Question for the experts and zebras

XX Man

Last week, when WOS played BC, WOS made a TD, and no flags were thrown. As WOS is getting ready for the PAT, the BC Coach starts screaming at the Ref. The Refs and Coaches grouped up. Next thing we see, is a yellow flag flying and the TD is erased. The infraction was a chop block on the other side of the field. The story goes that the head Ref asks the Ref on that side of the field, if he saw a chop block, and he said yes. The head Ref says, "You should have thrown a flag", and he throws his flag. Regardless if there was a chop block or not, is Review allowed after the fact, in High School Football? I have never seen this before.

If it was a blown call or no call it should have remained that way.There is no review in high school football that I know of.I have seen coaches plead their case with the Ref's on infractions they should have made and have never seen the Ref's get together because a coach was upset.I never saw Hooks get a review.lol

2 hours ago, walldrill said:

The way I understand it, it is a new rule that was passed fairly late so the officials are having to get used to it. Yes the official on the sideline should have thrown his flag, but the head official did the right thing. Not much different than waiving a flag off. Just get the call right.

So what is this new rule. A coach can ask for refs to review a call/no call, flag or no flag. Can someone explain to me what this new rule is? 

3 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

I don't know that what happened qualifies as a "review."  It was merely the officials getting together to make sure they got the play right and then decided a flag was in order.  It happens quite often, for example, a delayed call on intentional grounding.

This is true Grad, this is not really considered a review.  It may seem odd and the timing is off and it may in fact have been a horrible call, but it is not review.

On 9/16/2016 at 0:15 PM, Brubaker said:

r This is true Grad, this is not really considered a review.  It may seem odd and the timing is off and it may in fact have been a horrible call, but it is not review.

As there was no prior flag, they were not reviewing a violation, but they certainly were reviewing what each other saw, to see of there was a violation. If there was a chop block (and who knows if it was a true chop block), the flag should have been thrown when it was seen. Apparently, the official was not convinced it was a chop block. Either way, it was wrong to wait and throw the flag when the kicker is getting ready for the PAT, thus, icing the kicker. I will also point out, that if the refs are going to start letting the coaches on the sidelines, do their job for them, then we do not need the zebras.

2 hours ago, XX Man said:

As there was no prior flag, they were not reviewing a violation, but they certainly were reviewing what each other saw, to see of there was a violation. If there was a chop block (and who knows if it was a true chop block), the flag should have been thrown when it was seen. Apparently, the official was not convinced it was a chop block. Either way, it was wrong to wait and throw the flag when the kicker is getting ready for the PAT, thus, icing the kicker. I will also point out, that if the refs are going to start letting the coaches on the sidelines, do their job for them, then we do not need the zebras.

Your statement, "If there was a chop block, the flag should have been thrown when it was seen", is my big problem.  So my question to someone who is, or has been an official, if not 100% sure do you throw the flag - discuss with other officials?  That would explain why they wave off a flag occasionally.  This particular senario is a little weird.

11 hours ago, tvc184 said:

Plenty of people.

It wasn't a question on potentially changing the outcome of a game but the clarification of a rule. I could care less who won the game but it seems interesting to me. 

Part of my point is this.. Sometimes you can't expect a lopsided game to be called exactly the same as a close game.  Perhaps the officials just felt sorry for BC at that point.  BC's coach started ranting about a call...so they threw him a bone.  Who knows...and as I stated before.  Who cares.

I would like to think that in a closer game this probably would not have happened.  Made a call after the fact I mean.. but who knows.  Maybe it was just a bad officiating crew.

13 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

How long does it take for an official to spot the ball? 

Every time we wanted to go nascar on Central they took their sweet time, 3 times it happened with no substitutions made by us, just asking for clarification. 

Well the Houston crew y'all had should've  had 7 guys so they should've been quicker. depends on the speed of the officials but also if ball goes out and the teams ball boys aren't paying attention or slow getting a new one in can hinder.

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Part of my point is this.. Sometimes you can't expect a lopsided game to be called exactly the same as a close game.  Perhaps the officials just felt sorry for BC at that point.  BC's coach started ranting about a call...so they threw him a bone.  Who knows...and as I stated before.  Who cares.

I would like to think that in a closer game this probably would not have happened.  Made a call after the fact I mean.. but who knows.  Maybe it was just a bad officiating crew.

I think the officials were already planning on discussing it and Dubois just so happened to be on the field around the refs. Could be wrong but don't think Dubois was the reason for the late flag.At first glance, I felt it was the other way around but now that I have thought about it, I feel different.