This is the whats in the mind of BG and 14.2!!!!!!!

Stattrax

3 hours ago, prepballfan said:

One more video for you 14.2..... My highschool fanatic brother...

This is a reminder for you of what its like to play in mid-december....   Its alot of fun

#playingmiddecember  #35000Indianfans   #6statechampionshiptrips  #3statechampionships   #8semifinalappearances  #10quaterfinalappearances  #thebigteepee  #cherokee  #rank3rdinthenation

Glad you got that on VHS, otherwise none of the kids in high school would be old enough to remember. Most weren't born yet. The seniors in that game have a 20 year class reunion coming up soon. PNG was Prep, Crosby is.

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Glad you got that on VHS, otherwise none of the kids in high school would be old enough to remember. Most weren't born yet. The seniors in that game have a 20 year class reunion coming up soon. PNG was Prep, Crosby is.

Yet this game was 39 years AFTER Crosby's most recent appearance in a State Championship game.

6 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

All the rest of us do.!hiw was your last visit to the championship game there at Crosby?    Lol

41 minutes ago, CCRed said:

I just realized almost every post made by someone from PNG should be moved to the Southeast Texas Football Team Histories thread. 

You took the words out of my mouth.... Only problem is that I thumbed through the whole state of Texas in alphabetical order.... And there is no Team History for Crosby..............

13 minutes ago, Stattrax said:

You took the words out of my mouth.... Only problem is that I thumbed through the whole state of Texas in alphabetical order.... And there is no Team History for Crosby..............

That's exactly what I'm talking about.  Someone posts a "prediction" thread or a link to a pre-season poll about the upcoming season, and you guys immediately start thumbing through the History books.  I wonder if the coach tells the players after a loss:  "That's ok kids, your grandpa's team beat them when they played."  Relating stats of current players, still on the team,  is one thing, but going back decades, really ?

8 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Yet this game was 39 years AFTER Crosby's most recent appearance in a State Championship game.

Completely different times Grad. Most say the "Crosby Cougars" have never played in a state championship game because the last time Crosby High School made the title game the school wasn't integrated with kids that played at Charles R. Drew. You can say we've never been, just like the vast majority of all the schools that are benefiting from the Houston population explosion. Same schools SETX gets continually punished by, even though they have history not a single kid at GR, Foster, Elkins or Manvel would even know about because their school didn't exist.

Prep posting that film makes PNG look even more sad to me because it means they actually used to be able to compete not that long ago, nearly 20 years later they have a declining enrollment and live in an area that's contracting in general. 3 of the 4 teams that played in the 5A title games were first time schools that have been open less than 10 years, Cedar Park is considered a traditional power and didn't even exist the last time PNG made the title game. That history means a lot over there, it doesn't mean squat to anybody in the Houston area because they cheer for teams that are good in this era. La Marque has 5 state championships, you think that still carries weight over here? North Shore won a title in '03 and still couldn't wait to get rid of the coach because they saw Katy, Pearland, Cy Ranch, etc. were all playing for titles in the mean time.

People here get stuck on history, which is exactly why people have to start thread on what it takes to get un-stuck from that history.      

22 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Completely different times Grad. Most say the "Crosby Cougars" have never played in a state championship game because the last time Crosby High School made the title game the school wasn't integrated with kids that played at Charles R. Drew. You can say we've never been, just like the vast majority of all the schools that are benefiting from the Houston population explosion. Same schools SETX gets continually punished by, even though they have history not a single kid at GR, Foster, Elkins or Manvel would even know about because their school didn't exist.

Prep posting that film makes PNG look even more sad to me because it means they actually used to be able to compete not that long ago, nearly 20 years later they have a declining enrollment and live in an area that's contracting in general. 3 of the 4 teams that played in the 5A title games were first time schools that have been open less than 10 years, Cedar Park is considered a traditional power and didn't even exist the last time PNG made the title game. That history means a lot over there, it doesn't mean squat to anybody in the Houston area because they cheer for teams that are good in this era. La Marque has 5 state championships, you think that still carries weight over here? North Shore won a title in '03 and still couldn't wait to get rid of the coach because they saw Katy, Pearland, Cy Ranch, etc. were all playing for titles in the mean time.

People here get stuck on history, which is exactly why people have to start thread on what it takes to get un-stuck from that history.      

I get what you are saying and history doesn't get you a free pass.  On Thursday of next week, every team in this state will be 0-0 and what happened 20 years ago, 2 years ago or even last year won't mean squat.  Which, I might add is a good thing because last year, the Port Neches-Groves Indians got just as close to the Class 5A, Division II state championship as the Crosby Cougars.

So what do you gain, by poo-pooing PN-G's storied past?  Dismissing it doesn't give Crosby a leg up this year and it doesn't change Crosby's history, either. Sure, if Drew and Crosby High had integrated, the Cougars may have made a few more championship games.  But there are several in our coverage area that can make that claim.  If Wallace High (who earned back to back PVIL titles in the 1950s) had merged with Orange High and West Orange High much sooner, I'd lay pretty good odds that WO-S would have a couple of more titles under their belt.  What could have stopped that from occurring is if Port Arthur High (later Thomas Jefferson who had some success on its own), Lincoln High (who also garnered a few PVIL championships) and Port Acres High (later Stephen F. Austin) would have merged before the 1990s, which would have greatly increased Memorial's chances of title success.  And neither of those probably would have occurred if the South Park ISD had not waited until being ordered by a federal judge in 1981 to merge Forest Park High with Hebert High, who had made the PVIL its personal playground, thus giving West Brook a pretty good shot at more titles.

This year, Crosby has an excellent team led by a great coach with as, you and others have demonstrated, a very enthusiastic fan base.  And yes, Crosby has a better than average chance of playing deep into December.  But Crosby folks should know this better than anyone, the number of wins in the past few years will get you the same as PN-G's past titles will, nada.

25 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

I get what you are saying and history doesn't get you a free pass.  On Thursday of next week, every team in this state will be 0-0 and what happened 20 years ago, 2 years ago or even last year won't mean squat.  Which, I might add is a good thing because last year, the Port Neches-Groves Indians got just as close to the Class 5A, Division II state championship as the Crosby Cougars.

So what do you gain, by poo-pooing PN-G's storied past?  Dismissing it doesn't give Crosby a leg up this year and it doesn't change Crosby's history, either. Sure, if Drew and Crosby High had integrated, the Cougars may have made a few more championship games.  But there are several in our coverage area that can make that claim.  If Wallace High (who earned back to back PVIL titles in the 1950s) had merged with Orange High and West Orange High much sooner, I'd lay pretty good odds that WO-S would have a couple of more titles under their belt.  What could have stopped that from occurring is if Port Arthur High (later Thomas Jefferson who had some success on its own), Lincoln High (who also garnered a few PVIL championships) and Port Acres High (later Stephen F. Austin) would have merged before the 1990s, which would have greatly increased Memorial's chances of title success.  And neither of those probably would have occurred if the South Park ISD had not waited until being ordered by a federal judge in 1981 to merge Forest Park High with Hebert High, who had made the PVIL its personal playground, thus giving West Brook a pretty good shot at more titles.

This year, Crosby has an excellent team led by a great coach with as, you and others have demonstrated, a very enthusiastic fan base.  And yes, Crosby has a better than average chance of playing deep into December.  But Crosby folks should know this better than anyone, the number of wins in the past few years will get you the same as PN-G's past titles will, nada.

Wait, a PNG fan posts a video from 1999. I say it's irrelevant due to the entire Texas landscape changing since then. You say PNG got to the title game 39 years after Crosby. I say that some people don't think "Crosby" even got there in '60 and you start telling me about what COULD'VE happened historically all over SETX???????? Then you go further on a tangent somewhere just to come back the initial point that I made which is "who cares about nearly 20 years ago".

You're saying don't "poo-poo" what PNG did nearly two decades ago and then immediately talk out of the other side of your mouth and say " . . . 2 years ago or even last year won't mean squat." So care about 20 years ago but don't care about a time that actually still has players on the team? It's typical SETX logic at its finest.

At the end of the day the statewide media doesn't try to write false stories and prognosticators don't intentionally try to make wrong picks. As the landscape sits today they only write about and pick Crosby, you "poo-pooing" a title prediction from someone in Dallas or Austin that get paid to do it in favor of trying to school me on school's SETX history is exactly why people can't see the forest for the trees and get continually crushed when they roll into Houston or Central Texas.  

6 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Wait, a PNG fan posts a video from 1999. I say it's irrelevant due to the entire Texas landscape changing since then. You say PNG got to the title game 39 years after Crosby. I say that some people don't think "Crosby" even got there in '60 and you start telling me about what COULD'VE happened historically all over SETX???????? Then you go further on a tangent somewhere just to come back the initial point that I made which is "who cares about nearly 20 years ago".

You're saying don't "poo-poo" what PNG did nearly two decades ago and then immediately talk out of the other side of your mouth and say " . . . 2 years ago or even last year won't mean squat." So care about 20 years ago but don't care about a time that actually still has players on the team? It's typical SETX logic at its finest.

At the end of the day the statewide media doesn't try to write false stories and prognosticators don't intentionally try to make wrong picks. As the landscape sits today they only write about and pick Crosby, you "poo-pooing" a title prediction from someone in Dallas or Austin that get paid to do it in favor of trying to school me on school's SETX history is exactly why people can't see the forest for the trees and get continually crushed when they roll into Houston or Central Texas.  

No you wait.  YOU sere the one talking about being such "powerhouse" because Crosby had won 40 games in recent history, not me.  And when a PN-G guys posts video of a 1999 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP game, YOU were the one who made the crack about the players of that game approaching.  Then when it was noted that, by me, that the last (and for that matter ONLY) time Crosby even made a State Championship game occurred was some 39 years before. YOU counter with "Oh that is a different time!" and that Crosby's best players were playing for the all black school implying that if they had merged that history might have been different.  When I point out CONCRETE examples that Crosby wasn't the only community that labored under those conditions, YOU want to tell me that I am talking out of my both sides of my mouth.

And now it "well, the media says we bad, so we bad" and then you retreat in your usual diatribe about SETX teams getting bounced by Houston and Centex teams as if Crosby is somehow different.  Here are the facts, that for all of the wins you have piled up over the likes of the Galena Parks and Porter have not gain Crosby a thing.  During this time where you have hailed as the "powerhouse" days of Crosby, the Cougars have won ZERO state titles.....heck, they haven't even played for one!  Another fact, in the MOST RECENT season, the teams history that you wish to dismiss as "irrelevent" reached THE SAME round of playoffs that Crosby did.  Another fact, while you try to distance yourself from the "SETX" schools, you have been bounced just as hard by the Houston and Centex teams in the playoffs as the "weak" SETX teams.

And what title predictions, Dave Campell's doesn't even have you getting to the State Championship game, much less winning the title.  But go ahead and print out the predictions, and the preseason accolades because if this season ends like most for the Cougars, that will be all you have to clutch to.

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

you can say what you want, but until you actually make history, then you can put us down until then hush!!! last time I checked as far as last year we made it as far as yall did and exited the same time you did, you act as if you are so much better than us but you really aren't.

20 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

No you wait.  YOU sere the one talking about being such "powerhouse" because Crosby had won 40 games in recent history, not me.  And when a PN-G guys posts video of a 1999 STATE CHAMPIONSHIP game, YOU were the one who made the crack about the players of that game approaching.  Then when it was noted that, by me, that the last (and for that matter ONLY) time Crosby even made a State Championship game occurred was some 39 years before. YOU counter with "Oh that is a different time!" and that Crosby's best players were playing for the all black school implying that if they had merged that history might have been different.  When I point out CONCRETE examples that Crosby wasn't the only community that labored under those conditions, YOU want to tell me that I am talking out of my both sides of my mouth.

And now it "well, the media says we bad, so we bad" and then you retreat in your usual diatribe about SETX teams getting bounced by Houston and Centex teams as if Crosby is somehow different.  Here are the facts, that for all of the wins you have piled up over the likes of the Galena Parks and Porter have not gain Crosby a thing.  During this time where you have hailed as the "powerhouse" days of Crosby, the Cougars have won ZERO state titles.....heck, they haven't even played for one!  Another fact, in the MOST RECENT season, the teams history that you wish to dismiss as "irrelevent" reached THE SAME round of playoffs that Crosby did.  Another fact, while you try to distance yourself from the "SETX" schools, you have been bounced just as hard by the Houston and Centex teams in the playoffs as the "weak" SETX teams.

And what title predictions, Dave Campell's doesn't even have you getting to the State Championship game, much less winning the title.  But go ahead and print out the predictions, and the preseason accolades because if this season ends like most for the Cougars, that will be all you have to clutch to.

well said lol

37 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

THIS.  !    Pretty much what I have been saying last year and this year.  Teams that have no history love to bash the teams that do when they bring it up.

47 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

What man????????????????? Crosby used to beat Drew????????????? Where the heck did you get the inference that I said joining the two would make a difference?????????????? Several times a couple of years ago, including in Riordan's interview, it was said that Crosby never made it past the third round. What are YOU talking about man? Don't put words in my mouth to try to make a point you missed on. I don't say we're big and bad, I let the writers say that then I relay it accordingly. So yeah, we have piled up wins over Porter and Galena Park, as well as Dayton, Nederland, King, PNG, Angleton, Brenham, Hutto and Port Lavaca. I know who the "powerhouses" are, which exactly why I don't worry about those teams east of the river but that's "poo-pooing" them in some kind of way? lol, smh. There was more than one publication last year that picked us to win, this year both DC's and FNF have us in the semis. This is the title prognostication from this year, maybe my data analyst made this up for me and you and the PNG folks are the ones that are correct though:  

• Cougar14.2
  •  
  • Cougar14.2
  • Members
  • 1,977 posts
  • LocationCrosby, TX

LSG 2016 5A Championship Predictions

• By
    This is the hidden content, please
  • Updated: July 20, 2016

Some shakeups at the top?

According to our

, here is what we predict will happen from the Regionals forward in the playoffs this year.

(Links are to team history pages)

Division I

Division II

Region I

Region I

Denton Ryan Raiders   Aledo Bearcats
(winner)

(winner)

Region II

Region II

Dallas Highland Park Scots   Frisco Lone Star Rangers
(winner)

(winner)

Region III

Region III

Cedar Park Timberwolves   Crosby Cougars
(winner)

(winner)

Region IV

Region IV

Richmond Foster Falcons   Corpus Christi Calallen Wildcats
(winner)

(winner)

Semifinals:

Semifinals:

(winner)

(winner)

Semifinals:

Semifinals:

(winner)

(winner)

Championship:

Championship:

(winner)

(winner)

Matter of fact, you can read it for yourself Grad. There's being relevant and then there's history. Like I said, I'm not writing it, I'm relaying it. Even mentions that trophy so many people on here talk about:

Expectations high for Crosby football team

By Adam Coleman,By Adam Coleman

August 5, 2016

It's hard not to stare driving through Crosby. 

The Cougar Stadium renovations gleam as does the new scoreboard. The school's new high school campus brings just as much excitement. And the football team's recent success matches those additions.

This is no longer a school hidden in the pockets of east Houston. It's a brand name with only one thing missing in the trophy cabinet.

Ranked No. 2 in the Greater Houston Area Class 5A preseason rankings, Crosby enters 2016 with high expectations as always. 

The Cougars do so in a vastly different Class 5A landscape than there was last year. For example, the team that eliminated them in the area round last year, Ridge Point, resides with the bigger boys of Class 6A now. It was Crosby's only loss in 2015. Last year's Class 5A state champion, George Ranch, is in Class 6A now as well.

That doesn't mean Class 5A is suddenly a breeze.

"Even though George Ranch is going up to 6A, Manvel is coming down into 5A," Crosby coach Jeff Riordan said. "You still have Foster here. You still have Angleton. You still have a bunch of other good teams in the Houston area that have a great chance at being in Arlington in December."

HS SPORTS

And it's Crosby that welcomes Manvel to Class 5A in Week 1 in a showdown between potential state champions. There is Katy-Westlake, Westfield-Lamar and then, there is this game. 

Riordan said it's a chance to figure out what kind of team he has and it's an opponent that will prepare the Cougars for the looming eight-game district slate.

It's not an easy district, either. Early in district play, famed coach Tom Westerberg – formerly of Allen – brings a revitalized Barbers Hill team into Cougar Stadium. Now with C.E. King in Class 6A, too, Dayton figures to be a top challenger to favorite Crosby. A New Caney team that gave Crosby a scare last year awaits at the end of the regular season.

"Our district is always fun and exciting," Riordan said. "You've got to be on every week."

Crosby will have loads of offense to combat that.

Mannie Netherly debuts at quarterback. He's more known as an LSU pledge at receiver, but with Tristen Cotton gone, Riordan opted to remain athletic at the most crucial position on the field.

Behind Netherly is what counts, too. Running back Carlos Grace – a Houston commitment - returns from an ACL injury that put a dent in Crosby's chances for a deep playoff run last year. Picking up for Grace last year was speedster Craig Williams.

Crosby has all the tools to be this year's George Ranch. Riordan said it takes a little bit of everything to make that happen.

"Being a part of a state championship team and a state championship run before, it take a little bit of luck," Riordan said. "It takes your kids gelling at peaking at the right time. You get there Week 16 and the team that's the hottest and the team that's the healthiest usually prevails."

Using your logic Hightower is on par with Trinity because they both lost in the first round last year. 

*pm me if it's against the rules so I can take it down. 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

What man????????????????? Crosby used to beat Drew????????????? Where the heck did you get the inference that I said joining the two would make a difference?????????????? Several times a couple of years ago, including in Riordan's interview, it was said that Crosby never made it past the third round. What are YOU talking about man? Don't put words in my mouth to try to make a point you missed on. I don't say we're big and bad, I let the writers say that then I relay it accordingly. So yeah, we have piled up wins over Porter and Galena Park, as well as Dayton, Nederland, King, PNG, Angleton, Brenham, Hutto and Port Lavaca. I know who the "powerhouses" are, which exactly why I don't worry about those teams east of the river but that's "poo-pooing" them in some kind of way? lol, smh. There was more than one publication last year that picked us to win, this year both DC's and FNF have us in the semis. This is the title prognostication from this year, maybe my data analyst made this up for me and you and the PNG folks are the ones that are correct though:  

• Cougar14.2
  •  
  • Cougar14.2
  • Members
  • 1,977 posts
  • LocationCrosby, TX

LSG 2016 5A Championship Predictions

• By
  • Updated: July 20, 2016

Some shakeups at the top?

According to our

, here is what we predict will happen from the Regionals forward in the playoffs this year.

(Links are to team history pages)

Division I

Division II

Region I

Region I

(winner)

(winner)

Region II

Region II

Dallas Highland Park Scots   Frisco Lone Star Rangers
(winner)

(winner)

Region III

Region III

(winner)

(winner)

Region IV

Region IV

Richmond Foster Falcons   Corpus Christi Calallen Wildcats
(winner)

(winner)

Semifinals:

Semifinals:

(winner)

(winner)

Semifinals:

Semifinals:

(winner)

(winner)

Championship:

Championship:

(winner)

(winner)

remember that, because that is as close as Crosby will get, only a dream, im gonna keep that back in my memory so I can remind you when you get knocked out

All this talk of powerhouses got me to thinking. We are discussing powerhouses and haven't even mentioned the one we have right here under our noses. The defending SC WOS Mustangs. which by the way is a SETX team. I know we are NOT supposed to win state over here.I know its impossibe. Yet here they are going for a possible 3rd straight trip to state.

3 minutes ago, prepballfan said:

All this talk of powerhouses got me to thinking. We are discussing powerhouses and haven't even mentioned the one we have right here under our noses. The defending SC WOS Mustangs. which by the way is a SETX team. I know we are NOT supposed to win state over here.I know its impossibe. Yet here they are going for a possible 3rd straight trip to state.

Thanks for the love, but every Mustang coach, player and fan knows that there is a long way between now and November (and hopefully December) and there is a lot of work to put in and a lot of obstacles that can derail things.

2 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Thanks for the love, but every Mustang coach, player and fan knows that there is a long way between now and November (and hopefully December) and there is a lot of work to put in and a lot of obstacles that can derail things.

I agree......Lots of luck to you