PA passing attack vs PNG???

503Raised

Where was Memorial's passing attack against PNG.  You have a 6'4 and 6'2 wide out and talent and speed in the slots.  The two better wrs, Angelle and Jones were invisible. Wth.  Hines is a beast, but this team is supposed to be loaded, right.  I aslo heard PNG wasn't good in the seconday, how was the passing attack non existent.  How does a soon more throw more deep ball than a supposed seasoned 3 yr starting senior? I love my home team, but what's really going on?

Most coaches remember the Darrell Royal saying that "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad."   So why, if you can run the ball effectively.....and with Elijah Hines, PAM can run the ball effectively....would you put the ball up in the air?

PAM won! Enjoy it!

I agree with every point made, but does anyone think you make a deep run in the playoffs being one dimensional on offense.  I'm looking at the long term effects of not having a consistent balanced offense.  Sooner or later, someone is bound to go down, but a balanced offense would keep you in the game against an opponent the likes of Manvel/Cedar Park, etc.  Even when they repeat a lot of the same passing plays.  I agree that was the best solution for what was transpiring in the game, but you can't tell me you don't have more plays to open up the passing game.  To me, some kind of consistent passing game opens up the run game even more.

I'm not the coach and I don't claim to be one, but you should have more plays geared to get the ball in the hands of your college level receivers.  You can't rely just on Hines in the playoffs.  DC's are going to game play to stop him, and when that happens, where do you go if you haven't been preparing for it.

I'm not a cynical person, my friend turned me on to this site cuz he knows I love talking football.  Just passing the time while at work, stirring up conversation.  We talk about SETX football daily.

I agree with you 503Raised to an extent....I realize the run was working (more in the 2nd half then 1st) but if you don't ever spend the time in the game working on those mechanics, then what happens when you get to the playoffs and need to throw the ball downfield. I would have thought this would have been the perfect time to work on this with the PNG secondary being their question mark and undersized corners.

One thing PAM needs to address though is why Hines was only able to run into a 5 man box. The first thing I said after that game is that PNG deserved to lose because they refused to make the adjustment to leave a 6 man box on 3rd down and Hines torched them. They had back to back possessions in the 3rd quarter where they had the 6 man box on 1st and 2nd down and stopped Hines, then moved one backer out and Hines torched them. I'd assume 80-100 of his 300 yards came on those two possessions, where PAM was stuck at 3rd and 6 and 3rd and 7.  That lets me know that PAM's offensive line needs work, because Hines was having to carry the load when they had the advantage, but against a base defense, PAM's line was not showing up.

I'm not saying they're atrocious passing the ball, but that interception was due to repetitive usage of the same play.  Sooner or later, the defenders themselves will catch on.  They gained many yards on that play vs teams that weren't that good, but when they lock in on it, you have to defer to different plays in the playbook, and they consistently use a lot of the same plays.  Thats just my humble opinion.  Hines is tough as nails from what I saw, but he isn't big enough to take the punishment that will be dealt out by those upper echelon schools they could face in the playoff running the amount of times they'll probably have him run.

Just now, Footballfan1209 said:

I agree with you 503Raised to an extent....I realize the run was working (more in the 2nd half then 1st) but if you don't ever spend the time in the game working on those mechanics, then what happens when you get to the playoffs and need to throw the ball downfield. I would have thought this would have been the perfect time to work on this with the PNG secondary being their question mark and undersized corners.

You can work on the short (10-12 yard) passing game repeatedly in practice.  Timing, routes, execution.  Get that down & you will have that weapon in game play.  Let the run work, if it doesn't, throw the short, quick passes to back the defense up & then run some more.  In the playoffs, speed will cover speed after the first 2 rounds. That run game & short passing game will eat the clock & win games. Long passes are not going to be there in the later playoff rounds due to quarterback protection times & defense speed.  Use the weapons you have to your advantage.

2 minutes ago, png9mon said:

You can work on the short (10-12 yard) passing game repeatedly in practice.  Timing, routes, execution.  Get that down & you will have that weapon in game play.  Let the run work, if it doesn't, throw the short, quick passes to back the defense up & then run some more.  In the playoffs, speed will cover speed after the first 2 rounds. That run game & short passing game will eat the clock & win games. Long passes are not going to be there in the later playoff rounds due to quarterback protection times & defense speed.  Use the weapons you have to your advantage.

Good points...... but practice speed and game speed are two different monsters. You have to work on these things during games.

Just now, Coach Frey said:

I was looking at the UIL brackets and it looks like in round 3 of the 5A Division II playoffs, PNG would face off with Brenham. Last Friday night the Cubs put up over 600 yards of rushing. Once you get to the playoffs, if you don't make adjustments, it won't be pretty.

Agree completely.  We have to find a run defense that is effective all the time, not just on & off during the game.  That is key to success.

4 minutes ago, Coach Frey said:

I was looking at the UIL brackets and it looks like in round 3 of the 5A Division II playoffs, PNG would face off with Brenham. Last Friday night the Cubs put up over 600 yards of rushing. Once you get to the playoffs, if you don't make adjustments, it won't be pretty.

where did you look to see possible matchups?

1 minute ago, png9mon said:

Agree completely.  We have to find a run defense that is effective all the time, not just on & off during the game.  That is key to success.

I thought the run defense looked very effective when they kept two backers. That's why it made zero sense to keep bailing one on third down as if they were going to pass downfield. I don't think PAM threw one vertical pass all night.

Just now, Coach Frey said:

I thought the run defense looked very effective when they kept two backers. That's why it made zero sense to keep bailing one on third down as if they were going to pass downfield. I don't think PAM threw one vertical pass all night.

Agree completely! Live & Learn.. Hopefully, coaches will see this & adjust for future games. 

With our defensive issues, I would not expect much of a showing in the playoffs...... Its very hard to outscore week after week the against the talented teams... I told all the rah rahs last year in wee 12 that Angleton was a tough task. Records mean nothing. Good coaching will find a weakness, and defensively, we have a few to many. BH is doing a good job right now of hiding their weaknesses on defense, and thats a difference maker.

i don't like the passes to the side line, BUT when you have a secondary playing 10 yards off you, like everyone said, you take what they give you. now that Hines is on everyone's radar, you will get 6-8 in the box and hopefully Bambi can get out to the Jones, Thomas, and Angelle with single coverage. we did see new plays and wrinkles against PNG. it's just that PNG said you not going to throw deep on us and they took it away. against Lumberton, that game should have been used for passing, BUT looking ahead to PNG and/or taking lumberton too lightly had them stunned for a sec.

12 minutes ago, pakronos said:

i don't like the passes to the side line, BUT when you have a secondary playing 10 yards off you, like everyone said, you take what they give you. now that Hines is on everyone's radar, you will get 6-8 in the box and hopefully Bambi can get out to the Jones, Thomas, and Angelle with single coverage. we did see new plays and wrinkles against PNG. it's just that PNG said you not going to throw deep on us and they took it away. against Lumberton, that game should have been used for passing, BUT looking ahead to PNG and/or taking lumberton too lightly had them stunned for a sec.

If they're playing 5-10 yards off, isn't that a perfect opportunity to run some quick slant or cross routes?  Especially if the other team is blitzing.  Quick slants would have kept them honest.  Get Angelle or Jones the ball with quick slants and I promise you they'll break for more yards than than they could average running screens.

7 hours ago, 503Raised said:

Where was Memorial's passing attack against PNG.  You have a 6'4 and 6'2 wide out and talent and speed in the slots.  The two better wrs, Angelle and Jones were invisible. Wth.  Hines is a beast, but this team is supposed to be loaded, right.  I aslo heard PNG wasn't good in the seconday, how was the passing attack non existent.  How does a soon more throw more deep ball than a supposed seasoned 3 yr starting senior? I love my home team, but what's really going on?

It doesn't appear that Xbox will let Kadon change plays at the line.  Like the pick 6 for example.  The OLB lined up in the space and the CB played up on the WR.  That was a prime opportunity to check out of the WR Screen and possible run the Zone read or just a hand-off to Hines.  Also, I wonder if they have a fake off the WR screen which the receiver flies down the field since the DB's bit on the fake?  I dunno so, you would thing after 3 years starting, the passing game would be more sophisticated........

20 hours ago, Coach Frey said:

PNG has to make it out of the 1st round before even thinking about the 3rd round. Defense has been a problem every year once we hit the playoff's. The day's of PNG having a physical defense are over. Some of the better athlete's should be playing both ways and you would see a better defense. But we tend to play the politic game and keep everyone happy. Everyone play's!

PNG definitely doesn't care about everyone playing.  Their logic behind playing one side of the ball is all about reps in practice and that translating to their performance on the field.  I agree with that in some ways but there are some boys that shouldn't  even be getting close to the field. In certain situations you have to be able to plug in somebody to get a rush, play man on a receiver or be a head hunter with someone coming across the middle.  That is something that we haven't had in a while.  I think 22 could do it but their lack of depth at LB forced them to move him to backer and they "settled" for less.

17 hours ago, 503Raised said:

If they're playing 5-10 yards off, isn't that a perfect opportunity to run some quick slant or cross routes?  Especially if the other team is blitzing.  Quick slants would have kept them honest.  Get Angelle or Jones the ball with quick slants and I promise you they'll break for more yards than than they could average running screens.

You are spot on. Even better, have them run hitches. You could tell the receivers for PAM were far more aggressive than the cover guys for PNG, so just spread them wide near the sidelines, hit a hitch, have them break the open field tackle, and get up field.

Angelle and Jones caught several passes on the line of scrimmage intended for them to run with the ball. That play was called several times and was about the only passing play called. For anyone at that game, however, you had to wonder why PA did anything but run the ball. It was working, and you keep doing that until someone stops it. Hines had over 300 yards rushing for the game, and that's not including a 76-yard TD run called back for a block in the back.