2016 Election

six burg

22 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Well, I know many of you are happy, many guardedly optimistic, and some just relieved.  Whatever the case, for those voting Trump, congrats.  Most expected a historic election and we got one.  I don't think the prognosticators have ever gotten it so wrong.  BSWildcats and I enjoyed watching some basketball last night and saw some early returns.  We both spoke about how Trump might have a chance if there were a lot of people out there who were voting for him but not admitting to it.  The old Reagan "silent majority."

I will say that while I was by no means a Trump supporter, I am now truly pulling for him.  No matter who our President is, he represents us all and we should all hope for the best.  And while I was quite surprised last night, I hope I am pleasantly surprised during his term in office. 

Good statement, I agree with this, and hope I am pleasantly surprised as well.

43 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Well, I know many of you are happy, many guardedly optimistic, and some just relieved.  Whatever the case, for those voting Trump, congrats.  Most expected a historic election and we got one.  I don't think the prognosticators have ever gotten it so wrong.  BSWildcats and I enjoyed watching some basketball last night and saw some early returns.  We both spoke about how Trump might have a chance if there were a lot of people out there who were voting for him but not admitting to it.  The old Reagan "silent majority."

I will say that while I was by no means a Trump supporter, I am now truly pulling for him.  No matter who our President is, he represents us all and we should all hope for the best.  And while I was quite surprised last night, I hope I am pleasantly surprised during his term in office. 

Great post Hoops.  And I'd hope the majority of Democrats would take a similar position.  And your last line is something I, and I'd think the majority who voted for Trump, will echo.  You're aware that an enormous number of those votes that Trump got, were not actually for him, but were against Hillary.  To middle America, she exemplifies the worst in politics.  I hope, and pray, that this brash Yankee business man will do a great job.

13 minutes ago, baddog said:

Nothing personal, just that this stuff has been hashed and rehashed so many times that to bring it up now is the dead horse beating. I have Obama a chance and he screwed the pooch. let's give Trump a chance.

Obama will most likely leave office with the highest approval rating since Reagan, even though he's dealt with unprecedented obstructionism in congress. Pretty hard to call that screwing the pooch but the people on this site are from Trump's base type areas so that's going to be a common view. I don't think it's a coincidence that in a year we elect the most exclusionist president since pre-reconstruction that David Duke also reaches a high enough percentage to compete in the Louisiana senate debates. There's a sect of American society that the courts ruled against in the 1960's that was just re-vindicated through the electoral college, I don't think that's a good thing.    

9 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Obama will most likely leave office with the highest approval rating since Reagan, even though he's dealt with unprecedented obstructionism in congress. Pretty hard to call that screwing the pooch but the people on this site are from Trump's base type areas so that's going to be a common view. I don't think it's a coincidence that in a year we elect the most exclusionist president since pre-reconstruction that David Duke also reaches a high enough percentage to compete in the Louisiana senate debates. There's a sect of American society that the courts ruled against in the 1960's that was just re-vindicated through the electoral college, I don't think that's a good thing.    

Trump was not my choice as was with so many on this board. It was more an anti-Hillary  rejoicing. Obama with a high rating says lots about this country. Obamacare, the Iran deal, instigating racial intervention of police actions, encouraging the influx of Syrian refugees knowing full well how dangerous that is to the average American, his futile attempts at gun control, leaving Iraq too soon creating Isis, his stand offish gestures to France and Israel, his backing of Clinton as Secretary of State, Solyndra....etc.  yet he gets high ratings for that?Give me a break.

42 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Good post, very mature. Even though this is the 6th time in 7 elections republicans will lose the popular vote your post is a prime example of why Trump killed it with non-college educated white males. Vey myopic views on substantive issues.  

Hopefully this will be the final death blow to liberalism and the dimocrap party.........

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

I cannot agree with this. 

I think the silent majority was from Nixon.

:)

During the anti-war protests and riots from his first term many said that Nixon was finished and he said the people that were not protesting was the silent majority. He was correct to the tune of a second term landslide. Of course he botched that term with the Watergate coverup but that is a different issue.    

I don't think the Reagan supporters were ever silent. He completely annihilated the  competition in his reelection bid with a stunning margin. 

43 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I respect your opinion.  We all have a different take.  Don't even remotely agree with your insinuating that Trump's election is due to folks wanting to go back to segragation.  Imo, his election is the fault of the Democratic Party.  The fact that they essentially only had two primary candidates, Hillary and Bernie (who was not even a Dem) both with enough baggage to sink an ocean liner.  

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Sad day for people like me. Maybe not to the same extent but I can understand what some of the people of Alabama felt like when George Wallace got elected. It just goes to show anti-Semitism, exclusionism and overt racism still has its place in today's society. We literally have a president elect that was sued and had to settle a housing discrimination suit and whose dad, Fred Trump, was arrested at a KKK rally protesting the immigration of Jews into the country. The state of New York had to settle with the Central Park 5 for over $40million for a wrongful conviction, yet Trump pushed that rhetoric much like he tried to delegitimize Obama's presidency by saying he wasn't an American citizen until a few months ago.

Mitt Romney shot himself in the foot when he said a certain percentage of American don't pay taxes, lots of republicans agree with that. Now you have a guy admitting that he hasn't paid income tax in two decades and he's seen as "smart". The same people that believe he'll bring back don't realize how many people he put out of work by filing bankruptcy 6 different times, stiffing small business owners as well as other creditors along the way. Not to mention he still owes around $650million to foreign banks like the state owned Bank of China. What people will also realize is that republican aren't beholden to the middle class and that trickle-down economics favored by the right doesn't work. The people that run companies, especially ones that are publicly traded, main objective is to get maximum return on the dollar for their investors. If a company has the option of hiring 5k people to support their human resources and payroll at US wage rates or the option of hiring 5k people in India or Argentina at their rates, you kiss those jobs goodbye like many large corporations have. All the multibillion dollar fabrication jobs that can be performed cheaper in Mexico and Korea are still going be performed in Mexico and Korea because as an owner of a company that's smart business.     

I honestly think people are suckers if you believe even with a conservative supreme court that republicans will repeal Obamacare and take 20+million people off of health insurance, lock Hillary Clinton up, build a wall and have Mexico pay for it, ban Muslims from entering the country or put together a deportation force. At the end of the day he won't fulfill any of the promises that made the faction of his supports so fervent, just like every other politician he railed against.    

Overt racism- how did Mr. Obama get elected and re-elected?  Please show me PRECISELY where Mr. Trump SAID that he hadn't paid taxes in two decades>  I want give you a small clue about business: they are operating with the express intent of making a profit as opposed to promising jobs and benefits to X number of people-  Its sure your right to believe what you want about the wall, locking Hillary up, banning Muslims, yada yada yada.  I felt the same way when I heard these words:  I will build a 21st Century VA- My stimulus program will provide shovel ready jobs- I will have the most transparent administration in history- there is not one smidgen of corruption at the IRS- If you like your doctor/health care plan, you can keep them- My affordable care act will reduce the average health insurance premium annually by $2500-  Need I go further?

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Good post, very mature. Even though this is the 6th time in 7 elections republicans will lose the popular vote your post is a prime example of why Trump killed it with non-college educated white males. Vey myopic views on substantive issues.  

Actually on the non-college educated white males, I just heard a news report that college educated white males voted for Trump 4% more than Hillary.  

45 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

I cannot agree with this. 

I think the silent majority was from Nixon.

:)

During the anti-war protests and riots from his first term many said that Nixon was finished and he said the people that were not protesting was the silent majority. He was correct to the tune of a second term landslide. Of course he botched that term with the Watergate coverup but that is a different issue.    

I don't think the Reagan supporters were ever silent. He completely annihilated the  competition in his reelection bid with a stunning margin. 

My mistake.  You are too right.  I thought I remembered the term being bantered re: Reagan's initial run.   But definitely coined during the Nixon era. 

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Obviously you mean't to say males (not swayed by the liberal university, professors, teachers which have politicized our education system) due to the fact they were not fooled by the rhetoric? Does't that make the oilfield men, cowboys, carpenters, plumbers, farmers, electricians, clerks, truckdrivers, welders, mechanics, and all the hard working self reliant folks=(smarter than the entitiled elite.)