THANK YOU COACHES!!!

With all the negativity toward coaches on this message board as of late, I thought I would try to turn the tide a little.  I just want to take an opportunity to thank all the coaches around this area for the job they do.  Coaches are overworked and underpaid for the influence they have on young men and women's lives.  I have been blessed to have had very good coaches in my life and even more blessed that my children had great coaches in their lives.  It is amazing to me how much good these people do and how it always seems to be overlooked.  Heck, these people spend more time raising other people's children than they often do their own.  They spend many many months out of the year taking other people's children home from practice or games instead of picking up their own children from school or whatever may be happening at the time.  They are mentally and physically drained with nights lasting into the wee hours of the next day only to get a few hours of sleep and get up and do it all again.  They wait up at the school with "little Johnny" for however long it takes for "little Johnny's" ride to show up even if it is hours after they have returned from a trip.  These coaches receive stipends for the tons of hours they put in that add up to less than $1 per hour for the work they do outside of the classroom.  Why do they do it?  It is not for the money and it is not for the fame (as you can see the type of recognition they have received here lately ::)).  It is for the self satisfaction of knowing that they can make a positive difference in a child's life.  It is for knowing that they may be the one person that a child can depend on to be there for them.  It is for the phone call they get 20 years later from a former player that says "coach, I am successful because of the lessons you taught me".

Coaches deserved to be respected and looked upon by our society as men and women who shape children's lives and lots of times at the expense of their own families.

It is a shame to think that a coach or their reputation could be attacked because one or several people disagree menial issues like playing time or a play that was drawn up or a philosophy about style of play.  It is absurd to think that any outsider feels justified in attacking men and women who sacrifice their own family time to spend quality hours with other people's children.

Try to remember these things next time you rush to judge a coach who you think is "doing it wrong".

Guest stevenash

Good post informer.  Then, after they spend all of the hours you mentioned with someone else's kid, they have to go home and raise their own children as well.

Thank you Informer for those very nice words.  As a coach, I know I certainly appreciate it.  I have been doing this for 30 years and I have had a wonderful ride........thanks to being able to be a part of some wonderful kids' lives.  You are right, we are not in it for the money or fame, just to say I have had the opportunity to possibly make a difference in one childs life is all the reward I need.  Thanks again for putting things into perspective.

Coaching is OVER-RATED.....Think about it...When is the last time one of your fav. coaches hit a free-throw , to tie things up. got a rebound and actually boxed somebody out, had a sweet no-look for an easy deuce, or actually stepped in and took a charge...Players baby and you have to hav em...If you don't you probablly, well______. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ________.  I'm headed to the AAU circuit to find a few players who can actually play both ends of the floor, who show up every day ready to play, who put in extra time by themselves, who can actually lead a team to a few W's , who realize that it's only AAU and there are no promises, and that the best thing right now is that they still have elgibility at the high school level and get to play for the school they have been geared to [play for ,for the last ten years....    And if the coach yells at them, by gosh it makes them play harder and does not make them pout and want mama...Because if you have to do alot of COACHING.....you might not have any players..BUT on the other hand if you do a little recruiting...well then it's not over-rated!!!

In addition to winning state championships, Coach Sutherland drives the bus.

I am sure there are many Coaches that are great men but Coach Sutherland is at the top of my list. I use to go and watch Kountze bc like the way they played ball and Coach S was the man. He is a very nice man and have always been impressed in the manner conducted himself as a Coach. Thanks to all the Coaches that give your time for  our kids.

With all the negativity toward coaches on this message board as of late, I thought I would try to turn the tide a little.  I just want to take an opportunity to thank all the coaches around this area for the job they do.  Coaches are overworked and underpaid for the influence they have on young men and women's lives.  I have been blessed to have had very good coaches in my life and even more blessed that my children had great coaches in their lives.  It is amazing to me how much good these people do and how it always seems to be overlooked.  Heck, these people spend more time raising other people's children than they often do their own.  They spend many many months out of the year taking other people's children home from practice or games instead of picking up their own children from school or whatever may be happening at the time.  They are mentally and physically drained with nights lasting into the wee hours of the next day only to get a few hours of sleep and get up and do it all again.  They wait up at the school with "little Johnny" for however long it takes for "little Johnny's" ride to show up even if it is hours after they have returned from a trip.  These coaches receive stipends for the tons of hours they put in that add up to less than $1 per hour for the work they do outside of the classroom.  Why do they do it?  It is not for the money and it is not for the fame (as you can see the type of recognition they have received here lately ::)).  It is for the self satisfaction of knowing that they can make a positive difference in a child's life.  It is for knowing that they may be the one person that a child can depend on to be there for them.  It is for the phone call they get 20 years later from a former player that says "coach, I am successful because of the lessons you taught me".

Coaches deserved to be respected and looked upon by our society as men and women who shape children's lives and lots of times at the expense of their own families.

It is a shame to think that a coach or their reputation could be attacked because one or several people disagree menial issues like playing time or a play that was drawn up or a philosophy about style of play.  It is absurd to think that any outsider feels justified in attacking men and women who sacrifice their own family time to spend quality hours with other people's children.

Try to remember these things next time you rush to judge a coach who you think is "doing it wrong".

I don't know you are (if you are coach or not), but you have spoken the truth and done it very well.  If you are a coach, then all I can say is THANK YOU because many times coaches are underrated.'

Some wise poster stated that "coaching is overrated"...while I don't believe that to be true, "coaching" and "being a coach" are two different things.  Sit in any stands and you will see many all-knowing fans "coaching"...they aren't coaches, they are simply attempting to coach.

Coaches are priceless.  That I speak from my own dealings with coaches and their impact on my three sons.  They are the positive male role model in their lives.  They don't do the things they do or take the time that they do for the money.  They do it because of their love of the game and usually their desire to make the difference in the life of a child.  Ironic thing is...they don't get the respect that they deserve and many times, that lack of respect comes from those stand-"coaches".

So, from this single parent to any and all coaches...thanks for being their and lending a hand!  Keep up the good work! ;)

Coaching is OVER-RATED.....Think about it...When is the last time one of your fav. coaches hit a free-throw , to tie things up. got a rebound and actually boxed somebody out, had a sweet no-look for an easy deuce, or actually stepped in and took a charge...Players baby and you have to hav em...If you don't you probablly, well______. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ________.  I'm headed to the AAU circuit to find a few players who can actually play both ends of the floor, who show up every day ready to play, who put in extra time by themselves, who can actually lead a team to a few W's , who realize that it's only AAU and there are no promises, and that the best thing right now is that they still have elgibility at the high school level and get to play for the school they have been geared to [play for ,for the last ten years....    And if the coach yells at them, by gosh it makes them play harder and does not make them pout and want mama...Because if you have to do alot of COACHING.....you might not have any players..BUT on the other hand if you do a little recruiting...well then it's not over-rated!!!

What?  Was anyone else confused by this post??

What?  Was anyone else confused by this post??

Dont worry Bobcat, your not alone.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder