Teen rape victim to pay 150k

5GallonBucket

Yes, the judicial system has to be better. There’s always a way around things, but you have to have a DA that is willing to play ball.  Personally, I would have taken it to a grand jury and told them, if you want to find this was self defense, which looks to be an extremely reasonable inference, I wouldn’t blame you.  Grand juries typically do exactly what the DA wants.  In other words, you hit the nail on the head 5gallon.

What appears to be facts:

She was a runaway and was living in apartments in the hallways, etc.

She claims to have been kidnapped and forced into prostitution. Maybe true, maybe not. Her guy/pimp/abductor was wrong in any case and if alive, should be put into prison for many years. From the articles I have read, including this one, it is her alibi as told only by her. Uhhhh…. He forced me into this.

She confessed to the murder, saying that the man was asleep. When she got up to kill him, she likely could have walked away.  Her own statement was that she got up, got a knife and stabbed him 30 times, sometimes in the groin area. That makes it sound like anger instead of self defense.

Understandable? Probably but it is hardly like he was attacking her and she grabbed a knife and it got out of hand.

She could have taken her case to a trial but chose to plead guilty. Although confessing to and charged with Murder, she was allowed to plead guilty to two lesser charges. Instead of sentencing her to prison, the judge gave her probation only and then for only five years.

As the judge noted, while being held in juvenile detention she had issues with violating the rules. She apparently doesn’t work and play well with others.

Iowa law calls for any guilty verdict in a death to also carry a mandatory minimum of $150,000 restitution to the family of the deceased. The judge gave her the absolute minimum under the law.

1. She chose to run away.

2. She chose to sleep among adults and possibly to let men abuse her to survive.

3. She claimed that one man in particular was her captor.

4. She claimed that she waited until he was asleep and confessed to murdering him instead of trying to leave.

5. She could have taken it to a jury  but chose to plead guilty for only five years probation where the judge appears to have sentenced her as lightly as the law allows.

I have read hundreds of comments on Facebook where the system is broken, the judge was corrupt, they charged her while she defended herself, etc.

Do we really know what happened? No since we can’t read the case file. Her attorney certainly did.

I read the applicable Alabama law and it doesn’t appear that she was a valid self defense claim. Her own confession said that she was not being attacked. I read the law of mandatory compensation for the dead guy’s family.

It seems the judge took all of that into consideration and gave her the bare minimum allowed. 

EDIT: Tpyo only. 

38 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

There was a choice…starting with the DA

Sure, the DA could probably have not agreed to the guilty plea which was likely a deal.

She had a choice not to confess.

She had the choice to a trial by jury but pleaded guilty. 

The judge had the choice of not showing leniency.

And so on…..

44 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

What appears to be facts:

Sue was a runaway and was living in apartments in the hallways, etc.

She claims to have been kidnapped and forced into prostitution. Maybe true, maybe not. Her guy/pimp/abductor was wrong in any case and if alive, should be put into prison for many years. From the articles I have read, including this one, it is her alibi as told only by her. Uhhhh…. He forced me into this.

She confessed to the murder, saying that the man was asleep. When she got up to kill him, she likely could have walked away.  Her own statement was that she got up, got a knife and stabbed him 30 times, sometimes in the groin area. That makes it sound like anger instead of self defense.

Understandable? Probably but it is hardly like he was attacking her and she grabbed a knife and it got out of hand.

She could have taken her case to a trial but chose to plead guilty. Although confessing to and charged with Murder, she was allowed to plead guilty to two lesser charges. Instead of sentencing her to prison, the judge gave her probation only and then for only five years.

As the judge noted, while being held in juvenile detention she had issues with violating the rules. She apparently doesn’t work and play well with others.

Iowa law calls for any guilty verdict in a death to also carry a mandatory minimum of $150,000 restitution to the family of the deceased. The judge gave her the absolute minimum under the law.

1. She chose to run away.

2. She chose to sleep among adults and possibly to let men abuse her to survive.

3. She claimed that one man in particular was her captor.

4. She claimed that she waited until he was asleep and confessed to murdering him instead of trying to leave.

5. She could have taken it to a jury  but chose to plead guilty for only five years probation where the judge appears to have sentenced her as lightly as the law allows.

I have read hundreds of comments on Facebook where the system is broken, the judge was corrupt, they charged her while she defended herself, etc.

Do we really know what happened? No since we can’t read the case file. Her attorney certainly did.

I read the applicable Alabama law and it doesn’t appear that she was a valid self defense claim. Her own confession said that she was not being attacked. I read the law of mandatory compensation for the dead guy’s family.

It seems the judge took all of that into consideration and gave her the bare minimum allowed. 

Thanks for the additional info.  Makes a little more sense than the article portrayed.  What a shocker 

15 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Sure, the DA could probably have not agreed to the guilty plea which was likely a deal.

She had a choice not to confess.

She had the choice to a trial by jury but pleaded guilty. 

The judge had the choice of not showing leniency.

And so on…..

I get it, but giving what’s goin on in the country of law and order…..we have an every growing pattern in this country that is changing the landscape.

What’s your thoughts on this new Safe T act for Illinois? 

Things just seem to favor criminals more and more each year and not favor law abiding citizens.

1 hour ago, 5GallonBucket said:

I get it, but giving what’s goin on in the country of law and order…..we have an every growing pattern in this country that is changing the landscape.

What’s your thoughts on this new Safe T act for Illinois? 

Things just seem to favor criminals more and more each year and not favor law abiding citizens.

We have a growing pattern but this girl’s story isn’t part of it.

The Safe T act is pure Democratic insanity.

First they called the police out of high crime areas such as in Baltimore and Minneapolis and are they shocked that crime soared. 

Next they defunded and still trying to defund the police and are shocked that crime has soared. 

Now in Illinois they are going to completely eliminate cash bail. You will see no more…. bail was set at $10,000 for felony drug sales. A person will either be held in jail to await trial or simply be released. Even for violent crimes, a judge had to hold a hearing to determine if the person needs to be held until trial or simply released. 

So for the crimes of kidnapping, 2nd degree murder (probably without premeditation such as killing somebody in a bar fight), robbery, drug induced homicide, burglary (breaking into someone’s home), assault with serious injuries, etc., a judge has to have a hearing to determine if there are other circumstances (other than the murder, kidnapping, felony assault, breaking into people’s homes, etc that they committed) that would make him/her think that the person is a danger.

So…… if you kidnap or murder someone, that doesn’t automatically mean you are a threat to the public.

Gee, what can go wrong?

The country has seen and is about to really see what happens when you make the police out to be the bad guy and criminals as victims of being misunderstood. 

Every time something stupid happens such as in the last few years (federal judges don’t know what different sexes are, criminals don’t need to be held in jail, it is okay for teachers to discuss with 8 year old children the pros and cons of having a sex change, some people are born racist by skin color, etc) and you think, nothing will be worse than this…. but then we have things like the Safe T act that leaves us thinking, what next?