Barbay leaving Jasper

AggiesAreWe

17 minutes ago, chefkland76 said:

That's also what I'm hearing from some of my sources. It is his if the $$$ is right!! Don't know what his salary is now but to come home and take over the program that you once played from and to possibly take Jasper back to being a top team!! Would be a pretty awesome accomplishment!!!

His offense and Bronson's defense would be a formidable combo. I don't think it would come together right away, but you never know. 

I see this going one of two ways for Jasper with this choice :

1) He isn’t able to bring the discipline and fundamentals required to win at a smaller level outside of that Houston area talent where you can just roll the ball out and play and the program slides downhill

2) He does well for a couple of seasons and then take a job at one of the many likely openings at large schools in the growing area outside of Houston 

3 hours ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

I am not excited whatsoever, but less than 12 hours from now.....

So today's the day ? I hope Jasper gets their guy,  it will do their program some good. They could use a young energetic coach

I wasn't ever sold on Barbay being that great of a coach and always felt he got the job because of his last name.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

So today's the day ? I hope Jasper gets their guy,  it will do their program some good. They could use a young energetic coach

I wasn't ever sold on Barbay being that great of a coach and always felt he got the job because of his last name.

What a BS thing for you to say after he has already gone. The community really seemed to support him a few years back when the board tried to run him out of town. If I remember correctly, he kept his job because of the ground swell of community support in his favor. You must've still been suckling teet back then. 

25 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

What a BS thing for you to say after he has already gone. The community really seemed to support him a few years back when the board tried to run him out of town. If I remember correctly, he kept his job because of the ground swell of community support in his favor. You must've still been suckling teet back then. 

Sorry but that's how I see it. Answer this question HONESTLY : Would  he get the Jasper job in the first place  if he didn't have the same last name as a legend ?

I had been weened from the teet for almost 50 years. I still dabble with teets a lil' bit but more as a hobby.  I tried to launch a full scale comeback but the wifes not cooperating

57 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

I always felt like he was supported by the community as well, but I wasn't surprised at all when he left. Sometimes, it's just best to start fresh in a different place. There was some criticism about his ability to adapt schemes to defenses, but there weren't many people that wanted him gone. It seems like he felt like he hit what he thought was the ceiling of the program. I could be wrong about that because the double retirement thing probably had a lot to do with it, too. I think he'll win in Mansfield and I wish him well. 

7 minutes ago, AHUDDLESTON said:

He had a better record coming to Jasper 10 years ago , than any of the candidates hoping to replace him.  Are you trying to say that whoever the choice is tonight, they are only getting it because of their name?

He was referring to when Darrell got the job. I thought it was a great fit at the time and I really think he could have stayed in Jasper as long as he wanted to. He had more success there over a decent amount of time than anyone not named Walkoviak. 

I just hope they hire the best fit for the program, regardless of name or ties to Jasper. You know the level of athletes that walk through the halls as well as anyone, Coach. Greatness is right there in front of us...

1 hour ago, AHUDDLESTON said:

He had a better record coming to Jasper 10 years ago , than any of the candidates hoping to replace him.  Are you trying to say that whoever the choice is tonight, they are only getting it because of their name?

whether or not that is what he is implying, when your father is a coaching legend throughout the state,  it helps.

Regardless what your coaching record is. 

5 minutes ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

whether or not that is what he is implying, when your father is a coaching legend throughout the state,  it helps.

Regardless what your coaching record is. 

Jasper also wasn't the job it used to be when Darrell was hired. The fieldhouse was a revolving door and coaches were leaving left and right. At the time, bringing him in was as good a move as the higher ups could ever make. 

3 minutes ago, Bulldogs92 said:

Jasper also wasn't the job it used to be when Darrell was hired. The fieldhouse was a revolving door and coaches were leaving left and right. At the time, bringing him in was as good a move as the higher ups could ever make. 

My friend, I agree. ESPECIALLY!  when the opportunity to have had a Rusty Nail or a W T Johnson but you instead chose Mike Bickham.  

That choice lead to a two year train wreck of leadership.

1 hour ago, AHUDDLESTON said:

if that is what you are looking for, I'm your huckleberry.

if/when Crumedy gets hired tonight (even though the young man has put his time into his education and proven to be a competent coordinator for about a decade).

I have not a problem if that were the only reason(last name) he was hired.  Ya, know why? 

He is a hometown guy, and by that fact people who know, taught, went to church or simply a friend with him can account for his character.  

Because humans both men and women lie.  Numbers when presented correctly never lie.  As I said earlier on this thread I will take a clean slate over the combined records of the other "finalist".  

9 hours ago, AHUDDLESTON said:

When Darrell got the job, he had a winning record as a head coach.  His record was well above .500 at Hull-Daisetta and Anahuac.

And clearly a 500, actually I think that he brought a 600 record,  just doesn't cut it in Jasper.  Actually he did much better than I expected.  Also think that it could have been better.   Happy to see him find a landing spot. 

On 2/28/2022 at 10:41 AM, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

Sorry but that's how I see it. Answer this question HONESTLY : Would  he get the Jasper job in the first place  if he didn't have the same last name as a legend ?

I had been weened from the teet for almost 50 years. I still dabble with teets a lil' bit but more as a hobby.  I tried to launch a full scale comeback but the wifes not cooperating

Don't forget, Jasper wasn't really the most attractive job when he was hired, and he probably should've told yall to kick rocks after hiring the Carthage boy wonder the year before and leaving him at the altar. Rather than criticize him for carrying on his father's tradition, maybe you should be proud that the name Barbay has been synonymous with Jasper for the last 10 years or so. Look around the coaching ranks, there are a lot of Barbay's doing a lot of good things. Brian had quite a few great teams in Coldspring and led one to a state championship appearance, You are familiar with Darrell's work, Kevin just landed an OC job at a Division one school after being very successful at Western Michigan, Florida, and SFA just to name a few, Brady is at Newton and is an up and comer in SETX and there are several other's in the pipeline behind them. And I haven't even mentioned Mrs. Barbay's contributions over the years to JISD in various positions. The ongoing legacy left by the OG Barbay's in Newton is something to be applauded and not brushed off by nitwit's who could only wish their last name carried some type of clout. The grass ain't always greener bubba......I hope I'm not back here in November saying I told you so.