**WO-S 22 Dayton 14 FINAL/COMMENTS**

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's funny Dayton in a fight.  I hope no one is surprised. They brawled with a team in a scrimmage a few years back and Stewart promised he'd never play them again. They didn't shake hands with GP the year McGaffie beat them in OT to win district, I think '05.  They fought Crosby last year and now they brawl WO-S.  Hmm. Who's the common denominator here?

While we're looking at common denominators. Let's think about what is going on in those games(I'll only comment on the ones I saw). Against Crosby we are up by four touchdowns, block a field goal and they take a cheap shot on a player after the ball is dead. Against montgomery, similar scenario without the blocked field goal. Last night, I got the sense that WOS was getting very frustrated due to their own penalties and the fact that they couldn't settle into their normal game plan (i.e. running it down our throats and throwing the bomb...2 picks on deep balls and one on a blown screen). I'm talking about a lot of hands on facemasks, etc. that I could see from my seat.

I hate the fighting, there is no excuse for it, and we paid a large price last night. But when you go spewing facts and stats, you should really look at the entire picture.

There goes my karma.

I'm not going to go into the shocking things I saw during the fight (including from a Bronc coach). I will just say that it was not a result of WO-S frustration, but of a Dayton tackler adding a few haymakers to a tackle. It happened directly in front of me. Let's move on.

Too late to post last night....but the biggest factor for dayton's demise was John Gable getting ejected.  For some reason they also lost another linebacker in Fred Hynson, I'm not sure why. Once those guys were gone we couldn't stop the run and WOS has plenty of runners. In losing those two guys we lost 2 special team players, 2 starting linebackers and the running back that really helps make our offense go. WOS took advantage of that loss and didn't even have to throw the ball the second half. WOS is very good. Dayton lacked the depth to recover from losing those two guys.

WO-S lost their "only player" to the ejections and lost their QB for a good 10 plays as well - 10 plays that were still dominated by WO-S. Depauldrick Garrett is one of the top players in the area - voted "best player in SETX" on the frontpage poll on this site. He's not what "makes our offense go," he IS our offense - like Green is Dayton's. He also is a factor on defense. DPG getting ejected was the equivalent of Green getting ejected. Losing Gable might have hurt Dayton, but not NEARLY as much as Garrett getting booted hurt WO-S. In fact, Gable had done very, very little up to his ejection. Green was the one tearing us apart in the first half - not Gable. He seemed to really get flustered once WO-S yanked the momentum away in the third.

Ditto to Dayton.

Here's an oddity from the game: Dayton wins the toss and elects to kick to open the game - not to defer the choice, but to kick. So WO-S got the choice in the second half and opted to receive (obviously). That was the drive that turned it around. I bet there were some heads shaking on the other side...

Ditto to Dayton.

Here's an oddity from the game: Dayton wins the toss and elects to kick to open the game - not to defer the choice, but to kick. So WO-S got the choice in the second half and opted to receive (obviously). That was the drive that turned it around. I bet there were some heads shaking on the other side...

NO joke...my head was shaking.

Dayton has a good team.  They will be fine.  I think the people from Barbers Hill are more upset about the loss than those from Dayton.   ;D

Probably because the people from Dayton realize that we have a good team. I hope we keep this game scheduled for years to come. I know we won't win them all but it makes for a great game.

Ditto to Dayton.

That was odd. We were sitting there shaking our heads. I'm not sure you should ever let someone have the ball to start the game and to open the second half.

I didn't even know that could happen!! the kickoff thing.

You guys have a bunch of guys that can really make plays on the ground. The short passing game was good too. The deep ball didn't work. Hippo has a great arm, but it seems he was trying to throw it up and let the receivers run under it. Our secondary defended that well. That will come. What a deep bunch of skill players.

Ok folks--here is how it went:

Dayton won the toss and elected to defer to the second half--the official got it wrong and said we elected to kickoff-our coaches made their case but to no avail. As for the fight: Dayton lost John Gable and Fred Hynson--both starting linebackers and that is why WOS ran the ball down our throat the second half---give credit to WOS coaches for recognizing the now soft area and exploiting it--also give credit to them for abandoning a non-effective passing game in the first half

( 3 picks ) couple that with probably the worst game that Green could have played along with a snap over his head and you have a WOS comeback---

Then on top of that add a much better than expected WOS team with a lot of heart and determination and you have the recipe for a WOS victory!

Ok folks--here is how it went:

Dayton won the toss and elected to defer to the second half--the official got it wrong and said we elected to kickoff-our coaches made their case but to no avail. As for the fight: Dayton lost John Gable and Fred Hynson--both starting linebackers and that is why WOS ran the ball down our throat the second half---give credit to WOS coaches for recognizing the now soft area and exploiting it--also give credit to them for abandoning a non-effective passing game in the first half

( 3 picks ) couple that with probably the worst game that Green could have played along with a snap over his head and you have a WOS comeback---

Then on top of that add a much better than expected WOS team with a lot of heart and determination and you have the recipe for a WOS victory!

I don't think the passing game was non-effective. Maybe the deep passing game was but we threw the ball well on the short passes. The interception on the screen was simply the RB taking his eye off of the ball and then it floated on top of his helment long enough for a lineman to catch it. The other two picks were on dseep balls that were just thrown up. One on third and long, which was just as good as a punt.

Green played pretty good in the first half. Maybe WOS defense had something to do with him not playing so well in the second half.

He is a really good QB and will make a ton of plays this year.

Good luck

He is a very good QB and he will make tons of great plays this year and he ran the ball well in the first half---however last night throwing the ball he simply did not perform well--better days are ahead.

Analyze your passing game anyway you want to and it was ineffective-------3 picks and zero points is how I see it.

He is a very good QB and he will make tons of great plays this year and he ran the ball well in the first half---however last night throwing the ball he simply did not perform well--better days are ahead.

Analyze your passing game anyway you want to and it was ineffective-------3 picks and zero points is how I see it.

65 yards passing to 62 yards passing is how I see it.

Funny, obviously we didnt need it anyway.

That is my point---ours stunk and so did yours--that is why WOS did not throw the ball in the second half---I am not trying to be a jerk--those are just the facts

I'm not trying to be jerk either. I think we looked ok on the short pass. What I was saying is Dayton kept throwing the ball and had 65 yards, we stopped throwing the ball and had 62. Our deep passes will improve.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami