Port Neches-Groves vs LBJ Austin

Reagan

Who wins?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/19/2022 at 01:00 AM

Just now, 1970 said:

Sorry if I sounded, like, snarky. 

The statement that you reacted to is something that I actually said at the beginning of the season, before game 1. With so many seniors, and returning starters, two very good QBs, more good receivers than I can count, a big and athletic OL, and strong RBs, pretty much the same with the defense, and what appears to be a good coaching staff, I commented somewhere (not on this forum, I haven't been here very long), that "if PNG doesn't at least get to the championship game this season, then they are missing a good chance".  With almost everybody back and somewhat healthy, except for the RB Reed, I think that they still have a good chance. We'll see, of course, beginning this Friday.  

That’s fair. 

Just watched LBJ vs Pflugerville Weiss. The one solid win they had on the year. If I was PNG I would give LBJ a solid dose of Adams and Hebert power run game mixed in with short passes to prosperie and guarnere. With PNG big Oline they should average like 4/5 yds a carry against a speedy smallish LBJ dline. LBJ is not faster than FBM or PAM.  I think United even looks faster. LBJ is good but very beatable by PNG as long as they shoot themselves in the foot with stupid mistakes or turnovers 

On 11/13/2022 at 9:03 PM, 1970 said:

Why is LBJ ranked so far down the list(s)? If they are really so big and bad and fast, then it shouldn't be any worse than playing FBM at noon in a sauna in Fort Bend with their refs, and spotting them 14 points. 

LBJ is a 4A school that the Austin ISD asked the UIL to play in 5A.  They only have 35 players and far less than 1000 students about 800 and should be a top 3 4A D1 team.

So in 5a D2 there are 118 teams.  Dave Campbell has computer rankings for them all. Austin LBJ's Opponents have the following ranks-see below. 

Lowly Nederland "47th ranked" would have won 7 out of 8 of these district games.  These teams are among the worst in 5a D2.  I'm not impressed with LBJ at all.  Not saying they aren't good but this is why they aren't ranked higher. 

Weiss-46th in 6a

Manor 81st in 6a

Navarro 112

Travis 114

LASA 117

Eastside 118

Northeast 98

Mcallum 64

Crockett 61

Playoff game Elgin 68

52 minutes ago, dme1111 said:

So in 5a D2 there are 118 teams.  Dave Campbell has computer rankings for them all. Austin LBJ's Opponents have the following ranks-see below. 

Lowly Nederland "47th ranked" would have won 7 out of 8 of these district games.  These teams are among the worst in 5a D2.  I'm not impressed with LBJ at all.  Not saying they aren't good but this is why they aren't ranked higher. 

Weiss-46th in 6a

Manor 81st in 6a

Navarro 112

Travis 114

LASA 117

Eastside 118

Northeast 98

Mcallum 64

Crockett 61

Playoff game Elgin 68

They're either gonna prove they can live up to the stats or they are about to get exposed. I'm curious where PNG stands in those rankings.

LBJ should be playing 4A football but the AISD does not care about winning a state title.  LBJ has less than 100 players in football program and only has about 35 on varsity and usually has to combine 9th and JV.  They have played far better teams than PNG.  Dallas Private school that also beat Aledo and nearly beat SOC and 6A Manor and beat 6A Weiss.  LBJ does not have the numbers to make a run in 5A much less in region 3 as opposed to their weaker region 4.  PNG should take them down.

1 hour ago, Dtrain said:

LBJ should be playing 4A football but the AISD does not care about winning a state title.  LBJ has less than 100 players in football program and only has about 35 on varsity and usually has to combine 9th and JV.  They have played far better teams than PNG.  Dallas Private school that also beat Aledo and nearly beat SOC and 6A Manor and beat 6A Weiss.  LBJ does not have the numbers to make a run in 5A much less in region 3 as opposed to their weaker region 4.  PNG should take them down.

100% false.. PNG played a top ten  5a d1 team in PA memorial, They played the second ranked team in Fort Bend Marshall.  Texas city, Dayton, Nederland, Willow brook, and Galena park are all more highly rated than the vast majority of LBJ's district.  There is no comparison in strength of schedule.  I am still not convinced PNG will win.  LBJ is legit. They probably have more overall talent than PNG athletically.    Like you are saying, It could come down to numbers.  

1 hour ago, dme1111 said:

100% false.. PNG played a top ten  5a d1 team in PA memorial, They played the second ranked team in Fort Bend Marshall.  Texas city, Dayton, Nederland, Willow brook, and Galena park are all more highly rated than the vast majority of LBJ's district.  There is no comparison in strength of schedule.  I am still not convinced PNG will win.  LBJ is legit. They probably have more overall talent than PNG athletically.    Like you are saying, It could come down to numbers.  

Non district is tougher and I stated PNG should win based on depth.  Reading comprehension.  Jags should be in 4a but AISD is sorrty.

FBM was in a pathetic district prior to this year and routinely went deep in the playoffs.  We know PNG is in a tougher district.  I don’t see what difference that makes come Friday.   I’m still taking LBJ.     They played 6 playoff games last year, so I’m sure they understand that the cakewalk is over.  

2 hours ago, dme1111 said:

PNG played a top ten  5a d1 team in PA memorial, They played the second ranked team in Fort Bend Marshall. 

Don't forget about a lil 4a d2 team that was ranked #4 until PNG showed us up. 

And to simplify your numbers above. Maxpreps has strength of schedule

PNG  18.3

LBJ    -1.5

The few times I’ve seen LBJ, they look like WO-S teams from years past to me.   Fast and physical.  PNG is no stranger to WOS and their style of play.

If PNG can tackle well in space and limit the big play they will be in it to the end.

They need to come out and be the more physical of the 2, hit them in the mouth, and see how LBJ handles playing from behind and manages some adversity.  

34 minutes ago, png9mon said:

Question: Our pngindians.com Talk Site says the game is a 7pm tonight.  The tickets & LBJ Austin site say 7:30pm.  Mis-Print, Mis-Communication.  I know the game at Legacy, next to Rhodes, is at 7pm.  Clarification please!

I'm planning for 7. If it turns out to be 7:30 then no problem. 

11 hours ago, MackLewis said:

The few times I’ve seen LBJ, they look like WO-S teams from years past to me.   Fast and physical.  PNG is no stranger to WOS and their style of play.

If PNG can tackle well in space and limit the big play they will be in it to the end.

They need to come out and be the more physical of the 2, hit them in the mouth, and see how LBJ handles playing from behind and manages some adversity.  

Play keep away. Solid ground game. Tire out that defense. Doesn't look like they play too much.