Best Texas High School Team Ever

BADSANTA

8 minutes ago, SFA85 said:

'85 Yates 83 Dangerfield

I remember Coach Hooks saying that was the best high school team he ever saw. And to think WO-S had a real shot at beating them. That team had something like 14 (?) college scholarship players. Some of them were 2nd teamers who didn't play that much. Incredibly talented team. 

Carter didn't even win their district that year.  They were runner-up behind Duncanville.  They were waaaay overhyped because of the book and movie.  It's really difficult to compare teams over decades because the game has evolved so much.  Waco in the 1920's had a stretch allowing less points than Daingerfield and made six state finals in a row.  Abilene in the 1920's and 1950's.  They went one year only allowing 3 points and that was to Waco in the state championship.  Big Sandy in the early 1970's set scoring and defensive records.

WOS was tied with Houston Yates 6-6 in the 4th quarter leading in penetrations until Yates scored two TDs at the very end to win it in 1985.  I was at that game at the dome.  One of the saddest drives home ever.

15 minutes ago, Goblin said:

Carter didn't even win their district that year.  They were runner-up behind Duncanville.  They were waaaay overhyped because of the book and movie.  It's really difficult to compare teams over decades because the game has evolved so much.  Waco in the 1920's had a stretch allowing less points than Daingerfield and made six state finals in a row.  Abilene in the 1920's and 1950's.  They went one year only allowing 3 points and that was to Waco in the state championship.  Big Sandy in the early 1970's set scoring and defensive records.

WOS was tied with Houston Yates 6-6 in the 4th quarter leading in penetrations until Yates scored two TDs at the very end to win it in 1985.  I was at that game at the dome.  One of the saddest drives home ever.

I believe Carter also had the state championship trophy they won that year stripped and given to Converse Judson due to them using Ineligible Players! 

3 hours ago, Goblin said:

I was there also, we got inside the 20 several times , But lost our big fullback on a kick return or coverage team and we just couldn't punch it in.  I think it was Eric ?? .  Brian Cleveland was also on that team , and I think Andre Robertson was QB.

1 hour ago, MMstangfan said:

I was there also, we got inside the 20 several times , But lost our big fullback on a kick return or coverage team and we just couldn't punch it in.  I think it was Eric ?? .  Brian Cleveland was also on that team , and I think Andre Robertson was QB.

on that team. Eric Willams and Rodrick Robertson was QB

3 hours ago, studd88 said:

Eric was the RB that got hurt. Cleveland was a stud.

Eric Williams was injured the week before against Baytown Sterling. Also, we were without Jim Bob Aven, who was all district center. Nothing against Dwayne Young (his replacement), but we could have used Jim Bob against that middle LB from Yates - Melvin Foster. He was the #1 recruit in the state that year. 

5 hours ago, MMstangfan said:

Was Ernest Anderson on that team as well?