West Orange-Stark 32 Liberty 7/FINAL

WOSgrad

First half time of possession was 3:12 for WO-S and the other 20 mins and change for Liberty, who had a six-point deficit to show for it. WO-S scored at will when they had the ball except for one possession. In the end, WO-S ended up with more yards on less than half the plays. Liberty's wacky little offense got a score and played solid keep-away, but the defense was absolutely nonexistent.

Total domination, even if the score is not as lopsided. 

1 hour ago, XX Man said:

Kicker, you at the game? 

Yep, I was there. I have to say that I'm impressed what the Liberty coach did but also disappointed. Yes, sometimes the best defense is to keep the other teams offense off the field, but who was at that game clearly saw a mentally defeated Liberty. All they wanted to do was not lose bad, not win the game. Go hard or go home, don't play keep away because you throw in the towel 30 seconds into the first quarter. What hurt us is that we score in less than a minute, we don't have 20 minute drives. The Liberty coach knew that and tried some strange wing,slot, veer,pistol T offense. Of course it worked for a little bit, but not long. You play to win, not play to "Not lose that bad".

3 minutes ago, kicker said:

Yep, I was there. I have to say that I'm impressed what the Liberty coach did but also disappointed. Yes, sometimes the best defense is to keep the other teams offense off the field, but who was at that game clearly saw a mentally defeated Liberty. All they wanted to do was not lose bad, not win the game. Go hard or go home, don't play keep away because you throw in the towel 30 seconds into the first quarter. What hurt us is that we score in less than a minute, we don't have 20 minute drives. The Liberty coach knew that and tried some strange wing,slot, veer,pistol T offense. Of course it worked for a little bit, but not long. You play to win, not play to "Not lose that bad".

thank you...that's all I was trying to say.

2 minutes ago, CMurder75 said:

20 mins of letting the other team having the ball in one half isnt good defense? I'm not saying WOS didn't beat them soundly but give the kids from liberty a little credit. holding onto the ball for such a long time is hard enough, let alone punching one in on WOS. 

Never bashed the kids, never will but the coach? He literally played "Not to lose too bad" offense. That's calling uncle in my opinion.

This game is in the rear view mirror now, it seems to me when your the best people want find any small flaw to have something negative to say  since they didn't lose the game just like Alabama and a&m game and in the end  the better team won bottom line so I don't wanna hear  that it close or wos didn't put 60. 9 and 0 is all that matters smh

56 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I don't think they sacrificed the HJ game for this.  I think there was a complete lack of focus.  They just thought the HJ game was gonna be an easy win.  I think.

Word I got from a reliable source sitting next to me in the stands who is the biggest Dayton fan in the Liberty county is that the Panthers had the week off due to the fair and only practiced once prior to the HJ game.

18 minutes ago, WOS99 said:

First half time of possession was 3:12 for WO-S and the other 20 mins and change for Liberty, who had a six-point deficit to show for it. WO-S scored at will when they had the ball except for one possession. In the end, WO-S ended up with more yards on less than half the plays. Liberty's wacky little offense got a score and played solid keep-away, but the defense was absolutely nonexistent.

Total domination, even if the score is not as lopsided. 

With about 8 min left in the 2nd qt Liberty was on their 45 and I said the way they were running the clock they don't have enough time to score.I was right.That type of game plan want work against an offense like WO-S.I think every time except one WO-S had the ball they scored.They have some size and can move the ball 4 -5 yards a clip but a good D and a good offense will do them in.Good Liberty in the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, robanadana said:

Word I got from a reliable source sitting next to me in the stands who is the biggest Dayton fan in the Liberty county is that the Panthers had the week off due to the fair and only practiced once prior to the HJ game.

could you imagine coach T saying..."Since there is a carnival. you guys get the week off!" LOL

I get what you guys are saying. Im just playing the devils advocate but when you know your playing a team you know has a more potent offense, keeping the ball out of their hand can work in your favor. imagine if the game went back and forth like it did in the 1st half? you have a chance to win the game. if you try to play mustang football your not going to win. If they could of kept it close enough for a last field goal they have the better kicker. he will hit one from 40+ in the final seconds. lol I don't think that means you're giving up, just a different approach. I'm sure after brown went out and wos went up a couple scores, their morale was pretty shot. It just kind of seems odd to blame a team for giving it what they see as their best shot. 

2 minutes ago, kicker said:

Uhh, Thanksgiving wasn't even a reason for a day off. We would practice Thanksgiving morning. Seriously!!

Yeah I know he would...been through the program. 

Crazy how some of these other programs are...playing not to get blown out lol. Goal line D the whole game haha!

all the right moves

16 minutes ago, CMurder75 said:

I get what you guys are saying. Im just playing the devils advocate but when you know your playing a team you know has a more potent offense, keeping the ball out of their hand can work in your favor. imagine if the game went back and forth like it did in the 1st half? you have a chance to win the game. if you try to play mustang football your not going to win. If they could of kept it close enough for a last field goal they have the better kicker. he will hit one from 40+ in the final seconds. lol I don't think that means you're giving up, just a different approach. I'm sure after brown went out and wos went up a couple scores, their morale was pretty shot. It just kind of seems odd to blame a team for giving it what they see as their best shot. 

I will agree with that but you have to score when you use that much clock are it doesn't mean anything.WO-S only had the ball for about 5/6 possessions but they scored.

I give Liberty major props.  They used every trick in the book.  If they had a pass defense they might have had an actual chance.  It's all fine and dandy to rush 3 yards every play and go for it every 4th down and go for an onside kick to start the 2nd half but if you can't stop the other team from scoring it's futile.

46 minutes ago, robanadana said:

That's exactly what I said last week.  No school, screwed up practice schedule, made a top 10 ranking,... I encountered absolute scrutiny.

Whatever.  I just said that Liberty was a better team, but lost the game.  Apparently that's not possible 

1 hour ago, 3rdone said:

Yes it is a good plan..I stated that. The only problem is that they CLEARLY sacrificed the HJ game to work on this. WOS would NEVER do that regardless of opponent.

Why do you comment on things you have no knowledge of?  Liberty did not sacrifice one game for the next.  HJ caught Liberty playing out of their normal routine, which is what they did tonight..pound the ball down the field.  Instead, Liberty tried to air it out and paid for it.  This was a return to what they do best.  And it was a decent showing against a superior team.  How about just giving a little props and stop trying to over-analyze things?

What a bunch of baloney to think Liberty played not to get blowed out.  Those kids played their hearts out to win this game.  The played the same running offense they have played all year with a wrinkle or two.  Just like most teams do from week to week to give the opponents a new look.  They played the only offense that gave the even a remote chance to win the game..ground and pound.  Use your strengths (size) and keep the ball out of the explosive hands of WO-S.  Was a great game plan by the coaches and they deserve credit not criticism for playing not too lose too bad.  

As far as the RB he was ganged talked by all 11 players.  He head the ground pretty hard as he went under the horde.  Was a good play by WO-S, but honestly the other back was having a better night anyways.

3 minutes ago, ST413 said:

What was the different offense that liberty ran?

Dang if I know. Combination of slot t,wing t,veer.Coach T replaced a linebacker with another lineman in the second half and slowed them up some what.Instead of 5,6 yards they were only getting 3,4 yards,lol

7 minutes ago, ST413 said:

What was the different offense that liberty ran?

There wasn't. liltex sat with me tonight and said the Wing T is their normal offense. I thought they ran it well. They just needed to score when they got past the 30 and get a couple of stops against WOS offense. Neither happened...WOS offense was just too powerful. Liberty is a good team but WOS is the top tier. C'mon man, they're the defending state champs.

18 minutes ago, Goblin said:

I give Liberty major props.  They used every trick in the book.  If they had a pass defense they might have had an actual chance.  It's all fine and dandy to rush 3 yards every play and go for it every 4th down and go for an onside kick to start the 2nd half but if you can't stop the other team from scoring it's futile.

I give their coach major props too, Goblin. Reminded me of some of the things Jeff Mathews does. His ONLY chance was to keep WOS offense off the field. They drove the ball well...just couldn't punch it in. WOS is the premier 4A team in the state, period.