Best Texas High School Team Ever

BADSANTA

I've been around and the best team I've ever seen play was the 85 Yates Lions..They really looked like an Alabama 1-B team, with so many athletes...The thing that seperrates them from other good teams was the Oline and Dline play, probably one of the biggest lines I've seen on the Highschool level and just how they handled Odessa was amazing..W.O.S played them the toughest out of any team in the State I must say

my dad always told me about the Abilene Teams from the 50's from when he played

my picks

1.85 Yates Probably the Best Highschool team ever in my opinion 

2.83 Dangerfield Had the Bama Defense but I seen them get shutdown on offense,.

3.1973 John Tyler with Earl Campbell was so good, wen to the game when they played Lee...Talk about Epic

4. 03 North Shore Loaded up on talent with Bobby Reid at QB

5. 96 Westlake Standout Defnese with Drew Brees a Team QB...very good team

*2015 Katy, and 1973 Big Sandy 

You can never discredit anything the smaller schools do but there is a reason they separate classes by enrollment numbers. The being said it's hard to argue with the Dangerfield team in '83. I think two teams are tied for the best ever though, '85 Yates Lions and '15 Katy Tigers. In a time when people didn't throw the ball nearly as much Yates ended the season with over 100 team sacks and set a regular season scoring record at the time. 30 years later in the spread era Katy pitches ten shutouts and only gives up 2.6 points per game. Yates gets the nostalgia pass but the '15 Katy team is the best I've laid my eyes on during my adult life.  

'83 Daingerfield was to this day the best team I ever saw.  The Everetts were amazing and that defense was the nastiest I have seen.   (The current Mustangs D reminds me of the Tigers in the way they play).  You will never convince me Daingerfield wouldn't have beaten Judson that year (Who won 5A).   The 88 Carter team put a ridiculous amount of players at the next level, the best being Jesse Armstead.   But they weren't especially dominant as has been mentioned.  I never saw the 85 Yates team but many of my WOS friends swear that team was the best.  The second best team I probably saw was the 86 and 87 Plano teams that won back to back.  Their Oline was massive and dominant and would have given most teams fits.  

7 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

You can never discredit anything the smaller schools do but there is a reason they separate classes by enrollment numbers. The being said it's hard to argue with the Dangerfield team in '83. I think two teams are tied for the best ever though, '85 Yates Lions and '15 Katy Tigers. In a time when people didn't throw the ball nearly as much Yates ended the season with over 100 team sacks and set a regular season scoring record at the time. 30 years later in the spread era Katy pitches ten shutouts and only gives up 2.6 points per game. Yates gets the nostalgia pass but the '15 Katy team is the best I've laid my eyes on during my adult life.  

I agree about Katy Tigers last year. Best team I've ever watched.