Should fans be alowed to sit on either side at the basketball game

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sit were you want...when are rivals like silsbee and wo-s come to h-j people from h-j still sit over with no problem....OF grow up...its sad when you can look across the gym and see high school students acting more mature than OF grow ups....its sad....

I think you should be able to sit where you want for the most part.  I think though if you decide to sit on the opposing teams bleachers, that is your choice.    Just remember you are sitting on the side that doesnt support your team.  And if you are offended by objectionable or offensive comments possibly coming from the opposing teams fans, dont be surprised.  Every school has a section or group of crazy fans or idiots who say stupid things and if you happen to sit in that section prepare yourself to hear anything and everything. 

I think in gyms where the player benches are actually in the bleachers or close by, opposing teams fans should not be allowed to sit near the bench area.  I saw an incident a couple weeks ago at an intense basketball game where an opposing teams fan (a lady) stood right behind where the players and coaches were sitting and she yelled, screamed and clapped in their ear the entire game.  It was quite annoying and a disturbance to the coach and players.  The fans around voiced their displeasure toward her and eventually harassed her during the game for it. She never stopped, and her husband wanted to fight the fans after the game.  I think that was classless from the opposing fans part and they shouldnt have allowed her and her husband to sit there and it wouldve been avoided.

I agree! I don't have a problem unless there is vulgar language used while Women and children are present or making inapropriate comments to the players on the court. To me that is taking it too far. I do agree there will alway's be your occasional idiot that you will have to deal with. For the most part I appreciate passionate fans, I am one, but just don't let it roll into poor sportsmanship.

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="315547" timestamp="1200330115"]
I agree! I don't have a problem unless there is vulgar language used while Women and children are present or making inapropriate comments to the players on the court. To me that is taking it too far. I do agree there will alway's be your occasional idiot that you will have to deal with. For the most part I appreciate passionate fans, I am one, but just don't let it roll into poor sportsmanship.
[/quote]
great point

for me, you should be able to sit where you want.  the only problem i can see would be if a group of hecklers wanted to go onto the opposing team's side. groups like that should be required to stay on their team's side of the gym to avoid conflict.  other than that, any fan who wants should be able to sit where you want... just don't get upside if you're on the other team's side and you hear some things about your team that upset you.

You can't make certain rules, for certain people. Either the home side sits on the home side or anyone sit anywhere.  In Orangefield there has never been a problem with that because the doors are marked who sits where. It's simple you just have to read.  I don't see a point in sitting on the other teams side?  Are you just trying to cause problems or trying to be offended?  I for one would stand before I ever sat on another teams side because I have respect for the other team that they don't have to hear my big mouth the whole game.

[quote name="Bobcat1" post="315558" timestamp="1200331121"]
You can't make certain rules, for certain people. Either the home side sits on the home side or anyone sit anywhere.  In Orangefield there has never been a problem with that because the doors are marked who sits where. It's simple you just have to read.  I don't see a point in sitting on the other teams side?  Are you just trying to cause problems or trying to be offended?  I for one would stand before I ever sat on another teams side because I have respect for the other team that they don't have to hear my big mouth the whole game.
[/quote]

i think you can make certain rules for certain people.  take the OF/HJ game.  with all of the griping that was already going on, can you imagine if the hawk hecklers had spent the second half on the visitor's side of the gym?  it would have been crazy, and the administrators would've stepped in.  as for the quiet hawk fans, they should be able to sit wherever they want at a home game.  i think the flipside of this would be if some visiting OF fans had sat right behind the hawk bench and started heckling.  it would've been a bad situation, and somebody would've and should've stopped it in order to avoid a problem with fans fighting.  i think a lot of HJ fans sit on the visiting side because, even though the appreciate what the hawk hecklers do, it can be tough to watch a game if you're sitting near them.  as long as fans are respectful of each other, as they should be, it shouldn't be a big deal if you get a few fans intermingling.

I was obviously at the HJ/OF game and for the most part the HJ side was full.  On the OF side of the gym there were more HJ fans than OF fans.  When you have a good program you have more people watch the games and there is no way to sit all of the Hawk fans on one side of the Hawk gym.  Our new gym will have the enough room though!!! 

[quote name="Lazeek" post="315635" timestamp="1200335940"]
I was obviously at the HJ/OF game and for the most part the HJ side was full.  On the OF side of the gym there were more HJ fans than OF fans.  When you have a good program you have more people watch the games and there is no way to sit all of the Hawk fans on one side of the Hawk gym.  Our new gym will have the enough room though!!! 
[/quote]

haha good call Lazeek. i unfortunatlly will be gone by the time that project is finished.

[quote name="Bobcat1" post="315558" timestamp="1200331121"]
[/quote]

the reason y people sit on opposing teams side is not because they want to rub it in your face that you will loose, or that we want to make yall mad, its simply because are gym is old and there is not alot of room...

[quote name="bullets13" post="315564" timestamp="1200331644"]
[quote author=Bobcat1 link=topic=31873.msg315558#msg315558 date=1200331121]
[/quote]

i think you can make certain rules for certain people.  take the OF/HJ game.  with all of the griping that was already going on, can you imagine if the hawk hecklers had spent the second half on the visitor's side of the gym?  it would have been crazy, and the administrators would've stepped in.  as for the quiet hawk fans, they should be able to sit wherever they want at a home game.  i think the flipside of this would be if some visiting OF fans had sat right behind the hawk bench and started heckling.  it would've been a bad situation, and somebody would've and should've stopped it in order to avoid a problem with fans fighting.  i think a lot of HJ fans sit on the visiting side because, even though the appreciate what the hawk hecklers do, it can be tough to watch a game if you're sitting near them.  as long as fans are respectful of each other, as they should be, it shouldn't be a big deal if you get a few fans intermingling.
[/quote]

How can you make rules fo certain people? I mean unless the people taking money ask you if you're going to be a rowdy fan, a calm fan, or an idiotic fan ect. this is the side you sit on.  Thats why there is a home and visitors side, because you can't ask those kind of questions.  I personally would feel uncomfortable sitting on the other teams side.  I yell and I yell a lot & am very loud, nothing negative to the players ever, but when we do something good I want to cheer my team on, and if we did something good that means the opposing team didn't and I for one wouldn't like to rub it in their face if I am right behind them.    

maybe making specific rules isn't realistic, but having leadership at the game to make sure things don't get out of hand isn't.  i agree with you that you do not know how people are going to act before they get into the gym, but once they get there, and start acting up, officials should do whatever is necessary to make sure that everyone can enjoy the game.  if that means moving a few rowdy fans back to their side of the gym, then do it.  that's all i'm saying.  if someone from the opposite team is on your side but isn't doing anything to upset you, then let them sit there.  if they are rowdy or obnoxious, let the powers that be get them out of your hair.  it wouldn't take a lot to enforce this, and anyone who made a big deal about it could be removed from the gym.  i believe that a fan has a right to sit on the other side of the court, but i don't think they should be allowed to ruin the viewing experience of the visiting fans, even if they are cheering for my beloved hawks...

[quote name="Bobcat1" post="315679" timestamp="1200339937"]
[quote author=bullets13 link=topic=31873.msg315564#msg315564 date=1200331644]
[quote author=Bobcat1 link=topic=31873.msg315558#msg315558 date=1200331121]
[/quote]

[/quote]

How can you make rules fo certain people? I mean unless the people taking money ask you if you're going to be a rowdy fan, a calm fan, or an idiotic fan ect. this is the side you sit on.  Thats why there is a home and visitors side, because you can't ask those kind of questions.  I personally would feel uncomfortable sitting on the other teams side.  I yell and I yell a lot & am very loud, nothing negative to the players ever, but when we do something good I want to cheer my team on, and if we did something good that means the opposing team didn't and I for one wouldn't like to rub it in their face if I am right behind them.    

[/quote]

this is dumb anybody has the right to sit where ever they want okay not everyone can help the fact that OF is sore losers. For instance take the Silsbee game at Hj, Hj fans sit on the visitors side during that game too but did you hear any Silsbee fans crying like little girls no. The problem is that let's be real OF you finally have a good bball club and you walk into an hostile bball enviroment at Hj who has a great history in bball greatness and didn't know how to handle it. I understand that but to sit around and cry about it is ridiculous wipe up your tears and get ready for Silsbee cause that's who your going to be fighting for that 2nd place spot in district.

i'm an HJ fan, not an OF fan.  i'm just saying that any visiting fan that makes the trip to HJ ought to be able to enjoy watching the game.  the HJ fans should certainly be able to sit on the visitors' side, especially if the HJ side is full, but they need to show enough class to be respectful and realize what side of the gym they are on.  Basically, if you're going to act like a buffoon, you need to stay on your side of the gym (I'm not implying that HJ fans did this, just stating a generality).  If you're willing to show class and be a respectful fan, sit wherever you'd like.  This thread isn't an OF/HJ thread, as Mwhizzie would like to make it.  It's just a basketball etiquette question.  BUT, if a group of OF fans had sat in the middle of the hecklers and acted a fool, Mwhizzie would've probably been the first person to tell them to move, and you would've been right to do so. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder