4A #3 Silsbee 52 5A #9 Lufkin 66/FINAL

I enjoyed watching the game. Silsbee has some dawgs on that team. Liked what I saw from #15 the PG. Those guys harassed Lufkin backcourt all night. This game is just what we needed. Silsbee came out and punched Lufkin in the mouth. Think they were up 9 or 11-0 to start the game and lead the entire first half. I figured Lufkin would have to adjust to playing a team that has some athletes. Lufkin knows what they need to work on now to get better.  Austin Brown was held to 2 points the first half. I can tell Silsbee had scouted him. Had someone in his face from the start. Done much better the second. Prob ended up with about 20 points. 

Lufkin run actually started after the starting center and guard were injured. Walker eventually returned in the 4th qtr. Much respect to Silsbee. Can't really see a lot weaknesses in that team. I think #1 should be more aggressive though. That guy can pretty much get his shot when he wants. Hope you guys get healthy soon. I'll be pulling for you.

19 minutes ago, Tigers94 said:

How do you even allow a 21 - 0 run to happen? That's just plain bad.

Hopefully we'll at least be 7 - 11 heading to Arkansas. Prefer 8 - 10 but that might be too much.

Silsbee had some turnovers and Lufkin knocked down a couple of big threes. All the momentum swung back to Lufkin. 

43 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

They are in region II so they will have to deal with #1 Dallas Kimball, #8 Lancaster, #10 Frisco Wakeland, #11 Frisco Memorial, #12 Frisco Liberty, #14 Dallas South Oak Cliff, #18 Mount Pleasant, #20 Midlothian, #23 Forney and #24 Red Oak.

Easy to say that will 11 top 25 teams in that region, it will be a monumental task to make it to SA out of that region.

Mansfield Summit is also good. Those schools have the advantage of playing each other and getting better. Silsbee will be the closest thing we see to any of those guys until playoff time. The only marque game left on our schedule is a road trip to #15 A&M Consolidated. We Aslo have the New Caney tournament coming up. Not sure what other teams will be in that.

We made it to the 4th round last year until Kimball knocked us out. I think Lufkin one or two players away from being able to challenge Kimball or Lancaster. We need another tall wing player that can contribute. Someone similar to #1 for Silsbee. We have a 6'4 guy on the bench thats talented. But he just a soph and hasn't earn the coaches trust yet. 

40 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

They are in region II so they will have to deal with #1 Dallas Kimball, #8 Lancaster, #10 Frisco Wakeland, #11 Frisco Memorial, #12 Frisco Liberty, #14 Dallas South Oak Cliff, #18 Mount Pleasant, #20 Midlothian, #23 Forney and #24 Red Oak.

Easy to say that will 11 top 25 teams in that region, it will be a monumental task to make it to SA out of that region.

Yep. Region 11 is acid strong. Lufkin will need some breaks and some luck. Not impossible but Kimball is in the way. 

3 hours ago, no-look said:

Yep. Region 11 is acid strong. Lufkin will need some breaks and some luck. Not impossible but Kimball is in the way. 

Don't want to digress too far, but all this reg 2 talk got me thinking about FW OD Wyatt. I checked and they are in region 1. They could conceivably make it to SA.  Maybe even win it all.

2 hours ago, Kountzer said:

Don't want to digress too far, but all this reg 2 talk got me thinking about FW OD Wyatt. I checked and they are in region 1. They could conceivably make it to SA.  Maybe even win it all.

I was just talking to a buddy of mine about Wyatt on Friday. 

1 hour ago, ST413 said:

The Tigers record at this point doesnt worry me much.  What is a little concerning is our struggle to put up points.  We know the way we play we are going to give up some easy buckets but we are also supposed to get a lot of them as well.

I agree. Of the games I have seen so far, we are not shooting it very well. If I would have to guess, we are shooting less than 42% from the field and less than 20% from 3 point line (I know I have personally seen at least a dozen air balls from 3 land). Only good thing has been free throw shooting.

It's not just shots from the perimeter but also shots underneath. Several layups missed.

I believe that the extended football season coupled with this very very tough schedule to start (at least 9 state ranked teams along with a couple of others that had been ranked, all higher classification except Dallas Madison) has proved to be a much bigger task for this Silsbee team.

I believe the Tigers will be fine in the end. My fear is that this stretch of play (playing poor against very high quality opponents) may cause some bad habits. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I agree. Of the games I have seen so far, we are not shooting it very well. If I would have to guess, we are shooting less than 42% from the field and less than 20% from 3 point line (I know I have personally seen at least a dozen air balls from 3 land). Only good thing has been free throw shooting.

It's not just shots from the perimeter but also shots underneath. Several layups missed.

I believe that the extended football season coupled with this very very tough schedule to start (at least 9 state ranked teams along with a couple of others that had been ranked, all higher classification except Dallas Madison) has proved to be a much bigger task for this Silsbee team.

I believe the Tigers will be fine in the end. My fear is that this stretch of play (playing poor against very high quality opponents) may cause some bad habits. Time will tell.

Agree! Last years football season only went 11 games. The basketball team was pretty much set by the 1st game or 2nd game. The outside shooting has been very bad. They will get better. I think this could have been the toughest none district schedule in the state. 

Just now, Charles in Charge said:

Silsbee will be beating everyone in the district by 40 very soon.

Some, not all.

LC-M is very capable of beating Silsbee.

I like how Vidor is playing right now. I don't see a 40 point blow out when those two meet.

Jasper will match Silsbee's athleticism and if Silsbee has a terrible night shooting, could be much closer than folks might think.

WO-S, BC and Lumberton could very well get 40 pieced.

I havent seen any of these other teams play but I will say this, games like fridays may be what this group needs right now to get some of that swag back.  A game where if they come and play they should have fun doing so and not a lot of pressure.  Get some of that mojo going and start to build on it.  Then get at least a little break time during these holidays although i know it wont be much with the tourney in Arkansas and start building that momentum..   If we get it going i think the surprises may be just how well the Tigers handle district,  if we dont get it going well it may not be near the season anyone expects.

1 hour ago, whsalum said:

I was very impressed with Lufkin last week over at HJ’s tournament. #1 was almost perfect from behind the arc, the big kid on the block was very impressive and their 2 guards handled pressure really well. 

#1 is a Austin Brown 6'7 SG/SF freshman, #14 6'6 Brandon Walker F/C the big man, and #3 O'Ryan Hart 6'0 Guard, #0 Camari Taylor 5'10 Guard

2 hours ago, whsalum said:

I was very impressed with Lufkin last week over at HJ’s tournament. #1 was almost perfect from behind the arc, the big kid on the block was very impressive and their 2 guards handled pressure really well. 

His shot wasn't falling last night. He got it going getting rebounds and some tough baskets down low. Silsbee also had their #1 guarding him some. He had to adjust and contribute other ways. Backcourt is usually pretty solid. They had more turnovers than usual this game. Most of it because they were having trouble with Silsbee pressing full court and trapping. I think Lufkin will be a better team, because of this game. I wanted to see how they would respond to a physical team. Much respect to Silsbee. Both teams played hard and the game was physical. No cheap shots or smack talking. Just two teams going at each other.

Is the Silsbee Qb any kin to one of the guards on the team? Thought I heard a similar last name.

1 minute ago, Timeout said:

His shot wasn't falling last night. He got it going getting rebounds and some tough baskets down low. Silsbee also had their #1 guarding him some. He had to adjust and contribute other ways. Backcourt is usually pretty solid. They had more turnovers than usual this game. Most of it because they were having trouble with Silsbee pressing full court and trapping. I think Lufkin will be a better team, because of this game. I wanted to see how they would respond to a physical team. Much respect to Silsbee. Both teams played hard and the game was physical. No cheap shots or smack talking. Just two teams going at each other.

Is the Silsbee Qb any kin to one of the guards on the team? Thought I heard a similar last name.

Silsbee QB doesn't play basketball but his twin brother who was a WR on the football team does play.