My 3A-D1 District 9 Rankings

TrojanWarrior08

Been meaning to do this but had a family member being in the hospital but now since I have some time I can tell you guys my rankings and thoughts. So with that being said let's get started with my first pick:

1. Woodville - As I stated in another thread before they have played 2 teams that are state ranked and perennial playoff contenders and played them close both match ups.  They will be fine for the rest of the season as the schedule gets easier with next weeks game against Liberty (Only thing I would have to ask myself is Newton is better than Franklin right now because of the score differential but we won't know because of the different classification they're in and hope Franklin keeps scheduling teams out here in Southeast Texas in pre-district).  

2. Coldspring-Oakhurst - In the first game of the season I realized that our secondary has improved drastically from last year I  think 3 picks against Liberty but I also noticed that the past 2 games the Trojans are not really a good second half team as they will do most of the damage in the first half and get too laxed after that once they put up a comfortable lead.  It could be that the defense may be tired or what but next week will be the hardest game outside of Woodville we should have all season in the Longhorns but this time this will be at our house. I do have the Longhorns winning this one but I think we will hang with them better than last season at our house.

3. Palestine Westwood - They blew out 2 teams so far and if the stories I keep hearing about their QB is true then this team is going to make some noise and put the whole district on notice.  This is my dark horse pick to win district. 

4. Diboll - No knock on the Lumberjacks but this is a completely different team than last season but when district competition rolls around expect them to compete as I feel every team outside of Huntington and Crockett has been better than last year.

5. Shepherd - I had the Pirates either securing the 3rd or 4th slot in district but the loss to Tarkington changes that.  The Longhorns are much improved so I expect them to get a playoff spot in that district.  But don't count out Shepherd yet because the RB is the trust over there. I expect a win next week providing that the team can correct the mistakes in the Tarkington game. 

6. Crockett - This teams is very young and against a state champ in Mart the week before showed that.  Last week game didn't do much for them either and I  expect for them to be bottom dwellers of  the district this season.

7. Huntington - Well the team speaks for themselves but they have played spoilers before in this district and they can do it again.

I'll will try to keep this updated every week so stay tuned as I stated that these are my personal opinions on each time regardless of fact or opinion.

Thanks for doing this, Seems you have a good pulse of where teams are and follow all closely.  I have to admit that We have played both Newton and Franklin better than most expected, myself included.  I still worry about our size and depth, but the team has played well to this point coming up short one play in both games.  This is my sons last year, I look forward to enjoying the rest of the season. As always I Pray each Team/Players have an injury free season and Hold their Heads High in the effort they have given this season, Win, Lose or Draw.  Good Luck to All!! Play on!!

2 hours ago, TrojanWarrior08 said:

Been meaning to do this but had a family member being in the hospital but now since I have some time I can tell you guys my rankings and thoughts. So with that being said let's get started with my first pick:

1. Woodville - As I stated in another thread before they have played 2 teams that are state ranked and perennial playoff contenders and played them close both match ups.  They will be fine for the rest of the season as the schedule gets easier with next weeks game against Liberty (Only thing I would have to ask myself is Newton is better than Franklin right now because of the score differential but we won't know because of the different classification they're in and hope Franklin keeps scheduling teams out here in Southeast Texas in pre-district).  

2. Coldspring-Oakhurst - In the first game of the season I realized that our secondary has improved drastically from last year I  think 3 picks against Liberty but I also noticed that the past 2 games the Trojans are not really a good second half team as they will do most of the damage in the first half and get too laxed after that once they put up a comfortable lead.  It could be that the defense may be tired or what but next week will be the hardest game outside of Woodville we should have all season in the Longhorns but this time this will be at our house. I do have the Longhorns winning this one but I think we will hang with them better than last season at our house.

3. Palestine Westwood - They blew out 2 teams so far and if the stories I keep hearing about their QB is true then this team is going to make some noise and put the whole district on notice.  This is my dark horse pick to win district. 

4. Diboll - No knock on the Lumberjacks but this is a completely different team than last season but when district competition rolls around expect them to compete as I feel every team outside of Huntington and Crockett has been better than last year.

5. Shepherd - I had the Pirates either securing the 3rd or 4th slot in district but the loss to Tarkington changes that.  The Longhorns are much improved so I expect them to get a playoff spot in that district.  But don't count out Shepherd yet because the RB is the trust over there. I expect a win next week providing that the team can correct the mistakes in the Tarkington game. 

6. Crockett - This teams is very young and against a state champ in Mart the week before showed that.  Last week game didn't do much for them either and I  expect for them to be bottom dwellers of  the district this season.

7. Huntington - Well the team speaks for themselves but they have played spoilers before in this district and they can do it again.

I'll will try to keep this updated every week so stay tuned as I stated that these are my personal opinions on each time regardless of fact or opinion.

Thanks for this. You were on point. The key for us to become a 1st & 2nd half team. This district race will be interesting 

2 hours ago, Eagles95 said:

Thanks for doing this, Seems you have a good pulse of where teams are and follow all closely.  I have to admit that We have played both Newton and Franklin better than most expected, myself included.  I still worry about our size and depth, but the team has played well to this point coming up short one play in both games.  This is my sons last year, I look forward to enjoying the rest of the season. As always I Pray each Team/Players have an injury free season and Hold their Heads High in the effort they have given this season, Win, Lose or Draw.  Good Luck to All!! Play on!!

Thanks for the input... I really haven't looked at Newton's size just yet but on Woodville's schedule as far as I can tell only us Westwood and Franklin are the biggest size wise they will see for at least the regular season.  The next opponent in Liberty are very undersized and Woodville should fare way better than Coldspring did against them.  This @jds82 is what I was referring to about common opponents no matter how each team plays each but I do bother to look at the teams and the score although on any given Friday the outcome can be different.

45 minutes ago, TrojanMoJo said:

Thanks for this. You were on point. The key for us to become a 1st & 2nd half team. This district race will be interesting 

I had to do this because not too much light has been shown enough on this district and I think at least 2 teams out of this district can compete during playoff time with Woodville being one of the 2 teams (because I do believe that they will district by default unless something dramatic happens) or Coldspring and Westwood (I low-key have those 2 teams evenly matched for now but also understand that Coldspring is running a new offense so it will take time getting adjusted to.)

1 hour ago, TrojanWarrior08 said:

Thanks for the input... I really haven't looked at Newton's size just yet but on Woodville's schedule as far as I can tell only us Westwood and Franklin are the biggest size wise they will see for at least the regular season.  The next opponent in Liberty are very undersized and Woodville should fare way better than Coldspring did against them.  This @jds82 is what I was referring to about common opponents no matter how each team plays each but I do bother to look at the teams and the score although on any given Friday the outcome can be different.

Nice write up. It would be great if district started up this week. Patience is not one of my strong suits. As mentioned before, this district should be fun to watch and my prayer is that each team continues throughout the season with minimal injuries and each team gives it their all! 

3 hours ago, Eagles95 said:

This the same group that won district pretty easily on JV a couple years ago plus a few that were on varsity at the time and a few others that were still in JH. We are smaller this year especially on defense but that won't be an issue against most 3A teams. I think this team gone really turn up come playoff time especially if we can get fully healthy on defense. 

10 minutes ago, jds82 said:

Nice write up. It would be great if district started up this week. Patience is not one of my strong suits. As mentioned before, this district should be fun to watch and my prayer is that each team continues throughout the season with minimal injuries and each team gives it their all! 

We got after next week until district starts... Since we just got football back I'm not rushing the season.

10 minutes ago, Setx fan said:

I got Westwood at 2 right now but this district could go a lot of different ways. Different teams will match up differently. Can't see Diboll not being in the top 3. 

You could either put both Coldspring or Westwood at 2 or 3.  The only reason why I have Coldspring at 2 is because of the higher classifications they played opposed to Westwood.

1 hour ago, TrojanWarrior08 said:

You could either put both Coldspring or Westwood at 2 or 3.  The only reason why I have Coldspring at 2 is because of the higher classifications they played opposed to Westwood.

Neither team really has had tough opponents on their schedule but Westwood has won more impressively. 

6 minutes ago, Setx fan said:

Neither team really has had tough opponents on their schedule but Westwood has won more impressively. 

Only due to the teams that they played I think the only thing I know about Kemp is I think that they had only one win all of last season (I'll check this out to be sure) and as far as Buffalo is concerned they usually do well in non-district but in their own district is another ball game and Westwood is probably most like the best team they will see in non-district.  Coldspring wins are different because one is a 4A-D2 team that although last year they only won 1 game I believe they was for the most part in their games towards the end at the last minute of each game including us.  The other team a 4A-D1 school that will most likely move up at the next realignment that played against us well for a team to be in the running for a district championship and they just came off a blowout win against a 6A team (who has no business being one but it is what it is can't argue with how many students are there) but a win nevertheless so I guess make with this info however you see fit but Coldspring's wins are more impressive to me than that of Westwood's.

41 minutes ago, TrojanWarrior08 said:

Only due to the teams that they played I think the only thing I know about Kemp is I think that they had only one win all of last season (I'll check this out to be sure) and as far as Buffalo is concerned they usually do well in non-district but in their own district is another ball game and Westwood is probably most like the best team they will see in non-district.  Coldspring wins are different because one is a 4A-D2 team that although last year they only won 1 game I believe they was for the most part in their games towards the end at the last minute of each game including us.  The other team a 4A-D1 school that will most likely move up at the next realignment that played against us well for a team to be in the running for a district championship and they just came off a blowout win against a 6A team (who has no business being one but it is what it is can't argue with how many students are there) but a win nevertheless so I guess make with this info however you see fit but Coldspring's wins are more impressive to me than that of Westwood's.

I doubt Liberty won a whole lot more than one and the 2 main playmakers they were supposed to have returning from that team decided to skip town to Dayton. I hear they're playing a lot of sophomores this year so they might be down even more than last year. Yall beat them by 3 scores so I guess that's respectable. 

Splendora also won one game last year. Yea they're 4AD1 but they lost by like 30 plus to everyone in their district so they obviously don't play at a 4AD1 level. I'm sorry but beating Splendora by 1 score is just not that impressive. A win is a win but Westwood just looks better to me right now. 

53 minutes ago, Setx fan said:

I doubt Liberty won a whole lot more than one and the 2 main playmakers they were supposed to have returning from that team decided to skip town to Dayton. I hear they're playing a lot of sophomores this year so they might be down even more than last year. Yall beat them by 3 scores so I guess that's respectable. 

Splendora also won one game last year. Yea they're 4AD1 but they lost by like 30 plus to everyone in their district so they obviously don't play at a 4AD1 level. I'm sorry but beating Splendora by 1 score is just not that impressive. A win is a win but Westwood just looks better to me right now. 

Splendora is better than anyone WW has played, and it is not close. Also, "last year" means nothing. 

37 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Splendora is better than anyone WW has played, and it is not close. Also, "last year" means nothing. 

I don't doubt that but only beating them by one score is still not impressive to me compared to what Westwood has done. Maybe if there was a little more separation (maybe 3 scores) I might have Coldspring at 2. Either way we'll all find out who's who in the next month or so 

18 hours ago, TrojanWarrior08 said:

Franklin had 6 total fumbles and 4 lost fumbles. So yes the scores was close between Franklin and Woodville. Can't really read in to first game of the the season. Franklin had 0 turnovers the next game while Woodville seemed to turn it over to Newton. Woodville played pretty much a perfect game against Franklin and still lost while having around 3 turnovers against Newton. If Woodville played Newton as well as they did against Franklin then they would have beat Newton imo. Had Franklin not turned it over 4 times it could have very well been a 21 point game. Franklin had almost 600 yards of offense with pretty much a new O-line playing their first varsity game. But what if's don't matter and these games are in the past. I don't think people realize how bad Franklin played week 1 and still won. It was the worst game they have played in the past 4 years hands down. I'm not saying Woodville is a bad team because they aren't but I have always heard you see what a team is made of from week 1 to week 2 in improvement. Good Luck to the SETX teams down the road. Look forward to Diboll and Jasper the next 2 weeks. I guess we will see how much we have improved here soon. Diboll always plays against Franklin well. And Jasper seems to be a power house.

10 hours ago, Setx fan said:

You entitled to your opinion but that doesn't make it a fact.  The fact is that both teams are way better than any team Westwood has played so far.

6 hours ago, lionpride08 said:

Franklin had 6 total fumbles and 4 lost fumbles. So yes the scores was close between Franklin and Woodville. Can't really read in to first game of the the season. Franklin had 0 turnovers the next game while Woodville seemed to turn it over to Newton. Woodville played pretty much a perfect game against Franklin and still lost while having around 3 turnovers against Newton. If Woodville played Newton as well as they did against Franklin then they would have beat Newton imo. Had Franklin not turned it over 4 times it could have very well been a 21 point game. Franklin had almost 600 yards of offense with pretty much a new O-line playing their first varsity game. But what if's don't matter and these games are in the past. I don't think people realize how bad Franklin played week 1 and still won. It was the worst game they have played in the past 4 years hands down. I'm not saying Woodville is a bad team because they aren't but I have always heard you see what a team is made of from week 1 to week 2 in improvement. Good Luck to the SETX teams down the road. Look forward to Diboll and Jasper the next 2 weeks. I guess we will see how much we have improved here soon. Diboll always plays against Franklin well. And Jasper seems to be a power house.

I don't think yall had much competition week 2. Diboll and Jasper will be interesting. I think yall will split those games with Jasper ending yalls winning streak 

3 hours ago, Setx fan said:

I don't think yall had much competition week 2. Diboll and Jasper will be interesting. I think yall will split those games with Jasper ending yalls winning streak 

They very well could. It's hard to win in Franklin. Last loss in Franklin was in 2020 with half the team out with covid.

On 9/4/2023 at 7:36 PM, TrojanWarrior08 said:

I had to do this because not too much light has been shown enough on this district and I think at least 2 teams out of this district can compete during playoff time with Woodville being one of the 2 teams (because I do believe that they will district by default unless something dramatic happens) or Coldspring and Westwood (I low-key have those 2 teams evenly matched for now but also understand that Coldspring is running a new offense so it will take time getting adjusted to.)

Yes 

20 hours ago, lionpride08 said:

True, Franklin did have a bad game. But Woodvilles game was far from perfect. A good team can find themselves in position to take advantage of turnovers, but a great team can overcome them. I believe this was a prime example of that. Good luck to yall and we pray for a injury free season.  

I still believe that Woodville, Diboll, and Coldspring will be battling it out for 1st.  If I’m honest, Woodville is the team to beat.  They looked really strong when I saw them in Diboll last season which Diboll won 21-14.  Could have gone either way.  I believe they returned a good bit.  Of course you have Coldspring who beat Diboll last year but I still left more impressed with Woodville’s capabilities.  

Palestine Westwood still has to prove they can actually be competitive against a true solid team.  They’ve had a couple weak opponents to start the season.  I believe Palmer will be the first true test to see where PW is this year.  The PW freshman QB will only get better and will be a fun one to watch.  Does he have the supporting cast? They’ve been at the bottom of the district last couple of seasons 

With what Diboll lost from graduation, it’s a toss up to where they land this year.  they’re not short of talent, just experience.  They get Coldspring and PW at home so maybe home field advantage gives them an edge