21-3A Coach of the Year

Sometimes we take for granted the good coaching job that someone does because we expect year after year.  That does not make it right, I think Wrinkle has done a great job with a group of kids that no one really expected much out of this year except for those close to the program.  These kids spent their summer playing in Houston getting ready to play teams like HJ and Silsbee.  He has brought a philosophy to this team about what they need to do to win and when they have followed that they have won. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both HJ and Silsbee have tremendous coaches, but I'm going to go with OF's head coach for coach of the year.  Not only did he lead them shockingly into playoff contention, when it mattered most he found a way to beat Jasper twice in order to get into the playoffs. 

I'm from Orangefield and I think Sutherland should get it. 

He beat Jasper twice, Orangefield twice, and Silsbee twice. 

I'm from H-J and i appreciate that, when someone from a school that has a coach as good as theirs can say somethin like that wow

It all boils down to the fact that all three of these coaches are good choices for the award.  I chose Winkle because of the vast improvements OF has made this year.  HJ and Silsbee are where everyone expected them to be.  Although some people may have forseen OF's improvement, most of us are still a little surprised with just how much they've improved, and the fact that they're in the playoffs.  Hats off to all three coaches... no matter who you're pick, it's hard to say you're wrong.

I don't think it was the fact that Bobcat05 picked the HJ coach over the OF coach that upset oldtimer.  It seemed to me like a slap in the face to the OF coach because Bobcat05 copied another statement that praised the OF coach and then he stated that he was from OF and would choose the HJ coach.  Not that the HJ coach is a bad selection.  I think every SE Texas school would love to have him direct their program.  Do I think he would go to most SE Texas schools.  NO, but he does a great job where he is.

I agree 100% that HJ and Silsbee have more to work with.  Both have good coaching staffs.  OF has a good coach to, but to give him coach of the year for finishing third in a district that other than the 3 teams that made the playoffs is relatively weak.  Great job for OF and Coach Wrinkle but I just don't agree that a 3rd place team should have their coach win Coach of the Year for the district.  Who did they beat in the regular season that they were not suppose to beat besides Jasper?  No one!!!!!

So who did HJ and Silsbee beat that they weren't supposed to beat?  I think the reason that Coach Wrinkle is getting recognition for how competitive the bobcats were against those upper tier teams. 

Ha, that's not really a fair statement. Who else was there to beat?

Silsbee beat HJ

HJ beat Tyler Chapel Hill.. does that count?

Guest tigersvoice

So who did HJ and Silsbee beat that they weren't supposed to beat?  I think the reason that Coach Wrinkle is getting recognition for how competitive the bobcats were against those upper tier teams. 

Ha, that's not really a fair statement. Who else was there to beat?

Silsbee beat HJ

HJ beat Tyler Chapel Hill.. does that count?

It sounds like you guys have lost sight of what you were arguing about.

Oldtimer, I am not saying that is he a bad coach, and I went to the game when they beat Jasper the first time, and 2 of the Silsbee games once in the Orangefield tournament and when they beat us during district at home.

Someone said Orangefield didn't have a lot a talent.  I'm going to disagree with this.  They have more talent than the team that went to the playoffs in '05

Sutherland easily takes Coach of the Year.

His team has been consistly state ranked the whole year, he won district... I don't think Wrinkle is a bad coach, so before anyone runs to tell him what they thought I've said know that I think he did a good job, he just had 5 loses in district how can he get coach of the year?  Now when Orangefield wins district next year I think he should get it.  ;D

Guest Wildcat 08

I would give it to Wrinkle. Look what he has done with OF this year! Can you say most improved team this year!! Sutherland has good teams every year. Last i looked Orangefield was still playing to.

His team has been consistly state ranked the whole year, he won district... I don't think Wrinkle is a bad coach, so before anyone runs to tell him what they thought I've said know that I think he did a good job, he just had 5 loses in district how can he get coach of the year?  Now when Orangefield wins district next year I think he should get it.  ;D

Correction, he tied for district, he won the #1 seed. We Tigers got to hold on to something. ;D

Correction, he tied for district, he won the #1 seed. We Tigers got to hold on to something. ;D

yea a 22 point loss  :D :D :D :D

yea a 22 point loss  :D :D :D :D

touche'

I knew that was coming...... ;D

becuase someone got mad all becuase I congatulated one team but not the other...... ;D

Tried to stay out of this one but just can't.  If I would have asked you before we started the year who would win 21-3a I think most would agree that HJ would be the pick.  If I would have asked the same question about OF you probably would have laughed me off the court.  I agree that the record is what everyone is judged upon but what about this and I don't mean to get any HJ people fired up because I am not saying anything negative about you but what about when one of the best players in the district goes down like Burrell, they lose to Silsbee, almost lose to OF, Jasper plays close.  He comes back, they blow out everyone again.  So, is it coaching or a matter of having the most talent in the district?  So much of what we are debating comes down to the players that you have and more importantly what do you get out of them.  Sutherland, Williams, and Wrinkle are all good coaches and they get the most out of their talent, so maybe there should be biggest turn around, and coach of the year as well.  I for one am really happy with the jobs that both OF coaches have done this season.

OF went 0-4 (do you want a pat on he back for being competetive?) against HJ and Silsbee!!!!!  Hey lets give Coach of the Year to the coach that went 0-4 against the Co-District Champs!!!!!

I said it once and I will say it again.  I knew Ray when he was an assistant at LCM to Jeff Burke (Ex-Hawk BTW) and he is a great coach and a even better guy.  He did a great job but he lost to the big dogs (yet 2 out of the 4 games were close) and beat up on all of the little puppies.  Congrats on making the playoffs and winning a playoff game against Coldspring but I doubt that there will be any post season awards for the OF coaching staff!!!

Here is my opinion on awards for the district.  I likely will miss a few.......

Coach of the Year--Todd Sutherland

MVP--Jarvis Benard

Offensive--Shannon Robinson (Only because Jarvis cannot win both)

Defensive--Not Sure

Newcomer--DK Howard

Freshman--Not Sure

Tried to stay out of this one but just can't.  If I would have asked you before we started the year who would win 21-3a I think most would agree that HJ would be the pick.  If I would have asked the same question about OF you probably would have laughed me off the court.  I agree that the record is what everyone is judged upon but what about this and I don't mean to get any HJ people fired up because I am not saying anything negative about you but what about when one of the best players in the district goes down like Burrell, they lose to Silsbee, almost lose to OF, Jasper plays close.  He comes back, they blow out everyone again.  So, is it coaching or a matter of having the most talent in the district?  So much of what we are debating comes down to the players that you have and more importantly what do you get out of them.  Sutherland, Williams, and Wrinkle are all good coaches and they get the most out of their talent, so maybe there should be biggest turn around, and coach of the year as well.  I for one am really happy with the jobs that both OF coaches have done this season.

I agree to some extent to what your saying, but don't sale your athletes short at OF we knew that this year yall would be much improved, did i think you would come in third, I thought it was possible just from what your jv did last year, I honestly had them coming in 4th so it's not to far from reason from being third. I dont think it was all coaching that made it possible either, but i do think the coaches you have are doing a fine job. The way you make it sound is that it was all coaching and a lot of it had to do with the personel that all of the coaches had to work with. I think Orangefield is having a great year and i think they will have more to come.

OF went 0-4 (do you want a pat on he back for being competetive?) against HJ and Silsbee!!!!!  Hey lets give Coach of the Year to the coach that went 0-4 against the Co-District Champs!!!!!

I said it once and I will say it again.  I knew Ray when he was an assistant at LCM to Jeff Burke (Ex-Hawk BTW) and he is a great coach and a even better guy.  He did a great job but he lost to the big dogs (yet 2 out of the 4 games were close) and beat up on all of the little puppies.  Congrats on making the playoffs and winning a playoff game against Coldspring but I doubt that there will be any post season awards for the OF coaching staff!!!

Here is my opinion on awards for the district.  I likely will miss a few.......

Coach of the Year--Todd Sutherland

MVP--Jarvis Benard

Offensive--Shannon Robinson (Only because Jarvis cannot win both)

Defensive--Not Sure

Newcomer--DK Howard

Freshman--Not Sure

defensive--Ricossa or Payne

Coach of the year is always a BS award anyway.  Whoever wins district they get it pretty much.  Do I think Sutherland is a great coach? You bet I do.  Do I think H-J athletes are better? Not really, I think H-J has tradition in basketball and that is huge to success.  If their athletes were better at H-J they would dominate the district in football.  At OF Wrinkle has finally gotten a few kids who are putting basketball as their number one sport, but they do so in the face of a coaching staff and community that puts football number one.  I bet Coach Sutherland isn't standing on a football field from 6am to 10pm every day for 4 months.  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.  Coach Wrinkle HAS to do that because it is a prerequisite for coaching basketball at OF.  Meanwhile his "basketball" players who don't play football are walking around chilling on their own.  That and the fact that OF was expected to do nothing, (even though lots of us knew this group was gonna be pretty good) makes Wrinkle coach of the year in my opinion.  If you go on strictly records you would say Barry Switzer was a good NFL football coach...

Coach of the year is always a BS award anyway.  Whoever wins district they get it pretty much.  Do I think Sutherland is a great coach? You bet I do.  Do I think H-J athletes are better? Not really, I think H-J has tradition in basketball and that is huge to success.  If their athletes were better at H-J they would dominate the district in football.  At OF Wrinkle has finally gotten a few kids who are putting basketball as their number one sport, but they do so in the face of a coaching staff and community that puts football number one.  I bet Coach Sutherland isn't standing on a football field from 6am to 10pm every day for 4 months.  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.  Coach Wrinkle HAS to do that because it is a prerequisite for coaching basketball at OF.  Meanwhile his "basketball" players who don't play football are walking around chilling on their own.  That and the fact that OF was expected to do nothing, (even though lots of us knew this group was gonna be pretty good) makes Wrinkle coach of the year in my opinion.  If you go on strictly records you would say Barry Switzer was a good NFL football coach...

ha, "trump card."

The only people that think that the Coach of the Year award is BS is the people that did not win or your team did not win.  No Coach Sutherland has earned the right not to have to coach other sports.  Ray will earn the same one day.  HJ only has two basketball players who played football....it is a huge advantage also.  Silsbee has the best athletes in the district but they did not win the district outright.  WOS won the district in football and has the best athletes in football and did not even make the playoffs in basketball....so your statement is wrong about athletes.  OF has alot of what HJ has and it will win you more games than athletes anyday and that is basketball players!!!!!  I would take a basketball player over an athlete anyday!!!!!  Switzer is a hall of famer........NOT!!!!! ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    monebi
    Newest Member
    monebi