Tesla moving engineering HQ back to California

Bobcat1

WASHINGTON — Elon Musk plans to move Tesla's engineering headquarters back to California and closer to his recently acquired social media site Twitter's main campus. The billionaire CEO announced the relocation plans in a press conference Wednesday with California Gov. Gavin Newsom

17 hours ago, Bobcat1 said:

WASHINGTON — Elon Musk plans to move Tesla's engineering headquarters back to California and closer to his recently acquired social media site Twitter's main campus. The billionaire CEO announced the relocation plans in a press conference Wednesday with California Gov. Gavin Newsom

I like Musk for who he is, but his electric vehicles are a joke. California can have him. Their power grid can’t support what they have without rolling blackouts. 

2 hours ago, baddog said:

I like Musk for who he is, but his electric vehicles are a joke. California can have him. Their power grid can’t support what they have without rolling blackouts. 

All he is moving is the research division.

The global headquarters and several million square feet plant are staying in Texas. The people that think up new toys are going to CA. 

13 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

All he is moving is the research division.

The global headquarters and several million square feet plant are staying in Texas. The people that think up new toys are going to CA. 

That’s what I get for reading headlines. Of course it was right in front of me. 

4 hours ago, baddog said:

We are not near ready for full time electric cars, but I don't hate the idea. There is a video of his cyber truck backing into a parking lot and a solar panel rises from the back of the truck, goes a few feet above the truck and expands....charging vehicle while parked. Then you have the speed perk.....those motors will smoke almost any gas powered vehicle.....for a short distance lol

1 minute ago, thetragichippy said:

We are not near ready for full time electric cars, but I don't hate the idea. There is a video of his cyber truck backing into a parking lot and a solar panel rises from the back of the truck, goes a few feet above the truck and expands....charging vehicle while parked. Then you have the speed perk.....those motors will smoke almost any gas powered vehicle.....for a short distance lol

Yes they can. I have watched drag racing videos. I just don’t think they are practical and they’re very expensive. Plus, a lot of things have not been considered, like battery disposal. The anti-fossil fuel mentality is most damaging. 

20 hours ago, baddog said:

Yes they can. I have watched drag racing videos. I just don’t think they are practical and they’re very expensive. Plus, a lot of things have not been considered, like battery disposal. The anti-fossil fuel mentality is most damaging. 

Battery disposal is the scariest part of this whole clusterfudge.  If the environmentalist ever put their brains in gear and think past the nose on their faces they’ll see the inpending disaster.  Disposal?  Sure, we’ll do it cheap - then load a big boat up and dump them in the middle of Rayburn and Toledo Bend.  Oops!  Or dig a big hole and bury them - oops, there goes the ground water.  Do they even realize that water demand far exceeds air or climate control?  Already in many places there are severe water shortages, and this battery disposal is nothing but a blueprint on how to destroy our water supply.  This is insanity run amuck.  Food supply due to fish kills from dumping batteries in the Gulf and Oceans.  The problems you could list would short-circuit the NASA Computers.

11 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Battery disposal is the scariest part of this whole clusterfudge.  If the environmentalist ever put their brains in gear and think past the nose on their faces they’ll see the inpending disaster.  Disposal?  Sure, we’ll do it cheap - then load a big boat up and dump them in the middle of Rayburn and Toledo Bend.  Oops!  Or dig a big hole and bury them - oops, there goes the ground water.  Do they even realize that water demand far exceeds air or climate control?  Already in many places there are severe water shortages, and this battery disposal is nothing but a blueprint on how to destroy our water supply.  This is insanity run amuck.  Food supply due to fish kills from dumping batteries in the Gulf and Oceans.  The problems you could list would short-circuit the NASA Computers.

The only problem with your assumption is that technology is always advancing.  New disposal and/or recycling technologies will develop with the industry.  

On 2/24/2023 at 9:21 AM, baddog said:

How a joke?  He’s selling a mighty lot of them for it to be a joke.  Prices have come down from 70-100k when they were first introduced to models that now sell for around 40k.  Where has rolling blackouts because of electric vehicles been reported?

5 minutes ago, UT alum said:

How a joke?  He’s selling a mighty lot of them for it to be a joke.  Prices have come down from 70-100k when they were first introduced to models that now sell for around 40k.  Where has rolling blackouts because of electric vehicles been reported?

This is the hidden content, please

From the article:

California approved a plan last week to end the sale of new gasoline-powered cars by 2035, making it the first state to try to switch exclusively to electric and other zero-emission vehicles. 

But now state officials are telling drivers not to charge their electric cars during the upcoming Labor Day weekend, when temperatures are expected to hit triple digits for millions of residents, putting a strain on the power grid.

18 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Do you own one? Why not? What do you drive? The joke is that they will never totally replace gasoline/diesel vehicles. Also the joke part, and this is a knee slapper, the charging stations at the old Entergy building in downtown Beaumont are powered by diesel generators. Hydro-electric accounts for about 7% of total electric power in the US. Where in the heck does everyone think their electricity comes from. Don’t forget, the leftys hate coal too. Not sure how they feel about nuclear…..or nucular as Bush would say.

8 minutes ago, baddog said:

Do you own one? Why not? What do you drive? The joke is that they will never totally replace gasoline/diesel vehicles. Also the joke part, and this is a knee slapper, the charging stations at the old Entergy building in downtown Beaumont are powered by diesel generators. Hydro-electric accounts for about 7% of total electric power in the US. Where in the heck does everyone think their electricity comes from. Don’t forget, the leftys hate coal too. Not sure how they feel about nuclear…..or nucular as Bush would say.

EV drivers should look into the impact they are having on the Congolese people so they can drive their eco-friendly toy.

20 minutes ago, UT alum said:

The only problem with your assumption is that technology is always advancing.  New disposal and/or recycling technologies will develop with the industry.  

“Will develop” is not very reassuring at this moment.

If this was anything other than an anti-fossil fuel and money making scam/agenda, this concept would be blistered by the left.

Like, WHAT DO MEAN that we will find an answer at some point in the future!!? Oh, it’s a green new deal item? EXCELLENT!!

I don’t think anyone has a problem with an economical electric vehicle. Heck, why not more economical than oil based? Maybe in the future a way can be invented that makes EVs virtually free to run off of some new free electric energy source. I (and probably everyone else) would personally love a vehicle with almost no fuel cost.

That isn’t in the near future however. Forcing a technology that is not ready and will currently do more harm than good under the heading of, it will eventually develop, would never be accepted except as part of a green new deal fiasco.

This goes under the cliches like, throwing the baby out with the bath water and cutting your nose off to spite your face. 

3 minutes ago, baddog said:

That is very sad. Slave labor at its finest, but not a peep.

It is sad, but it’s used in cell phones as well, even though EVs have surpassed cell phone usage already and will continue to explode.  You would think the manufacturers would demand modern mining practices but look at the diamond industry.

You could lump in lots of industries that have outsourced labor overseas, I guess.

57 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Have to agree with @tvc184, the words “will develop” doesn’t give me a warm fuzzy feeling.  Before you almost surely endanger all the waters on earth, you need to know there’s a 100% sure solution to battery disposal.  Hopefully these Environmentalists will realize this before they kill off humanity.

3 hours ago, Hagar said:

Have to agree with @tvc184, the words “will develop” doesn’t give me a warm fuzzy feeling.  Before you almost surely endanger all the waters on earth, you need to know there’s a 100% sure solution to battery disposal.  Hopefully these Environmentalists will realize this before they kill off humanity.

Oh, you mean the way it used to be legal to dump salt water in the woods until injection technology came along to displace it? Nothing’s 100%. If it had to be, nothing would advance.

4 hours ago, tvc184 said:

“Will develop” is not very reassuring at this moment.

If this was anything other than an anti-fossil fuel and money making scam/agenda, this concept would be blistered by the left.

Like, WHAT DO MEAN that we will find an answer at some point in the future!!? Oh, it’s a green new deal item? EXCELLENT!!

I don’t think anyone has a problem with an economical electric vehicle. Heck, why not more economical than oil based? Maybe in the future a way can be invented that makes EVs virtually free to run off of some new free electric energy source. I (and probably everyone else) would personally love a vehicle with almost no fuel cost.

That isn’t in the near future however. Forcing a technology that is not ready and will currently do more harm than good under the heading of, it will eventually develop, would never be accepted except as part of a green new deal fiasco.

This goes under the cliches like, throwing the baby out with the bath water and cutting your nose off to spite your face. 

See my answer to Hagar.

4 hours ago, baddog said:

I’m a lefty and I think nucular is a viable alternative.

4 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

This is the hidden content, please

From the article:

California approved a plan last week to end the sale of new gasoline-powered cars by 2035, making it the first state to try to switch exclusively to electric and other zero-emission vehicles. 

But now state officials are telling drivers not to charge their electric cars during the upcoming Labor Day weekend, when temperatures are expected to hit triple digits for millions of residents, putting a strain on the power grid.

Noted. That’s a supply problem, though. The national grids are all pretty much outdated. Some worse than others, i.e. ERCOT.

17 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Oh, you mean the way it used to be legal to dump salt water in the woods until injection technology came along to displace it? Nothing’s 100%. If it had to be, nothing would advance.

Comparing that to the millions (billions) of batteries to be dumped, is like comparing Steinhagen to the Pacific Ocean.

12 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Ya’ll sound like the old buggy whip makers who railed against the notion that an automobile could ever replace the horse. Tempus fugit, whether your watch stops or not.

Roads could have been a factor in that comment, ya think? Solid rubber tires on a muddy horse and buggy trail wouldn’t have seemed workable, but then I’m just guessing. Most people have been skeptical on new technology. Goes all the way back to the wheel. 

14 hours ago, UT alum said:

Ya’ll sound like the old buggy whip makers who railed against the notion that an automobile could ever replace the horse. Tempus fugit, whether your watch stops or not.

We are in reality days and you are wanting to end reality for technology that doesn’t exist and will not for a long time.

We aren’t trading a horse and buggy for an automobile.  We are only changing the propulsion. 

Let me know when you get this all EV public which can charge a car quickly, without shutting down the power grid and also do so relatively economically. It will be decades so I won’t live to see it. 

Mankind has been thinking of space travel since the late 1800s. Robert Goddard got a patent for a liquid fueled rocket in 1914. It took 12 years to actually launch a rocket and almost 40 years to get rudimentary rockets built to get a man into space. Then another decade to get us to the Moon and that was spurred by an intense race between super power governments dumping trillions in today’s money to get there.

It took another 13 years to get the Space Shuttle flying in 1982.

So it took about 100 years of planning and development to pull it off routine space travel. 

You are claiming to be ready to put the international space station in orbit but in reality you are in about 1955. 

Feel free to explain how we will get around for the next 15-25 years while this non-existent technology is hopefully developed.

This is a horse and buggy discussion but you are the one in the buggy while claiming you are about to get into space travel.