Bridge City 54 Silsbee 87/FINAL

IMO, Silsbee top players are very good.  Lets get that out of the way.  But from what I have seen the last few years including this year, one player is great with the recruits and all.  He puts up great numbers in normal games, but the big game with the brightest lights, he disappears.  The other player gives it to you even in the big games.  The best player in my opinion is the one that shows up in the big games.  I'm talking about games against BU, WB, PA, big tournament games, or highly ranked opponents.  

I discuss this all the time on the side.  I don’t want to call out and embarrass a school boy athlete. He might snap out of it. 
I saw Carmelo Anthony play in a showcase game years ago.  I didn’t think he was that good. The next season he led Syracuse to an ncaa championship.  That shows how much I know.  I still,say these kids Need math, reading & study skills. Everybody is not going to make it big playing basketball. 

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

IMO, Silsbee top players are very good.  Lets get that out of the way.  But from what I have seen the last few years including this year, one player is great with the recruits and all.  He puts up great numbers in normal games, but the big game with the brightest lights, he disappears.  The other player gives it to you even in the big games.  The best player in my opinion is the one that shows up in the big games.  I'm talking about games against BU, WB, PA, big tournament games, or highly ranked opponents.  

I'm afraid Silsbee might be in for some lean years for a little while after this. People had better enjoy this season while it last.

36 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

What makes you say that?

Freshman class this year isn't good (besides Payton obviously) and the 8th graders aren't much better from what I've seen.

It's a combo of some lackluster classes coming up and some kids just choosing not to play.

Silsbee has some exceptional looking groups at the junior levels, so that little dry spell won't last, but people are gonna need to hang in there and be patient.

Payton will get to do his thing, but I'm a little concerned about what they're gonna surround him with starting in 26.

I'm just basing this on what I've seen up to right now. A lot can change from year to year, so you never know. May need to borrow a few more from Marshall Middle School though 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

Freshman class this year isn't good (besides Payton obviously) and the 8th graders aren't much better from what I've seen.

It's a combo of some lackluster classes coming up and some kids just choosing not to play.

Silsbee has some exceptional looking groups at the junior levels, so that little dry spell won't last, but people are gonna need to hang in there and be patient.

Payton will get to do his thing, but I'm a little concerned about what they're gonna surround him with starting in 26.

I'm just basing this on what I've seen up to right now. A lot can change from year to year, so you never know. May need to borrow a few more from Marshall Middle School though 🤷‍♂️

Silsbee should be solid next season after football. 

Just now, BADSANTA said:

I just looked. Silsbee doesn't play Hardin Jefferson this season? No Hardin County Havoc???? 

They couldn't get it scheduled.

Coach Davis didn't want to schedule Silsbee while Silsbee was in the football playoffs. Wanted to play them later in the season. I agree with that. It should be when the two teams are at full strength.

The problem arose when HJ's district added a school to the district schedule. West Fork decided to play a varsity schedule this season instead of waiting till next year in the new realignment. West Fork only has freshmen and sophomores. Because of the addition, it added two more district games for HJ and the window was closed on when those two teams could play each other. Originally they wanted to play last Friday or sometime this week but with the additional district games along with Silsbee still having to play two tournaments, it took that out of the equation.

I talked to both coaches about it. They will be back on schedule next year.

5 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

I vaguely remember seeing Waldo Matthew’s play b ball.  I started watching SHS (Silsbee High School) as early as 68-69. That’s what? 55, 56 years?  It was mostly winning seasons, but there were some clunkers too. You would see a class graduate and you think ‘what are we going to do? There will never be..’ next thing you know another fabulous crop of athletes would drift in off the parks and play grounds and it is off to the races again.  IOWs it’ll be aight, eventually.

27 minutes ago, TexasBoy89 said:

They’ll most likely match up with them in the playoffs 

One way that will happen is for HJ to finish 1st in their district and I don't see that happening. I got Huffman winning that district.

The other way is for both to make the regional finals and I see Silsbee getting there, but not HJ.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

One way that will happen is for HJ to finish 1st in their district and I don't see that happening. I got Huffman winning that district.

The other way is for both to make the regional finals and I see Silsbee getting there, but not HJ.

Oh ok so we probably won’t see them then I don’t think they make the region finals. Just thought Silsbee may see them in the 3rd round like last year.