TABC Preseason Polls?

BBfan061

4 hours ago, bullets13 said:

HJ graduated some seniors, but they went 30-6 last year, have key pieces returning, and always reload.  Just like the last several years, they'll be a fair step behind Silsbee, PAM, and BU, but to see two people make top-10 lists and neither put them on there is laughable.  

It’s laughable that I got on here and thought that bullets wouldn’t be whining about HJ not being in the top 10. 

1 hour ago, HasBeen36 said:

It’s laughable that I got on here and thought that bullets wouldn’t be whining about HJ not being in the top 10. 

So you’re saying that you don’t think HJ will be one of the top 10 teams in the area?  It’s also laughable that you’re worried about ole bullets still. 

9 hours ago, HasBeen36 said:

Naw im just a Sutherland believer and think the program has took a step back since he left. 

He’s an awesome coach, but I think a lot more of it has to do with A) Silsbee becoming almost unbeatable for the last decade and B ) the road to regionals including 1-3 4A AAU Houston teams every year.  You wanna make the argument that Sutherland might’ve done a little better, it’s possible.  But he’s not beating those Silsbee or Houston teams any more than Davis has.  I think he saw what was coming down the pipe and got out while the getting was good.  

On 10/11/2023 at 7:56 PM, bullets13 said:

So you’re saying that you don’t think HJ will be one of the top 10 teams in the area?  It’s also laughable that you’re worried about ole bullets still. 

Who is coming back for Hardin-Jefferson?  Lumberton dad said they boat raced them in a fall league game (don't really matter) and he didn't recognize any of the kids.  I think maybe they take a step back in that district. 

On 10/11/2023 at 9:08 PM, HasBeen36 said:

Naw im just a Sutherland believer and think the program has took a step back since he left. 

And Sutherland has taken a step back since HF has taken a decent share of his recruiting pool. 

To be fair, if Sutherland is the barometer most replacements would be a “step back.”  But it’s kind of like having Dan Ray and Cornel back to back at WOS football.  Maybe not to quite that extent but similar imo.  Unlike some of the Mustang faithful though, it appears to me that the Hawk folks are aware and thankful for what they have. Not surprising though as they are probably the most astute hoops fan bases in SETX from my experience. 

59 minutes ago, 72 Pinto said:

I'd be happy to critique your list.  Where is it?  

I would defer to several on this board who have seen these teams more than I have.  But I would think that arguments could be made for several different orders with the top 4 (imo) in this area, i.e., United, Silsbee, WB and Memorial.  Personally, I like @whsalum’s order but I could see it going many different ways.  But they all have a ton of talent and are well coached. 

5 minutes ago, 72 Pinto said:

SETX.  Summer Creek and Atascocita are in the bmt district, but those guys aren't local.  Plus if they are included they would knock some local teams off the list.  And their people aren't on this board to argue or debate.

My point is being they are considered teams we cover here, they should be included in rankings posted here.

Local is such a relative term. What's the boundaries?

I guess you can say, top 10 Hardin, Jefferson and Orange Counties. That's local.

I just look at it from our website perspective. If they are in the coverage area, then they should be in rankings.

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

So just for clarification purposes, are these lists that have been posted just the very very local list or SETXsports coverage area list?

Like I said, why post any list here that doesn't include all our teams?

I was talking more Golden Triangle-ish.  You are 100 percent correct that any rankings should include all coverage area teams.  But I don’t think of the Houston area schools as SETX which is more what I was talking about (your description of Orange, Jefferson, Hardin is prob most descript, but I was also thinking chambers, jasper and newton counties).  

11 hours ago, 72 Pinto said:

Who is coming back for Hardin-Jefferson?  Lumberton dad said they boat raced them in a fall league game (don't really matter) and he didn't recognize any of the kids.  I think maybe they take a step back in that district. 

No clue.  I honestly haven’t followed them much the last few years.  We live in HF, and I work here, so my allegiance has changed.  I still pull for HJ basketball, but I doubt I could name two players that’ll be on this year’s team.  

10 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

So just for clarification purposes, are these lists that have been posted just the very very local list or SETXsports coverage area list?

Like I said, why post any list here that doesn't include all our teams?

Any coverage area list is only going to have one 4A school in it.  Local list is more interesting to me because it includes more small schools.  

And lest I offend anyone, I like to rib EC about their “Beaumont kids,” more so because they seemed to most vocal about their problems with HF.  But for the record, Todd Sutherland is as fine a man as you want to meet and , like Clay, I would have loved for my own sons to play for him.  And he will also go down as one of the greats in this state (and honestly the country) at doing his job.  How many can say that?

2 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Any coverage area list is only going to have one 4A school in it.  Local list is more interesting to me because it includes more small schools.  

That’s kind of where I land.  If you want to include any sub 5As other than Silsbee, you can’t list the Atasccitas, Summer Creeks, etc.  And come playoff time when our schools are eliminated, I don’t think most of us have a rooting interest in them like we do with United or Silsbee or Memorial. 

11 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

That’s kind of where I land.  If you want to include any sub 5As other than Silsbee, you can’t list the Atasccitas, Summer Creeks, etc.  And come playoff time when our schools are eliminated, I don’t think most of us have a rooting interest in them like we do with United or Silsbee or Memorial. 

So, is it being suggested that this site narrow it's coverage?

Just now, AggiesAreWe said:

So, is it being suggested that this site narrow it's coverage?

Not at all.  I’m just stating why myself and others often don’t discuss those schools in our very subjective lists. We are just drumming up discussions that interest us and those schools generally don’t.  But if we are doing “official” polls, I agree with you that it would need to include schools in our current coverage area, especially since they are district mates with those all of us consider “local.”  Does that make sense?