Hardin-Jefferson 110 West Orange-Stark 57/FINAL

WOSgrad

21 minutes ago, BlkMamba24 said:

Is that the most HJ has ever scored Nash?

6 minutes ago, stevenash said:

I dont think so.  I have been watching them many years and the 91 state championship team once had a game over 150

That team AVERAGED just under 110 per game for the season.  Nash is correct - their high game that year was over 150, it was 166.  Could have been higher but they let off the gas in the second half - they had 96 AT HALF of that game. 

sounds like this years Hj team is pretty darn good or at least has some potential to be good.  110 pts is impressive no matter who the opponent is.this has to be a result of really good defense or really good shooting but in most cases a combination of both. All the talk about them loosing the kids to west brook and being small seems like it was all wasted breath. Im sure ill be able to catch a few games after the hawks make a long football playoff run. but is always tough for me Ive been torn between home ( silsbee) and my new love hate relationship of HJ lol

The team is pretty young and it will take some time to be able to gauge what their potential is.  I have watched them in a few scrimmages and their youth still shows often.  They don't have a lot of height and they (collectively) don't have a lot of varsity experience.  They do have an exceptional amount of character and work ethic and we can certainly hope they use that to whatever advantage they can.

28 minutes ago, Barney Fife said:

sounds like this years Hj team is pretty darn good or at least has some potential to be good.  110 pts is impressive no matter who the opponent is.this has to be a result of really good defense or really good shooting but in most cases a combination of both. All the talk about them loosing the kids to west brook and being small seems like it was all wasted breath. Im sure ill be able to catch a few games after the hawks make a long football playoff run. but is always tough for me Ive been torn between home ( silsbee) and my new love hate relationship of HJ lol

Nope...it does matter who the opponent is.  I know they were missing a couple guys too, but WOS was probably missing almost the entire team to football.  Not only that...they probably aren't real solid WITH their varsity kids from football. A varsity team ringing up over 100 on basically a JV team is expected.  This game shouldn't have been played.

46 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Nope...it does matter who the opponent is.  I know they were missing a couple guys too, but WOS was probably missing almost the entire team to football.  Not only that...they probably aren't real solid WITH their varsity kids from football. A varsity team ringing up over 100 on basically a JV team is expected.  This game shouldn't have been played.

Coach Davis has tremendously upgraded the Hawks schedule since taking over.  And although this turned out to be a "walk" for HJ, I don't think scheduling  former district rival (who is a playoff team more often than not recently) was a stretch.  

8 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Coach Davis has tremendously upgraded the Hawks schedule since taking over.  And although this turned out to be a "walk" for HJ, I don't think scheduling  former district rival (who is a playoff team more often than not recently) was a stretch.  

I'm not saying it was a bad one to put on the schedule...but after realizing the football team was again involved in a deep run...might not have been necessary.  Unless you just want a win on the record...or give a bunch of younger kids a chance to get some court time.  I don't know...just me.

22 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I'm not saying it was a bad one to put on the schedule...but after realizing the football team was again involved in a deep run...might not have been necessary.  Unless you just want a win on the record...or give a bunch of younger kids a chance to get some court time.  I don't know...just me.

both teams were missing football players and from what I hear  H J had three regular basketball players out with injury. I wasnt knocking wos at all by my earlier post everyone in the state of Texas understands Basketball will be difficult well into December for them. but obvious credit has to be given to the H J staff. not ranked ,only  1 returner and two big transfers to BISD. and the hawks still come out on top BIG. WE ALL CAN SAY THEY DID THEIR JOB!!!! 

3 minutes ago, Barney Fife said:

both teams were missing football players and from what I hear  H J had three regular basketball players out with injury. I wasnt knocking wos at all by my earlier post everyone in the state of Texas understands Basketball will be difficult well into December for them. but obvious credit has to be given to the H J staff. not ranked ,only  1 returner and two big transfers to BISD. and the hawks still come out on top BIG. WE ALL CAN SAY THEY DID THEIR JOB!!!! 

I'm not saying you were knocking anyone.  I'm just saying that competition, does in fact, matter...especially in this case.  Even if HJ was missing a few players or however many...WOS is not great even with their entire varsity roster.  Last year they had a state championship football team and were sub-par (at the very best) in basketball.  With the same kids.  So no.  It's not as impressive as the score may indicate.  Even with missing players..a school like HJ, with probably several straight basketball kids, and as much tradition as most schools anywhere...ringing up 100 on a team that isn't very good to begin with and has 90% of their kids missing on top of that...isn't very impressive.

Not a knock on anyone.  It just is what it is.

The Hawks look like a club that is really having fun playing together. I'm sure there will be some growing pains as always with young teams but they have a ton of potential. Looked like a well balanced group 1-10 from what I saw. Defensively they looked pretty quick , they will be fun to watch.