Disrespectful or No Big Deal?

Simply unbelievable.  This has NOTHING to do with a team's abilities on the field.  I don't know how I can be more clear about that point.  This has EVERYTHING to do with sportsmanship and respect.  I'll leave it at this:

If high school sports are about building a sense of teamwork through fair competition and sportsmanship, then it needs to stop. There is nothing "sportsman-like" about jumping up and down on another team's mascot/logo, whether it's intended disrespect or not.

Simply unbelievable is the fact that most of us are saying....WO-S MEETS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD.  They DON'T INTENTIONALLY JUMP UP AND DOWN TO DISRESPECT THEIR OPPOSING TEAM.  Perhaps, they are feeling a little left out because their own field doesn't have anything in the middle of the field.

Tell me this, if they WALKED to the middle of the field and STOOD there...would it be disrespectful?  What if they prayed there?  I don't think that the kids realize the SPORTSMANSHIP-LESS part of it because we (at WO-S) just don't get worked up about it.  Of course, maybe we (at WO-S) just don't worry about it because the logo is not there...

Since this is obviously such a TOUCHY subject...we'll have to bring this concern up to the coaches.  I just don't think that it is disrespectful unless someone is soo in tuned to finding it disrespectful.  Maybe I can suggest too, that next year when Jasper comes to WO-S...we'll paint some type of logo/mascot/(maybe even a group pic of the team) on the middle of the field and you guys can run, jump, do whatever floats your boat...and then...we'll see who really cares.  This whole issue is what you (as an individual) make it or want to see...basically, an opinion.  I truly RESPECT your opinion about it being a RESPECT/DISRESPECT issue, but I can't see where you are RESPECTING any of our opposing opinions.  Some things just matter more to some people than other things, but I can tell you that in no way would ANY of the WO-S COACHES allow the Mustangs to DISRESPECT anyone (including themselves). ;)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I can suggest too, that next year when Jasper comes to WO-S...we'll paint some type of logo/mascot/(maybe even a group pic of the team) on the middle of the field and you guys can run, jump, do whatever floats your boat...and then...we'll see who really cares. 

I can promise you that I'd be the first one to say that was the wrong thing to do.

I do respect other's opinions (yours included).  I can understand how some people feel that no disrespect is/was intended.  On the other hand some posters are now more aware that some people do think it's unsportsmanlike.  I think it would be a great thing to bring up to the coaches.  They may be completely unaware that some people take offense to it.  It could be a great time of teaching to the kids.

I respect your opinion because you didn't come on here saying that this was a jealousy thing.  Trust me, it's not.  I noticed this at the beginning of the 2nd half...at that point Jasper was winning.

BTW - The stangs came out in the second half, simplified the offense and blew Jasper off the ball.  The linemen won that game for the stangs.  Congratulations on the win.

From the 3Adownlow.This is a response from one of their posters on the same subject that was posted on here by Jasperdog.....

With the thread about teams jumping on a logo at midfield, and the other one about the team going thru the stands I have to ask

Are fans today looking to disrespected, or looking into to stuff way to much and turning a small thing into bigger issues?

I dont know, it just seems more and more fans are hitting the boards calling another team/fan classless over any and all things.

I dont know if it is a way to villify the opponent, or people today are just more sensitive to things.

Like the jumping at midfield...What in the long run does that really do that is SOO BAD you have to call it classless? Is it only classless if they are doing it on a logo? If the field does not have one at the 50 and the visiting team jumps up and down at midfield, is it then ok?

Also, what if that team does that at home on their own logo? Are they disrespecting and being classless to their own town/logo?

I just think the word classless and disrespected gets thrown around WAY to much in regardfs to HS kids.

I do respect other's opinions (yours included).  I can understand how some people feel that no disrespect is/was intended.  On the other hand some posters are now more aware that some people do think it's unsportsmanlike.  I think it would be a great thing to bring up to the coaches.  They may be completely unaware that some people take offense to it.  It could be a great time of teaching to the kids.

I respect your opinion because you didn't come on here saying that this was a jealousy thing.  Trust me, it's not.  I noticed this at the beginning of the 2nd half...at that point Jasper was winning.

BTW - The stangs came out in the second half, simplified the offense and blew Jasper off the ball.  The linemen won that game for the stangs.  Congratulations on the win.

I can promise you that I'd be the first one to say that was the wrong thing to do.

I think it would be a great thing to bring up to the coaches.

You will get laughed at.

It could be a great time of teaching to the kids.

Um.. I dont understand what this would even accomplish.  "Hey kids, dont gather midfield because some people are butt hurt"

There you are...one post you are just trying to "get opinions".  Next, you are trying to give advice.  Why don't you just let it go man.....

Since this is obviously such a TOUCHY subject...we'll have to bring this concern up to the coaches.

I noticed that you completely ignored the fact that I was responding to another poster's suggestion. ::)

"Hey kids, dont gather midfield because some people are butt hurt"

Classy response...real classy.

How about, "Hey guys, we're going to change up our routine a bit.  Some folks feel that it's bad sportsmanship for the visiting team to gather at midfield on the home teams logo/mascot.  So, instead of gathering on the field at midfield, we're going to move that to the endzone."

That's all it would take.

How about, "Hey guys, we're going to change up our routine a bit.  Some folks feel that it's bad sportsmanship for the visiting team to gather at midfield on the home teams logo/mascot.  So, instead of gathering on the field at midfield, we're going to move that to the endzone."

That's all it would take.

Why, to pacify you? we are going to continue to jump, stomp or whatever we usually do on the field. Maybe you all should try and put your focus on something more important cause frankly, we don't care what you think...get over it and go and find something better to do with your time.

It's truely amazing to me how a simple question gets turned to a WOS against the world thread. Yes, I know, the thread was started by a Jasper fan and it just so happened to be after the Bulldogs lost to the Mustangs, and WE ALL KNOW that WOS does their little thing at midfield. But c'mon folks, why be so offended? It was just a question of is it or isn't it. You WOS fans immediately got defensive with the subject, which should raise some eyebrows. You question why the word " arrogance" is thrown in these posts, but when most of the WOS fans believe that every single thread started on this board is about WOS football, directly or indirectly, it's easy to think that way.

WOS has been on top of the football pile for quite some time and they will remain there, no doubt about it. With that comes the pot shots at the top dog, and I completely understand how the fans feel they need to defend their team, which you should. But I got news for you, the world doesn't revolve around WOS football, get over it. The thread actually was asking about any team that does it, not WOS. There are other teams that do that, in fact Silsbee used to do it but only at home. They never did it on the road and now they choose not to do it at all for whatever reason.

Yes, it is easy to believe that this thread was only started to take a stab at WOS, but let's not be so self centered to believe that all the time, because that is just not the case.

Oh, and to answer the question of the thread, if I coached a team, I would not allow them to do that on the road, it's just not my thing, disrespectful or not.

Maybe because we have to hear something negative every week about our team all because other teams fans are mad because they got their butts kicked. Anybody can figure out who he was talking about... come on. Again, we don't care what any of you think..we are going to continue to do what we do.

It doesn't matter where they gather at..

People like you will make a big deal about it

I noticed that you completely ignored the fact that I was responding to another poster's suggestion. ::)

Whatever, dude.  WOS fans have said that they don't think it's disrespectful so that's that!  You think it is. Ok.  You made your opinion known over and over-we ALL heard it.  I'm superstitious.  I don't think we need to change a thing this year....or next year....or the year after.

Quote from Tam2121

Maybe because we have to hear something negative every week about our team all because other teams fans are mad because they got their butts kicked. Anybody can figure out who he was talking about... come on. Again, we don't care what any of you think..we are going to continue to do what we do.

Guest whoabroncos09

why do yall think it is disrepectful.

just like somebody said in a post, urinating on their logo is disrespectful.

jumping on it, gettin pumped up for the game....

come on now.

how is that disrepect?

like i posted earlier,

weather it is in the center of the field or the sidelines, or even in the endzones.

i really dont think the players are thinking about disrepecting their oppent.

And thus far, at least in our case, we've taken it.

Maybe it's just the center of the field. Maybe it's a challenge. Who cares?

WO-S always clears the field by the time the home team runs out. This past week, they hurried off the center as Jasper came out moments after they did after the half. I can see people taking it as disrespect, but I don't think it's intended that way.

Like I said in this thread 18 pages ago.....it's not disrespectful.  If a team came to Babe doing that, I'll just say that we need to come out on kickoff and take the wind out of their sails.  Why is this thread carrying on so far.  If WO-S wants to do it, then let them.  Shut them up when it counts...on the field by knocking their helmet off on every hit and mowing them in the ground when you have the ball. 

OK, what is SOOOO very irritating to me about this whole thread is the way you (Jasperdog94) go about discussing how "this is a good time for teaching your kids" and how "coaches should teach kids about sportsmanship" and "Coaches should teach their players right from wrong". Then you turn around and call us arrogant, or maybe not straight up call us arrogant, but tip toe around it like this whole thread is doing by saying that "some think WOS folks are arrogant". To me (again, my opinion), your whole attitude here is arrogant by the simple fact that (and read very carefully) just because YOU see it as disrespectful DOES NOT make it wrong. Why are we going to teach our kids something that Jdog94 thinks is wrong? You are, essentially, equating something that is nothing more than a matter of opinion to something really serious and clear cut as stealing. To me, this is very arrogant.

If you don't want your logo stomped.......then don't put it in middle of the field.........maybe coaches should have to run plays avoiding the 'nice paint job'..........maybe we could flag people for running into the 'paint zone'...... ;D........lol.........lol (If some of you can't laugh about this then you might need some time away from the PC or laptop...... ;D) 

Personaly, I think officials should worry about what happens from opening kickoff to the final wistle.............furthermore, that's all Coaches are worried about.....maybe us fans should join in..... ;)

This is a lose....lose argument....period

If it's your team you think it's no big deal and your going to back your team.....and that's ok....you should

If it's against your team (in your house) your going to take offense to the action......and that's ok....you should

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder