Huntsville vs PNG - 5aD2 Regional Final

Rez Ipsa

Huntsville vs PNG - 5aD2 Region 3 Final   

116 members have voted

1. 1. Huntsville or PNG?

22 minutes ago, ndn2016 said:

Got 2 questions?

1) Does anyone remember the blocked xtra point against Central when PNG ran the ball all the way back to tie the score and put the game in OT which led to a win?

2) Does anyone have a video clip of that play or highlights from that game? thinking circa 2007 

Give me a second. 😁

34 minutes ago, ndn2016 said:

Got 2 questions?

1) Does anyone remember the blocked xtra point against Central when PNG ran the ball all the way back to tie the score and put the game in OT which led to a win?

2) Does anyone have a video clip of that play or highlights from that game? thinking circa 2007 

The luckiest part of that play is the football wound up in the hands of Dre Dunbar who was the fastest player on the team. He ran a 4.49 40 

11 hours ago, Eazy said:

Former Huntsville D-Lineman T’Vondre Sweat is the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year.  PNG folks might remember him when the Hornets came to town in 2018.  He was quite the force.  

Yes he beat RJ up that night! He may be the best high school defensive player I ever seen play. He was so fast running across the field and landing big hits. That was a really good Huntsville defense. Late in the game RJ's mom wanted him out of the game. Sweat was and still is a bad dude!

Really excited for this game.  The last NRG game I saw was Huntsville-Manvel in 2018.  Not sure the Hornets can stay with PNG though. The defense has been playing really well but that PNG O-Line will be a challenge.  Hornets will probably need some turnovers to have a chance.  Also, can’t let PNG get a 2 score lead.  If they can keep it a low scoring slugfest, then they may have a chance to steal one.  Huntsville has played a very challenging schedule.  The last 6 games have been tough opponents and 3 of the non district games were too.  So I think they are prepared and can hopefully stay in this one.  Regardless, it has been a successful season getting to Round 4 for the Hornets.  

44 minutes ago, ndn2016 said:

Thank you so much for posting that, I forgot about the bounce off another player, that is one of the best all time highlights of PNG football history ☺️

Oh it makes me smile EVERY time I see it. 😁 Just ask @BMTSoulja1 

I’ve been watching some Huntsville film. I’m predicting a grinding, slobberknocker game similar to the one PNG had against West Orange. Huntsville is big on the defensive line, and they don’t give up big plays. They’re also fast on the D line, with quick hands. Number 55 has multiple long runs after fumbles or interceptions. And they’re capable of closing off the run game similarly to Lake Creek. In the playoffs, their defense is a mirror to PNG’s (though we played the best offense in the region in Lake Creek). Looking only at their playoff performance, they’ve given up an average of 16 points a game, identical to PNG over the same period. That being said, PNG’s offense has been better than Huntsville’s, and I think that will make the difference. 

I see two likely scenarios:

One, PNG plays stiff defense and is able to move the ball relatively consistently, slowly inching up the score board for a final score around 21/28 to 7/14.

Two, Huntsville keeps it to a close, one-score game and whoever wins does it by the skin of their teeth. Huntsville wants a low-scoring game, of course.

I think we have the advantage in a shootout. The later the game goes with a 14-7 or 7-0 score, the more I start to see a Huntsville upset. Richmond and Texas City showed that if you let Huntsville hang around they can take advantage of it. We just have to come out clean, get up by a couple scores, and hang on. As improved as Huntsville’s defense has been, they haven’t shown the same leap on offense. If they have to play catchup, we control the game.