Huffman Repeat?

SmashMouth

9 minutes ago, LionBacker99 said:

Barring any upsets this Friday night, how poetic is it when the last game of the season comes down to the last two unbeatens in district? The champion and the surprising challenger... I haven’t watched Huffman at all this year, but does anyone have any premature hot takes on Huffman/Livingston? 

I think Huffman has played a tougher non district schedule that may give them a edge. 

3 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

I think Huffman has played a tougher non district schedule that may give them a edge. 

That’s fair, but Livingston has looked better and better week after week. They’ve both played Needville, with Huffman winning by 6 and the Lions losing by 1. If I remember correctly, Livingston was winning by one touchdown with a minute to go. Another thing is that Huffman hasn’t had much adversity this year. If the Lions jump out by a score or two I’m not sure how they’ll respond with the pressure of another perfect season and district title on the line. One thing Livingston has going for them is a nothing-to-lose chip on their shoulder. Should be a great game and all the cards are going to be played. I’m stoked.

I started a new thread, let me see if I can close it.  Here was my thread starter over there.

I spend too much time looking at this stuff.  If you don't want to read it all here is a summary.

Summary - 

• Huffman offense is getting better and executing well.
  • The defense is good and the numbers support that.
  • Special teams has been special.
  • This team wins the turnover battle and doesn't commit a lot of penalties
  • Huffman 35  Vidor 17  - Vidor can't score fast enough. 
  • Huffman 35  Livingston 28 - my guess is as good as yours.
  • Huffman repeats as District Champion.

The Long Post  

I try hard to look at the stats and data when I am guessing upcoming games.  Well aware that there is more involved than historical information to determine who wins what, I have tasted crow before, and I am sure I will get a taste of that bitter meal in the future.  But this is what I see from a Huffman fan perspective.

With 2 games left in the season, the district pecking order is starting to take shape.  Livingston (3-0) sits at the top with a little better Points For (91) and Points Allowed (35).  Huffman (3-0) is right behind them PF - 85, PA-38.  Splendora, Vidor, and LCM follow with 1-2 district records.

Offense - Huffman has left points on the table.  The defense has bailed them out but there has been some improvement on execution in the last couple games that should continue.  Huffman started a DT/LB at center for the LCM game and it hurt their ability to move the ball.  Still able to make it work and win.  Missing a key skill player (injury) for the Splendora game made it difficult to move the ball.  Still got the win.  There was 2 offensive adjustments made in the second half that Splendora just couldn't answer.  A healthy offense that has figured out what they can, and can't do, shouldn't have any problems putting points on the board for these last 2 games.  

Defense - The Huffman defense is 70% of the success of this season.  They play fast, track the ball well, tackle well, and create turnovers.  No team has been able to break off long runs consistently to get into a rhythm.  Offenses are getting frustrated and taking risks.  Needville and Lumberton are the only teams that were able to score in the first half against this defense.  Huffman averages 2 points given up for the first half of games.  That is significant.

Special Teams - Well, kicking has been sporadic.  I think they are on their second kicker.  Coverage has been excellent.  What has really been impressive is the punting.  Huffman punts a line drive, consistently, that is hard to field and takes a Huffman bounce.  It seems lucky, but in 7 games it has backed teams up consistently.  With the defensive battle of the Navasota game, I am convinced the punter made a huge difference.  This is a strength for this team.  

Turnovers/Penalties - Is it luck?  Huffman seems to recover 3-4 fumbles a game, and 1-2 interceptions.  That is staggering.  Five turnovers against Splendora.  Huffman may lose a couple and an interception every other game but the differential is staggering.  I lean towards TO's being more about luck but good teams usually have some good luck.  

I never miss the chance to quote somebody here (or Friday Football app) "I have never not been disappointed by the officials."  The calls this year seem to favor Huffman.  I would like to say its the opponent making mistakes and feeling some pressure but I wouldn't bank on it.  Huffman plays pretty clean football.

Huffman @ Vidor - This is actually the game I am most excited about.  I love Vidor's offensive scheme and I love the aggression Vidor always seems to play with.  I have only seen some film this year of Vidor, not the games.  What I see (and hope happens) is a stingy defense holding Vidor to 7-10 (they average 12 in the first half) points in the first half while methodically putting 21 on the board.  Huffman adjusts well during the half and should put this one away 35-17.  Vidor averages 9 points in the second half of games and the lone TD against Livingston was a punt block and recover in the endzone for a TD.  

Livingston @ Huffman - Well, lets use the same metrics.  Livingston averages 17.5 points in the first half of games.  That's best in district.  Huffman allows 2.  So this is one of those numbers that kinda goes in the wash.  Won't know until they line up and play the first half.  

Livingston allows 8.8 points in the second half of games.  Huffman scores 16 points per game in the second half.  That favors Huffman over Livingston for the second half.  

It is at this point, I can be convinced that all these numbers don't really mean much.  Rearward facing bias is certainly in play and few things are more biased than fans in the stands at high school football games.  

I predict a 35-28 victory for Huffman.  Based on gut feel at this moment.

Cheers!

43 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

Any truth to the rumor that Summer Creek's starting QB's family moved to Huffman and the kid transferred in to Huffman? I am hearing he will be eligible to play this week. 

From what I read, the SC starter was injured during the Friendswood game (no idea how bad or how long he will be out) and the backup QB came in a performed well.  That same player was added to the Huffman roster on Maxpreps.  From the dates and my sweet C.E. King mathemelogical education...He should be eligible this week.