Let's remember The entire Hemphill community....

Guest ECBucFan

Guest ECBucFan

Hemphill mourns loss of 3 teens killed in car wreck 

By RYAN MYERS , The Enterprise 

Pete Churton/The Enterprise

Hemphill High School students comfort each other Monday at a memorial for three students who died in a car wreck on Friday. 

HEMPHILL - Black ribbon, letters to suddenly departed friends.

Openly weeping, students embraced Monday at a makeshift memorial near the Hemphill High School band hall.

Like these teenagers, Hemphill has opened its heart, sharing a tragic burden.

Three young women, Sara Katlyn Click, a sophomore; Sarah Emmaline Adame, a junior; and Sarah Elizabeth Felts, a senior, died Friday in a car wreck near Nacogdoches.

In a town of 1,100, each was a well-known figure in a social scene of fewer than 300 high school students.

Since the painful news arrived, parents have opened their homes, hosting impromptu gatherings where Hemphill's teens shared stories and grieved together for their friends.

Denise Taylor, whose daughter was best friends with Adame, said the community's response has been as powerful as the tragedy.

"The way people have turned out, it's like one big family here," Taylor said by phone while her daughter met with friends. "We've lost three beautiful girls who were truly loved," she said.

At the high school Monday, principal Marc Griffin said a memorial began over the weekend with students deciding of their own accord to affix letters on a chain link fence near the band hall.

Felts played trumpet in the band and Click was a majorette.

Amid candles, stuffed animals, paintings and about 100 letters, one page read, "... three little angels we have watched them grow, three little angels we're proud to know."

Griffin, born in Hemphill and a graduate of the high school, said counselors were at the school Monday from surrounding towns and nearby universities.

Students kept the counselors busy, but Griffin said his faculty was equally affected, as each young woman had a parent or grandparent who works for the Hemphill Independent School District.

"It would be hard to talk to anyone in town that didn't know them. We're talking about three well-known, role-model girls," the principal said.

Planning for Monday's classes began Saturday, interim Superintendent Glenn Pearson said in his office.

"All my administrators and some teachers met Saturday and then I met with them Sunday to plan what to do," Pearson said.

Administrators visited each girl's parents, seeking their opinions, then prepared a press release and planned what teachers would say in classrooms, Pearson said.

"The community is hurting right now," the superintendent said. The teachers came in early for a meeting; we knew the students would be hurting."

An eighth grade track meet Monday night went on as scheduled so students would have a place to meet and talk and avoid being alone, Pearson said.

On his way to the track meet, senior Jared Powell said students set aside differences Monday.

"The morning was pretty touchy, a lot of awkward silence," Powell said by phone. "But usually everyone hangs out in their own little groups of friends, but today everyone hung out together, helped each other."

Sarah Felts was a senior planning for college, described in letters on the memorial as a leader and trustworthy friend.

Powell said Sara Click was a family friend and a talented baton twirler who "had fun no matter what the circumstances were."

Her principal said Sarah Adame was a talented writer, who with the other girls competed in University Interscholastic League academic competitions.

Another Hemphill High School student, 17-year-old Tasha Leann Felts, Sarah Felts' cousin, survived the accident but remained hospitalized Monday.

Pearson said Tasha Felts was in serious condition with multiple broken bones but was improving.

With Sarah Felts driving, the four girls were on their way to Nacogdoches and Lufkin for shopping and a movie, Griffin said.

In a second car in the crash were Tina Smith, 32; Mindy Smith, 8; John Smith, 4; Amber Pierce, 25; and Destiny Pierce, 2, all of San Augustine. Each was listed in serious or stable condition after the wreck, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Without much organization, most of Hemphill turned up at a park Saturday night, Taylor said.

There were candles; mourners held hands and someone sang "Amazing Grace."

The school band then marched in formation, without uniforms or instruments, to the high school.

"These kids really love each other up here," Taylor said.

"I grew up in a big city. It's not like that here."

[email protected]

Prayers from Pineland for our Sabine County brothers. I was at the first of many funerals yesterday in Pineland. A real tough one..kids from both communities are feeling the loss of these three angels. Also i might add that the 8yr old from the other car also passed earlier this week. Prayers sent to the San Augustine county families as well.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin

• No doubt. It's definitely intriguing enough to watch how this all plays out...
    • We all know that each state has its own laws which can be very different, especially in endeavors like annexation or incorporation, so there is no telling what Louisiana law says. I don’t know but I doubt that there is a point of appeal for Baton Rouge to force St. George to be absorbed back into Baton Rouge by now giving them what they asked for years ago. “Oh, we lost? Well let’s just undo incorporation, ruled as legal by the Supreme Court (of LA)  by going back and giving them what they asked for”. There has to be a law allowing such an appeal. I think what I read about the lower court decisions which actually backed up Baton Rouge, they did not all rule that incorporation was illegal but that they did not think the city could have services up and running soon enough. So you have a court saying that sure you can split but only if we agree that you can provide services get enough. In Louisiana, who knows? I doubt that Texas has such a mechanism to allow a city to split, for example, could the west end of Beaumont say that they wish to make their own city against Beaumont’s objection? I doubt it. Certainly Beaumont could allow a city to be created as Port Arthur did with Bridge City and Taylor’s Landing. There is a huge difference in allowing and forcing which is what happened in Baton Rouge. Similar to the sometime discussed topic of Texas splitting off from the United States because they don’t like the way things are going, think if citizens in any city in the United States were allowed to create their own city, which could not be stopped by the parent city.  That could get interesting!! Don't like what is happening in the south side of Chicago? Just de-annex and create your own city!! Anyway, I thought that it is an interesting story when the capital city splits in half.   
    • Wasn't that 1st round loss last year? Also, during those previous 10 years I am pretty sure Jasper didn't go 2-58 in district play in the other 5 sports.
    • Ma'am, I don't think he said all Muslims were like that. If I'm reading this right, he's referencing the terrorist Muslims. You know, the ones who commit murder & have no regard for anyone who doesn't follow their jihadist beliefs...
    • Great playoff run, no doubt.  They did make the 3rd round(1 less) 4 of the previous 10 years, only one first round loss. 6 district championships and 4 second place.  The only 4 years Carthage was in the same district. So no, I'm not sure it does make sense.
  • Topics