Is it time for 1 High school in Beaumont?

HtxFBGuru

Open enrollment back in the 2000s is a big reason for West Brook's surge in football. I was zoned to Central because I grew up and lived in the north end but open enrollment made transferring to Brook easy.

A lot of star WB guys back in the 2000s would have been at Ozen and Central if zoned schools were mandatory at the time. 

5 minutes ago, wbfan said:

Open enrollment back in the 2000s is a big reason for West Brook's surge in football. I was zoned to Central because I grew up and lived in the north end but open enrollment made transferring to Brook easy.

A lot of star WB guys back in the 2000s would have been at Ozen and Central if zoned schools were mandatory at the time. 

Truth.  But I was referring to open enrollment in surrounding districts.  For 1K you can go to HJ, HF, EC and maybe a few others.  Now I don't think you can play varsity your 1st year but the next year I believe you can. 

34 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Truth.  But I was referring to open enrollment in surrounding districts.  For 1K you can go to HJ, HF, EC and maybe a few others.  Now I don't think you can play varsity your 1st year but the next year I believe you can. 

Silsbee, Vidor and WoS do not charge for open enrollment. LCM is 1500 i believe. 

9 hours ago, wbfan said:

True Christian Michaels comes to mind lol..

In my honest opinion I think you guys are kind of blowing this one season out of proportion. Yes WB and United aren't the best but lets look at it

WB was playing for a 6A state championship in 2018?? and the years before that Im not sure you could name me 10 teams in the state of Texas with overall team talent (not talking about wins, I'm talking about talent). Those WB teams from 2005 to 2011 were all loaded with insane talent 

Central was a known through Texas for the talent and speed they produced. What they lacked on the interior they more then made up for with athleticism. Stowers always had them at least two rounds deep other than that 03 and 09 season.  The talent on those Central teams was undeniable 

Ozen always produced top athletes, Honestly imo that side of town always produced the best athletes in Beaumont and I was born on the Northside of Beaumont off Magnolia and Hale. And alot of the athletes from the Pear Orchard, Southend and Avenues found their way to Westbrook but still and all Ozen was still tough and always produced .

Basically what I'm saying is most schools even your most consistent programs go through rough patches.  Its a cycle, I wouldn't sweat a few bad seasons

11 hours ago, Austin1985 said:

This what I see.  With the 6A cutoff number constantly going up, that means all the other cutoff numbers go up as well.  So, no, I don't see Lumberton or any surround school this side of the Trinity going up a class unless it's by district merger.  There is simply no growth, no new roads and if there's any growth in BISD, there's the cancer of a Bob Hope or some other charter school syphoning kids of all stripes away from the district........

I've been hearing about 'growth' in lumberton for years and they haven't budged as far as their adm is concerned

Except for the last couple of years. According to the numbers they're only about 65 students away.

lumberton-high-school-chart-br9n4Yh.webp

Again all you have to is drive an hour up the road & look at the blueprint in Galena Park ISD the reason I know it can be done and chose this district in particular is because they’re servicing more students than BISD while having a similar economic status & student demographic as BISD.

Create one high school with several diff campuses but of course keep your early college high school.

Have a 9th grade campus, a 10th grade campus & a senior high that only house 11th & 12th graders. This can be done easily with the amount of campuses that BISD has access to especially if you don’t want to spend the money to build an entire new school.

For middle schools you only need two instead of the current five that’s in place…those two middle schools will house 7th & 8th graders only. For 6th graders they’ll all be housed at one campus & that’ll be your designated 6th grade campus.

Of course there’s some logistics that would have to be worked out however this CAN BE DONE & most importantly NEEDS to be done. Especially if BISD plans to compete at a high level in athletics. People just have to get out of this small town mindset and be open minded to change & evolving it’s needed for the community.

On 10/1/2022 at 11:46 AM, bullets13 said:

Where do you put the school? The west end Wandas aren’t sending their kids over to the pear orchard, and I don’t even want to talk about the very valid firestorm that would erupt if you start trying to bus kids of color 30 minutes across town to the west Brook campus, which is the only BISD property that could logistically support a high school with almost 5,000 kids.  

Ummm you're talking completely out of your arse on all of this. West Brook is already majority black and Hispanic, so what you're trying to say about the demographics not going to school on one side of town is completely bogus. Also, West Brook couldn't hold that many students. There is no campus that exists in the city that could hold that many kids. A new campus would have to be constructed. 

The answer, clearly, is to add more schools.  Not consolidate.  I think BISD should instead invest in having twelve 3A schools. Or eighteen 2A schools.  Yes.. definitely that.

Or.. not do anything.  United has shown (obviously) to be extremely successful in basketball.  That doesn't translate to football just like having good football teams doesn't always translate to being good in other sports.  

4 hours ago, _4_0_9_ said:

Ummm you're talking completely out of your arse on all of this. West Brook is already majority black and Hispanic, so what you're trying to say about the demographics not going to school on one side of town is completely bogus. Also, West Brook couldn't hold that many students. There is no campus that exists in the city that could hold that many kids. A new campus would have to be constructed. 

Ummm, you clearly don't know how things work in Beaumont, and in BISD.  I worked for the district for 15 years, how many years have you put in?  My statements have nothing to do with the demographics of West Brook or Beaumont United, and everything to do with the neighborhoods those schools are located in.