What #4 seed has the best chance of upsetting a #1 seed in Bi-District?

I look at a lot of these games and I see so many mismatches when it comes to this round. I think it's the downfall of letting four teams in. But I get it for the kids, it's always a great experience to go to the playoffs and a chance to maybe upset a team. I love high school basketball but don't always get a chance to follow all the districts. Just thought this might be a fun topic and a chance to learn about a #4 team that has a chance to move on. 

9 minutes ago, PrairieMan said:

I look at a lot of these games and I see so many mismatches when it comes to this round. I think it's the downfall of letting four teams in. But I get it for the kids, it's always a great experience to go to the playoffs and a chance to maybe upset a team. I love high school basketball but don't always get a chance to follow all the districts. Just thought this might be a fun topic and a chance to learn about a #4 team that has a chance to move on. 

WOS vs HJ, only because HJ has had the great misfortune of being without their best player for the second year in a row for bi-district.  I still like the Hawks, don’t get me wrong, but if that “A game” Mustang team decides to show up, this definitely could be an upset special.  

10 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

WOS vs HJ, only because HJ has had the great misfortune of being without their best player for the second year in a row for bi-district.  I still like the Hawks, don’t get me wrong, but if that “A game” Mustang team decides to show up, this definitely could be an upset special.  

I agree with this statement. Matchup wise HJ would match up better with both Orangefield and LCM than they do with WOS. I do like the choice of venue for HJ, it’s shooter friendly. I think the Hawks win and advance but it should be a good game. I don’t think they’ll get caught looking past anyone this year. It’s a crying shame a player will finish his career without playing in back to back years. Sad deal 

As far as our coverage area, I would say these following #4 seeds has the best chance of pulling off the upset:

#4 CE King vs. Dobie

#4 WO-S vs. #1 HJ

#4 Woodville vs. #1 Diboll

#4 Huntington vs. #1 Buna

I am picking HJ and Buna to win their games but I think Woodville will beat Diboll. Diboll is without their best player like HJ is but I think Hardin-Jefferson will have enough to hold off WO-S. Diboll without that PG will struggle with Woodville's defense. Also, CE King has a good shot at beating Pasadena Dobie. King seems more battle tested and has played well these last few games, knocking off Summer Creek and Kingwood.

33 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

That's a good one. They do seem to matchup well with HJ. It's a shame that injuries have to play a part. Always want to see the best of each team line it up. That being said, it's rare that HJ doesn't show up prepared to play no matter who is available. 

I'm thinking CE King over Dobie. That's totally from the outside looking in as I've not had the chance to watch either of them play this year. Just going based off of the district's each are coming from. 

10 minutes ago, PrairieMan said:

That's a good one. They do seem to matchup well with HJ. It's a shame that injuries have to play a part. Always want to see the best of each team line it up. That being said, it's rare that HJ doesn't show up prepared to play no matter who is available. 

I'm thinking CE King over Dobie. That's totally from the outside looking in as I've not had the chance to watch either of them play this year. Just going based off of the district's each are coming from. 

I agree. I can see King beating Dobie. Going to add that one to my list.

BTW, injuries has nothing to do with HJ and Diboll being without their best players.

1 hour ago, whsalum said:

I agree with this statement. Matchup wise HJ would match up better with both Orangefield and LCM than they do with WOS. I do like the choice of venue for HJ, it’s shooter friendly. I think the Hawks win and advance but it should be a good game. I don’t think they’ll get caught looking past anyone this year. It’s a crying shame a player will finish his career without playing in back to back years. Sad deal 

I agree.  This is a tougher matchup than last year, but I agree with you that , conversely, the Hawks won’t be overlooking anyone this year.  And I agree it’s a sad deal for HJ and the kid.  We often say that sports mirror life; and sometimes neither is “fair.”

1 hour ago, Jack of All Trades said:

Mustangs, Mustangs, Mustangs for the win.  HJ is really good but Wardlow and Pappillion are too big for the Hawks.  It will be a good game put the defensive pressure and rebounding will be the difference and this favors the Mustangs!!!

I agree that WOS has the manpower to be in this game and even win it.  But do they have the composure, the mental toughness?  At some point HJ will make a run.  When that happens will WOS rise to the occasion or will they fall apart?  It could go either way.  The Mustangs could win a close game or lose by 25.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I agree. I can see King beating Dobie. Going to add that one to my list.

BTW, injuries has nothing to do with HJ and Diboll being without their best players.

Oh wow, I knew last year's HJ situation wasn't due to injury (I was at Dayton for that one) but I did not know that this year's situation wasn't either. I certainly don't want to dive into that topic either. I will adjust my statement then. 

It's a shame that injuries and "other" factors have to play a part. ALWAYS want to see the best of each team line it up.