Texas A&M ranked #4

PhatMack19

So Sip, where in my quote did I say "Very Strong Programs"? Perhaps a reading lesson is in order. I believe I said teams over .500 if I am reading my post correctly. If you want to throw down some numbers, perhaps you need to check all the facts and not just the ones that benefit your argument. We are talking about A&M and Washington here, but you neglected to post Washington numbers, so let me oblige you. 

Washington vs

Rutgers  2-6  (0-5)

Idaho 4-4 (2-2)

Portland State 2-6 (1-4)

Arizona 2-6 (0-5)  Score was 35-28 vs a team with no wins in Pac 12

Stanford 5-3 (3-3)

Oregon 3-5 (1-4)

Oregon St. 2-6 (1-4)

Utah 7-2 (4-2)

For a total of 27-38

Combined win % of .415

Aggie opponents on the other hand are 30-26 (In a much better conference mind you, I don't care what Big 12-2+1 fans say)

Combined win % .535  (.120 HIGHER than Washington)

These are the types of analytics that the committee looks at. They are not interested in generalizations like "strong programs". Facts are facts, even if myopic sip fans don't like them.

15 minutes ago, Lukethadrifter said:

So Sip, where in my quote did I say "Very Strong Programs"? Perhaps a reading lesson is in order. I believe I said teams over .500 if I am reading my post correctly. If you want to throw down some numbers, perhaps you need to check all the facts and not just the ones that benefit your argument. We are talking about A&M and Washington here, but you neglected to post Washington numbers, so let me oblige you. 

Washington vs

Rutgers  2-6  (0-5)

Idaho 4-4 (2-2)

Portland State 2-6 (1-4)

Arizona 2-6 (0-5)  Score was 35-28 vs a team with no wins in Pac 12

Stanford 5-3 (3-3)

Oregon 3-5 (1-4)

Oregon St. 2-6 (1-4)

Utah 7-2 (4-2)

For a total of 27-38

Combined win % of .415

Aggie opponents on the other hand are 30-26 (In a much better conference mind you, I don't care what Big 12-2+1 fans say)

Combined win % .535  (.120 HIGHER than Washington)

These are the types of analytics that the committee looks at. They are not interested in generalizations like "strong programs". Facts are facts, even if myopic sip fans don't like them.

Too many big words.

Good luck. We will talk again in four weeks.

Bottom line is this, I think they got it right for NOW. Like I said earlier, an undefeated Washington vs a one loss A&M and I truly believe the Ags get left out, but I dont think either will happen. I do not see A&M beating LSU and Ole MIss. Maybe one, but not both. Washington will get theirs as well from USC, AZ State, or Cal. Hell, Leach has Wash St back in top 25 and that could be a rough one for the Huskies. Obviously I am an Ag fan, but not a myopic one. 

Washington got punished for their out of conference schedule.  If they win out, they are in no matter what A&M does.  The committee had things easy with only 4 unbeatens, but chose to make a statement that they want teams to schedule better.  That's bad news for teams that schedule like Baylor.  

The big thing for A&M in this poll is being ranked ahead of Louisville.  Louisville doesn't have the remaining schedule to jump A&M if both win out.  

2 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

Washington got punished for their out of conference schedule.  If they win out, they are in no matter what A&M does.  The committee had things easy with only 4 unbeatens, but chose to make a statement that they want teams to schedule better.  That's bad news for teams that schedule like Baylor.  

Baylor called and wondered if they could have the numbers of the ADs at Prairie View A&M, New Mexico St. and UTSA so they can bolster their schedule like aggy.  Believe me when I say you are going to hear plenty about that holy trinity of garbage if you keep winning.

The big thing for A&M in this poll is being ranked ahead of Louisville.  Louisville doesn't have the remaining schedule to jump A&M if both win out.  

But they have the superstar people are going to want to see if they win out.  The playoffs last year got horrible ratings last year and the network execs weren't happy.  There is a TON of money invested in this new system and they are going to want some ROI.  To date, Louisvile has the second highest rated game of the year (behind UT/ND of course) at over 9 mil (the former viewed by almost 11 mil).  That game was followed closely by Ohio State/Wisconsin at just under 9 mil. This thing is still about the money, despite what they tell you.  And Lamar Jackson is the face of CFB this year. 

Baylor should call Washington and see if they can schedule Rutgers, Idaho, and Portland St.  A&M beat UCLA.  Washington doesn't even play them, nor red hot Colorado.  SEC is much tougher, and the Ags dont get to draw pansies Vanderbilt, Mizzou, or Kentucky.   Aggies schedule much tougher, but yes, of course an undefeated Washington would eventually jump the Ags.  I'm fine with it.

Washington also beat a respectable Stanford team by 38 and Oregon by 49 (yes 49).  Granted, Oregon is a far cry from where it once was but #10 Nebraska needed a game ending miracle to beat them.  The Ducks also just beat ASU by 19, the same ASU team that narrowly beat UCLA (like A&M did).  And of course UW just beat a tough Utah team on the road.  So unless we are teleporting back to when the SEC was actually as tough as aggy seems to think it still is, Washington's resume' is more impressive than aggy.  You have one win as impressive as at least 3 of Washington's, Auburn. And like Washington, your OOC schedule is garbage.  

3 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Baylor called and wondered if they could have the numbers of the ADs at Prairie View A&M, New Mexico St. and UTSA so they can bolster their schedule like aggy.  Believe me when I say you are going to hear plenty about that holy trinity of garbage if you keep winning.

But they have the superstar people are going to want to see if they win out.  The playoffs last year got horrible ratings last year and the network execs weren't happy.  There is a TON of money invested in this new system and they are going to want some ROI.  To date, Louisvile has the second highest rated game of the year (behind UT/ND of course) at over 9 mil (the former viewed by almost 11 mil).  That game was followed closely by Ohio State/Wisconsin at just under 9 mil. This thing is still about the money, despite what they tell you.  And Lamar Jackson is the face of CFB this year. 

Baylor's schedule is garbage. The big 12 backloads the schedules where all of the good teams are playing each other late in the year.  You would think they would have learned by now that it's better to lose early than late. 

I agree about Jackson being good for ratings especially if he wins the Heisman.  The reason the games got low ratings last year is that they were on New Years Eve night and both games were blowouts.  37-17 and 38-0 aren't going to keep many people from watching Dick Clark.  This year they are trying New Years Eve again, but after that it will not be.  

3 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

Baylor's schedule is garbage. The big 12 backloads the schedules where all of the good teams are playing each other late in the year.  You would think they would have learned by now that it's better to lose early than late. 

I agree about Jackson being good for ratings especially if he wins the Heisman.  The reason the games got low ratings last year is that they were on New Years Eve night and both games were blowouts.  37-17 and 38-0 aren't going to keep many people from watching Dick Clark.  This year they are trying New Years Eve again, but after that it will not be.  

Exactly about the games and New Year's Eve.   And about same problem THIS year.  

On 11/1/2016 at 11:29 AM, Bandwagon Ranger said:

Pretty sure the Husky fans are the ones who are pissed.

Aggy is like a pimple- Harmless yet irritating and unattractive, but eventually they peak and pop then go away.

You may be right but I do not know one single Husky fan - but I do know a lot of Horn fans and most of them are fit to be tied that A&M is even mentioned in the discussion - I think it is funny.

Would love to see Horn fans squirm if A&M were to pull of the incredible and make the playoffs - still a long long shot but not out of the realm of possibility.  

This was supposed to be a disaster year after the two QB's bolted and the A&M program (from outside sources) was in total disarray - now 7 - 1 and ranked No. 7 nationally and 4 in the playoff rankings - gotta admit it is good to be an A&M fan on this day - just hope it lasts - but today is a good day.

The fact that anyone can argue a Pac 12 school's schedule is tougher than any SEC school, especially one that has it opponents at a whole .100 % points combined winning percentage behind the Ags, wreaks of lib-sip math. I am betting the farm Washington eventually ends up ahead of the Ags and I am Ok with that, but don't tell me that Portland State, Idaho, or Rutgers (8-16) are any better than the 3 ooc teams A&M play (11-13). C'mon man!!

And if we are gonna throw Stanford and Oregon up on a pedestal, then you must also mention that they squeaked by a horrible Arizona team (2-6, 0-5) 

47 minutes ago, Lukethadrifter said:

The fact that anyone can argue a Pac 12 school's schedule is tougher than any SEC school, especially one that has it opponents at a whole .100 % points combined winning percentage behind the Ags, wreaks of lib-sip math. I am betting the farm Washington eventually ends up ahead of the Ags and I am Ok with that, but don't tell me that Portland State, Idaho, or Rutgers (8-16) are any better than the 3 ooc teams A&M play (11-13). C'mon man!!

And if we are gonna throw Stanford and Oregon up on a pedestal, then you must also mention that they squeaked by a horrible Arizona team (2-6, 0-5) 

What the pundits are saying

This is the hidden content, please

a one loss sec team that doesn't win conference, will not take a slot from undefeated PAC 12 Champion.

Washington has had a cupcake schedule so far.  3 sorry non conference games, a slumping Stanford, bottom feeder Oregon St, 50 points a game Oregon, plus needed oT to beat the Zona, and needed a late punt return to beat the Utes.  They probably won't finish undefeated anyway with Cal, USC, Az St, and Wash St left.  

I don't really care one way or another.  It's kind of a weird issue at this point.  Yes, the Ags have played a tougher schedule, but it hasn't been THAT much tougher with the exception of Bama.  Who beat them by 3 scores.  At what point do you give credit for the tougher schedule and at what point do you take away for losing?  I will say this, the Ags schedule is about to get a lot tougher, and if they win out I have no problem with them being ranked over Washington.