GCM Basketball

Congratulations to Coach Haymon on his 1st season as GCM's head coach. 

GCM wins 13th straight, holds off Ball

Goose Creek Memorial's boys held on for a 60-55 road win at Galveston Ball Wednesday and in doing so wrapped a number of firsts.

Avant Coleman (19 points), Devin Figueroa (15 points) and Sam Bradford (15 points) led the Patriots who are 21-3 overall, for the program's best winning percentage in history.

The 14-2 district record includes a second-place finish, bi-district playoff spot and the most such wins in school history.

The victory was also the program's 13th straight to mark the longest winning streak in program history.

GCM, which is ranked 24th, is also celebrating its first ever state ranking.

3 hours ago, BH85 said:

I have seen them a couple of times and they look strong.    The coach has them playing with a lot of energy.  Are they primarily seniors?

Sam and Avant are both juniors (arguably their best two players).   Team is about half and half (seniors and juniors).  But they should be even better next year. 

6 hours ago, Peppermint Patty said:

Congratulations to Coach Haymon on his 1st season as GCM's head coach. 

GCM wins 13th straight, holds off Ball

Goose Creek Memorial's boys held on for a 60-55 road win at Galveston Ball Wednesday and in doing so wrapped a number of firsts.

Avant Coleman (19 points), Devin Figueroa (15 points) and Sam Bradford (15 points) led the Patriots who are 21-3 overall, for the program's best winning percentage in history.

The 14-2 district record includes a second-place finish, bi-district playoff spot and the most such wins in school history.

The victory was also the program's 13th straight to mark the longest winning streak in program history.

GCM, which is ranked 24th, is also celebrating its first ever state ranking.

A legendary Houston coach took the job at Sterling (who have struggled).  And Coach Haymon comes in and has this kind of season with Goose Creek.  They certainly can make some noise in playoffs. 

11 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Gotcha.  I had read in the fall that he passed on the GCM job and took the Sterling one.  Ronnie can really coach. I was shocked at Sterling’s record.  Guess that explains it.  

RSS has not made the basketball playoffs since 1988.

Sadly enough, the coach of that team and the founding father of Ranger Basketball passed away on Wednesday.

Coach Woody Walker retired after his teams district championship in 1988. The court at RSS now bears his name.

8 minutes ago, Peppermint Patty said:

RSS has not made the basketball playoffs since 1988.

Sadly enough, the coach of that team and the founding father of Ranger Basketball passed away on Wednesday.

Coach Woody Walker retired after his teams district championship in 1988. The court at RSS now bears his name.

My high school coach ended up coaching there for about 7 years beginning in the late 90s.  He passed away 2 years ago.  

45 minutes ago, Peppermint Patty said:

Coach Priest was a good man. I loved working with him.

Wow - Had no idea you had worked with him.  He passed 30 years after I had played for him, but we remained in contact and even spent some time in gyms together watching my son play.  Loved that man dearly. 

1 minute ago, TxHoops said:

Wow - Had no idea you had worked with him.  He passed 30 years after I had played for him, but we remained in contact and even spent some time in gyms together watching my son play.  Loved that man dearly. 

Yes. Hs son and mine were also about the same age. We stayed in contact when he left for Stafford. (I also worked the clock at his games while he was here.)

We did not teach in the same department. He was a wonderful man with a great family.