Question

baddog

Should college ever become “free” of charge, how are they going to pay the indoctrination professors and, more importantly, lure those 5 star recruits for their rich athletic departments? If they start paying college athletes as I have heard, then you have an even bigger problem. 

8 minutes ago, baddog said:

Should college ever become “free” of charge, how are they going to pay the indoctrination professors and, more importantly, lure those 5 star recruits for their rich athletic departments? If they start paying college athletes as I have heard, then you have an even bigger problem. 

It won’t ever be “free of charge”. We, the taxpayers, will be paying for it. 

45 minutes ago, baddog said:

HS sports will suffer if there is no incentive to get a scholarship. Everyone will get in. Imagine Lamar having over 200 walk ons and they all expect a roster spot... WRs with Jersey number 199

Not good. Supply and demand will rule. We already have more college graduates than jobs. It’s just going to create an even more miserable situation for all. You’ll have 100 degreed candidates applying for one or two job opportunities, and by definition employees can pay a even smaller salary because of the glut of graduates. Not to mention the increased tax burden that the rest of us will share, regardless of our education level. 

The argument goes “college grads make more money” and it’s often true. However, it’s also a function of the mindset and work ethic that achieve that distinction. A young person who is intelligent, self-disciplined, responsible, and motivated enough to work through a degree plan would be expected to achieve greater things. You can’t just hand people a degree and expect them to meet those same levels of success. Comparison. “People who religiously pay their tithes are blessed financially” they also say. It’s true... most people that I know who honor that commitment to their church DO seem to do really well. However, could their good fortune also be explained by their self discipline in regards to tithing also be reflected in ALL of their financial decisions? Their conservatism would also be exhibited in better financial decisions in regard to purchases, financial decisions, and saving as well? I’ll bet there’s a correlation. 

Nobody likes the idea that some kids go to college and some kids can’t. Life choices have consequences. It’s not a kid’s fault that his parents made bad decisions, but it’s not my place to make up for their shortcoming because I’ve been steadfast with my decision making.