#14 Orangefield at #7 Kountze Predictions - 1/16

• Bobcat1 changed the title to #14 Orangefield at #7 Kountze Predictions - 1/16

Kountze’s 4 losses 

5A La Porte 57-64, 56-59

3A #5 MP Chapel Hill 65-69, 73-81

Orangefield’s 3 losses 

4A Vidor 55-61

3A #12 Palestine Westwood 35-49

4A #22 Tyler Chapel Hill 40-66

Common Teams played 

Kountze.                         Orangefield 

Splendora W 81-38                 W 48-40

Hardin        W 100-21               W 79-28

Warren       W 77-46                W 70-23

EC               W 72-23                W 53-46

7 hours ago, BBfan061 said:

Kountze’s 4 losses 

5A La Porte 57-64, 56-59

3A #5 MP Chapel Hill 65-69, 73-81

Orangefield’s 3 losses 

4A Vidor 55-61

3A #12 Palestine Westwood 35-49

4A #22 Tyler Chapel Hill 40-66

Common Teams played 

Kountze.                         Orangefield 

Splendora W 81-38                 W 48-40

Hardin        W 100-21               W 79-28

Warren       W 77-46                W 70-23

EC               W 72-23                W 53-46

I appreciate you sharing the numbers. Interesting stuff for sure. I can tell you in our blowouts, Scales and Wrinkle both set most of the 2nd half, and by most I mean at least a quarter in a half out each. Im not sure how Kountze runs it but Kountze is deeper and going to their bench probably isnt as much of a drop off as we see in OF. There have been several games where we could have gotten 100, but we back off the gas and let the bench have fun.

Sometimes the numbers can be misleading though. Last year, we lost to EC by 16 and 18 (if I'm not mistaken), Kountze split with EC in very close games but none the less beat them once. Oddly enough, we beat Kountze pretty decisively both times we played them. I guess that is why it is called a sport, and on any given night, anything can happen.

10 hours ago, weonlyrun28toss said:

Ktz presses them out the gym.

Kountze’s depth along with the defense they play will cause 95 percent of teams serious problems.  It’s the 5 percent that have elite guards where it falls apart because it leads to easy buckets on the other end.  Then the question becomes how good is your half court defense?  As often as not, it’s relatively weak due to reliance on the press.  This is why relatively few teams do this at the next level and the ones that do, use it to eat shot clock vs causing turnovers   

Having said all that, Kountze could win every game by 20+ until they play a Hitchcock and then they could get beat by 20+ if they are unable to adjust.   In terms of Orangefield, Scales is probably the best ball handler I’ve seen there in the almost 30 years I’ve been following (and only a sophomore).  This will definitely be the most interesting matchup of the district imo  

8 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Kountze’s depth along with the defense they play will cause 95 percent of teams serious problems.  It’s the 5 percent that have elite guards where it falls apart because it leads to easy buckets on the other end.  Then the question becomes how good is your half court defense?  As often as not, it’s relatively weak due to reliance on the press.  This is why relatively few teams do this at the next level and the ones that do, use it to eat shot clock vs causing turnovers   

Having said all that, Kountze could win every game by 20+ until they play a Hitchcock and then they could get beat by 20+ if they are unable to adjust.   In terms of Orangefield, Scales is probably the best ball handler I’ve seen there in the almost 30 years I’ve been following (and only a sophomore).  This will definitely be the most interesting matchup of the district imo  

Thank you very much for saying that sir! It means a ton!

4 hours ago, Coach 01 said:

I’m hoping the weather doesn’t move this game.

Any idea how that will work if they do push it out due to weather? Can we play an extra game during the week to make it up or would we play again at the end of District? I'm not sure about UIL Rules on this one.

6 hours ago, Cu Chulainn said:

Any idea how that will work if they do push it out due to weather? Can we play an extra game during the week to make it up or would we play again at the end of District? I'm not sure about UIL Rules on this one.

UIL can issue a waiver in the case of weather. Would allow another game during the week if the DEC needed it.

7 hours ago, Cu Chulainn said:

From understanding, from other sports with similar schedules, It would need to be scheduled on the first available date that isn’t already having a game played. But yes, you can plan an extra game under those circumstances 

2 minutes ago, Coach 01 said:

I have no knowledge of talks of moving the game. If there is rain and wind chills in the single digits I’m not sure how that will affect buses running. But no, I haven’t heard any talks about it being moved.

Thank you!  I get if it’s freezing and wet but looks like it’s supposed to be sunny and freezing that part of the week.