Port Arthur, PN-G rivalry

hsforlife89

I'm looking for a pair, maybe friends or co-workers, one of which roots for Port Arthur Memorial and the other who roots for Port Neches-Groves. I'm writing a story about the rebirth of a local football rivalry and what it means to them to have it back on the schedule. I was hoping the SETXsports community could help me with my search. Any leads, numbers or tips would be extremely helpful and appreciated. Thanks!

- David Thompson, Beaumont Enterprise

409-880-0793

i'll have a story for ya sir....but it won't be about that...seriously though, it's not a "rivalry". the kids at memorial have stated many times, the want their OWN history. this is the first meeting between the schools. to be honest, you would have to find  Thomas Jefferson alumni for a story like you are wanting to print....now my story is gonna be news worthy!

Feel free to use the team history section which includes Jefferson, Lincoln and SFA (originally known as Port Acres) in the Closed/merged programs thread.

Not to fuel the fire more but the first meeting between TJ varsity and Port Neches was in 1944 I believe with Port Arthur winning 89-0 and going on to win the state championship that year.  They met SFA in 1938 for the first time (as Port Acres.) 

My two cents (yes they are wooden cents so worth less than a wooden nickle)...LOL

PNG/PAM is not a rivalry as there is no history between the two schools. The students at neither school have experienced the "thrill of victory or the agony of defeat" at the hands of the other.

PAM as a relatively young school is still building it's traditions and probably still looking for that true, you are the spawn of the devil and we can't stand you at least for the week of the game, rival. PNG on the other hand has been playing football a long time, has well established traditions, and a natural rival in Nederland given the proximity of the communities and the fact that they were playing each other long before they played any of the old Port Arthur schools (if my memory is correct).

There is; however, (I can never remember if the semi-colon or comma comes first LOL) a history of rivalry between the Port Arthur and Portneches/Groves communities and the parents and grandparents that attended PNG, TJ, Lincoln, or SFA can remember quite well the rivalries that did exist in the past. Maybe it is nostalgia, but many remember, perhaps longingly, when tickets were hard to come by, the stadium in Port Neches or Port Arthur would be packed to overflowing, excitement was in the air, and everyone would be pumped up for the game.

I think PAM/PNG has the potential to become that kind of rivalry in the future. PAM/Nederland has a lot of potential as well. A three way battle royal for bragging rights in Mid/South Jefferson County...good stuff if you ask me.

Yes, for the "older" folks it may be a kind of "back to the future" thing...but what is wrong with that? Good football and heated rivalries (old or new) are a big part of the allure of high school football.

16 hours ago, Cheermom4 said:

It took some getting used to but I proudly wear my purple and white!!!!

I could have be an Indian too when I moved out of PA. My child who was going to start school keep asking if we where in Port Neches or Groves and when we said yes he told he didn't like the house. When we told him Nederland he said he liked the house.

I now have a grandson and if he ever went to PNG I would wear Purple for him, but that would be the only reason.

TJ Class 1981

DSC00038.JPG

22 minutes ago, AdvoSETexas said:

I could have be an Indian too when I moved out of PA. My child who was going to start school keep asking if we where in Port Neches or Groves and when we said yes he told he didn't like the house. When we told him Nederland he said he liked the house.

I now have a grandson and if he ever went to PNG I would wear Purple for him, but that would be the only reason.

TJ Class 1981

DSC00038.JPG

Tell that to the chihuahua that bit the pit bull 

1 hour ago, AdvoSETexas said:

TJ Class 1981

DSC00038.JPG

TJ class of 1986 here. I had a sister graduate in 1980. 

One of ours daughters is engaged to a former Bulldog. She wore black and gold for him his Senior year and he wore purple and white for her Senior year.