the week before or the week after because they were so focused on Dayton.

Now, it's pretty much like is being bandied about - why would anyone want to play a team that, in all liklihood, would embarrass them.

However, and here is a strand of hope, new head coach Shane Deel has said to give them a couple of years to get their ship in order and they could schedule Dayton. So, will we see a renewal of rivalry in 2010, or will it be 2012? Who knows, but if some of us are going to live to see it, somebody better get on the stick.

Sorry Mike, but you are incorrect! Dayton and Liberty went on to play one another for 4 seasons after 1985. The final Dayton vs. Liberty contest took place in 1989. The Broncos won three of those four contests. Not sure where you got that info, but I can give you what I have.

Yeah, it was hurrying. I was thinking 85 - 87 rather than 87-89. I was thinking we quit playing Barbers Hill in 87 and Liberty in 85. The '87 was correct. That was the last year we played BH, but it was two years later after Dayton stayed in 4A and Liberty fell to 3A the two teams quit playing.

Which means that if they schedule games for the next realignment period, and play again in 2010, in will have been 20 years since they have played, and just like a bowl full of Auxtex Chili, THAT'S TOO LONG.

Go Panthers  ;D

Wait a minute, didn't Liberty that year resort to their drill team for players? :D

actually Liberty ending up winning the District Title, Won the Bi-District round of the playoffs, and losing to State runner-up Jasper in the area round.

Don't know if the panthers are quite ready for this step yet.....only time will tell.  I will tell you one thing though Dayton......You got one heck of a QB in Cody Green.  Not only is he a great athlete, he is an even better young man. He is polite, has great manners, and he pays attention to future Broncos wherever he is.  It's great to see a young man act like this.  Good luck to you guys this year!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    hulmeyolmu
    Newest Member
    hulmeyolmu