Disrespectful or No Big Deal?

Dont worry..

Theres will be a WOS complaint thread after the BC game  :D

This was not intended as a "WOS complaint thread".  All I wanted to know is how most people felt about the issue.  It just happens that most non-WOS posters think it's disrespectful, but all the WOS posters and a few others feel that it's not.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me ask it another way.  If you go to midfield and jump up and down on another team's logo, is that showing respect to your opponents field and/or logo/mascot?  If the answer is no, then it's being disrespectful.  It's not that big a deal to get pumped up in the endzone.  Why feel the need to do it midfield?

I'll answer that one... Because it's a FOOTBALL FIELD, where people run and jump and get tackled for 48 minutes. I assure you that the kids from WOS do not run on the field thinking, "hey let's go disrespect our opponent and give them extra motivation before we play them". In my opinion, the mere thought that they think this way is just retarded (no offense, that's just my opinion). I promise you that Jasper, and any other team in this area has an open invitation to meet at the middle of the WOS field and you will never have to worry about Dan, any coach or any other WOS fan come on here and piss and moan about it. Sorry if this is harsh, but I think the whole idea of this thread is senseless and I can't believe that such an issue is being made by adults (again, my opinion).

I'll answer that one... Because it's a FOOTBALL FIELD, where people run and jump and get tackled for 48 minutes. I assure you that the kids from WOS do not run on the field thinking, "hey let's go disrespect our opponent and give them extra motivation before we play them". In my opinion, the mere thought that they think this way is just retarded (no offense, that's just my opinion). I promise you that Jasper, and any other team in this area has an open invitation to meet at the middle of the WOS field and you will never have to worry about Dan, any coach or any other WOS fan come on here and piss and moan about it. Sorry if this is harsh, but I think the whole idea of this thread is senseless and I can't believe that such an issue is being made by adults (again, my opinion).

I agree and Im not from WOS.  Our team doesnt do it but i do not think its disrespectful.  If jasper had done it the past 10 years he would have never posted this topic.  Lets move on this site is for talking about football, seems too much whining about football is going on instead.

So you have noticed that some Refs won't let them do it in the middle of the field, That should tell you that the guys in charge know it is not right.

Ok to answer a few things

Do I think Hooks cares if it is against the rules NO he has shown in the past he does things his way. He is a great coach so before you say I bashed him I didnt.

KJB also stated that they do it to get pumped up and They need it to get pumped up so that makes it ok in his eyes. If it took a snort of something to get a player pumped up because they need something to get them ready would that make it ok BECAUSE THEY NEED IT TO PLAY Thats a weak arguement.

I fully think they (by they I mean any team that does it) do it as a sign that they think they own that field, I agree it is in my opinion disrespectful  but beyond that against the rules and will only intice payback.

Who said that they "Need" it to get pumped up? Wo-s doesn't need anything to get pumped up...it's a tradition and they are going to do it whether you like it or not...so get over it.

I agree and Im not from WOS.  Our team doesnt do it but i do not think its disrespectful.  If jasper had done it the past 10 years he would have never posted this topic.  Lets move on this site is for talking about football, seems too much whining about football is going on instead.

Wow.  There sure seems to be a lot of people that know a lot about me on this board. ::)  And to answer you, yes I would condemn Jasper and any other team that does it because I feel that it is unnecessary and disrespectful of the other team.

Let me ask it another way.  If you go to midfield and jump up and down on another team's logo, is that showing respect to your opponents field and/or logo/mascot?  If the answer is no, then it's being disrespectful.  It's not that big a deal to get pumped up in the endzone.  Why feel the need to do it midfield?

J-dog94:  People from WOS have answered the question, yet you don't seem to like their answers.  You keep trying to convince us that it IS disrespectful when we have ALL said that we fully believe that the Mustangs do NOT think it is being disrespectful.  As a matter of fact, we don't believe that the team itself even THINKS about whether or not it is disrespectful.  Why don't you just say "OK" and be done with it instead of trying to get us to stop doing it or trying to convince us that it is rude.  

No big deal.  It turns into disrespect, however, when the team is still jumping up and down when the home team comes out and wants to jump up and down on their logo.  During basketball season when Kendrick Perkins was still at Ozen, Ozen did it at midcourt and stayed there when the Jags came out.  A scuffle ensued.  Quite understandable.

I recall that.  Totally uncalled for, but not a big surprise either.

My question is why cant these teams just follow the rules? Why can't the Head Coach have control and make his or her players follow the rules? If They don't follow the rules,  throw the flag and mark off the 15 yards. I Look at it as time for players to jump up and down and say look at me, just as when a player or a team makes a play and the kid or kids have to get up slaping their chest and yelling look what I did. Great players (not GOOD ones) like E Smith would score and head back to the sideline he did his job no need to take his helmet off and yell look at me, he had class. I think it is classless to come out and disrespect another teams players or field or fans in any way. Good teams like WOS should act like they have been there before BECAUSE THEY HAVE!

If the coaches saw an issue with it or wanted it controlled...Hooks and T wouldn't let it happen.  I think that it is what you see it as...I personally don't usually see any disrespect being intended, but to keep down the confusion...I could easily agree with the home team being allowed to do it and visiting team just going to the endzone or the sideline. 

I am surprised that people aren't complaining about that (going to the endzone)........it seems that the littlest things.......never mind.

I think it is funny how SOME not ALL fans think that just because their team does something that makes it right.  I understand that some of yall think its ok I just say whatever the rule is play by it. If it says the biggest team can be in the middle  then thats it get there. If it says no one can be their it should be the Coaches to tell them and explain what they can do. It is all just a Dif of what we all believe. It is ok for yall to think its ok but dont bash others who dont agree with yall, that is part of what makes some think yall do this as a disrespect thing!

Take those last two sentences and "allow" everyone the same respect.  It is obviously for anyone to think that anything is ok, but it looks to me that "yall" are not the only ones bashing.  ???

J-dog94:  People from WOS have answered the question, yet you don't seem to like their answers.  You keep trying to convince us that it IS disrespectful when we have ALL said that we fully believe that the Mustangs do NOT think it is being disrespectful.  As a matter of fact, we don't believe that the team itself even THINKS about whether or not it is disrespectful.  Why don't you just say "OK" and be done with it instead of trying to get us to stop doing it or trying to convince us that it is rude. 

JAV:  I have no problem with a difference of opinion.  What I have responded to in most cases has been (a) people that say I'm whining or complaining when all I've done is pose a question and (B) to people that have gotten a little bit personal with me about the issue.

I don't doubt that WOS (in particular) doesn't do this as a sign of disrespect.  I wanted to know if I was the only one who felt this way.  That has been the intent of this thread.  Not to offend anyone.  Not to provoke anyone.  Simply to ask a question and get people's responses.

Wow...it takes an entire day to read this thread.  Sorry for the previous three single replies to the threads, but I was reading and interjecting my opinion as I felt the need to.

I got to thinking....WO-S doesn't even have anything on the middle of their field (except for the homecoming game)...maybe people are mad because they can't run and jump on our "emblem" or whatever it is called.  I can call and see if Mrs. Cormier and them can repaint it on the field for anyone who wishes to "jump up and down and 'disrespect'" our emblem..... ??? ???

Quite honestly, I don't believe that the Mustang players do this to "disrespect" anyone...  In fact, sometimes I think that the entire purpose is to have a gathering place to see which of the players will be the first to gain an injury in the melee'.

It would suit me fine if the Mustangs NEVER ran out, gathered, and jumped ON EACH OTHER on another opponents' emblem or whatever the heck it's called ever again.  Thank goodness, this little menial act of getting pumped up before the game is ALL they do...I mean, no needles or basically anything else illegal.  

Has this subject been brought up before now?  How about by anyone from Jasper?  It is going to be OK...you guys are rebuilding and by next year or the next year...this might all be silly to you.  Maybe WO-S doesn't see it as disrespectful because we don't tend to take alot to heart.  We are blessed to be fans of a great football program that is centered around DISCIPLINE...if people have to take aim at the little stuff to attempt to chip away at our program...I say...go for it.  I personally would appreciate some forthrightness because it perturbs me when people HINT around at what their true feelings.  If you feel that WO-S or anyone else disrespected your school...put your big girl/boy panties/boxers/briefs on and STATE THAT. ;)  Hope my little pic doesn't disrespect anyone because I have grown quite fond of it (just because I have been unsuccessful at finding one with a Mustang chasing a bobcat or cardinal).  ;D

You know what I have noticed...most of the people that have posted that they think it is disrespectful have lost to the Mustangs.  Just kind of weird...woooooooooo!!!

You know what I have noticed...most of the people that have posted that they think it is disrespectful have lost to the Mustangs.  Just kind of weird...woooooooooo!!!

You had me until this last statement.  Why must is always come down to the win/lose issue?  Maybe, just maybe people feel that this is wrong based on sportsmanship and mutual respect.  It's comments like these that make people think WOS posters are arrogant.  I don't think you meant to come off that way, but that's the way it sounds.

I don't know if you read my previous reply before you submitted yours, since it was 2 minutes between replies.  Maybe if you read that you'll understand where I'm coming from.

You had me until this last statement.  Why must is always come down to the win/lose issue?  Maybe, just maybe people feel that this is wrong based on sportsmanship and mutual respect.  It's comments like these that make people think WOS posters are arrogant.  I don't think you meant to come off that way, but that's the way it sounds.

I don't know if you read my previous reply before you submitted yours, since it was 2 minutes between replies.  Maybe if you read that you'll understand where I'm coming from.

Actually, I thought that I stated very clearly in my first little section that I had soooo many single posts because I was reading the ENTIRE thread and responding as I went along (I can actually read quite fast...and type).  As far as arrogance...not a word that describes me nor MOST Mustangs/fans/community.  It was actually "meant" to be sarcastic, but I really have noticed that this thread "appears" directed towards the Mustangs.  I think that most people that DON'T have an issue with it are confident in their abilities (from the players' aspects) to take care of their business on the field.  They don't worry about the little things.   ;D

Look...the Mustangs don't care WHERE they do the "jump on the PILE (not the emblem)" ritual...because they are just jumping on the pile.  Read into what you want...but, that is what it is.  Honestly, I cringe when they do it because I worry that someone will get hurt, not that they are offending someone.

I think that most people that DON'T have an issue with it are confident in their abilities (from the players' aspects) to take care of their business on the field.  They don't worry about the little things.  ;D

Simply unbelievable.  This has NOTHING to do with a team's abilities on the field.  I don't know how I can be more clear about that point.  This has EVERYTHING to do with sportsmanship and respect.  I'll leave it at this:

If high school sports are about building a sense of teamwork through fair competition and sportsmanship, then it needs to stop. There is nothing "sportsman-like" about jumping up and down on another team's mascot/logo, whether it's intended disrespect or not.

Back to the original question, this is NO BIG DEAL!  WO-S simply runs to the middle, a couple of kids jump on the pile and then they leave.  Some posters act like they are kicking up the grass and destroying the logo and tearing up the field while mocking the other school.  Anybody that knows anything about the WO-S program knows that the coaches would not allow that AND that the players at WO-S are some of the most respectful young men you will ever meet and they would not do this to disrespect another school.

Next, they are going to say we were so disrespectful when we parked in the grass because their 4 car visitors parking lot was full and we rutted it up. It never stops, people will try to pick fights and degrade WOS football. Its called jealousy.

IMO, It would only be disrespectful if the team went to the opposing team's sideline and did it.  The center of the field doesn't "belong" to the home team.  I could care less.

What is disrespectful is the guys at Kirbyville that sit in the back of the truck that blow that freakin horn all night, especially when opposing players and coaches walk by them.  Or how about the strobe light that is left on during the game while the opposing team is facing that endzone?

Or what about Hardin-Jefferson putting their run-through on the opposing team's side of the field?  I could only imagine what everyone would say if WO-S did that.......

It never stops, people will try to pick fights and degrade WOS football. Its called jealousy.

Simply unbelievable.  This has NOTHING to do with a team's abilities on the field.  I don't know how I can be more clear about that point.  This has EVERYTHING to do with sportsmanship and respect.  I'll leave it at this:

If high school sports are about building a sense of teamwork through fair competition and sportsmanship, then it needs to stop. There is nothing "sportsman-like" about jumping up and down on another team's mascot/logo, whether it's intended disrespect or not.

Why must is always come down to the win/lose issue?  Maybe, just maybe people feel that this is wrong based on sportsmanship and mutual respect.  It's comments like these that make people think WOS posters are arrogant.  I don't think you meant to come off that way, but that's the way it sounds.

I don't doubt that WOS (in particular) doesn't do this as a sign of disrespect.  I wanted to know if I was the only one who felt this way.  That has been the intent of this thread.  Not to offend anyone.  Not to provoke anyone.  Simply to ask a question and get people's responses.

I don't know how to be any more clear.

It's truely amazing to me how a simple question gets turned to a WOS against the world thread. Yes, I know, the thread was started by a Jasper fan and it just so happened to be after the Bulldogs lost to the Mustangs, and WE ALL KNOW that WOS does their little thing at midfield. But c'mon folks, why be so offended? It was just a question of is it or isn't it. You WOS fans immediately got defensive with the subject, which should raise some eyebrows. You question why the word " arrogance" is thrown in these posts, but when most of the WOS fans believe that every single thread started on this board is about WOS football, directly or indirectly, it's easy to think that way.

WOS has been on top of the football pile for quite some time and they will remain there, no doubt about it. With that comes the pot shots at the top dog, and I completely understand how the fans feel they need to defend their team, which you should. But I got news for you, the world doesn't revolve around WOS football, get over it. The thread actually was asking about any team that does it, not WOS. There are other teams that do that, in fact Silsbee used to do it but only at home. They never did it on the road and now they choose not to do it at all for whatever reason.

Yes, it is easy to believe that this thread was only started to take a stab at WOS, but let's not be so self centered to believe that all the time, because that is just not the case.

Oh, and to answer the question of the thread, if I coached a team, I would not allow them to do that on the road, it's just not my thing, disrespectful or not.

That assumes you have competent officials. Which is unlikely and then they would have to actually be on the field to prevent it.

Why don't you join our chapter? We could use a man with great competence such as you. Actually we stand at mid field before the game and second half to prevent such things. My crew does anyway and I presumed all do.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86