Kountze 55 Orangefield 60/FINAL!

18 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Too funny 😂

I think we can all agree now that this was one last “home run hire” by Smalley before going to the dark side (relax Cards, I kid).  With a top 10 coach in SETX at the helm (he’s been on my list for years), and the talent coming up through the pipeline, the Bobcats have a chance to be a 3A power for the next several years (assuming they stay 3A, which they should).  Unless there is some major real estate development very quickly, there isn’t a ton of room for population growth in OF. 

(Sidenote:  with Orangefield and Kountze trending up, EC is going to need to up that recruiting budget so they can get back in the mix for those BISD transfers wirh HF.  Step it up Bucs!)

LOL!!!!

2 hours ago, Sports86 said:

Just to be clear, I'm not "y'all" as in being a Kountze fan. I'm from Orangefield, had 3 kids graduate from Orangefield, all 3 played sports at Orangefield. You spoke on the behalf of yourself, the coaches, the boys and the community of Orangefield, not sure why you felt the need to do so. As I stated, all that needed to be said was great job Bobcats, the rest of your comments is not  Orangefield. Your son is a great player, let him be great on his on accord.

James 4:10 "Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up."

Matthew 5:38 "You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and a tooth for tooth. But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn them the other cheek also."

6 hours ago, Cu Chulainn said:

We play the the game the right way, we want our boys to understand compassion and empathy for their opponents. So you couldn't score a 100 points on your opponents, that means you show compassion and empathy. Who are you to PAST JUDGEMENT on these coaches and players. All you had to say was great job Bobcats, all the rest of that crap was ridiculous. 

Yes ma'am, it was your previous comment above in bold that led me to believe you were from Kountze. Im sorry I have upset you, but this is a sports blog where a lot of things get said, where we all have to "turn the other cheek". The negative comments on this very blog were printed and hung (not by me and I had no knowledge until my son sent me a pic of it) on our players lockers as motivation! They were one of the biggest reasons they were so dialed in last night, so we thank the haters for that!

In my initial statement, notice I said, "To all the haters" and that showed who I was addressing, which wasn't you. It was simply to say that a challenge was issued, our boys accepted and delivered. 

I do apologize for upsetting you ma'am, but please know I felt I was being as respectful as possible when talking about how proud we are of our team.

9 hours ago, Cu Chulainn said:

To all the haters, humble pie is best served cold and that is exactly what happened tonight! We dont run it up on folks because that isnt who we are. We play the game the right way with respect for our opponents. Not saying Kountze doesnt respect their opponents, but we dont care what our average points per game is or even average margin of victory. We care about the win loss column, but want our boys to understand compassion and empathy for their opponents. Coach Whitmire and his staff are teaching more than basketball!

Humble pie works both ways.   You know the players at several schools. Kountze has some very humble players and coaches.  The coaches also coach more than basketball.  If you know Joubert he is a very self less man, humble and highly regarded.   He coaches the game win or lose and move to the next one.  The last few years when Kountze was getting bullied on the court no one was crying about people running up the score on them.   They took those whoppings and kept playing  Kountze isn’t worried about how many points are scored or who is the leading scorer .  Orangefield played great last night and much better than the game at Kountze.  The first quarter was awesome.   But Kountze rallied and fell short by 5.  Who knows if the PG hadn’t of fouled out with about 3mins left and Kountze made free throws , what would have happened.   Ghost and Wrinkle played amazing.   
    The old heads from Kountze get on here and talk smack.  And people do get in their feelings.  Don’t put that on the coaches or kids.   You can ask Whitmire about Joubert and how he runs the team.   

1 hour ago, Cu Chulainn said:

Yes ma'am, it was your previous comment above in bold that led me to believe you were from Kountze. Im sorry I have upset you, but this is a sports blog where a lot of things get said, where we all have to "turn the other cheek". The negative comments on this very blog were printed and hung (not by me and I had no knowledge until my son sent me a pic of it) on our players lockers as motivation! They were one of the biggest reasons they were so dialed in last night, so we thank the haters for that!

In my initial statement, notice I said, "To all the haters" and that showed who I was addressing, which wasn't you. It was simply to say that a challenge was issued, our boys accepted and delivered. 

I do apologize for upsetting you ma'am, but please know I felt I was being as respectful as possible when talking about how proud we are of our team.

The fact high school kids are using forum posts (from most who's opinions are irrelevant anyway we're mostly a bunch of dads, moms and grandparents babbling) as motivation baffles me. "Hey look at the people on this forum"

like any of us are professional analysts.

I  and some of the coaches i know would be teaching them to block out the noise not amplify it. But hey. Whatever works.

2 minutes ago, weonlyrun28toss said:

With this hype with OF, upgrade the sound system.  Grandparents were cringed!

Just because the kids are better at basketball, doesn’t mean it’s not still a poor district.  And for me, it’s more the kind of music than the sound system anyway.  And if that didn’t make me sound old enough, it IS too loud for me, even if it was music I actually enjoy.  But that’s just the way it is most places now days I suppose.  On the up side, come to Lamar games. They’re still rocking YMCA and Cotton Eyed Joe 😂🤣

46 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Just because the kids are better at basketball, doesn’t mean it’s not still a poor district.  And for me, it’s more the kind of music than the sound system anyway.  And if that didn’t make me sound old enough, it IS too loud for me, even if it was music I actually enjoy.  But that’s just the way it is most places now days I suppose.  On the up side, come to Lamar games. They’re still rocking YMCA and Cotton Eyed Joe 😂🤣

Cant hear from all the distortion!  

Im so ready for game 3! 

I haven’t read where any posts were directed negatively towards the kids or coaches. AAW or myself would have deleted those post(s) immediately. 

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Ch Chu was making references to the fans on this board who were predicting a Kountze win and some predicting a large margin.  

Since I haven’t lived in the area in over ten years, this was the first time I’ve been in the OF gym to watch the boys play in probably a good 10+ years. The game was awesome! Both teams played really well and with great sportsmanship. I hope I can be at next one between the two.  

21 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

I haven’t read where any posts were directed negatively towards the kids or coaches. AAW or myself would have deleted those post(s) immediately. 

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Ch Chu was making references to the fans on this board who were predicting a Kountze win and some predicting a large margin.  

Since I haven’t lived in the area in over ten years, this was the first time I’ve been in the OF gym to watch the boys play in probably a good 10+ years. The game was awesome! Both teams played really well and with great sportsmanship. I hope I can be at next one between the two.  

Correct, I was 100% addressing negative comments about how bad Orangefield would get beaten on this post. The boys used it as motivation and played a great game against a great opponent. Brought up margin of victory because it is what some folks used to figure their own lines on the game. Just meant our boys have more fire power than what is shown on the scoreboard in some cases.

2 hours ago, setxathlete14 said:

The fact high school kids are using forum posts (from most who's opinions are irrelevant anyway we're mostly a bunch of dads, moms and grandparents babbling) as motivation baffles me. "Hey look at the people on this forum"

like any of us are professional analysts.

I  and some of the coaches i know would be teaching them to block out the noise not amplify it. But hey. Whatever works.

The negative comments were printed and hung by adults, not the kids. However, these players are Varsity young men, so negativity and being told they couldn't do something did fuel their fire. So, yes whatever it takes is right.

16 minutes ago, Cu Chulainn said:

The negative comments were printed and hung by adults, not the kids. However, these players are Varsity young men, so negativity and being told they couldn't do something did fuel their fire. So, yes whatever it takes is right.

I understand. But I still think the opinions of us or our comments on a public sports forum mean notta. And probably shouldn't even be put to light in any high school locker room. Block the noise.

2 hours ago, mfd814 said:

Humble pie works both ways.   You know the players at several schools. Kountze has some very humble players and coaches.  The coaches also coach more than basketball.  If you know Joubert he is a very self less man, humble and highly regarded.   He coaches the game win or lose and move to the next one.  The last few years when Kountze was getting bullied on the court no one was crying about people running up the score on them.   They took those whoppings and kept playing  Kountze isn’t worried about how many points are scored or who is the leading scorer .  Orangefield played great last night and much better than the game at Kountze.  The first quarter was awesome.   But Kountze rallied and fell short by 5.  Who knows if the PG hadn’t of fouled out with about 3mins left and Kountze made free throws , what would have happened.   Ghost and Wrinkle played amazing.   
    The old heads from Kountze get on here and talk smack.  And people do get in their feelings.  Don’t put that on the coaches or kids.   You can ask Whitmire about Joubert and how he runs the team.   

For the record, I think Joubert is an awesome Coach just like I do Whitmire, which I have said in previous posts. I also think the Kountze Players are great (4 of them used to play for me and I will always love those guys) and they are a class act! They are real athletes that compete as hard as they can and leave it all on the floor. So there is nothing but respect there from me. The game last night was the most exciting high school game I have ever seen and its because of the players and coaches. However, like you said folks do get on here and talk smack. I try to take the high road in most cases, but I am always going to defend the kids, regardless of who it upsets.

In hindsight, I shouldn't have even brought up the margin of victory mess, but sometimes you get tired of the kids not getting credit when they are due. Neither one of us are going to shoot the ball particularly well against each other, because both teams are dialed in playing their best defense possible due to the magnitude of the game.

We were all gifted with watching two great games by two great teams being coached by two of the best in Texas. Im going to just leave it at that, and look forward to both of their playoff runs! Like I said before, SETX shined last night

2 minutes ago, setxathlete14 said:

I understand. But I still think the opinions of us or our comments on a public sports forum mean notta. And probably shouldn't even be put to light in any high school locker room. Block the noise.

I'm with you man, and can't say I disagree. I think it was more of "Protect Your house" type of motivation.  Every group of players are different, and at least in this case it did hype them up.

1 minute ago, Cu Chulainn said:

I'm with you man, and can't say I disagree. I think it was more of "Protect Your house" type of motivation.  Every group of players are different, and at least in this case it did hype them up.

Great game either way. As advertised and Great atmosphere for the kids to be in. They earned that opportunity.

38 minutes ago, Cu Chulainn said:

Correct, I was 100% addressing negative comments about how bad Orangefield would get beaten on this post. The boys used it as motivation and played a great game against a great opponent. Brought up margin of victory because it is what some folks used to figure their own lines on the game. Just meant our boys have more fire power than what is shown on the scoreboard in some cases.

Are you suggesting that me putting lines on games is "bulletin board" material?

I have been doing this for years and never had any complaints. Heck, people are always asking me to post them.

Nobody here should take my lines personally.

BTW, me having Kountze as 8 point favorites shouldn't rile anyone.

Just now, AggiesAreWe said:

I have been doing this for years and never had any complaints. Heck, people are always asking me to post them.

I would have tagged you if I was talking about you or said it to you last night in person. You taking Kountze at -8 isn't offensive in anyway. I like the lines you put out and they are usually pretty close.

I thought I was pretty clear about haters and negativity being who I was speaking to.

1 minute ago, Cu Chulainn said:

I would have tagged you if I was talking about you or said it to you last night in person. You taking Kountze at -8 isn't offensive in anyway. I like the lines you put out and they are usually pretty close.

I thought I was pretty clear about haters and negativity being who I was speaking to.

Just checking because I'm usually the only one putting lines out. I know others come on here and predict scores, but using the word "lines" caught my attention.

Just wanted to make sure.

34 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Kountze -8???  You’re losing a step buddy. 

(Actually I thought that was a pretty tight line when you posted it.)

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Just checking because I'm usually the only one putting lines out. I know others come on here and predict scores, but using the word "lines" caught my attention.

Just wanted to make sure.

My fault, bad choice of words on my part. I should have said their "predictions". Your lines are accurate and come from actually watching the games.

Likely there will be the biggest crowd of the season for either of these teams.  This is not only a good local rivalry game and a generally good game and the seeding has some meaning, but it's also probably the only game in town on Friday.  The girls round 2 will be on Thursday.  Could have a lot of interest beyond just the two schools. 

As far as the brackets go looking ahead neither will face an opponent ranked higher than they until they meet Hitchcock.  Thing is the runner-up gets Hitchcock in the third round and the winner gets them in the Region final.  I think it would be better to get more wins under your belt before facing the No. 1 ranked team.  Either way barring upset Hitchcock waits at the end of the 3A Region 3 rainbow.

2 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

Likely there will be the biggest crowd of the season for either of these teams.  This is not only a good local rivalry game and a generally good game and the seeding has some meaning, but it's also probably the only game in town on Friday.  The girls round 2 will be on Thursday.  Could have a lot of interest beyond just the two schools. 

As far as the brackets go looking ahead neither will face an opponent ranked higher than they until they meet Hitchcock.  Thing is the runner-up gets Hitchcock in the third round and the winner gets them in the Region final.  I think it would be better to get more wins under your belt before facing the No. 1 ranked team.  Either way barring upset Hitchcock waits at the end of the 3A Region 3 rainbow.

Thats interesting and good info, thank you. Would you or @AggiesAreWe know why some folks would be talking about a coin flip? I'm hearing that is a possibility when the game is only for seeding and not to actually secure a playoff spot. Anything you guys know about that? Also will the game be for sure Friday if we play it? How do they decide location?

4 minutes ago, Cu Chulainn said:

Thats interesting and good info, thank you. Would you or @AggiesAreWe know why some folks would be talking about a coin flip? I'm hearing that is a possibility when the game is only for seeding and not to actually secure a playoff spot. Anything you guys know about that? Also will the game be for sure Friday if we play it? How do they decide location?

I believe they have an option to do a play in game, a coin flip, or one team could concede to the other for seeding. In this scenario I really don’t see either team conceding because this seeding game is so important. 

2 minutes ago, TexasBoy89 said:

I believe they have an option to do a play in game, a coin flip, or one team could concede to the other for seeding. In this scenario I really don’t see either team conceding because this seeding game is so important. 

I agree, I wouldn't see either conceding considering the playoff matchups. Another game would be an awesome trilogy, but I had a few folks bring up the risk of injury with these two teams going into another dog fight. Now, I could see how neither would want to risk injury knowing we have to go through some really great teams anyway during the playoffs. I guess a lot of thought will go into this one for sure.